Forums/Armchair-GM

CJ says Nylander is going to get north of 11M

Created by: Brad_Treliving
Team: 2024-25 Toronto Maple Leafs
Initial Creation Date: Jan. 4, 2024
Published: Jan. 4, 2024
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
Absolute embarrassing culture Kyle Dubas has left behind in Toronto. My criticism of Nylander is higher now if he signs that contract

CJ confirms what Kypreos is saying and has Nylander north of $11M. Dreger has said the same thing
Free Agent Signings
RFAYEARSCAP HIT
2$1,000,000
UFAYEARSCAP HIT
8$11,800,000
Buried
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the NYI
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the CGY
Logo of the VAN
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the OTT
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
20$87,700,000$71,166,335$0$0$16,533,665
Left WingCentreRight Wing
Logo of the Toronto Maple Leafs
$925,000$925,000
LW, RW
RFA - 1
$13,250,000$13,250,000
C
NMC
UFA - 4
$10,903,000$10,903,000
RW
NMC
UFA - 1
$2,100,000$2,100,000
RW, C, LW
M-NTC
UFA - 2
$11,000,000$11,000,000
C, LW
NMC
UFA - 1
$11,800,000$11,800,000
RW
UFA - 8
$1,000,000$1,000,000
LW, RW
RFA
$800,000$800,000
C, LW
RFA - 1
$856,667$856,667
LW
RFA - 1
$800,556$800,556
LW
RFA - 2
$2,400,000$2,400,000
C
M-NTC
UFA - 3
$775,000$775,000
LW, C
RFA - 1
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$7,500,000$7,500,000
LD
NMC
UFA - 6
$1,100,000$1,100,000
RD
RFA - 1
$766,667$766,667
G
RFA - 1
$846,667$846,667
LD
RFA - 1
$775,000$775,000
LD
UFA - 1
$843,333$843,333
G
RFA - 1
$817,778$817,778
RD
RFA - 1
$856,667$856,667
RD
RFA - 1

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Jan. 4 at 3:01 p.m.
Nylander wants a contract slightly bigger than his buddy/idol Pasta. Pasta gets $11.25, which is why that is the most rumored number.

Maybe for a joke, he signs for $92 million times 8 years... #92 is the jersey number his father wore most often.

Though we all know he should be signing $88 million times 8 years... #88 is his jersey number.
Jan. 4 at 3:02 p.m.
Quoting: RipNasty
You do know that literally every team (minus the Islanders I bet) have an analytics department. You must be from Sault Ste Marie and Dubas did something to offend you. Just absolutely irrational hate for the man.

There is a difference between using analytics to your advantage and building solely based on analytics. Numbers and calculators gets you by in the regular season (see Leafs for the last 5 years). Heart and grit wins cups
Jan. 4 at 3:02 p.m.
Rip
Quoting: Brad_Treliving
Last thing the Core Fore knows about a "team game" is how they would bully Dubas during the contract negotiations

Alright I am convinced. You got bullied by Dubas growing up. That or you were a bully, certainly fits with your whole persona, and he kicked your ass in front of the whole school and now you'll never forgive him for embarrassing you. It has to be something along those lines.
PuzzledActuary liked this.
Jan. 4 at 3:03 p.m.
The fanbase arguing over which GM was worse is the most moronic thing we've argued about this season. The D core has not changed aside from Klingberg who just ended up getting injured.

Dubas's only accomplishments were losing in the first round yearly and FINALLY building a team to scrape by a bruised and battered Tampa team just to get manhandled by a wildcard team.
Tree has made some questionable signings in the offseason but given his circumstances everyone should have known he wasn't going to make DRASTIC changes in his literal first offseason as our GM.

We've been cursed with Sammy falling off a cliff, Brodie going from one of the best DFD's in the league last season to barely top 4 caliber, Gio falling off and getting hurt, our depth struggling to make an impact.

If anything, I'm blaming Keefe for most of this seasons shortcomings. He literally gets outcoached every single game and the more you watch the more it looks like he's just lost the room. We need a new voice for the guys.
Jan. 4 at 3:05 p.m.
Quoting: Carleton
The fanbase arguing over which GM was worse is the most moronic thing we've argued about this season. The D core has not changed aside from Klingberg who just ended up getting injured.

Dubas's only accomplishments were losing in the first round yearly and FINALLY building a team to scrape by a bruised and battered Tampa team just to get manhandled by a wildcard team.
Tree has made some questionable signings in the offseason but given his circumstances everyone should have known he wasn't going to make DRASTIC changes in his literal first offseason as our GM.

We've been cursed with Sammy falling off a cliff, Brodie going from one of the best DFD's in the league last season to barely top 4 caliber, Gio falling off and getting hurt, our depth struggling to make an impact.

If anything, I'm blaming Keefe for most of this seasons shortcomings. He literally gets outcoached every single game and the more you watch the more it looks like he's just lost the room. We need a new voice for the guys.

Couldn't have said it better myself, you nailed it on every point. Tre can't fix everything all one season, one thing he did change though was how physical and hard hitting the Leafs have been. I swear Leafs had more fights this season than the 5 years Dubas has been a GM in Toronto (coincidence that Pittsburgh has become if not one of the softest teams in the league)

As for Keefe, the guy can go. I really want Boucher or Berube to be the coach
Jan. 4 at 3:08 p.m.
Couldn't have said it better myself, you nailed it on every point. Tre can't fix everything all one season, one thing he did change though was how physical and hard hitting the Leafs have been. I swear Leafs had more fights this season than the 5 years Dubas has been a GM in Toronto (coincidence that Pittsburgh has become if not one of the softest teams in the league)

I like the idea of the team getting more muscle but the Reavo signing was awful. Could have signed/traded for any 4th line plug and it'd have been fine.

We struggled to get the puck up the ice last seasons o he signed Klingberg, fine, but the contract was terrible and Klingberg can't defend for sh**. What we need is another top 4 bruiser who can help clear the crease and actually defend.
Brodie has lost his step and the only real DFD we have is McCabe who can't do it all and some AHL plugs that are playing because we have nobody else.

All that and Keefe just sucks. Bad
Brad_Treliving liked this.
Jan. 4 at 3:10 p.m.
I like the idea of the team getting more muscle but the Reavo signing was awful. Could have signed/traded for any 4th line plug and it'd have been fine.

We struggled to get the puck up the ice last seasons o he signed Klingberg, fine, but the contract was terrible and Klingberg can't defend for sh**. What we need is another top 4 bruiser who can help clear the crease and actually defend.
Brodie has lost his step and the only real DFD we have is McCabe who can't do it all and some AHL plugs that are playing because we have nobody else.

All that and Keefe just sucks. Bad

Benoit has taken a huge step and someone I wanna see get more minutes on the bottom pairing once we add a top 4 defensemen to the backend
Jan. 4 at 3:11 p.m.
Benoit has taken a huge step and someone I wanna see get more minutes on the bottom pairing once we add a top 4 defensemen to the backend

I like Benoit. But the fact that we have to rely on two AHL plugs to hold the bottom pairing down because our top 4 has been faltering is not a good situation to be in at all
Jan. 4 at 3:15 p.m.
LongtimeLeafsufferer
I'm neutral whether Nylander resigns with the Leafs or not. If it's "too much", I hope Leafs decline and spend that cap elsewhere.
I can't see another team offering Nylander 11m, so if it's 11.8m, it's like the Leafs are just bidding agains themselves.

Dubas was a horrible negotiator. And Trevling, he should NEVER been hired as GM again after giving up the two worse long term deals in the NHL to Kadri and Huberdeau.
Last thing the Core Fore knows about a "team game" is how they would bully Dubas during the contract negotiations

then why is Treliving getting bullied even worse? Probably because he's so soft.
RipNasty liked this.

Can Washington and Toronto trade coaches?

Washington has a good defending low scoring team, which the Leafs need to be taught while Keefe coaching style would probably get Ovie back to scoring at a 40 goal pace again.
Jan. 4 at 3:17 p.m.

they never hit and fought as much and also never had a worse records too.

edit : embarassing.
Jan. 4 at 3:18 p.m.

the leafs are a significantly worse defensive team for many reasons, and most of them have to do with treliving not bringing any actually good defensive players and a bunch of one way offensive guys that he paid way too much for. the bottom 6 is a nightmare defensivly and he never even replaced Holl who was nothing special, but at least was a decent number 4. He brought in Domi and Reaves who are utter black holes and huge negatives and blew a massive chunk of cash on a defender who hasnt been good in years.
When you have a team that is top 10 by every defensive metric you can name and suddenly they are closer to 30, and you havent made 'significant changes' well guess what, you made some significant changes somewhere, because that just doesnt happen otherwise without significant injuries to guys who were good defensivly, and Brodie getting older doesnt explain away 1/10th of the fall.
Jan. 4 at 3:19 p.m.

dude, you spent like 4 months telling everyone that he was a good top 4 defender and now he's barely a ok 6th defender.
Jan. 4 at 3:22 p.m.
I'd be so embarrassed to be committed to this trevling bit. Get a job
RipNasty and PuzzledActuary liked this.
Jan. 4 at 3:31 p.m.
Quoting: JaredOfLondon
the leafs are a significantly worse defensive team for many reasons, and most of them have to do with treliving not bringing any actually good defensive players and a bunch of one way offensive guys that he paid way too much for. the bottom 6 is a nightmare defensivly and he never even replaced Holl who was nothing special, but at least was a decent number 4. He brought in Domi and Reaves who are utter black holes and huge negatives and blew a massive chunk of cash on a defender who hasnt been good in years.
When you have a team that is top 10 by every defensive metric you can name and suddenly they are closer to 30, and you havent made 'significant changes' well guess what, you made some significant changes somewhere, because that just doesnt happen otherwise without significant injuries to guys who were good defensivly, and Brodie getting older doesnt explain away 1/10th of the fall.

You were in a thread not too long ago stating that one of the things we struggled to do was get the puck up the ice, which explains the Klingberg signing. And to that, I agree. Although, it turned out to be NOT what we needed, because Klingberg can't defend for anything (as with most primary puck movers).

I didn't mind the Domi signing, as he's finally starting to produce, but the Reavo signing was albatross. Everyone can agree on that. The Bert signing was fine, as he's been a great top 6 guy for years and we only signed him for 1 season, unfortunately, he just has not been playing at that same pace he was known for and people really wouldn't have guessed that.

Gio and Brodie falling off definitely had a massive impact on how our back end was performing. Gio was playing out of his mind randomly at 39 and Brodie was among the top percentile among other DFD's in the league, one of the best if that. Both of them taking a HUGE step back leaves a massive hole in the back end that is clearly showing this season.

Samsonov falling into the center of the Earth hurt us as well, as he did have a .919 last season for comparison.

I'm not going to defend Tree and say that he's started great, cause he hasn't. But I'd like to see what he can do in a span of 2-3 seasons before comparing him to Dubas. It's been one offseason and we haven't made it to the deadline yet. I want to see what else he can do.

Keefe, though, still needs to go. His time should have been up ages ago.
RipNasty liked this.
Jan. 4 at 3:33 p.m.
Quoting: draft_em_sign_em_trade_em
Can Washington and Toronto trade coaches?

Washington has a good defending low scoring team, which the Leafs need to be taught while Keefe coaching style would probably get Ovie back to scoring at a 40 goal pace again.

I've been saying Toronto should have booted Keefe and targeted Hynes.

Hynes is a defensively minded coach and could have whooped this team back into defensive shape
Jan. 4 at 3:38 p.m.
You were in a thread not too long ago stating that one of the things we struggled to do was get the puck up the ice, which explains the Klingberg signing. And to that, I agree. Although, it turned out to be NOT what we needed, because Klingberg can't defend for anything (as with most primary puck movers).

I didn't mind the Domi signing, as he's finally starting to produce, but the Reavo signing was albatross. Everyone can agree on that. The Bert signing was fine, as he's been a great top 6 guy for years and we only signed him for 1 season, unfortunately, he just has not been playing at that same pace he was known for and people really wouldn't have guessed that.

Gio and Brodie falling off definitely had a massive impact on how our back end was performing. Gio was playing out of his mind randomly at 39 and Brodie was among the top percentile among other DFD's in the league, one of the best if that. Both of them taking a HUGE step back leaves a massive hole in the back end that is clearly showing this season.

Samsonov falling into the center of the Earth hurt us as well, as he did have a .919 last season for comparison.

I'm not going to defend Tree and say that he's started great, cause he hasn't. But I'd like to see what he can do in a span of 2-3 seasons before comparing him to Dubas. It's been one offseason and we haven't made it to the deadline yet. I want to see what else he can do.

Keefe, though, still needs to go. His time should have been up ages ago.

Klingberg was the right idea but wrong player, gustafsson was right there and he's having a great season in new york.
The domi signing was a mistake because he simply cant do anything but make passes from the circle in and he cant even get the puck there without lots of help. He can be useful, but you dont spend 3 mill on a guy like that when you have so many other roster holes.
The goaltending has been an issue, yes,but the leafs are still allowing shots and chances at an unimaginable rate compared to how they did even last year, the lackadaisical bottom 6 and gutted defence have been the biggest issues here.
Treliving gets the gears because he's supposed to be this seasoned hockey guy and he just came in and made the team worse without improving a single weakness and considering his portfolio i dont see the deadline improving that
Jan. 4 at 3:41 p.m.
Luguber
JT was not an overpay. It was the market at the time. Matthews and Marner were never overpaid either. They are and have always been valuable contracts because of what they can do. What hurt the Leafs was the pandemic keeping the cap down. To deny that is basically being a flat earther. Had the cap gone up the way it was supposed to the leafs would have been able to add more depth in FA. They could have kept Hyman and others. No one saw it coming and the fact that TO remained competitive was a testament to the management of the team not an indictment. Also calculator boy was Pridham who is still with the team. We all get it, you hate Dubas more than you like hockey but this constant attacking him while he's not even with the organization and blaming him for Treliving's bad decisions is silly.

I'm not taking the other guys side here. But since when is it not an overpayment to pay 11mil per to a barely ppg center who is ofc going to be the teams 2nd line C, I mean come on.
And to sign both Marner and Matthews at close to 11 the year after, no those two contracts in a vacuum aren't as over the top as Tavares, but it doesn't take Nostradamus to figure that it's going to be hard to fill out the roster when you're giving out all these deals.
It would have been a tough job even if the cap had gone up as expected.
Jan. 4 at 3:46 p.m.
Klingberg was the right idea but wrong player, gustafsson was right there and he's having a great season in new york.
The domi signing was a mistake because he simply cant do anything but make passes from the circle in and he cant even get the puck there without lots of help. He can be useful, but you dont spend 3 mill on a guy like that when you have so many other roster holes.
The goaltending has been an issue, yes,but the leafs are still allowing shots and chances at an unimaginable rate compared to how they did even last year, the lackadaisical bottom 6 and gutted defence have been the biggest issues here.
Treliving gets the gears because he's supposed to be this seasoned hockey guy and he just came in and made the team worse without improving a single weakness and considering his portfolio i dont see the deadline improving that

I think our defense would be performing a A LOT better if Brodie and Gio didn't fall off a cliff and Samsonov was at least playing 1a caliber. I'm not blaming the blunder back there on those two alone, but comparing their numbers to last season vs. now.... it's a massive drop off. People (myself included) overlooked the fact that a 40 year old and 33 year old were playing wayyyy too good randomly and there would be a massive chance they fall back to earth. And because both of them were such key pieces to our back end, it's taken a toll on us. This, of course, could have been something Tree should have taken into account.

Now we've played two AHL plugs on our bottom pairing in hopes they can help balance out how bad our top 4 has been and it's been brutal.

The bottom 6 needed more defensive capabilities. Reavo was bad. Terrible. I would have targeted guys like Smith and Trenin, or any other 4th line cheap guys in FA to fill some holes if needed.

Tree, 100%, could have made better signings, but the free agency market was severely lacking and it's not like Tree was going to come in during the offseason and start making blockbusters.
I don't like the guy so far, but I'm just trying to be a bit more optimistic and patient.
Jan. 4 at 3:52 p.m.

You're such a hater, it's sad.
Jan. 4 at 3:53 p.m.
I think our defense would be performing a A LOT better if Brodie and Gio didn't fall off a cliff and Samsonov was at least playing 1a caliber. I'm not blaming the blunder back there on those two alone, but comparing their numbers to last season vs. now.... it's a massive drop off. People (myself included) overlooked the fact that a 40 year old and 33 year old were playing wayyyy too good randomly and there would be a massive chance they fall back to earth. And because both of them were such key pieces to our back end, it's taken a toll on us. This, of course, could have been something Tree should have taken into account.

Now we've played two AHL plugs on our bottom pairing in hopes they can help balance out how bad our top 4 has been and it's been brutal.

The bottom 6 needed more defensive capabilities. Reavo was bad. Terrible. I would have targeted guys like Smith and Trenin, or any other 4th line cheap guys in FA to fill some holes if needed.

Tree, 100%, could have made better signings, but the free agency market was severely lacking and it's not like Tree was going to come in during the offseason and start making blockbusters.
I don't like the guy so far, but I'm just trying to be a bit more optimistic and patient.

the main thing people over looked was Justin Holl. He was never amazing but he was a constant, solid defensive piece that made sure the puck generally went in the correct direction. Now I wouldnt have paid him what detroit did, but letting him walk and not replacing him was a bad idea. Same with Engvall (not trading him, that made sense because you were bringing in ROR) but not replacing him. He is a pretty darn good and versatile bottom 6 guy that people wanted run out of town because he never hit enough. However the leafs never replaced what he brought, especially on the defensive end.
Jan. 4 at 3:58 p.m.
Rip
Quoting: Luguber
I'm not taking the other guys side here. But since when is it not an overpayment to pay 11mil per to a barely ppg center who is ofc going to be the teams 2nd line C, I mean come on.
And to sign both Marner and Matthews at close to 11 the year after, no those two contracts in a vacuum aren't as over the top as Tavares, but it doesn't take Nostradamus to figure that it's going to be hard to fill out the roster when you're giving out all these deals.
It would have been a tough job even if the cap had gone up as expected.

Pre pandemic bro, the cap was rising fast and was supposed to keep rising. It was the market at the time.
Jan. 4 at 3:58 p.m.
the main thing people over looked was Justin Holl. He was never amazing but he was a constant, solid defensive piece that made sure the puck generally went in the correct direction. Now I wouldnt have paid him what detroit did, but letting him walk and not replacing him was a bad idea. Same with Engvall (not trading him, that made sense because you were bringing in ROR) but not replacing him. He is a pretty darn good and versatile bottom 6 guy that people wanted run out of town because he never hit enough. However the leafs never replaced what he brought, especially on the defensive end.

Holl put up some great numbers in the regular season, sure. But come playoff time when things mattered he folded like a cheap lawn chair and was practically our WORST defender.
The problem was Keefe played him wayy too much and too high up in the lineup and it burned us when he was on the ice in the playoffs. I would NOT have given him the contract Detroit did. Holl is fine as he is, a 3rd pairing guy who can kill penalties and get the puck out of the zone, but for that contract vs how he performed when it mattered, Detroit can keep him.

I mean, of course he's playing fairly well in Detroit. He went from 20 minutes TOI with us down to 15 TOI/g in Detroit. I still don't think he's worth his contract and if Detroit makes it to the playoffs they'll see how bad he is in high-pressure games/scenarios.

This team needed another top 4 defender who WASN'T Klingberg. To which Tree failed to do that. One of his shortcomings for sure.
Jan. 4 at 4:01 p.m.
Pre pandemic bro, the cap was rising fast and was supposed to keep rising. It was the market at the time.

Also marner went from a 60 point guy to a 90 point guy overnight

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll