Forums/Armchair-GM

Idea from earlier post

Team: 2023-24 Toronto Maple Leafs
Initial Creation Date: Dec. 27, 2023
Published: Dec. 27, 2023
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Trades
TOR
  1. Dickinson, Jason ($1,325,000 retained)
CHI
  1. 2024 3rd round pick (NYI)
  2. 2024 4th round pick (TOR)
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the CGY
Logo of the VAN
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the OTT
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
24$83,500,000$82,631,450$0$0$868,550
Left WingCentreRight Wing
Logo of the Toronto Maple Leafs
$925,000$925,000
LW, RW
RFA - 2
$11,640,250$11,640,250
C
NMC
UFA - 1
$10,903,000$10,903,000
RW
NMC
UFA - 2
$5,500,000$5,500,000
LW, RW
NMC
UFA - 1
$11,000,000$11,000,000
C, LW
NMC
UFA - 2
$6,962,366$6,962,366
RW
NMC
UFA - 1
$796,667$796,667
LW, RW
RFA - 1
$3,000,000$3,000,000
C, RW
M-NTC
UFA - 1
$2,100,000$2,100,000
RW, C, LW
M-NTC
UFA - 3
Logo of the Chicago Blackhawks
$1,325,000$1,325,000
C, LW
UFA - 1
$2,400,000$2,400,000
C
M-NTC
UFA - 4
$775,000$775,000
LW, RW
RFA - 1
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$7,500,000$7,500,000
LD
NMC
UFA - 7
$5,000,000$5,000,000
LD/RD
M-NTC
UFA - 1
$766,667$766,667
G
RFA - 2
$2,000,000$2,000,000
LD/RD
M-NTC
UFA - 2
$775,000$775,000
LD/RD
UFA - 1
$3,550,000$3,550,000
G
UFA - 1
$800,000$800,000
LD
UFA - 1
$1,400,000$1,400,000
RD
RFA - 1
ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
$875,000$875,000
G
UFA - 1
$5,625,000$5,625,000
LD
M-NTC
UFA - 1
$1,100,000$1,100,000
RD
RFA - 2
$4,687,500$4,687,500
G
M-NTC
UFA - 1
$775,000$775,000
LD
UFA - 1
$4,150,000$4,150,000
RD
M-NTC
UFA - 1
$762,500$762,500
RW, LW
UFA - 1
$1,350,000$1,350,000
RW
UFA - 3

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Dec. 27, 2023 at 5:34 a.m.
I firmly believe the Hawks can do better, especially if they retain in this deal.
LivingAnew, exo2769, SomeonesOffended and 3 others liked this.
Dec. 27, 2023 at 7:17 a.m.
Edited Dec. 27, 2023 at 8:14 a.m.
Quoting: JK74
I firmly believe the Hawks can do better, especially if they retain in this deal.

Yah, and that's if they decide to trade him, at all. I think he may be one of the vets deemed critical to keep on the roster, so he and Foligno can guide the kids in how to be NHLers. IMO, Dickinson has a lot of value to the Hawks in that way. He's 28, big, fast, plays a 200-ft game often against opponents' top lines, and now (it seems) is finding his offense. If I were KD, I'd look to lock him up for maybe three years @ ~$4mm AAV.

It may be that it'd take a big overpay to wrest him off the Hawks roster now.
exo2769, Hawksguy81, Snowhawk18 and 1 other person liked this.
Dec. 27, 2023 at 7:51 a.m.
exo2769
Quoting: LivingAnew
Yah, and that's if they decide to trade him, at all. I think he may be one of the vets deemed critical to keep on the roster, so he and Foligno can guide the kids in how to be NHLers. IMO, Dickinson has a lot of value to the Hawks in that way. He's 28, big, fast, plays a 200-ft, game often against opponents' top lines, and now (it seems) is finding his offense. If I were KD, I'd look to lock him up for maybe three (or even four) years ~$4mm AAV.

I guess my only comment would be, if you're going to pay him $4M per on his next contract...you definitely trade him. Because no one's going to pay that much for Dickinson based off this 1 season. The cap may be going up, but $4M is a lot to most teams. I can't see him getting that on the open market so get an asset for him and then bring him back.

Keep in mind...VAN did send a 2nd to dump $2.65M. Now you're planning on increasing that.
LivingAnew and JK74 liked this.
Dec. 27, 2023 at 8:02 a.m.
Quoting: exo2769
I guess my only comment would be, if you're going to pay him $4M per on his next contract...you definitely trade him. Because no one's going to pay that much for Dickinson based off this 1 season. The cap may be going up, but $4M is a lot to most teams. I can't see him getting that on the open market so get an asset for him and then bring him back.

Keep in mind...VAN did send a 2nd to dump $2.65M. Now you're planning on increasing that.

Good points, exo. If I could be assured that things would go that way, I'd do as you suggest. I was thinking that usually players that are traded at the TDL rarely go back to their original teams. 'Course, the Hawks can afford to pay more for an established vet to guide the kids - at least for a while. And (for the next couple years, anyway) may need to overpay some vet FAs to reach the cap floor. Might as well be someone like Dickinson, whom they know well. Cheers
exo2769 and JK74 liked this.
Dec. 27, 2023 at 8:14 a.m.
Dickinson is so meh - Leafs have few assets needed to upgrade and we shouldn’t be wasting them on thoroughly average 3rd/4th line forwards. Dude was dumped by Canucks (when they were terrible) and looks ok on hawks team (which is terrible). Never scored double digits in a season before this year (outlier), playoff stats underwhelming, his ticket is significant for his role, he’s a pending ufa. Curious why you or any fan would value a guy like that so highly 🤯
SomeonesOffended and Newgod77 liked this.
Dec. 27, 2023 at 8:58 a.m.
That probably gets Dickinson w/ no retention. With retention, Hawks get a 2nd from somebody.
Snowhawk18, swinny and JK74 liked this.
Dec. 27, 2023 at 9:17 a.m.
Quoting: MitchMafia
Dickinson is so meh - Leafs have few assets needed to upgrade and we shouldn’t be wasting them on thoroughly average 3rd/4th line forwards. Dude was dumped by Canucks (when they were terrible) and looks ok on hawks team (which is terrible). Never scored double digits in a season before this year (outlier), playoff stats underwhelming, his ticket is significant for his role, he’s a pending ufa. Curious why you or any fan would value a guy like that so highly 🤯

Dickenson’s only value is his shooting % this year. Most people on here just look at goals and points without any context.
Dec. 27, 2023 at 9:54 a.m.
Snowhawk

Dickinson looked pretty damn good scoring that hattrick against the Leafs earlier this season, it’s amazing that a “thoroughly average 3rd/4th line forward” could do that to the mighty Maple Leafs.
LivingAnew and JK74 liked this.
Dec. 27, 2023 at 10:04 a.m.
Quoting: Snowhawk18
Dickinson looked pretty damn good scoring that hattrick against the Leafs earlier this season, it’s amazing that a “thoroughly average 3rd/4th line forward” could do that to the mighty Maple Leafs.

Great point; always appreciate such well thought out analysis. If Dickinson & the Hawks can do that to the mighty Leafs - they must be flying … awkward pause to check standings… 31st in a 32 team league 😕
Newgod77 liked this.
Dec. 27, 2023 at 10:05 a.m.
Quoting: LivingAnew
Yah, and that's if they decide to trade him, at all. I think he may be one of the vets deemed critical to keep on the roster, so he and Foligno can guide the kids in how to be NHLers. IMO, Dickinson has a lot of value to the Hawks in that way. He's 28, big, fast, plays a 200-ft game often against opponents' top lines, and now (it seems) is finding his offense. If I were KD, I'd look to lock him up for maybe three years ~$4mm AAV.

Quoting: Newgod77
Dickenson’s only value is his shooting % this year. Most people on here just look at goals and points without any context.

I agree that a retained Duckinson fetches a mid to late 2nd on the market..... as I am.one that doesn't think this year is exactly an anomaly.

Dickinson in Dallas was an excellent 3rd line option who was potting 30 point campaigns and providing an above average defensive presence. He isn't there anymore because Vancouver simply overpaid him.

Where Vancouver was never a fit. An epic failure.

Chicago takes the chance on him, and here we are getting the player he was with the Stars. Sure - he is statistically inflated to a degree; but that I beleive is also a function of ice time (he is getting about a minute more as a Hawk than his career average). Keep in mind he is also running the Hawks PK1 - and doing a fine job with that role. Speed is there, as is the size and bump in his game.

All in all, I think Dickinson could be a shrewd pick up for the Leafs..... but in a 3C roll. We can talk Leafs defense until the cows come home; but Dickinson definitely improves a pedestrian PK, improves the defensive play of the 3rd line as well, where you can pretty much bank on a 30 point campaign (current sky high shooting percentage be damned). Simply has the track record and consistency (omitting Vancouver) to know exactly what you are getting.
Snowhawk18, LivingAnew, JK74 and 1 other person liked this.
Dec. 27, 2023 at 10:08 a.m.
Snowhawk
Quoting: swinny
I agree that a retained Duckinson fetches a mid to late 2nd on the market..... as I am.one that doesn't think this year is exactly an anomaly.

Dickinson in Dallas was an excellent 3rd line option who was potting 30 point campaigns and providing an above average defensive presence. He isn't there anymore because Vancouver simply overpaid him.

Chicago takes the chance on him, and here we are getting the player he was with the Stars. Sure - he is statistically inflated to a degree; but that I beleive is also a function of ice time (he is getting about a minute more as a Hawk than his career average). Keep in mind he is also running the Hawks PK1 - and doing a fine job with that role. Speed is there, as is the size and bump in his game.

All in all, I think Dickinson could be a shrewd pick up for the Leafs..... but in a 3C roll. We can talk Leafs defense until the cows come home; but Dickinson definitely improves a pedestrian PK, improves the defensive play of the 3rd line as well, where you can pretty much bank on a 30 point campaign (current sky high shooting percentage be damned). Simply has the track record and consistency (omitting Vancouver) to know exactly what you are getting.

Great post!

It is so refreshing to read posts from someone who realizes there is more to the game then just putting the puck in the net.
swinny, LivingAnew, JK74 and 1 other person liked this.
Dec. 27, 2023 at 10:11 a.m.

Agree to disagree - if someone pays Hawks a 2nd for a career 30 point 3rd liner (which he has achieved once, twice counting this year, in a 6+ yr career btw) then more power to you. There are a lot of dumb GMs in the league.
Hawks PK is worse than Leafs
Newgod77 liked this.
Dec. 27, 2023 at 10:12 a.m.
Great post!

It is so refreshing to read posts from someone who realizes there is more to the game then just putting the puck in the net.

Absolutely!

So many posters forget that the sum is great than the parts..... about 20 guys a night with a variety of roles.

And as a Leafs fan lol, realize the value of players outside our organization.

Dickinson is underrated imo. Hawks habe a few players like this on the roster where there value is more defensive and in the locker room..
Snowhawk18, LivingAnew and JK74 liked this.
Dec. 27, 2023 at 10:22 a.m.
Agree to disagree - if someone pays Hawks a 2nd for a career 30 point 3rd liner (which he has achieved once, twice counting this year, in a 6+ yr career btw) then more power to you. There are a lot of dumb GMs in the league.
Hawks PK is worse than Leafs

Agree to disagree. Any season in Dallas, he plays an 82 game season, he is a 30 point guy. Because a player sepnds time on the IR doesn't mean the ability doesn't exsist.

Yes, the Hawks PK is worse - but now we are comparing apples to oranges. Hawks are in the rebuild.... of course the PK sucks lol. Is it supposed to be #1 in the league right now? Did Dallas' PK suck when Dickinson was runnkng PK1 there as well? The Leafs conversely, given the roster, I dare argue SHOULD BE having a top 10 PK, if not damn near it. Dickinson most definitely move the needle here.

I really think you need to take a more in depth look at what he is as a player.....
JK74 and Snowhawk18 liked this.
Dec. 27, 2023 at 10:22 a.m.
Snowhawk
Great point; always appreciate such well thought out analysis. If Dickinson & the Hawks can do that to the mighty Leafs - they must be flying … awkward pause to check standings… 31st in a 32 team league 😕

Don’t feel bad for us Hawks fans, we still have relatively fresh memories of three Stanley Cup victories to comfort us through these difficult seasons… how about you? What comforts you as a Leafs fan during this… awkward pause to check the archives… 57 year Stanley Cup drought? Perhaps it’s the ONE playoff round victory in the last seven seasons?
LivingAnew, JK74 and BrianCampbell liked this.
Dec. 27, 2023 at 10:30 a.m.
Don’t feel bad for us Hawks fans, we still have relatively fresh memories of three Stanley Cup victories to comfort us through these difficult seasons… how about you? What comforts you as a Leafs fan during this… awkward pause to check the archives… 57 year Stanley Cup drought? Perhaps it’s the ONE playoff round victory in the last seven seasons?

You wanna a fun fact? 🤣🤣🤣🤣

The Leafs have NEVER won 3 playoff rounds in a season in franchise history.

How does one win 3 playoff rounds?

With 3C's like Bolland, Kruger and John Madden. Ya know.... those guys that throw up a 30 point season and can play a 200 foot game?

Sounds like someone we are talking about🤣🤣🤣
Dec. 27, 2023 at 10:38 a.m.
Agree to disagree. Any season in Dallas, he plays an 82 game season, he is a 30 point guy. Because a player sepnds time on the IR doesn't mean the ability doesn't exsist.

Yes, the Hawks PK is worse - but now we are comparing apples to oranges. Hawks are in the rebuild.... of course the PK sucks lol. Is it supposed to be #1 in the league right now? Did Dallas' PK suck when Dickinson was runnkng PK1 there as well? The Leafs conversely, given the roster, I dare argue SHOULD BE having a top 10 PK, if not damn near it. Dickinson most definitely move the needle here.

I really think you need to take a more in depth look at what he is as a player.....

The Leafs are an offensive juggernaut so our PP should be elite, but our D & goalies have been questionable so PK has suffered. Agree to disagree - Dickinson is meh imo; Leafs shouldn’t be interested but I don’t run the team
Dec. 27, 2023 at 10:40 a.m.

With 3C's like Bolland, Kruger and John Madden. Ya know.... those guys that throw up a 30 point season and can play a 200 foot game?

And with that comment Swinny drops the mic! Well done!
LivingAnew, Snowhawk18 and swinny liked this.
Dec. 27, 2023 at 10:42 a.m.

All because I don’t want Leafs to trade for your thoroughly ave player 😂.
And don’t worry too much about us Leaf fans - Stanley cup parade will be epic and while we wait…premiere franchise & most popular team in league, superstar players, 8 year playoff run, first class organization & scandal free, etc
Dec. 27, 2023 at 11:28 a.m.

One good game against one of the leagues worst goalies. HOF all the way. Not a leafs fan either genius.
Dec. 27, 2023 at 11:37 a.m.
All because I don’t want Leafs to trade for your thoroughly ave player 😂.
And don’t worry too much about us Leaf fans - Stanley cup parade will be epic and while we wait…premiere franchise & most popular team in league, superstar players, 8 year playoff run, first class organization & scandal free, etc

Funny a Mitch fan would try taking "scandal" swipe given Babcock coached your franchise recently and had rookie Mitch do an effort ranking chart of his teammates.
Snowhawk18 liked this.
Dec. 27, 2023 at 11:39 a.m.
Absolutely!

So many posters forget that the sum is great than the parts..... about 20 guys a night with a variety of roles.

And as a Leafs fan lol, realize the value of players outside our organization.

Dickinson is underrated imo. Hawks habe a few players like this on the roster where there value is more defensive and in the locker room..

What a weak take; anytime I read good in the locker room 🙄. What does that even mean in professional sports? Dude may be a good guy (90+% of nhlers are by most accounts) but he got dumped off a bad Canucks team and he is on a rebuilding Hawks team; hardly Jonathan Toews or Sydney Crosby resume; give me a break . Sell him to some other team
Dec. 27, 2023 at 11:52 a.m.
Quoting: wojohawk
Funny a Mitch fan would try taking "scandal" swipe given Babcock coached your franchise recently and had rookie Mitch do an effort ranking chart of his teammates.

On spectrum of scandals - I’d say Hawks are in a different time zone but that’s just me
Dec. 27, 2023 at 1:34 p.m.
Snowhawk
Quoting: wojohawk

Conveniently forgets Babcock and probably too young to know the name and history of Gordon Stuckless…. Or perhaps he just chooses to ignore that part of Maple Leaf history as well.
Dec. 27, 2023 at 1:45 p.m.
On spectrum of scandals - I’d say Hawks are in a different time zone but that’s just me

Blaming the current Blackhawks organization for something that happened during a completely different leadership group is like blaming the Leafs for former captain Rob Ramage killing ex-Chicago Blackhawks defenceman Keith Magnuson. It makes absolutely ZERO sense.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll