SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/NHL

2023-24 NHL Season Discussion Thread #1: Here we Go!

Nov. 18, 2023 at 10:52 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Quoting: mondo
7B5Geav.png

I remember when Avs fans were crying when they didn't win the 2017 lottery. Really sucks they got bumped down to fourth and landed this scrub.

In general there were so many good choices in the top 10 of that draft well besides the 2OA pick 6OA and 7OA pick
CantStopWontStop liked this.
Nov. 19, 2023 at 12:26 a.m.
Master of Bloodsport
Never seen someone who's 6'5" 230lbs beat on as many pucks as Mantha was tonight. First game back from a nasty injury but good Lord.
Nov. 19, 2023 at 2:04 a.m.
Quoting: mondo
7B5Geav.png

I remember when Avs fans were crying when they didn't win the 2017 lottery. Really sucks they got bumped down to fourth and landed this scrub.

I remember being one. I liked Hischier, Heiskanen, and Pettersson in that draft as well as Oettinger but Makar seemed like a reach at the time even at #4. We were in such bad shape after that 2016 bomb of a season that drafting a kid that was 3-4 years away felt like we were in for a really rough time at the NHL level; the other guys were ready to step in right away. After losing O'Reilly it really felt like we needed to get a 2C type guy.

Thankfully Sakic & Co. had patience and foresight.
Nov. 19, 2023 at 7:24 a.m.
TheLeafsAbuseMe
Breakfast and hockey is going to be nice!
BigBallsBriere and Leafsfan98 liked this.
Nov. 19, 2023 at 8:26 a.m.
Wild seem to be finally giving Marco Rossi his chance as he is centering the top line of Zuccarello and Kaprizov again.
Eriksson-Ek with Hartman-Foligno in a matchup line.
Gaudreau with Boldy-MoJo getting lots of offensive zone starts.
Nov. 19, 2023 at 9:31 a.m.
Respect Mike Grier
Quoting: edeangel84
Ryan Graves has been beyond disappointing!

Lindy Ruff roasted the hell out of him the other day. In a gist, essentially said "That defensive structure made Gravy(Graves) a lot of money" there was more context but I'm to lazy to find it.

He's exactly right though. Graves played well because of where he was. and he cashed out.
zk97 and edeangel84 liked this.
Nov. 19, 2023 at 10:29 a.m.
JimmyPaek
Quoting: ARMCHAIRGMOFTHEYEAR
Lindy Ruff roasted the hell out of him the other day. In a gist, essentially said "That defensive structure made Gravy(Graves) a lot of money" there was more context but I'm to lazy to find it.

He's exactly right though. Graves played well because of where he was. and he cashed out.

If that’s true we are screwed. Sully knows one way to coach.
BigBallsBriere liked this.
Nov. 19, 2023 at 10:36 a.m.

Which also indicates a bad mistake for the Penguins pro scouting team to miss that he didn't have the skill/hockey IQ to play in their system successfully. Or maybe it's early in the season and he is still fitting in.
Nov. 19, 2023 at 10:54 a.m.
Respect Mike Grier
Quoting: HockeyScotty
Which also indicates a bad mistake for the Penguins pro scouting team to miss that he didn't have the skill/hockey IQ to play in their system successfully. Or maybe it's early in the season and he is still fitting in.

Imo he was the Devils 5th best dman, brought up because he played with Hamilton.

I never really liked the deal for PIT. Felt like a panic move by Dubas to improve team, for the final years of Crosby's career. Same with Jarry and Karlsson tbh. Although Karlsson has done what he's supposed to so far.

Their offseason felt very Hextall esque to me ngl.
HockeyScotty liked this.
Nov. 19, 2023 at 12:47 p.m.
Imo he was the Devils 5th best dman, brought up because he played with Hamilton.

I never really liked the deal for PIT. Felt like a panic move by Dubas to improve team, for the final years of Crosby's career. Same with Jarry and Karlsson tbh. Although Karlsson has done what he's supposed to so far.

The Karlsson deal was such a big swing that I admire the balls to do it; but am not sold it will work. EK65 is a great individual player but the team almost has to be completely built around him for it to be successful. That is a lot of cap for a long time tied up and will limit them; they already are seeing the impact on the wingers not being as productive as their salary expectations and their goalies getting exposed.

They certainly have the talent to turn it around but again, it's a big gamble.
Nov. 19, 2023 at 12:48 p.m.
Great article giving insight into how Carey Price is doing lately on NHL.com: Price talks life, future away from hockey in Part 1 of sit-down with NHL.comNHL.com
zk97 liked this.
Nov. 19, 2023 at 12:58 p.m.

That's pretty much what he was with the Avs too; a very good 3rd pair guy who could float up into top 4 in emergencies but not someone we were going to pay that type of money to.
Nov. 19, 2023 at 1:35 p.m.
Hakuna Matata

To be fair there is also the case where a player looks like they would adapt than dont. Many systems often are so specialized players just dont adapt

In general Graves to me never felt like a Dman for Pitt. I actually had him going to Carolina lul.

Funny enough Carolina and Pitt reversed who I thought would go where lul

As I had Orlov at 6m to Pitt.
HockeyScotty liked this.
Nov. 19, 2023 at 2:15 p.m.
Quoting: aadoyle
To be fair there is also the case where a player looks like they would adapt than dont. Many systems often are so specialized players just dont adapt

In general Graves to me never felt like a Dman for Pitt. I actually had him going to Carolina lul.

Funny enough Carolina and Pitt reversed who I thought would go where lul

As I had Orlov at 6m to Pitt.

Maybe that's a deal both teams would take right now!?
Nov. 19, 2023 at 2:51 p.m.
WentWughes
Patrik Laine is a healthy scratch tonight for #CBJ in Philadelphia.

He has no points in his last 4 games and only played just over 12 minutes in each of the last two. Ouch.
zk97 liked this.
Nov. 19, 2023 at 2:55 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Quoting: KSIxSKULLS
Patrik Laine is a healthy scratch tonight for #CBJ in Philadelphia.

He has no points in his last 4 games and only played just over 12 minutes in each of the last two. Ouch.

To me CBJ is just not the team for him. Since he left WPG he has never been the same

Honestly a return to WPG or a similar team should be explored

As it seems CBJ is built for very specific players and guys like him and Gaudreau just dont fit
KSIxSKULLS liked this.
Nov. 19, 2023 at 2:56 p.m.
WentWughes
To me CBJ is just not the team for him. Since he left WPG he has never been the same

As it seems CBJ is built for very specific players and guys like him and Gaudreau just dont fit

Laine was drafted with attitude issues, and now it's the 2nd team he's fumbled on. After awhile it's not just a coincidence.
Nov. 19, 2023 at 2:58 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Laine was drafted with attitude issues, and now it's the 2nd team he's fumbled on. After awhile it's not just a coincidence.

He did have attitude issues but then he seemed to get things in order but was bullied out of WPG by Wheeler and Scheifele

With a new leadership group and Wheeler gone I wonder if things would go better as to be fair there were a lot of guys with issues on that team many are gone now.
Nov. 19, 2023 at 3:21 p.m.

He did have attitude issues but then he seemed to get things in order but was bullied out of WPG by Wheeler and Scheifele

With a new leadership group and Wheeler gone I wonder if things would go better as to be fair there were a lot of guys with issues on that team many are gone now.

Laine would do great on a team like Carolina that has strong locker room, structure, and a big need for a finisher like him.
Nov. 19, 2023 at 3:24 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Laine would do great on a team like Carolina that has strong locker room, structure, and a big need for a finisher like him.

I have a feeling Brid'Amour would absolutely hate this guy

Thats the vibes I get. His system feels like something Laine would not be great at. Maybe not but I feel it just wouldnt work
Nov. 19, 2023 at 3:34 p.m.
Respect Mike Grier

Last 2 seasons he was great. PPG or just below PPG in both seasons, and was a little more responsible defensively last year. I think this year has just been tough, he was a bit frustrated at the start, then he got injured for a month, and he came back and the team already wasn't playing well, his issue right now is he needs a goal, that will get his confidence back a little. Gaudreau scored yesterday, I think we'll see him to start looking like himself again.

Also gonna note. Vincent has constantly juggled lines, no one has had time to gain chemistry, I think he's been saying the right things in interveiws but not a fan of how he's handled some situations this year.
Nov. 19, 2023 at 3:48 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Last 2 seasons he was great. PPG or just below PPG in both seasons, and was a little more responsible defensively last year. I think this year has just been tough, he was a bit frustrated at the start, then he got injured for a month, and he came back and the team already wasn't playing well, his issue right now is he needs a goal, that will get his confidence back a little. Gaudreau scored yesterday, I think we'll see him to start looking like himself again.

Also gonna note. Vincent has constantly juggled lines, no one has had time to gain chemistry, I think he's been saying the right things in interveiws but not a fan of how he's handled some situations this year.

He gave them the points but you could just tell the fits not entirely there. Its not like WPG where he was a monster. He had moments but to me CBJ is not a place for guys like this

Things could improve but I feel for either him or Gaudreau a move could be in the works.
Nov. 19, 2023 at 7:39 p.m.
St. Louis has about 8 years of plays tailor made for Tarasenko sitting in a drawer waiting for Patrick Laine.
Nov. 19, 2023 at 8:13 p.m.
In general there were so many good choices in the top 10 of that draft well besides the 2OA pick 6OA and 7OA pick

My favorite draft. Not only because my team got a good player…but because it was the ultimate underdog draft class. After 2015, 2016…everyone said it would be worst in decades.

Well..2017 is all growns up now.
Nov. 19, 2023 at 8:21 p.m.

Graves said Pittsburgh played the “polar opposite” type of structure in d-zone. To which, Lindy responded, “it made him a lot of $$”

He was good here…mostly a guy we let play and kinda forgot he was there. Low event dman.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll