Logo of the Colorado Avalanche
$775,000$775,000
LD
UFA - 1
$987,500$987,500
LD/RD, LW
UFA - 1
ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
$7,000,000$7,000,000
LW, C
NMC
UFA - 6
$2,000,000$2,000,000
G
UFA - 1

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Oct. 2, 2023 at 10:47 a.m.
sensonfire
Ottawa accepts.
Riddick1919, Richard88 and Xspyrit liked this.
Oct. 2, 2023 at 10:49 a.m.
Like Okay
Ottawa would take that trade, Colorado even might be overpaying some.
Richard88 and TJTwolf liked this.
Oct. 2, 2023 at 11:00 a.m.
John 3 16
Quoting: Riddick1919

How much do you think Colorado is overpaying here? Which asset would you remove to make it fair (or what would you add on Ottawa's side to balance)?
Oct. 2, 2023 at 11:01 a.m.
Too much for a guy I think is most likely a good/very good 3C for his career. Take out Ritchie and I'm still not even sure about it. Would depend on how much money the team has to also re-sign Toews and everyone else going forward.
JoeROFLCOPTER and TJTwolf liked this.
Oct. 2, 2023 at 11:03 a.m.
Like Okay
Quoting: Richard88
How much do you think Colorado is overpaying here? Which asset would you remove to make it fair (or what would you add on Ottawa's side to balance)?

With Calum Ritchie included I think adding the 1st round pick could be removed and Ottawa would take iut
Richard88 liked this.
Oct. 2, 2023 at 11:04 a.m.
That’s a huge return for a guy coming off a 35 pt season. Functionally it’s 2 firsts, a 2nd, and Meyers (a guy who was heavily coveted as a college free agent, so let’s call him an equivalent to a top 100 pick).
Richard88 and TJTwolf liked this.
Oct. 2, 2023 at 11:43 a.m.
John 3 16
Quoting: turtlemountain
That’s a huge return for a guy coming off a 35 pt season. Functionally it’s 2 firsts, a 2nd, and Meyers (a guy who was heavily coveted as a college free agent, so let’s call him an equivalent to a top 100 pick).

Yeah I wasn't sure what value Pinto has, but have learned that it's usually more productive to over estimate offers on here than under-offering, as that typically leads to better discussion. Thanks for your feedback.
turtlemountain and NMAvsFan liked this.
Oct. 2, 2023 at 12:06 p.m.
Yeah I wasn't sure what value Pinto has, but have learned that it's usually more productive to over estimate offers on here than under-offering, as that typically leads to better discussion. Thanks for your feedback.

Alternatively, you can undervalue him and get called a moron. Try it, it’s fun!

I’m of the mind that the Avs should keep the bottom 6 on shorter term commitments to preserve flexibility. Johansen may not be the answer at 2C and his replacement likely costs more than $4M
NMAvsFan, AZWings and Richard88 liked this.
Oct. 2, 2023 at 12:19 p.m.
Representing the 505

That's a good strategy
turtlemountain and Richard88 liked this.
Oct. 2, 2023 at 12:24 p.m.
Representing the 505
I'd rather they keep Ritchie but I do think Pinto could be a good long-term solution at 3C; the 1st, Meyers and the 2nd could be enough. If Colton eventually moves to 2C once RyJo goes (or however it plays out), having the 3C position already sorted out would be nice. Then, if OO, Kovy and Richie (plus maybe JLF) all pan out to be good middle-six guys, they'll have enough space to re-sign Toews and bring Landy back in (or pay for his replacement) once they trade Manson. That's a lot of "if's" but it always is.
Richard88 liked this.
Oct. 2, 2023 at 12:49 p.m.
Edited Oct. 2, 2023 at 12:56 p.m.

That's what it would take for convincing Ottawa to move Pinto. Not sure they'd want futures though

With Calum Ritchie included I think adding the 1st round pick could be removed and Ottawa would take iut

A recently drafted prospect and a 2nd? Don't think so

A problem is people don't know that Ottawa didn't want to trade Pinto for DeBrincat last year and for Chychrun last March. They value him very highly

Quoting: NMAvsFan
1st, Meyers and 2nd could be enough.

But not for Ottawa

I don't know if you guys value Meyers at all but Sens wouldn't take him, they have several guys who could make the team now but no spots. It would be a costly AHL contract for them, thus reducing value obtained

They also know that first is a very late pick
Oct. 2, 2023 at 1:10 p.m.
Like Okay
Quoting: Xspyrit
That's what it would take for convincing Ottawa to move Pinto. Not sure they'd want futures though

A problem is people don't know that Ottawa didn't want to trade Pinto for DeBrincat last year and for Chychrun last March. They value him very highly

But not for Ottawa

I don't know if you guys value Meyers at all but Sens wouldn't take him, they have several guys who could make the team now but no spots. It would be a costly AHL contract for them, thus reducing value obtained

I doubt it.... Ottawa does value him, but he's just going to be their 3rd line center. Ritchie is a solid prospect, Greig could take over the 3rd line center spot and probably not miss a beat. Ottawa really needs to replenish their prospect cupboard for 1) assets to move to get over the top. 2) replenish a prospect cupboard that doesn't have much in the way of potential top 6 players. 3) cheap prospects to help with the salary cap. Ritchie and a few draft picks would help in that regard, and like I said having Greig who it is rumored ,might actually be a better fit for the center spot long-term. I agree Ottawa's first priority is to get him signed, but I don't believe they like him enough to overpay for him.
Oct. 2, 2023 at 1:20 p.m.

A problem is people don't know that Ottawa didn't want to trade Pinto for DeBrincat last year and for Chychrun last March. They value him very highly.

I'm not sure they do; if they did they would have prioritized getting his deal done before a bunch of the others.
Oct. 2, 2023 at 1:45 p.m.
John 3 16

But not for Ottawa

Not sure what return Ottawa could get if they move Pinto other than futures, given that they don't have any capspace. Teams generally don't move ELC players already contributing on their rosters so that seems unlikely. So unless Ottawa moves out money in the same deal or in a parallel deal they kinda have to take futures back.
NMAvsFan liked this.
Oct. 3, 2023 at 8:04 p.m.
I doubt it.... Ottawa does value him, but he's just going to be their 3rd line center. Ritchie is a solid prospect, Greig could take over the 3rd line center spot and probably not miss a beat. Ottawa really needs to replenish their prospect cupboard for 1) assets to move to get over the top. 2) replenish a prospect cupboard that doesn't have much in the way of potential top 6 players. 3) cheap prospects to help with the salary cap. Ritchie and a few draft picks would help in that regard, and like I said having Greig who it is rumored ,might actually be a better fit for the center spot long-term. I agree Ottawa's first priority is to get him signed, but I don't believe they like him enough to overpay for him.

What do you mean overpay? He's looking for 2.5 AAV x 2 years and will most likely have to settle for less for just one year

Yes he will play 3rd line center this season but he's still just 22 y/o, this season is not the end of the road for him on the team... And yes I believe Greig will be even better than him, but that doesn't mean they should trade him

Same for Jarventie who looks fantastic at Center this preseason

Quoting: AZWings
I'm not sure they do; if they did they would have prioritized getting his deal done before a bunch of the others.

Dorion has his own way of doing things lol, don't draw conclusions based on that

Not sure what return Ottawa could get if they move Pinto other than futures, given that they don't have any capspace. Teams generally don't move ELC players already contributing on their rosters so that seems unlikely. So unless Ottawa moves out money in the same deal or in a parallel deal they kinda have to take futures back.

Yes it's very unlikely that they'll move Pinto. It seems that Kubalik is the odd man out or there could be something else coming. People expected Thomson to end up on waivers, but not both JBD and Sokolov, it seems that they are targeting a 20 men roster lol
Oct. 4, 2023 at 2:08 a.m.
Like Okay
What do you mean overpay? He's looking for 2.5 AAV x 2 years and will most likely have to settle for less for just one year

Yes he will play 3rd line center this season but he's still just 22 y/o, this season is not the end of the road for him on the team... And yes I believe Greig will be even better than him, but that doesn't mean they should trade him

Same for Jarventie who looks fantastic at Center this preseason

Dorion has his own way of doing things lol, don't draw conclusions based on that

Yes it's very unlikely that they'll move Pinto. It seems that Kubalik is the odd man out or there could be something else coming. People expected Thomson to end up on waivers, but not both JBD and Sokolov, it seems that they are targeting a 20 men roster lol

It's shear asset mismanagement... On so many levels with so many questions?

1) What was the point in signing Travis Hamonic? You could've offered him a PTO and if he played well? offered him league minimum... But gave him 2 years!!! $1.1M... That $1.1M would've definitely helped sign Pinto by now without likely having to add a sweetener for Joseph. On top of that??!!! The idiot gave him a NMC so we can;'t waive or trade him... More on Joseph in a minute.... But it also locked down a spot knowing you had JBD & Thomson and that one of them was likely destined for waivers. But Dorion didn't move either of them? Guenette was Belleville's #1 defenseman by mid-season last season so Guenette winning a spot shouldn't have come as a surprise.

2) Mathieu Joseph? How is it he hasn't been put on waivers yet? He's the one player you'd want someone to take for free? I've heard he's turned down offers with sweeteners added like Tyler Boucher and even heard Thomson from San Jose... I'm guessing the San Jose rumor was false I mean he had to see the writing on the wall.... But Dorion had to know no one is likely to take him? But he seems to be holding out like someone will actually give us something for Joseph???

3) Why waive Sokolov but you hold onto Josh Bailey? I have to scratch my head on this one? Bailey has been nothing short of beyond brutal. He's slow, gives the puck away, and half asses it to try and get the puck back. You have to release Bailey before putting Sokolov on waivers.... Dorion has made some good moves but in terms of managing this team's depth? He absolutely deserves an "F" from training camp on... Staios sounds like he is unimpressed with Dorion's performance during training camp.
Oct. 4, 2023 at 11:39 a.m.

Yeah, no kidding. If they waive Kubalik he'll have traded a top 10 1st round pick, a 2nd round pick, and a 3rd round pick for a very conditional 1st round pick, a 4th round pick, and 1 year of Cat. grin
Oct. 4, 2023 at 8:02 p.m.
It's shear asset mismanagement... On so many levels with so many questions?

1) What was the point in signing Travis Hamonic? You could've offered him a PTO and if he played well? offered him league minimum... But gave him 2 years!!! $1.1M... That $1.1M would've definitely helped sign Pinto by now without likely having to add a sweetener for Joseph. On top of that??!!! The idiot gave him a NMC so we can;'t waive or trade him... More on Joseph in a minute.... But it also locked down a spot knowing you had JBD & Thomson and that one of them was likely destined for waivers. But Dorion didn't move either of them? Guenette was Belleville's #1 defenseman by mid-season last season so Guenette winning a spot shouldn't have come as a surprise.

2) Mathieu Joseph? How is it he hasn't been put on waivers yet? He's the one player you'd want someone to take for free? I've heard he's turned down offers with sweeteners added like Tyler Boucher and even heard Thomson from San Jose... I'm guessing the San Jose rumor was false I mean he had to see the writing on the wall.... But Dorion had to know no one is likely to take him? But he seems to be holding out like someone will actually give us something for Joseph???

3) Why waive Sokolov but you hold onto Josh Bailey? I have to scratch my head on this one? Bailey has been nothing short of beyond brutal. He's slow, gives the puck away, and half asses it to try and get the puck back. You have to release Bailey before putting Sokolov on waivers.... Dorion has made some good moves but in terms of managing this team's depth? He absolutely deserves an "F" from training camp on...

You're asking me why Dorion does the things he does? lol who knows? I would have done a lot of things differently, that's for sure

My defense :

Chabot - Chychrun
Brannstrom - Zub
Sanderson - JBD
Thomson

- I don't have pairings order, I roll them evenly at ES but them special teams and various game situations give more TOI to the big 3.
- JBD and Sanderson played together at ND. Sanderson made Hamonic respectable last season, he would really help JBD settle down at the NHL level
- Brannstrom and Zub have shown chemistry before
- Guenette can continue to develop in the AHL, he's waiver exempt
- Hamonic is not needed

Personally, I would not trade Joseph at all. We need him. And I sure hope we don't sign Bailey

Staios sounds like he is unimpressed with Dorion's performance during training camp.

Did you read anything regarding that? Do you have the link?

Quoting: AZWings
Yeah, no kidding. If they waive Kubalik he'll have traded a top 10 1st round pick, a 2nd round pick, and a 3rd round pick for a very conditional 1st round pick, a 4th round pick, and 1 year of Cat. grin

Should get something for Kubalik as well, that 1st isn't bad but overall, just another messed up situation in Dorion's book
Oct. 18, 2023 at 1:17 p.m.
Like Okay
You're asking me why Dorion does the things he does? lol who knows? I would have done a lot of things differently, that's for sure

My defense :

Chabot - Chychrun
Brannstrom - Zub
Sanderson - JBD
Thomson

- I don't have pairings order, I roll them evenly at ES but them special teams and various game situations give more TOI to the big 3.
- JBD and Sanderson played together at ND. Sanderson made Hamonic respectable last season, he would really help JBD settle down at the NHL level
- Brannstrom and Zub have shown chemistry before
- Guenette can continue to develop in the AHL, he's waiver exempt
- Hamonic is not needed

Personally, I would not trade Joseph at all. We need him. And I sure hope we don't sign Bailey

Did you read anything regarding that? Do you have the link?

Should get something for Kubalik as well, that 1st isn't bad but overall, just another messed up situation in Dorion's book

I dunno.... I look at it like this... The team has too many good players to pay. It's a good problem to have. Where I truly think Dorion got turned around was when the NHL stepped in and didn't allow Toronto to buy out Murray. That would've priovided Ottawa with an additional $1.6M in cap space. During training camp if you factor in Ottawa had $900K in space that would've given Ottawa $2.5M in cap space. But it happened and now Ottawa is forced into a spot where they might have to pay a team to take a good player off our roster. The one thing I will say Dorion messed up was the Hamonic signing. There was no need to bring him back. I would guess that would be the one real do-over Dorion would probably like you have a second chance at. I don't see Ottawa moving Kubalik, he was great in the preseason and thgey will want to see what he brings to a 3rd line role at a very cost effective cap hit. I still think the best option would be to trade Forsberg. I love the guy but Ottawa is so deep in net right now.
Oct. 18, 2023 at 2:16 p.m.
I dunno.... I look at it like this... The team has too many good players to pay. It's a good problem to have. Where I truly think Dorion got turned around was when the NHL stepped in and didn't allow Toronto to buy out Murray. That would've priovided Ottawa with an additional $1.6M in cap space. During training camp if you factor in Ottawa had $900K in space that would've given Ottawa $2.5M in cap space. But it happened and now Ottawa is forced into a spot where they might have to pay a team to take a good player off our roster. The one thing I will say Dorion messed up was the Hamonic signing. There was no need to bring him back. I would guess that would be the one real do-over Dorion would probably like you have a second chance at. I don't see Ottawa moving Kubalik, he was great in the preseason and thgey will want to see what he brings to a 3rd line role at a very cost effective cap hit. I still think the best option would be to trade Forsberg. I love the guy but Ottawa is so deep in net right now.

Yeah good problem but to have but Dorion acquired players at the detriment of the prospect pool, let's not forget

The Chychrun acquisition was needed and one of Dorion's best moves but DeBrincat was not (should have went for Chychrun right away), we could have any of Kevin Korchinski, Marco Kasper, Matthew Savoie, Pavel Mintyukov, Conor Geekie, Denton Mateychuk, Frank Nazar, Rutger McGroarty, Jonathan Lekkerimaki, Noah Ostlund, Joakim Kemell (the guys who were picked from the 7th OA pick)

So instead of having another top prospect, we have Kubalik and a problem to sign Pinto.

It's not the NHL that stepped in to not allow Toronto to buy out Murray, the guy is having a double hip surgery...

Hamonic is inconsequential, if he was not there, we'd have JBD or Guenette in his spot who make not even 300 000$ less

Kubalik doesn't fit, has no spot on the PP when Norris and Pinto are back, is not a 3 zones player and is UFA at the end of the season. Having Forsberg is much more important to the team, to have a solid tandem, to allow Sogaard to develop a bit more in the AHL, and to not LOWER their future chances to sign UFAs. You don't want to PISS OFF a guy you just signed for 5 years

And I say this as a huge Sogaard believer, I was saying 3+ years ago that he had Pekka Rinne potential.
Oct. 18, 2023 at 3:28 p.m.
Like Okay
Yeah good problem but to have but Dorion acquired players at the detriment of the prospect pool, let's not forget

The Chychrun acquisition was needed and one of Dorion's best moves but DeBrincat was not (should have went for Chychrun right away), we could have any of Kevin Korchinski, Marco Kasper, Matthew Savoie, Pavel Mintyukov, Conor Geekie, Denton Mateychuk, Frank Nazar, Rutger McGroarty, Jonathan Lekkerimaki, Noah Ostlund, Joakim Kemell (the guys who were picked from the 7th OA pick)

So instead of having another top prospect, we have Kubalik and a problem to sign Pinto.

It's not the NHL that stepped in to not allow Toronto to buy out Murray, the guy is having a double hip surgery...

Hamonic is inconsequential, if he was not there, we'd have JBD or Guenette in his spot who make not even 300 000$ less

Kubalik doesn't fit, has no spot on the PP when Norris and Pinto are back, is not a 3 zones player and is UFA at the end of the season. Having Forsberg is much more important to the team, to have a solid tandem, to allow Sogaard to develop a bit more in the AHL, and to not LOWER their future chances to sign UFAs. You don't want to PISS OFF a guy you just signed for 5 years

And I say this as a huge Sogaard believer, I was saying 3+ years ago that he had Pekka Rinne potential.

No it is because he has a NMC... Plus because he has an extra year on his contract as well. That $1.1M was relevant because what happens then is Chartier is likely in Belleville and Ottawa keeps an extra defenseman instead of an extra forward. Apparently Toronto tried to buy out Murray but Murray intervened to protect his full salary... Either way it threw a huge wrench into Ottawa's plans for Pinto. Plus Ottawa was trying to push ahead to make the playoffs. You can't ask Chabot and Tkachulk to be okay missing the playoffs the first 6+ of their years so that Ottawa can move up slowly. DeBrincat made sense, if he re-signed the compenasation we gave up would have been worth it. But we got a 1st rounder back and like I said I think Kubalik will turn out to be very useful for the Sens. If an injury hits, nice to have a 20 goal scorer moving up instead of a guy like a Watson, or Chartier, etc. This is an important year. Plus Pinto playing between Batherson and Pinto would be a frightening 3rd line.
Oct. 19, 2023 at 11:21 a.m.
No it is because he has a NMC... Plus because he has an extra year on his contract as well. That $1.1M was relevant because what happens then is Chartier is likely in Belleville and Ottawa keeps an extra defenseman instead of an extra forward. Apparently Toronto tried to buy out Murray but Murray intervened to protect his full salary... Either way it threw a huge wrench into Ottawa's plans for Pinto. Plus Ottawa was trying to push ahead to make the playoffs. You can't ask Chabot and Tkachulk to be okay missing the playoffs the first 6+ of their years so that Ottawa can move up slowly. DeBrincat made sense, if he re-signed the compenasation we gave up would have been worth it. But we got a 1st rounder back and like I said I think Kubalik will turn out to be very useful for the Sens. If an injury hits, nice to have a 20 goal scorer moving up instead of a guy like a Watson, or Chartier, etc. This is an important year. Plus Pinto playing between Batherson and Pinto would be a frightening 3rd line.

Hamonic's NMC doesn't matter unless you think you have a better player who could replace him. So far he's been fine in his role and it's better for Guenette, JBD and Thomson to continue develop in the AHL if they want to become NHL players. But agreed on the extra D-man instead of forward but that had more to do with Norris injury than anything

Regarding Murray, he didn't intervene to provoke a double hip surgery, he's really "damaged". That's why he is on LTIR

Also, I don' think Kubalik will be useful for the Sens and it's been the case so far, not at least there is injuries at the least. So I agree with that but the thing is we can't afford both Kubalik and Pinto, not with that 5 M$ in dead cap

Finally, Batherson NOT playing with Norris doesn't make sense, they both need each others and it's very evident

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll