Forums/Armchair-GM

Acquiring and signing Elias Lindholm like Bo Horvat Part 1

Created by: sensonfire
Team: 2023-24 Colorado Avalanche
Initial Creation Date: Dec. 22, 2023
Published: Dec. 22, 2023
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
Elliotte Friedman + Jeff Marek + Ray and Dregs all confirm that the Avs want Elias Lindholm.
Trades
COL
  1. Lindholm, Elias ($2,425,000 retained)
Additional Details:
Template is Beauvillier + Raty + Top 12 Protected 1st.
CGY
  1. Johansen, Ryan
  2. Olausson, Oskar
  3. 2024 1st round pick (COL)
Additional Details:
The 1st is Top 12 Protected.
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the COL
Logo of the SEA
Logo of the COL
Logo of the COL
Logo of the COL
Logo of the COL
Logo of the COL
Logo of the COL
Logo of the COL
Logo of the COL
Logo of the COL
Logo of the COL
Logo of the COL
Logo of the COL
Logo of the COL
Logo of the COL
Logo of the COL
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
23$83,500,000$76,575,000$637,500$0$6,925,000
Left WingCentreRight Wing
Logo of the Colorado Avalanche
$6,125,000$6,125,000
RW, LW
NMC
UFA - 7
$12,600,000$12,600,000
C
NMC
UFA - 8
$9,250,000$9,250,000
RW, C
M-NTC
UFA - 2
$2,500,000$2,500,000
LW
UFA - 6
Logo of the Calgary Flames
$2,425,000$2,425,000
C, RW
UFA - 1
$825,000$825,000
LW, RW
UFA - 1
$775,000$775,000
LW, C
UFA - 1
$4,000,000$4,000,000
C, LW
UFA - 4
$1,050,000$1,050,000
RW, LW
UFA - 2
$825,000$825,000
LW
UFA - 1
$775,000$775,000
C, LW
UFA - 1
$775,000$775,000
RW, LW
UFA - 1
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$4,100,000$4,100,000
LD
UFA - 1
$9,000,000$9,000,000
RD
UFA - 4
$3,400,000$3,400,000
G
UFA - 2
$3,850,000$3,850,000
LD/RD
RFA - 2
$4,500,000$4,500,000
RD
NTC
UFA - 3
$775,000$775,000
G
UFA - 1
$5,000,000$5,000,000
LD/RD
UFA - 4
$850,000$850,000
RD
RFA - 2
ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
$987,500$987,500
LD/RD, LW
UFA - 1
$7,000,000$7,000,000
LW, C
NMC
UFA - 6
$775,000$775,000
LD
UFA - 1
$4,500,000$4,500,000
LW, RW
NTC
UFA - 4
$775,000$775,000
LD/RD
UFA - 1
$2,000,000$2,000,000
G
UFA - 1

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Dec. 22, 2023 at 5:05 p.m.
Canucks only retained down to ~4m (25%) and took back 4m cap, probably need to throw in a little more for the extra retention. Maybe a 3rd/4th?
sensonfire liked this.
Dec. 22, 2023 at 5:12 p.m.
Hahaha. Canucks actually valued Beauvillier and Raty was considered a good prospect. Not only is RyJo a pure cap dump but Olausson is not remotely as good a prospect
sensonfire, Quaider11 and MoxNix liked this.
Dec. 22, 2023 at 5:24 p.m.
The problem is Lindholm is the best asset available at the deadline. There a team that will pay the higher price for him. I know you will be offended bit Olausson is not a good assets. I am not even sure if Gulayev or Ritchie would be enough.
sensonfire and MoxNix liked this.
Dec. 22, 2023 at 5:31 p.m.
From an outsider's perspective, I get the framework, but there's a few key differences between this proposed deal and the Horvat one from last year that I think are worth noting.

First, the Islanders at the time were on the playoff bubble, and their first round pick was expected to land in the middle of the first round of a very strong draft class (ultimately it landed at #17). By contrast, the Avs are expected to be cup contenders, so their first round pick this year will probably be closer to the end of the first round in not as strong of a draft class. Secondly, Räty was a higher rated prospect at the time he was traded than Olausson is currently. So I think the idea of the trade is sound, but Colorado would need to send a higher valued prospect than Olausson and add additional draft compensation of some sort to compensate for their first round pick likely being late in the round.
Ledge_And_Dairy and sensonfire liked this.
Dec. 22, 2023 at 5:38 p.m.
mokumboi
Quoting: Ledge_And_Dairy
Hahaha. Canucks actually valued Beauvillier and Raty was considered a good prospect. Not only is RyJo a pure cap dump but Olausson is not remotely as good a prospect

Ehh you had me 100% until the very end. Not only is OO an equal level prospect to Raty, some places have him ranked a little higher. He certainly within the radius of "remotely as good".

The biggest difference in this trade comp is trying to shoehorn RyJo as a BeauV equivalent. His contract is twice as long/expensive.
sensonfire liked this.
Dec. 22, 2023 at 5:47 p.m.
Quoting: KrakenTheCode
From an outsider's perspective, I get the framework, but there's a few key differences between this proposed deal and the Horvat one from last year that I think are worth noting.

First, the Islanders at the time were on the playoff bubble, and their first round pick was expected to land in the middle of the first round of a very strong draft class (ultimately it landed at #17). By contrast, the Avs are expected to be cup contenders, so their first round pick this year will probably be closer to the end of the first round in not as strong of a draft class. Secondly, Räty was a higher rated prospect at the time he was traded than Olausson is currently. So I think the idea of the trade is sound, but Colorado would need to send a higher valued prospect than Olausson and add additional draft compensation of some sort to compensate for their first round pick likely being late in the round.

This and it was widely reported that Vancouver was looking to add players 25 and under to their roster. Regardless of the trade with Chicago this year Beauvillier was absolutely viewed as a positive asset last year by the Canucks. I would go as far as saying he was viewed as similar to a 2nd round pick. If Vancouver didn't want Beau they could have easily retained more, gotten better futures and taken on an actual cap dimp like Bailey

RyJo on the other hand is literally on the wrong side of 30 and viewed entirely as a cap dump.
Dec. 22, 2023 at 5:50 p.m.
Quoting: mokumboi
Ehh you had me 100% until the very end. Not only is OO an equal level prospect to Raty, some places have him ranked a little higher. He certainly within the radius of "remotely as good".

The biggest difference in this trade comp is trying to shoehorn RyJo as a BeauV equivalent. His contract is twice as long/expensive.

Some places? Like what? Raty was ranked in the around 50th by the Hockey Writers and was an honorable mention in Scott Wheeler's top 50 list. Olausson doesn't even make either meaning he's not even considered a top 100 prospect in the league. If we look at their PNHLe graphs on Dobber Prospects Olausson is projected as a 20-25 point winger, Raty was projected as a 35-40 point center
Dec. 22, 2023 at 6:03 p.m.
mokumboi
Some places? Like what? Raty was ranked in the around 50th by the Hockey Writers and was an honorable mention in Scott Wheeler's top 50 list. Olausson doesn't even make either meaning he's not even considered a top 100 prospect in the league. If we look at their PNHLe graphs on Dobber Prospects Olausson is projected as a 20-25 point winger, Raty was projected as a 35-40 point center

Heh. Did you seriously bring in THW? Yeesh. Most places don;t have either in their current top 100, so like I said the concept of them being not remotely close is rather dubious. Checking the most updated rankings, I do see that Olausson has slipped most everywhere this year - but again so has Raty. But let's put rankings aside. The real issue is Olausson is an NHL level skater, and Raty is not. You can say whatever about someone's talent, but if they cannot hang skating with NHLers, talent won't matter much. We've seen it a million times, the old "4A" players.

Conversely, Raty is at this time more consistent in effort, which Olausson needs to improve. They both have work to do to make it in the NHL, and about the same amount of work. They're prospects of comparable level.
sensonfire and TJTwolf liked this.
Dec. 22, 2023 at 6:03 p.m.

Idk, I’m an Avs fan and I don’t have much faith in OO becoming a regular NHLer.
sensonfire liked this.
Dec. 22, 2023 at 6:07 p.m.
mokumboi
Quoting: turtlemountain
Idk, I’m an Avs fan and I don’t have much faith in OO becoming a regular NHLer.

Okay, and how much faith do you have in Raty making it as a regular NHLer? Dude is a poor skater, which is a huge disadvantage to overcome. Out there clomping around like a toddler in mom's high heels. tears of joy

I don;t believe Olausson is an A prospect or anything. But he's not extremely inferior to Raty, either. That was my point.
Dec. 22, 2023 at 6:31 p.m.
Heh. Did you seriously bring in THW? Yeesh. Most places don;t have either in their current top 100, so like I said the concept of them being not remotely close is rather dubious. Checking the most updated rankings, I do see that Olausson has slipped most everywhere this year - but again so has Raty. But let's put rankings aside. The real issue is Olausson is an NHL level skater, and Raty is not. You can say whatever about someone's talent, but if they cannot hang skating with NHLers, talent won't matter much. We've seen it a million times, the old "4A" players.

Conversely, Raty is at this time more consistent in effort, which Olausson needs to improve. They both have work to do to make it in the NHL, and about the same amount of work. They're prospects of comparable level.

I referenced THW because the amount of people who actually make rankings is quite limited. Shoot it down as much as you want but I've still provided 3 examples where Raty is viewed as a superior prospect and not just because of position. Also Raty was traded a little under a year ago, you can't compare their current rankings to each other because that's not who Horvat was traded for. Whether Raty's projection has taken a dip or leaped forward since then is irrelevant.

Olausson is a fast skater but that doesn't mean anything about his ability to play at the NHL level. Raty's skating is good, not exceptional but more than fine for the NHL level. Both are prospects that need more development time for sure but Raty, least at the time of the trade, was definitely viewed as the superior prospect
sensonfire liked this.
Dec. 22, 2023 at 8:26 p.m.
mokumboi
I referenced THW because the amount of people who actually make rankings is quite limited. Shoot it down as much as you want but I've still provided 3 examples where Raty is viewed as a superior prospect and not just because of position. Also Raty was traded a little under a year ago, you can't compare their current rankings to each other because that's not who Horvat was traded for. Whether Raty's projection has taken a dip or leaped forward since then is irrelevant.

Olausson is a fast skater but that doesn't mean anything about his ability to play at the NHL level. Raty's skating is good, not exceptional but more than fine for the NHL level. Both are prospects that need more development time for sure but Raty, least at the time of the trade, was definitely viewed as the superior prospect

Raty's skating is good??? And more than fine? Bruh...
Dec. 22, 2023 at 8:56 p.m.
Make it Calum Ritchie instead of Olausson and Calgary considers your offer.
sensonfire liked this.
Dec. 22, 2023 at 8:57 p.m.
Quoting: Joblow
The problem is Lindholm is the best asset available at the deadline. There a team that will pay the higher price for him. I know you will be offended bit Olausson is not a good assets. I am not even sure if Gulayev or Ritchie would be enough.

Not Gulayev but Ritchie might be enough. If not he'd at least make it close.
sensonfire liked this.
Dec. 22, 2023 at 9:50 p.m.
Okay, and how much faith do you have in Raty making it as a regular NHLer? Dude is a poor skater, which is a huge disadvantage to overcome. Out there clomping around like a toddler in mom's high heels. tears of joy

I don;t believe Olausson is an A prospect or anything. But he's not extremely inferior to Raty, either. That was my point.

Lucky for everyone on here: I have no opinion on Raty and no idea how to evaluate NHL prospects! I loved Conner Bleackley in his draft year and I generally have no idea what I’m talking about!
mokumboi, MoxNix and sensonfire liked this.
Dec. 22, 2023 at 11:03 p.m.
Raty's skating is good??? And more than fine? Bruh...

Do you consider him a below average skater? Literally every scouting report on him says his skating is either good one of his strengths
Dec. 22, 2023 at 11:31 p.m.
mokumboi
Do you consider him a below average skater? Literally every scouting report on him says his skating is either good one of his strengths

Hahaha what??? If you are reading a scouting report and it says he's a strong skater, that report is lying to you and that writer has no idea what he's on about, or he's wishful think pretending to cover some previous misrepresentation of the player. The guy has repeatedly been told by two NHL teams now that he needs to work a lot on his skating. He's slow, he's super clompy, heavy feet. This is not anywhere near a secret. This has been talked about at length since before he was drafted. There's entire threads on Canuck fan boards discussing how badly his skating needs to improve. If he was a strong skater, he'd be up with the Isles all season. Instead, he has yet to come up from the A.

Honestly, your best point was the time difference between Raty at the time of the Horvat trade and Olausson right now. That's a great point, chalk it up. But even with that great point, the prospect level difference between these two is fairly negligible. Frankly, both of them seem to be losing value, and neither is a blue chipper by any stretch of the imagination.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll