Forums/Armchair-GM

How To Not Make Friends

Created by: Victor24
Team: 2023-24 Pittsburgh Penguins
Initial Creation Date: Dec. 26, 2023
Published: Dec. 26, 2023
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
Tell them the correct value that a player would need to be traded for.

Petterson can be had under 3 conditions:
1.) It is next year and we won't resign
2.) It is this year and the Pens totally fall off
3.) Someone overpays

Guentzel has the same 2 and 3

This is scenario 3 as I don't think the Pens will be bad enough to gain self awareness to sell.

Disagree with me below if you'd like but bring data, I certainly will.

I chose the Devils because I see several people asking about Petterson to NJ

I chose Van because they look good and their top LW (Kuzmenko) does not.

You can sub another team if you'd like but
Petterson = a 1st + A prospect
Guentzel = a 1st + A prospect
Retention on Guentzel is a 2nd
Trades
PIT
  1. Nemec, Simon
  2. 2024 1st round pick (NJD)
Additional Details:
Top 10 protected
PIT
  1. Willander, Tom [Reserve List]
  2. 2024 1st round pick (VAN)
  3. 2025 2nd round pick (VAN)
VAN
  1. Guentzel, Jake ($3,000,000 retained)
Buyouts
Retained Salary Transactions
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the NJD
Logo of the VAN
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the NYR
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the VAN
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the SJS
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
22$83,500,000$77,854,167$0$0$5,645,833
Left WingCentreRight Wing
Logo of the Pittsburgh Penguins
$5,000,000$5,000,000
RW, LW
M-NTC
UFA - 5
$8,700,000$8,700,000
C
NMC
UFA - 2
$5,125,000$5,125,000
RW, LW
NMC
UFA - 5
$5,000,000$5,000,000
LW, RW
M-NTC
UFA - 2
$6,100,000$6,100,000
C
NMC
UFA - 3
$775,000$775,000
RW, LW
UFA - 1
$925,000$925,000
LW
UFA - 2
$2,450,000$2,450,000
C
UFA - 2
$775,000$775,000
LW, RW
UFA - 1
$900,000$900,000
LW, RW
UFA - 2
$2,000,000$2,000,000
C, RW
M-NTC
UFA - 3
$775,000$775,000
RW, LW
UFA - 1
$850,000$850,000
LW
UFA - 1
$3,125,000$3,125,000
RW, C
NMC
UFA - 1
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$4,500,000$4,500,000
LD
M-NTC
UFA - 6
$10,000,000$10,000,000
RD
NMC
UFA - 4
$5,375,000$5,375,000
G
M-NTC
UFA - 5
$825,000$825,000
LD
RFA - 1
$6,100,000$6,100,000
RD
NMC
UFA - 5
$1,500,000$1,500,000
G
UFA - 1
$775,000$775,000
LD
RFA - 2
$800,000$800,000
RD
UFA - 1

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Dec. 26, 2023 at 6:45 p.m.
n.1 Topias Vilen fan
Quoting: Victor24
Fair. But if I offered to sell my $300,000 house for $500,000 that would be my prerogative. You don't have to buy it. You can even tell me that no one will pay that. You could be right. But it is the price that I could not pass up even if I wanted to stay.

The implicit assumption for a lot of users when you post on ACGM is that both sides have a reason to make the trade. "This is what it would cost for me to part with it" is not a reason for the Devils to pay said cost
Victor24 liked this.
Dec. 26, 2023 at 6:47 p.m.
I Love J Boqvist
Honestly, I would trade for a true goalie with term. Honestly, if the Pens were totally out and selling (or a similar team with a top 10ish goalie and good dman) I would trade a lotto protected 1st + Nemec or the younger Hughes for Pettersson + Jarry or Saros and a shutdown dman on Nash. Nash might agree. Pit probably still wouldn't.

Luke and Nemec are untouchable in any trade.

I'd offer
1st+Bahl for Pettersson
2nd+3rd+Clarke+Vanacek for Jarry (3rd to dump Vanacek, 2nd+Clarke for Jarry)

For Saros+Carrier I'd offer 1st+Casey+Vanacek
Dec. 26, 2023 at 6:49 p.m.
I Love J Boqvist
Quoting: Celtics21
To be fair, NJ currently has the 53rd and 67th (out of 71) ranked goaltenders in goals saved above expected with games started. Pittsburgh is at 9 and 23.

I believe we are getting to the point in the season where randomness is less of an explanation.

Yeah the devils goalies have sucked ass.

Schmid has been hung out to dry in 2 games starting the 2nd night of a back to back after having to also start the 1st (both of which also have to do with Vanacek's failures). Which have tanked his numbers.

Vanacek however has completely and utterly horrific this year. No defense for him
Victor24 liked this.
Dec. 26, 2023 at 6:52 p.m.
The Lindstrom, Provorov, and Gavrikov deals included retention and other players where it’s difficult to identify the compensation for those specific players.

The Chychrun and Hronek deals are comparables. Two players with teams not expected to compete secured higher picks. Not all first round picks are created equal.
Victor24 liked this.
Dec. 26, 2023 at 6:56 p.m.
Quoting: pretzelcoatl
The implicit assumption for a lot of users when you post on ACGM is that both sides have a reason to make the trade. "This is what it would cost for me to part with it" is not a reason for the Devils to pay said cost

I didn't say it was. In fact I've said if I were the Devils I wouldn't do it. But I can name my price.
Dec. 26, 2023 at 6:57 p.m.
Quoting: dgibb10
Luke and Nemec are untouchable in any trade.

I'd offer
1st+Bahl for Pettersson
2nd+3rd+Clarke+Vanacek for Jarry (3rd to dump Vanacek, 2nd+Clarke for Jarry)

For Saros+Carrier I'd offer 1st+Casey+Vanacek

That's fine but I wouldn't accept if I were Pit. The fans would turn on me and the players would all want out. Then I would lose my job as GM.
Dec. 26, 2023 at 7:19 p.m.
That's fine but I wouldn't accept if I were Pit. The fans would turn on me and the players would all want out. Then I would lose my job as GM.

You just described 95 percent of deals on cap friendly. If trades were easy, they’d happen all the time

I have no idea why Pittsburgh would take that deal as outlined. It’s a bad deal for them.

It’s kind of like putting a second round value on Dahl. He was a second round pick and he looks like a NHL player. If that’s his value, a competitive team won’t trade him for the pick they originally selected him with unless they don’t believe he is going to play a role for them. I don’t view him as a disappointment.
Victor24 liked this.
Dec. 26, 2023 at 7:19 p.m.
Quoting: westleysnipez
It's funny how after I provided you with so many examples of similar defensemen you just make a new post to try and ignore the facts.

Let me repeat...

CBJ paid a mid-1st and 2nd for Provorov 4.725M, 3 years remaining (UFA)

VAN paid a mid-1st and 2nd for Hronek 4.4M, 2 years remaining (RFA)

OTT paid a mid-1st, mid-2nd, and 2026 2nd for Chychrun 4.6M, 3 years remaining (UFA)

LAK paid a late-1st and 3rd for Gavrikov 2.8M rental (UFA)

BOS paid a very late-1st, and two very late 2nds for Lindholm 2.6M rental (UFA)

The same expectations are being had by Calgary fans about Hanifin and Tanev, they want 1sts + prospects + picks for them both.

Yes, Pettersson is so amazing because of X, Y, and Z, the defensemen listed above do A thru W better than Pettersson. GMs are going to use each of these defensemen above as a benchmark for value. Pettersson is worth a 1st + 2nd, you could expect to get a 1st + A-tier prospect if you retain 50% for the remaining term.

Again, I showed Petterson is better than all of those guys. They were also all sold from teams who were out of it this and next year. They were also not sold to division rivals.

But let's say Petterson is worth a 1st and 2nd. I'll use the house analogy again. If my house is worth 300k, I can ask for more. So let's say a high school rival of of mine wants my house and needs one in my area badly. He offers 300k. I say I want 500k. He can say no. It doesn't change the fact that he wants to buy and I don't want to sell. So he can go somewhere else or he can overpay me. Then when my neighbors ask why I'm leaving, I can say I wanted to stay and I really like them but it was an offer I couldn't refuse.

Petterson (imo) is worth a 1st and an A prospect. If I was GM, I would need that to think about it. But, I would need more to keep the players from quitting on me and the fans from revolting. So I would need a 1st and A+ prospect.

If you don't like that analysis, that's fine. But if I'm selling, I name the price.
Dec. 26, 2023 at 7:21 p.m.
You just described 95 percent of deals on cap friendly. If trades were easy, they’d happen all the time

True. I love the ones involving 10+ NHL starting players.
Dec. 26, 2023 at 7:25 p.m.
True. I love the ones involving 10+ NHL starting players.

The pending free agent ones are hard. Everyone tells me that x player will sign when a lot of players acquired at the trade deadline make it to free agency. Most of them throw out comparables to players with term.
Dec. 26, 2023 at 7:31 p.m.
I'll use the house analogy again. If my house is worth 300k, I can ask for more. So let's say a high school rival of of mine wants my house and needs one in my area badly. He offers 300k. I say I want 500k. He can say no. It doesn't change the fact that he wants to buy and I don't want to sell. So he can go somewhere else or he can overpay me. Then when my neighbors ask why I'm leaving, I can say I wanted to stay and I really like them but it was an offer I couldn't refuse..

Free Agency basically is the house needs a new floor and appliances, so you may get it cheaper than other options in the neighborhood.
Victor24 liked this.
Dec. 26, 2023 at 7:33 p.m.
Future Ducks legend
I didn't say it was. In fact I've said if I were the Devils I wouldn't do it. But I can name my price.

You're asking elite pricing for Pettersson, he's not an elite player, he's a decent top 4 defensive D on a good contract, but he's not a game changer.

Pitt fans may have forgotten what a good defenseman actually looks like given the only players to compare Pettersson to have been Rutta, Ruhwedel, and now whatever the hell Graves is doing on the ice.
Dec. 26, 2023 at 7:59 p.m.
Edited Dec. 26, 2023 at 8:08 p.m.
Quoting: GiggywithGibby
You're asking elite pricing for Pettersson, he's not an elite player, he's a decent top 4 defensive D on a good contract, but he's not a game changer.

Pitt fans may have forgotten what a good defenseman actually looks like given the only players to compare Pettersson to have been Rutta, Ruhwedel, and now whatever the hell Graves is doing on the ice.

You aren’t offering a package for an elite defenseman, so why the heck does it matter? Pettersson is a damn good defenseman locked into a very good contract. Whether you consider him elite is irrelevant. He’s worth more than Jersey fans are suggesting he’s worth.

I wouldn’t trade Nemec for Petterson if I were Jersey much less add a #1, but I wouldn’t trade Petterson for Bahl and a first if I were Pittsburgh.
Victor24 liked this.
Dec. 26, 2023 at 8:14 p.m.
Quoting: GiggywithGibby

Ok, let's look at some D pairs around the league.

Petterson-Karlsson on the ice: %goals = 70.5%
Hughes-Hronek: 65.5%
Reilly-Brodie: 55%
Towes-Makar: 48%
Theodore-McNabb: 65%
Lindholm-Carlo: 65%

Are those bad defensemen?

Of the pairs with 300+ min:
4 pairs have more goals for, 1 pair has less goals against

I get you might not like Pettersson but you can't deny his numbers this year are elite with Karlsson. And it's not Karlsson bringing Petterson up. It might actually be the other way around.

Petterson away from Karlsson: 53%
Karlsson away from Petterson: 47%
Dec. 26, 2023 at 9:43 p.m.
westleysnipez
Again, I showed Petterson is better than all of those guys. They were also all sold from teams who were out of it this and next year. They were also not sold to division rivals.

But let's say Petterson is worth a 1st and 2nd. I'll use the house analogy again. If my house is worth 300k, I can ask for more. So let's say a high school rival of of mine wants my house and needs one in my area badly. He offers 300k. I say I want 500k. He can say no. It doesn't change the fact that he wants to buy and I don't want to sell. So he can go somewhere else or he can overpay me. Then when my neighbors ask why I'm leaving, I can say I wanted to stay and I really like them but it was an offer I couldn't refuse.

Petterson (imo) is worth a 1st and an A prospect. If I was GM, I would need that to think about it. But, I would need more to keep the players from quitting on me and the fans from revolting. So I would need a 1st and A+ prospect.

If you don't like that analysis, that's fine. But if I'm selling, I name the price.

Ok, let's look at some D pairs around the league.

Petterson-Karlsson on the ice: %goals = 70.5%
Hughes-Hronek: 65.5%
Reilly-Brodie: 55%
Towes-Makar: 48%
Theodore-McNabb: 65%
Lindholm-Carlo: 65%

Are those bad defensemen?

Of the pairs with 300+ min:
4 pairs have more goals for, 1 pair has less goals against

I get you might not like Pettersson but you can't deny his numbers this year are elite with Karlsson. And it's not Karlsson bringing Petterson up. It might actually be the other way around.

Petterson away from Karlsson: 53%
Karlsson away from Petterson: 47%

If all your neighbours are selling their homes for 300k and you list yours at 500k, your home must offer something that sets it miles apart from the rest of your neighbourhood. When compared to the other players on that list, Pettersson does not offer more.

You continue to point to one specific stat line from Moneypuck that uses a very small sample size (fewer than 35 games for the Penguins) and you exclude Pettersson's past stat lines specifically because it drops his value lower.

Look at him away from Karlsson over the past three seasons:

2022-23: Pettersson-Letang 52.6% (59th among defensive pairs with minimum 300 minutes)
2021-22: Pettersson-Marino 55.6% (33rd)
2020-21: Pettersson-Marino 50% (42nd)

Would you trade a 1st + A-tier prospect for Savard? He had 70.6% with Matheson last season, even higher than Pettersson!

Or how about Alex Goligoski? He had 70.2% with Spurgeon two years ago! How about it, eh?

Let's be real: Marcus Pettersson is a reliable Top-4, like the rest of the blueliners I listed are, who is now playing better in %goals because his main partner is a 3x Norris trophy winner. Any GM in the league is going to see that. Since your home doesn't offer 500k of value, your home is going to remain on the market until you either drop the price or are forced to foreclose and lose it for nothing.
Dec. 26, 2023 at 9:43 p.m.
I Love J Boqvist

The devils and pens aren't rivals in the sense that it's going to stop trades. Fitzgerald has major ties back in pitt from his time there.
Dec. 26, 2023 at 9:46 p.m.
I Love J Boqvist
You aren’t offering a package for an elite defenseman, so why the heck does it matter? Pettersson is a damn good defenseman locked into a very good contract. Whether you consider him elite is irrelevant. He’s worth more than Jersey fans are suggesting he’s worth.

I wouldn’t trade Nemec for Petterson if I were Jersey much less add a #1, but I wouldn’t trade Petterson for Bahl and a first if I were Pittsburgh.

I'd be willing to throw in a 3rd or a Graeme clarke to get it over the edge, but a 2 year UFA can only have so much value.

1st=6 mill
2nd=3 mill
3rd=2 mill

That's 11 mill in surplus value.

To provide that over 2 years pettersson would have to be a 9.5 mill player.
Dec. 26, 2023 at 9:48 p.m.
I Love J Boqvist

I have no idea why Pittsburgh would take that deal as outlined. It’s a bad deal for them.

It’s kind of like putting a second round value on Dahl. He was a second round pick and he looks like a NHL player. If that’s his value, a competitive team won’t trade him for the pick they originally selected him with unless they don’t believe he is going to play a role for them. I don’t view him as a disappointment.

Bahl I value as a 2nd based on comps, positional value, term, cap hit, age, and size. Simply the way it is.

I'd like to keep him but if he's a guy Pitt likes I'd move him to make a deal happen. If not I'd move an actual 2nd instead
Smitty426 liked this.
Dec. 26, 2023 at 10:19 p.m.
PDG over PDO
Vancouver isn't doing that
Dec. 26, 2023 at 11:08 p.m.
Quoting: westleysnipez
If all your neighbours are selling their homes for 300k and you list yours at 500k, your home must offer something that sets it miles apart from the rest of your neighbourhood. When compared to the other players on that list, Pettersson does not offer more.

You continue to point to one specific stat line from Moneypuck that uses a very small sample size (fewer than 35 games for the Penguins) and you exclude Pettersson's past stat lines specifically because it drops his value lower.

Look at him away from Karlsson over the past three seasons:

2022-23: Pettersson-Letang 52.6% (59th among defensive pairs with minimum 300 minutes)
2021-22: Pettersson-Marino 55.6% (33rd)
2020-21: Pettersson-Marino 50% (42nd)

Would you trade a 1st + A-tier prospect for Savard? He had 70.6% with Matheson last season, even higher than Pettersson!

Or how about Alex Goligoski? He had 70.2% with Spurgeon two years ago! How about it, eh?

Let's be real: Marcus Pettersson is a reliable Top-4, like the rest of the blueliners I listed are, who is now playing better in %goals because his main partner is a 3x Norris trophy winner. Any GM in the league is going to see that. Since your home doesn't offer 500k of value, your home is going to remain on the market until you either drop the price or are forced to foreclose and lose it for nothing.

Well no.

See I don't want to leave my house (as the Pens don't want to trade Petterson).

And I don't have to leave my house (as the Pens don't have to trade Petterson).

And I can afford my house (as the Pens can afford to resign Petterson).

And I like my neighborhood (as the Pens are trying to stay relevant for their players and fans).

So there is no reason for me to sell. So I won't.

I have said it before but Karlsson away from Petterson is actually worse than Petterson away from Karlsson. So it is not Karl propping up Pett.

What does my house offer that others don't? There is one big thing, I like it. I want to keep it. Therefore, I need a huge reason to leave. Maybe no one will pay the 500k. That's fine with me, I don't want to go.

The post is about value. The Pens value him highly in the room, on the ice, and for the fans. So if you're going to piss off the players, management and fans, you'd better get a big return that justifies the trade.

Petterson in a vacuum is worth less but we live in an emotional world. I'm sorry if that bothers you but again, in this post I'm the GM and I set the price. There is no other GM to accept or deny my trade. This is simply showing the value of Petterson and Guentzel to the Pens if they traded them to these particular teams.
Dec. 26, 2023 at 11:09 p.m.
The devils and pens aren't rivals in the sense that it's going to stop trades. Fitzgerald has major ties back in pitt from his time there.

It is still a team you are directing competing with. If the Pens were rebuilding, they wouldn't care. But, they aren't doing that yet.
Dec. 26, 2023 at 11:11 p.m.
I'd be willing to throw in a 3rd or a Graeme clarke to get it over the edge, but a 2 year UFA can only have so much value.

1st=6 mill
2nd=3 mill
3rd=2 mill

That's 11 mill in surplus value.

To provide that over 2 years pettersson would have to be a 9.5 mill player.

The issue is you're looking for a fair deal. I totally get that. What I'm saying is the only way to make it work is to make an unfair deal.
Dec. 26, 2023 at 11:11 p.m.
Quoting: theleano1
Vancouver isn't doing that

Can I ask what the issue would be?
Dec. 26, 2023 at 11:16 p.m.
I Love J Boqvist
The issue is you're looking for a fair deal. I totally get that. What I'm saying is the only way to make it work is to make an unfair deal.

I believe if Pitt decides to sell the price may be a reasonable one. From what I’ve seen from a number of Pitt fans on here moving Pettersson wouldn’t be that hard a sell if it’s for some solid pieces
Dec. 27, 2023 at 12:23 a.m.
PDG over PDO
Can I ask what the issue would be?

Mostly Willander Vancouver is extremely high on him, he will be a huge part of our top 4 going forward, we'd be able to make this work with any other prospect outside Willander and Lekkerimäki
Victor24 liked this.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll