Created by: Ennis
Team: 2023-24 Nashville Predators
Initial Creation Date: Aug. 6, 2023
Published: Aug. 6, 2023
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Trades
NSH
    SAN JOSE:

We all knew nobody was going to pay that albatross original asking price. We also knew he was asking high to start negotiations. But, damn, what a bad return.

You moved EK with retention, took back three cap dumps, and all you got out of it was a late first? I would absolutely hate to see what his return would be if they decided to keep him for another year and trade him if his numbers dropped. Yeesh.

San Jose's blueline is atrocious now (which is fine when you are 'rebuilding'). But it seems like Grier is allergic to puck movers? A D core full of big body DFD's but not a defenseman that can make an exit pass to save his life. And who in gods name is going to play the quarterback on a powerplay?

Ferraro - Rutta
    Vlasic - Benning
    Simek - Knyzhov/Burroughs/MacDonald
    SJS
    NSH
      MONTREAL:

A very weird team to be involved, and some head scratching Hughes decisions.

Good on you for dumping Hoffman, but why bring Petry back? We know he's a "capable" defender, but Montreal already has a blueline STACKED with blooming young talent much more deserving of the ice time. You just clogged up the pipeline with an aging vet you did a good job getting rid of in the first place. I understand wanting to bring in vets for the young core, and Petry probably has a good relationship with the city (I'm guessing here?), but there are other options available.

But hey, you got a late second in 2025, so that's good... I guess..
      MTL
      NSH
        PITTSBURGH:

The clear winners of the trade. Getting EK at 10m, dumping Rutta and that brutal Granny contract, acquiring a depth player in Pitlick, and getting a 2026 3rd for a bit of retention.

Dubas masterclass, and they should bounce right back into that wildcard spot if everyone can stay healthy.
        PIT
        Buyouts
        Retained Salary Transactions
        DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
        Logo of the NSH
        Logo of the NSH
        Logo of the TBL
        Logo of the WPG
        Logo of the NSH
        Logo of the DAL
        Logo of the NSH
        Logo of the CHI
        Logo of the EDM
        Logo of the NSH
        Logo of the DAL
        Logo of the NSH
        Logo of the TBL
        Logo of the NSH
        Logo of the NSH
        Logo of the NSH
        Logo of the NSH
        Logo of the NSH
        Logo of the NSH
        Logo of the NSH
        Logo of the NSH
        Logo of the NSH
        Logo of the NSH
        Logo of the NSH
        Logo of the NSH
        ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
        22$83,500,000$75,593,365$0$352,500$7,906,635
        Left WingCentreRight Wing
        Logo of the Nashville Predators
        $3,185,000$3,185,000
        LW, RW
        UFA - 2
        $4,500,000$4,500,000
        C
        UFA - 4
        $850,000$850,000
        RW, LW
        UFA - 1
        $1,700,000$1,700,000
        LW, C
        UFA - 1
        $2,857,143$2,857,143
        C, RW
        UFA - 3
        $797,500$797,500 (Performance Bonus$82,500$82K)
        RW
        RFA - 2
        $863,333$863,333 (Performance Bonus$212,500$212K)
        LW, RW
        RFA - 1
        $2,500,000$2,500,000
        C, RW
        RFA - 2
        $775,000$775,000
        RW, LW
        UFA - 1
        $775,000$775,000
        LW, RW
        UFA - 1
        $850,833$850,833 (Performance Bonus$57,500$58K)
        C
        RFA - 1
        $800,000$800,000
        C
        UFA - 1
        $775,000$775,000
        C, LW
        UFA - 1
        Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
        $9,059,000$9,059,000
        LD
        NMC
        UFA - 5
        $4,500,000$4,500,000
        RD
        UFA - 1
        $5,000,000$5,000,000
        G
        UFA - 2
        $6,750,000$6,750,000
        LD
        NTC
        UFA - 3
        $2,750,000$2,750,000
        RD
        UFA - 3
        $2,000,000$2,000,000
        G
        UFA - 1
        $2,000,000$2,000,000
        LD/RD
        UFA - 3
        $2,500,000$2,500,000
        RD
        UFA - 1
        $2,500,000$2,500,000
        RD
        UFA - 1
        ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
        $8,500,000$8,500,000
        LW
        NMC
        UFA - 7

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
        • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
        Aug. 6, 2023 at 2:01 p.m.
        JimmyPaek
        SJ will be getting a pick in the 18-22 range. That’s hardly bad when they just moved 40M in salary they didn’t need. We are not a contender and we need to stop pretending.
        Prime_Jimbo liked this.
        Aug. 6, 2023 at 2:03 p.m.
        Quoting: edeangel84
        SJ will be getting a pick in the 18-22 range. That’s hardly bad when they just moved 40M in salary they didn’t need. We are not a contender and we need to stop pretending.

I imagine if the team can stay healthy and EK can put up AT LEAST 60+ points on that blueline, one of those wildcard spots are theirs. Even if it's in the 18 range that's still kind of crappy considering how much salary they took back in bad players. You'd think adding another 2nd or a piece like Ty Smith would be involved
        Aug. 6, 2023 at 2:04 p.m.
        MTL dumps Hoffman and Pitlick for a 2nd rd pick. That’s a win. Petry and DeSmith are throw ins that allow us to flip them for assets

Don’t forget that PIT retains 25% of Petrys contract. When MTL flips him and retains 50%, the acquiring team will get him at 2.34M$. That’s a bargain for a veteran offensive dman.
        Aug. 6, 2023 at 2:06 p.m.
        Montreal will retain half of Petry and now he suddenly become a asset. Petry is still capable of playing 20+minutes. He is a good skater, good a blistering shot nd can join the rush as well. Montreal can probably get back a nice return from a team who need depth on the right side. The fact that petry is a Rhd still make him in demand. Now that the salary is a non factor he because interesting again.
        LumberJacques liked this.
        For MTL, Engels reports that the idea is that they are looking to retain salary and trade Petry. At about $2.3m he might find a suitor, certainly easier than moving Hoffman.
        MTLaveragefan liked this.
        Prime Primeau
        The first will be in the 11-18 range. Not that bad
        Aug. 6, 2023 at 2:08 p.m.
        Banned
        Quoting: MONSTER1974
        MTL dumps Hoffman and Pitlick for a 2nd rd pick. That’s a win. Petry and DeSmith are throw ins that allow us to flip them for assets

Don’t forget that PIT retains 25% of Petrys contract. When MTL flips him and retains 50%, the acquiring team will get him at 2.34M$. That’s a bargain for a veteran offensive dman.

Montreal made out better than SJ IMO. Like you said, they dump Hoffman was basically immoveable. DeSmith is still an above average back-up, so he's not a waste even if he stays and yes, Petry probably gets flips and easier to do so at a discounted rate, so this deal may start to look even better.

SJ? Hoffman + Granlund + Rutta + $12.25M, so they added cap space and got a 1st.
        Ennis and LumberJacques liked this.
        Aug. 6, 2023 at 2:08 p.m.
        Quoting: LumberJacques
        For MTL, Engels reports that the idea is that they are looking to retain salary and trade Petry. At about $2.3m he might find a suitor, certainly easier than moving Hoffman.

Quoting: Joblow
        Montreal will retain half of Petry and now he suddenly become a asset. Petry is still capable of playing 20+minutes. He is a good skater, good a blistering shot nd can join the rush as well. Montreal can probably get back a nice return from a team who need depth on the right side. The fact that petry is a Rhd still make him in demand. Now that the salary is a non factor he because interesting again.

Quoting: MONSTER1974

My comment on them taking back Petry was in the event that they decide to keep him for a year then flip him when he's expiring. Which, In my humble opinion, would suck considering they have all of that talent on the back end who should be playing instead. I also heard Petry was traded from MTL originally because he wanted out? I dunno if that's what happened but that's why I was confused.

If they can find a suitor to take Petry before the season starts, it's a win.
        LumberJacques liked this.
        Aug. 6, 2023 at 2:10 p.m.
        Quoting: Mr_Gardoki
        Montreal made out better than SJ IMO. Like you said, they dump Hoffman was basically immoveable. DeSmith is still an above average back-up, so he's not a waste even if he stays and yes, Petry probably gets flips and easier to do so at a discounted rate, so this deal may start to look even better.

SJ? Hoffman + Granlund + Rutta + $12.25M, so they added cap space and got a 1st.

Grier got fleeced.
        Mr_Gardoki and CD282 liked this.
        Aug. 6, 2023 at 2:13 p.m.
        Future Ducks legend
        Quoting: Ennis
        I imagine if the team can stay healthy....

That's a HUGE if.
        edeangel84 liked this.
        Quoting: GuyGuyGuy
        The first will be in the 11-18 range. Not that bad

In last years draft class maybe, the 2024 class won't be as stacked and considering they took back all of that salary in dumps and that's all they got back? They also moved out a 3rd in the process.
        JimmyPaek
        Quoting: Mr_Gardoki

Long term they are dumping 40M of Karlsson and getting another 1st. They did fine.
        Aug. 6, 2023 at 2:14 p.m.
        Quoting: GiggywithGibby
        That's a HUGE if.

Well, yeah, It's safe to assume that's what Dubas is banking on. As long as Geno, Sid and Letang are on the team, he will be pushing for contention. Dubas made out like a bandit here.
        jfkst1 liked this.
        Aug. 6, 2023 at 2:15 p.m.
        "Go sell ice cream!"

Until you buy the team from FSG, they'll be the ones that dictate the direction of the org. While I agree rebuilding now would have been the best COA, that option ended last summer when Letang and Malkin were extended. All have NMCs so trading them would not yield good returns. Ownership groups operate on profit. Rebuilding destroys short term profits. Also why SJ gave away Karlsson for so little trade value.
        Aug. 6, 2023 at 2:16 p.m.
        Long term they are dumping 40M of Karlsson and getting another 1st. They did fine.

OUT:

EK65 (13% RETENTION)
        2026 3rd

IN:

Jan Rutta
        Mikael Granlund
        Mike Hoffman
        2024 1st

I'm not gonna lie bro, that return stinks.
        LumberJacques and CD282 liked this.
        Aug. 6, 2023 at 2:17 p.m.
        Banned
        Grier got fleeced.

As I knew he would. He had no leverage what-so-ever.
        Ennis liked this.
        Aug. 6, 2023 at 2:18 p.m.
        Quoting: jfkst1
        Until you buy the team from FSG, they'll be the ones that dictate the direction of the org. While I agree rebuilding now would have been the best COA, that option ended last summer when Letang and Malkin were extended. All have NMCs so trading them would not yield good returns. Ownership groups operate on profit. Rebuilding destroys short term profits. Also why SJ gave away Karlsson for so little trade value.

That was my point as well. The org isn't going to tank revenue and rebuild. They won't do that as long as Sid, Geno, and Letang are around. When they retire, that's likely when a new era begins and they look to retool/rebuild.
        jfkst1 liked this.
        Aug. 6, 2023 at 2:18 p.m.
        JimmyPaek
        OUT:

EK65 (13% RETENTION)
        2026 3rd

IN:

Jan Rutta
        Mikael Granlund
        Mike Hoffman
        2024 1st

Hoffman gone next year, Rutta traded at the TDL. 40M off the books over the next 4 years. It’s not that bad.
        Aug. 6, 2023 at 2:19 p.m.
        Grierless Sharks Fan
        OUT:

EK65 (13% RETENTION)
        2026 3rd

IN:

Jan Rutta
        Mikael Granlund
        Mike Hoffman
        2024 1st

Go take a look back at the Meier and Buns trades.

He won the Duclair one. That's it.

HOW DOES HE STILL HAVE A JOB
        VAN
        SJ got off $40M on a contract that will probably go sour quick. Karlsson has been an injury waiting to happen. The Pens are taking a massive risk and my guess is this will be Dubas last job for a while when he ruins Crosby's twilight years.

SJ are a terrible team so Granlund is a nothing burger. He might even be productive enough, as he will likely play up the wing, and turn into a TDL flip next year. This is a W for SJ. Montreal as well.
        edeangel84 and Just_A_Guess liked this.
        Hoffman gone next year, Rutta traded at the TDL. 40M off the books over the next 4 years. It’s not that bad.

Uhh, yeah, it still is bad. should have been a premium on taking that albatross Granlund contract alone. Grier got fleeced man.
        Banned

No, they didn't do fine, but he did about as good as he could expect with having no leverage and not having to retain $3-$4M.

They also didn't move $40M off the books. They simply replaced half of it. The $20M will come off in two years.
        Ennis and RecycleShark liked this.
        I also heard Petry was traded from MTL originally because he wanted out? I dunno if that's what happened but that's why I was confused.

Yeah his family stayed in the US during Covid quarantine so he asked for a trade to move south of the border to be closer to them (they lived in Michigan I think). His play suffered that year and the team was awful, some in MTL didn't like the manner of his departure and his return isn't exactly the cleanest.
        Ennis liked this.
        My comment on them taking back Petry was in the event that they decide to keep him for a year then flip him when he's expiring. Which, In my humble opinion, would suck considering they have all of that talent on the back end who should be playing instead. I also heard Petry was traded from MTL originally because he wanted out? I dunno if that's what happened but that's why I was confused.

If they can find a suitor to take Petry before the season starts, it's a win.

MTL’s logjam on defence is on the leftside. The right side is weak. Savard, Baron, Kovacevic. Petry improves us at a reasonable cap. He buys time for Mailloux and Reinbacher to make the squad.
        Just_A_Guess liked this.
        Aug. 6, 2023 at 2:20 p.m.
        Quoting: goodfella
        Go take a look back at the Meier and Buns trades.

He won the Duclair one. That's it.

HOW DOES HE STILL HAVE A JOB

The Meier trade was fine IMO. You didn't get Holtz, but you got Mukh and a bunch of picks.

To create a post please Login or Register
        Question:
        Options:
        Add Option
        Submit Poll