Published: Jan. 2, 2024
Salary Cap Mode: Accurate/Prorated
LTIR Enabled: No
Season Days: 192
Days Remaining: 107
Season Remaining: 56%
Projected Cap Hit Prior To Days Remaining Tooltip : $82,605,659
Description
The goal here is to try and present some possibilities for the Devils that emphasize a desire to actually start winning right now. It primarily focuses on salvaging this season and contending in the next. We cannot keep kicking the can down the road, and that is what we are doing by sticking with the status quo. Now is the time to contend, or at least to start playing meaningful games down the stretch. It will absolutely cost us, but nothing that will handicap us long term.

This iteration focuses on:
1) improving the goaltending position (the most obvious need). Here you get the reigning vezina winner, should be enough said right there. The difference should immediately put us right back into contention. You give up a lot (for a relatively short term deal), but we aren't re-building anymore, we need to start pushing the chips in and trying to win every season. This gives us two great shots at that (we are a team that is basically a goalie away from greatness). In the meantime it buys us time to evaluate Daws/Schmid, see what comes available, and perhaps even extend Ullmark)

2) Strengthen the defense (the second most important need) by adding a solid, physical, veteran defenseman. This should go a long way in terms of making up for an otherwise talented, but very green defensive corps. Again, we get this season + the next. Probably perfect in terms of making us competitive, but not tying us down in the future.

Finally, we compensate for the loss of Holtz by adding a fan favorite in Henrique, further emphasizing our commitment to winning now. For immediate term, it's a step up. That is a deadly top 9 by any estimation.

*** Note: The perspective here is largely about explicating the most I would be willing to give in each transaction. Obviously, the GM should try to get more for less, but if those negotiations fall through, and it's a matter of pulling off the trade as described vs nothing at all, then this is the furthest I'd go to pull the trade off. In other words, in a hypothetical world where the option is only to stand pat vs pull the trigger on the trade as listed, I'd go for the latter. Spare me the imaginary trades where we lose nothing and gain everything (Bastian + 5th for Saros, etc)
Trades
BOS
  1. Holtz, Alexander
  2. Vanecek, Vitek ($1,700,000 retained)
  3. 2025 3rd round pick (NJD)
Additional Details:
Boston: You get Holtz - an 8th overall in a recent draft - who has already been productive this year and is on an ELC for this year and the next, where worst case scenario he is on par for 20-25 goals and 40-50 points, not to mention what happens if he hits his potential, which could easily be a first line sniper (a ceiling he could certainly reach)

Meanwhile you get a goalie in return who put in a great performance last year and is still fairly young. He has obviously struggled in a starter role this year (behind an abysmal defense), but even if this is who he is, it's still a very respectable backup goalie, which is all you need. and of course he is coming in at under 2 mil.

You also get about 2 million in cap space, which Boston needs if it wants to sign UFA's next year.

And of course, on top of that you get a 3rd which is yet another asset.

It's a lot to give up for a year and a half of an admittedly elite goalie. I think it's fair.
OTT
  1. Siegenthaler, Jonas
  2. 2024 1st round pick (NJD)
  3. 2024 5th round pick (NJD)
Additional Details:
A first round pick is a first round pick, for a player who is essentially a rental + 1 season.

Plus a veteran defenseman who has put up some great defensive numbers as recently as last year. Again, granted he has not performed as well this year (none of our defensive defenseman have, so take that for what it's worth). These are useful players to have around in order to facilitate the development on younger players.

The 5th is just a throw in. We can negotiate terms at the margins, but overall I think it's decent.
ANA
  1. Vilén, Topias
  2. 2025 2nd round pick (NJD)
  3. 2025 4th round pick (NJD)
Additional Details:
A decent prospect and some picks for an older player who can produce but most likely will not generate much more interest. We can
Buyouts
Retained Salary Transactions
Recapture Fees
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the NJD
Logo of the COL
Logo of the NJD
Logo of the NSH
Logo of the NJD
Logo of the NJD
Logo of the NJD
Logo of the NJD
Logo of the NJD
Logo of the NJD
Logo of the NJD
Logo of the NJD
Logo of the NJD
Logo of the NJD
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
23$83,500,000$79,658,844$422,500$4,690,000$3,841,156
Prorated Cap Hit

Roster

Left WingCentreRight Wing
Logo of the New Jersey Devils
$7,875,000$4,388,672
RW, LW
UFA - 8
$8,000,000$4,458,333
C
UFA - 7
$2,125,000$1,184,245
RW, LW
UFA - 1
$8,800,000$4,904,167
LW, RW
UFA - 8
$7,250,000$4,040,365
C
UFA - 4
$894,167$498,312 (Performance Bonus$400,000$400K)
RW, C
RFA - 1
Logo of the Anaheim Ducks
$1,456,250$811,556
LW, C
M-NTC
UFA - 1
$1,400,000$780,208
C
RFA - 1
$6,000,000$3,343,750
LW, RW
NMC
UFA - 4
$1,100,000$613,021
LD/RD, LW
UFA - 1
$3,150,000$1,755,469
C, LW
NTC
UFA - 3
$1,350,000$752,344
RW
UFA - 2
$1,000,000$557,292
RW, C
UFA - 2
$775,000$431,901
C
UFA - 1
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$925,000$515,495 (Performance Bonus$925,000$925K)
LD/RD
RFA - 2
$4,400,000$2,452,083
RD
UFA - 4
Logo of the Boston Bruins
$5,000,000$2,786,458
G
M-NTC
UFA - 2
Logo of the Ottawa Senators
$4,600,000$2,563,542
LD/RD
M-NTC
UFA - 2
$918,333$511,779 (Performance Bonus$3,250,000$3M)
RD
RFA - 3
$850,833$474,162 (Performance Bonus$57,500$58K)
G
RFA - 1
$1,050,000$585,156
LD
RFA - 2
$1,850,000$1,030,990
RD
UFA - 1
$850,833$474,162 (Performance Bonus$57,500$58K)
G
RFA - 1
ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
$1,000,000$557,292
LW, C
UFA - 1
$9,000,000$5,015,625
RD
NMC
UFA - 5

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Jan. 2 at 7:24 p.m.
Chychrun is Ottawa's best Dman, and he's a diehard Ottawa guy, he's not going anywhere
Jan. 2 at 7:25 p.m.
I think defense is our primary need, so swapping Siegenthaler for Chychrun may not be step in right direction. Move Bahl maybe…but Siegen is part of the cure, not part of the illness.
TerreriStepper and Smitty426 liked this.
Jan. 2 at 7:25 p.m.
sensonfire
1. If the Devils make the 2024 ECF, your trade for Chychrun would be illegal.

2. Siegenthaler was acquired by the Devils for a 3rd.

Chychrun was acquired by the Sens for #12 overall in 2023 + two 2nds.

From Ottawa's perspective, this is ...

#12 overall in 2023
two 2nds

versus

a 2024 1st you might not even have
a 3rd
a 5th

3. There is almost no offensive upside to Siegenthaler's game while Chychrun is an elite two-way defenceman.

4. Chychrun's family is based in the Ottawa Valley and he should have no problem signing an extension in Ottawa.

(i.e. 8 million x 8 like Chabot and Sanderson)

5. Ottawa declines.
Jan. 2 at 7:26 p.m.
Quoting: Claesson4Norris
Chychrun is Ottawa's best Dman, and he's a diehard Ottawa guy, he's not going anywhere

Same for Siegenthaler here. He wanted to come here when he asked out of Washington. He took a discounted contract to stay long-term. He fits here.

If it ain’t broke….
Jan. 2 at 7:31 p.m.
TerreriStepper
Quoting: Claesson4Norris

Fair enough, that's why I posted this, to get a sense of the room. Sounds like there isn't really a trade to be had here. Not a big deal.

Thanks!
SomeonesOffended liked this.
Jan. 2 at 7:32 p.m.
TerreriStepper
Quoting: NHLfan10506
Same for Siegenthaler here. He wanted to come here when he asked out of Washington. He took a discounted contract to stay long-term. He fits here.

If it ain’t broke….

Yah this one hurt me to write. I personally love Seigs so I wouldn't mind keeping him. I don't think that Bahl moves the needle much from the other side. Might not be a big deal, perhaps target a more obtainable goal, like Tanev?
NHLfan10506 liked this.
Jan. 2 at 7:33 p.m.
TerreriStepper
Quoting: sensonfire

#12 overall in 2023
two 2nds

versus

a 3rd
a 5th

3. There is almost no offensive upside to Siegenthaler's game while Chychrun is an elite two-way defenceman.

4. Chychrun's family is based in the Ottawa Valley and he should have no problem signing an extension in Ottawa.

5. Ottawa declines.

Great points, I think that I definitely underestimated the cost here. And appreciate the note about the draft pick being an illegal trade, good catch, don't know how I missed that. thanks!
Jan. 2 at 7:44 p.m.
Quoting: TerreriStepper
Yah this one hurt me to write. I personally love Seigs so I wouldn't mind keeping him. I don't think that Bahl moves the needle much from the other side. Might not be a big deal, perhaps target a more obtainable goal, like Tanev?

Chychrun is great, but I think there are other options that can fill in our holes. We need better puck control in d-zone. Someone who can hang onto it an extra half-second as forwards get up ice. Someone who can complete a pass crossing into n-zone…maybe connect an occasional stretch pass. Severson was great at this. Graves was good at it. Both brought calm to start of our transitions. We owned 5v5 play because of it. Smith couldn’t hit the broad side of a barn. Bahl puts the puck in his teammates skates.

Hanifin would would be the best of the available options. But sometimes it’s as simple as a more veteran precesnse. I had expected it some from Miller, but he doesn’t play enough.

As for goalies, I think we put too much on them. If it were merely a goalie problem, we’d see more soft goals. Instead we are seeing higher quality chances against us. Our save percentage on soft goals (or medium and low danger chances) is identical to last year. (In 2021-22, when we have eight goalies dress, it was the soft goals that piled up).
Jan. 2 at 7:45 p.m.
Quoting: sensonfire

#12 overall in 2023
two 2nds

versus

a 3rd
a 5th

5. Ottawa declines.

1. The Devils can trade their 1st this year. If we make ECF, it doesn’t render the trade illegal, there would be a condition that moves 2024 1st to 2025 1st (if our 2024 1st goes to San Jose).
2. Siegenthaler was traded for 3rd…and the next season he broke out (was top-5 defensive WAR dman). Since then, he extended long term. So the old price is a little moot.
3. We have offensive dmen…we need better dzone exits. Moving the puck out of own zone has really been our Achilles heel.
4. Chychrun works in Ottawa; so
5. They should
TerreriStepper and sensonfire liked this.
Jan. 2 at 8:09 p.m.
I’d be open toUllmark for Holtz and a second round pick

I’d be open to Ullmark for Holtz and Schmid

A late third round pick is a throwaway option and I’m not a fan of Vanecek over $1m

Ultimately I think it would have a negative impact on Boston’s locker room and be bad optics in the anniversary year
TerreriStepper and Brewwins liked this.
Jan. 2 at 8:10 p.m.
Good nerd
IMO, I do this if I am Boston. Kudos, I think the puzzle pieces fit well for the Bruins.

Holtz definitely has top wing 6 potential. A 3.4m Vanecek is probably not going to work, but a 1.7m Vanecek is a reasonable backup option for the rest of this season and next year if Bussi isn't ready. If Bussi is ready it feels like that contract could be flipped. I'd push for that 3rd rounder to be this year, but I probably wouldn't torpedo the deal for that.
TerreriStepper liked this.
Jan. 2 at 8:11 p.m.
Good nerd
Quoting: Celtics21
Ultimately I think it would have a negative impact on Boston’s locker room and be bad optics in the anniversary year

Good point. A move like this could affect the room.
Jan. 2 at 8:15 p.m.
TerreriStepper

A late third round pick is a throwaway option and I’m not a fan of Vanecek over $1m

All valid points, I appreciate the feedback. It does seem like Holtz + 2nd is the formula most B's fans agree upon. It's tricky though, because the Devils would need to fit all this into their cap and then find another destination for Vitek, and then would have that much less leftover to compensate for the loss of Holtz.

I just hate to give up on this trade concept, as it seems like these teams could make a mutually beneficial trade. Again, appreciate the feedback, curious if you can imagine any creative options that would seal the deal (I'm drawing a blank haha)...
Jan. 2 at 8:18 p.m.
TerreriStepper
Quoting: tupty
IMO, I do this if I am Boston. Kudos, I think the puzzle pieces fit well for the Bruins.

Holtz definitely has top wing 6 potential. A 3.4m Vanecek is probably not going to work, but a 1.7m Vanecek is a reasonable backup option for the rest of this season and next year if Bussi isn't ready. If Bussi is ready it feels like that contract could be flipped. I'd push for that 3rd rounder to be this year, but I probably wouldn't torpedo the deal for that.

Thanks, that was what I was going for - it seems like something could be brewing here that would actually work out for both teams. Nothing is ever perfect, but all things considered, my thinking was that it would be a net positive for both teams. Then again, perhaps those final details are what would end up torpedoing the whole thing. Shame though, I'd really hope something could be worked out.
Jan. 2 at 8:22 p.m.
TerreriStepper

Good point. A move like this could affect the room.

Interesting, I didn't really think of that. Ultimately it's a business and the B's probably have to eventually move one of the their goalies. But who knows, maybe not.
Jan. 2 at 8:33 p.m.
Good nerd
Interesting, I didn't really think of that. Ultimately it's a business and the B's probably have to eventually move one of the their goalies. But who knows, maybe not.

I think Ullmark is well liked in the room, but the relationship between Swayman and Ullmark is particularly unicorn-like. I think they generally really like each other and think of themselves as a tandem more than as competitors. Given how much the Bruins are relying on goaltending this year, it probably helps alleviate pressure on both guys knowing that that the weight is not individually on either one of them.

I think the most likely outcome in Boston is probably an Ullmark trade in the offseason, but we will see.
Jan. 2 at 9:01 p.m.
TerreriStepper
I think Ullmark is well liked in the room, but the relationship between Swayman and Ullmark is particularly unicorn-like. I think they generally really like each other and think of themselves as a tandem more than as competitors. Given how much the Bruins are relying on goaltending this year, it probably helps alleviate pressure on both guys knowing that that the weight is not individually on either one of them.

I think the most likely outcome in Boston is probably an Ullmark trade in the offseason, but we will see.

Yah that makes sense. Interestingly, the Devils GM has stated before that he doesn't really make goalie trades in-season. But I think that is the problem - this is a move that only makes sense in season, when it could salvage the current season and then be built upon next season. As odd as it might seem, I think this trade evaporates the minute it becomes an offseason deal. At that point you are acquiring a rental for one season. Still worth pursuing, but not at the expense of a player like Holtz. Maybe a first and some minor prospect?

Bummer though, at first this seemed like an exciting trade possibility. But I definitely appreciate the feedback, that was the whole point of the post. File another one under "too good to be true"

Cheers!
Celtics21 liked this.
Jan. 2 at 9:27 p.m.
It’s going to be interesting. I see an Ullmark trade at the draft with an agreement to extend if it is going to happen. Otherwise, I’m expecting them to keep Ullmark and let him choose what he wants to do long term.

Holtz as the basis of a deal for Ullmark is an interesting start and it’s a pleasure talking to a Devils fan willing to discuss it.

I’ve mentioned a second and I’d probably give up a fourth. I’m probably the wrong person because I view any pick past the second round as kind of a lottery ticket. I don’t even pay attention to CSB rankings past 30. Used to get excited about steals and then realized that players drop for a reason
Jan. 2 at 9:38 p.m.
TerreriStepper
It’s going to be interesting. I see an Ullmark trade at the draft with an agreement to extend if it is going to happen. Otherwise, I’m expecting them to keep Ullmark and let him choose what he wants to do long term.

Holtz as the basis of a deal for Ullmark is an interesting start and it’s a pleasure talking to a Devils fan willing to discuss it.

I’ve mentioned a second and I’d probably give up a fourth. I’m probably the wrong person because I view any pick past the second round as kind of a lottery ticket. I don’t even pay attention to CSB rankings past 30. Used to get excited about steals and then realized that players drop for a reason

The pleasure's all mine, I love brainstorming these things with fans of other teams. It's obviously just for fun, not like the GM's are listening! It's a fun exercise though to see how a deal could be reached that would at least nominally benefit both sides. To me this seems so close.

I'd happily do Holtz + 2nd, done and dusted, provided it is this season and before the trade deadline. I think where it gets tricky, though, is that we then need to move Vitek, just for cap reasons, so that would be another pick to surrender to a team like San Jose or Anaheim to take that contract. Then we need to find another rental to replace Holtz, and meanwhile we probably should shore up our defense with an additional piece, just to make this whole run worth the while... My thinking was that, with Ullmark, we could salvage the season and make a playoff run, and then next season we'd have the whole package and really make a serious run for it. There are probably moves that can be made though, I just can't visualize it at the moment.

I'd still prefer any of the above to Gibson, fwiw
Jan. 2 at 10:10 p.m.
TerreriStepper

Thinking about it a bit more, if we're at the table and the clock is running down, and the deal is Holtz + 2nd for Ullmark take it or leave it, I'd probably pull the trigger. We'd still have a 1st and 3rd to work with, and I have to imagine some creative GM work could shuffle Vitek around without costing too much.

The thing Devils fans need to get is that, with Ullmark, we are getting way more than league average goaltending; we're getting a high end, established goaltender that may even be able to paper over some of our defensive deficiencies (at least to an extent). With him, we may not need a Hanifin of Chychrun, maybe just shore up the defense with a Tanev or something and call it a day. With the offensive power we have, Ullmark could very well be the missing piece that gives us two very solid swings at contention - and to me, that's how the devils have to start thinking. It allows us to compete in the immediate term and buy some time to figure the long term goaltending situation. All of this is better than just sticking with the status quo, where we score 5 goals but let in 6, and end up missing the playoffs (with no clear solution for next season either!)

It hurts to give up a guy like Holtz, but it may be the type of gamble you make if you want to reach that next level. Curious to know your thoughts, coming from a team that has been a perennial contender. Always respect the Bruins, they have been relevant for longer than any team I can recall, always in the mix, seemingly never rebuilding.

Appreciate the conversation!
Jan. 2 at 10:19 p.m.
I Love J Boqvist
I would not move holtz for Ullmark.
Jan. 2 at 10:24 p.m.
I Love J Boqvist
Henrique without retention does not cost that much.

Chychrun isn’t what we need. Especially not losing siegs.

We do not need another offensive minded dman.
Jan. 2 at 10:35 p.m.
TerreriStepper
Quoting: dgibb10
I would not move holtz for Ullmark.

lol you are persistent. OK, fair enough, then what move would you make? Can't just keep running out what we've been doing. Pray for Daws to be the savior?
Jan. 2 at 10:42 p.m.
I Love J Boqvist
lol you are persistent. OK, fair enough, then what move would you make? Can't just keep running out what we've been doing. Pray for Daws to be the savior?

I’d move Holtz up in the lineup.

Put toffoli on the block and sell him if the right opportunity presents itself. I’d sell for a 1st and 3rd if it comes. Nico Jack Mikey Haula Palat Holtz Mercer Meier Bratt is a more than good enough top 9. If not move haula to line 4 for now.

Target a 2LD. Ferraro, Pettersson, Hanafin whoever (Pettersson is the main target). Need to be better on the kill than Bahl and be able to shut it down with Marino. This makes us a much more sound defensive squad which makes the goalies life easier.

1 more piece of depth as a want, not a need. Haven’t been the happiest with Bastian but whatever

In terms of goalie there’s a number of options.

I’d offer a 1st+2nd+Vanacek for Ullmark now. Not holtz and no retention.

Or I’d go after Filip Gustafsson with a bigger offer than for Ullmark.

Or jarry, Gibson retained, Markstrom retained, etc etc.

If legit starting goalies are not available at reasonable rates I move down.

Use the dougie LTIR space on a guy like Mrazek. Go after a Stolarz or a Nedjelkovic or a vejmelka.
Jan. 2 at 10:46 p.m.
I would think ANA accepts that

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll