SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/NHL

2023-2024 NHL Discussion Thread #3: After Further Review...

Feb. 11 at 9:44 p.m.
we miss leo k
Quoting: aadoyle
DOPS has been unreliable since the day Parros took over

He has no standard everyone agrees here. Why u think we joke about the wheel

This season especially its been pretty bad 6 games for first time offenders when the standard last year was at most 2-3 games be a bruh moment

U got guys like Wilson rag dolling people nothing, Bennett choke slamming someone nothing, like the list goes on

Parros is unfit to be DOPS heck even the Rangers had the ballz to call him out. Wish more orgs would do the same

I agree with you in wishing that there was more consistency - but if this is them shifting towards harsher suspensions, I'll be fine with it. They gave Brendan Gallagher, another first time offender, 5 games for his elbow on Adam Pelech a couple weeks ago, and now Rielly is getting at least 6 it would seem - again, if this starts weeding the garbage plays out of the game I'm fine with it.
McGruff liked this.
Feb. 11 at 9:47 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Quoting: dannibalcorpse
I agree with you in wishing that there was more consistency - but if this is them shifting towards harsher suspensions, I'll be fine with it. They gave Brendan Gallagher, another first time offender, 5 games for his elbow on Adam Pelech a couple weeks ago, and now Rielly is getting at least 6 it would seem - again, if this starts weeding the garbage plays out of the game I'm fine with it.

In general all this will lead to nothing he will over punish some scapegoats then under punish or fine others for more dangerous plays

This year seems to be more overpunishments but we know what will come. Next year 0 consistency again probs will see shorter suspensions lul

Already have 3 overpunishments this season which is a new record

Last season similar plays = 3-4 games and this was for repeat offenders

Parros dont got standards and he never will as he loves the wheel to much.

Guaranteed hes gonna drop the bar again like he always does as the Wilson incident basically showed us he got 0 idea what he doing

Like this got 1 game

https://twitter.com/josephdzita/status/1756776430686380330
Feb. 11 at 11:06 p.m.
we miss leo k
In general all this will lead to nothing he will over punish some scapegoats then under punish or fine others for more dangerous plays

This year seems to be more overpunishments but we know what will come. Next year 0 consistency again probs will see shorter suspensions lul

Already have 3 overpunishments this season which is a new record

Last season similar plays = 3-4 games and this was for repeat offenders

Parros dont got standards and he never will as he loves the wheel to much.

Guaranteed hes gonna drop the bar again like he always does as the Wilson incident basically showed us he got 0 idea what he doing

Like this got 1 game

https://twitter.com/josephdzita/status/1756776430686380330

then you know what the leafs have to do: give Brendan Shanahan back to the league, because he was probably the most reliable head of discipline they've had in quite some time
Hurricanes_WPG and Saskleaf liked this.
Feb. 12 at 8:48 a.m.
Leafs going to Leafs
Quoting: mv21227
The most recent close comp is Perron, and Dale Hunter is a closer comp than any other. So that’s 6 games or 21 games

Tom Wilson is the best comp

Zub did nothing... Whereas Buch and Planarian did...

And here, Greig did do something...
Feb. 12 at 8:55 a.m.
Leafs going to Leafs
Your first comp is the Wilson on Panarin scrum, which I'm pretty sure -nobody- was happy with the outcome of. If your first "comp" is an incident that was widely condemned as one of the worst DoPS decisions in the past few years, I don't think it's gonna carry the water you want it to.

Your second comp is Trouba and Frederic getting tied up near the goal and Trouba clipping Frederic on the back of the head with a one-handed follow through on his stick. Should it have been called? 100%. Is it anywhere near comparable to what Rielly did? Absofrigginlutely not. It was a hockey play - a sloppy and sneaky play, but it was during the course of action and you could at least make a half-hearted defense of it. Rielly hit Grieg after he scored, with play stopped, in a non-hockey situation. The only reason it wasn't a straight cross-check to the head was Grieg saw it coming and braced himself.

Both were after the whistle and dirty... They both were actually worse than the Rielly one... Especially the Trouba one...

You can't claim that the Trouba play was a hockey play bc it was after the whistle in a scrum...

And then you have to factor in that Greig did something warranting a response, if the biggest reason why it's a suspension is bc it's after the whistle, then what's stopping Matthews from ripping a wrist shot at the goalie's head after the whistle? Trying to bait a 5 minute penalty and a longterm suspension out of someone... Does this mean after game fights warrant a suspension to all parties involved? See the logic... What Rielly did does deserve a suspension, but you have to factor in the comps (Bennett and Gudbranson RKOs are a lot more dangerous, Matthews cross check was to the head, Marchand can opener, etc.)
Feb. 12 at 9:40 a.m.
Hakuna Matata
Imagine VGK go back and add Patches from WSH
Feb. 12 at 4:01 p.m.
Seem your new to the whole DOPS talk so let me explain

DOPS has been unreliable since the day Parros took over

He has no standard everyone agrees here. Why u think we joke about the wheel or watch it be a 5k fine.

This season especially its been pretty bad especially with overpunishments, 6 games b2b for first time offenders when the standard last year was at most 2-3 games and 4 for repeat doing this stuff. And u know why we say overpunishments cause as said before 0 standard. Watch someone else gonna do what Rielly and Perron did or something worse get 2 games then we be going huh

Especially when got guys like Wilson rag dolling people nothing, Bennett choke slamming someone and that list goes on but hey least it aint nothing 5k fine or a 1 game slap on the wrist.

Least the NYR had the ballz to call him out. Wish more orgs would do the same as while it aint cheap would show guys not fit to run that department

That was the moment that cost Davidson and Gorton their jobs with the NYR.

They refused to stand with the players.

Wilson was trying to kill NYR players and both the President of Hockey Ops and the GM refused to stand with their players. Lost all respect for both that day. Lost even more respect for Davidson when he hired Babs in 2023.
Feb. 12 at 4:01 p.m.
Anyone can give me a list of good net front players on the PP?
Feb. 12 at 4:04 p.m.
Quoting: WJC_Enthusiast
Anyone can give me a list of good net front players on the PP?

Hyman, Kreider, Pavelski, Boeser, Lee
Feb. 12 at 4:08 p.m.
Quoting: NHLfan10506
Hyman, Kreider, Pavelski, Boeser, Lee

Thx bro!
Feb. 12 at 4:19 p.m.
Leafs coach complains league is targeting Toronto
Leafs players call for more violence in hockey

Serious question...where are the adults?
Feb. 12 at 4:34 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Quoting: WJC_Enthusiast
That was the moment that cost Davidson and Gorton their jobs with the NYR.

They refused to stand with the players.

Wilson was trying to kill NYR players and both the President of Hockey Ops and the GM refused to stand with their players. Lost all respect for both that day. Lost even more respect for Davidson when he hired Babs in 2023.

In general the whole things just bad. They tried to defend hit with fine and took back the whole thing. Then were fired

Wish more orgs though would at least call out Parros lul. Take the fine and go get this **** out of here lul

As if every team called that man out pretty sure he would be GONE and that would be a shining light for the NHL
WJC_Enthusiast liked this.
Feb. 12 at 5:00 p.m.
Amirov Forever
Saying Rielly doesn't deserve anything more than 2 games because Player X did something worse is such a lame argument. The DoPS making terrible decisions shouldn't be used to try and justify not punishing a player. If anything, you're enabling the DoPS's terrible judgements
A_Habs_fan, dannibalcorpse, Saskleaf and 1 other person liked this.
Feb. 12 at 5:02 p.m.

I mean, there’s a Toronto bias in media, a Toronto bias in fans, why can’t there be a Toronto bias in reffing?
Feb. 12 at 5:14 p.m.
Leafs going to Leafs
Quoting: A_Habs_fan
I mean, there’s a Toronto bias in media, a Toronto bias in fans, why can’t there be a Toronto bias in reffing?

Yeah, because the league has always favoured the Leafs, especially in the past 50+ years 🙄
Saskleaf liked this.
Feb. 12 at 5:16 p.m.
Leafs going to Leafs

Because you'd think if the Leafs players and coach go and defend their guy hardcore, the Sens would do the same right?

Why is that answer no if Greig's so blatantly in the right?
Feb. 12 at 5:40 p.m.
Quoting: A_Habs_fan

If they brought in a disproportionate amount of league-wide revenue, I suppose it would help the rest of the league…and smaller revenue teams would let some little things fly.
Feb. 12 at 5:49 p.m.
Bedard23
Quoting: NorthernLeafsFan05
Saying Rielly doesn't deserve anything more than 2 games because Player X did something worse is such a lame argument. The DoPS making terrible decisions shouldn't be used to try and justify not punishing a player. If anything, you're enabling the DoPS's terrible judgements

The Toronto Sun is just as biased of Leafs fans then 99% of ****ers on this site
Feb. 12 at 6:17 p.m.
we miss leo k
Quoting: Leafsfan98
Both were after the whistle and dirty... They both were actually worse than the Rielly one... Especially the Trouba one...

if you're really gonna stand here and say that Trouba's one-handed follow through that carelessly clipped Frederic on the back of the neck/head is *worse* than Rielly skating towards Grieg and hitting him with a fully-controlled, two-handed cross check to the head/neck area, then I don't know what to say man. I'm an Islanders fan and you've got me defending the biggest dickhead on the Rangers right now because you think a stupid, careless action is worse than a clearly purposeful and fully in control action.

Because you'd think if the Leafs players and coach go and defend their guy hardcore, the Sens would do the same right?

Why is that answer no if Greig's so blatantly in the right?

Your constant striving to try and shift the blame back to Greig and the antiquated notions of "the code" is borderline embarrassing. You know who didn't follow the code on Saturday Night? Morgan Rielly - because if you have such a problem with someone's "classless" act, answering it with a much more classless act just makes you look that much worse. I'm cribbing from Ian Mendes here, but if Greig had so many options other than slapping it home into the empty net, why are we acting like Rielly only had the options to do nothing or to do this?

Rielly comes of looking like a major loser. You don't want to get shown up? Don't lose the game. If Rielly keeps his cool, all we're talking about is how Grieg was a sore winner who should "act like he's been there before"; instead, everyone but the true-bluest Leafs homers is talking about how Rielly can't control his emotions when the chips are down.
Feb. 12 at 7:26 p.m.
Bedard23
Quoting: IconicHawk
The Toronto Sun is just as biased of Leafs fans then 99% of ****ers on this site

Might as well toss the folks at Overdrive onto the list of media personalities who are biased leafs fans
Feb. 12 at 7:29 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Edited Feb. 12 at 8:37 p.m.
Honestly Martin Biron be right on the ball on the whole incident involving Greig and Rielly

Weird how last year had so many bad incidents resulting in 1 game left and right lul

Lizotte and Morrisey
Engvall and Moore

But hey DOPS and consistency 2 words that dont mix
Leafsfan98 liked this.
Feb. 12 at 7:36 p.m.
GM CRIME DAWG
Quoting: IconicHawk
Might as well toss the folks at Overdrive onto the list of media personalities who are biased leafs fans

What I got from today's show:
Noodles - thought he deserved/would get a 4-game suspension
O'Neill - 2-games

Those are OK numbers imo...
Feb. 12 at 8:22 p.m.
Leafs going to Leafs
if you're really gonna stand here and say that Trouba's one-handed follow through that carelessly clipped Frederic on the back of the neck/head is *worse* than Rielly skating towards Grieg and hitting him with a fully-controlled, two-handed cross check to the head/neck area, then I don't know what to say man. I'm an Islanders fan and you've got me defending the biggest dickhead on the Rangers right now because you think a stupid, careless action is worse than a clearly purposeful and fully in control action.

2 handed fully intentional follow through where the principle point of the contact is the head...

Rielly's principle point of contact is the shoulder... Trouba's is way worse

Your constant striving to try and shift the blame back to Greig and the antiquated notions of "the code" is borderline embarrassing. You know who didn't follow the code on Saturday Night? Morgan Rielly - because if you have such a problem with someone's "classless" act, answering it with a much more classless act just makes you look that much worse. I'm cribbing from Ian Mendes here, but if Greig had so many options other than slapping it home into the empty net, why are we acting like Rielly only had the options to do nothing or to do this?

Rielly comes of looking like a major loser. You don't want to get shown up? Don't lose the game. If Rielly keeps his cool, all we're talking about is how Grieg was a sore winner who should "act like he's been there before"; instead, everyone but the true-bluest Leafs homers is talking about how Rielly can't control his emotions when the chips are down.

Known Leafs homer - Eliotte Friedman and Jeff O'Neil

Also, why isn't Giroux backing his teammate? Because he knows the code and he probably had a chat with Greig after... Grieg knew what he was doing and turtled when challenged
Feb. 12 at 9:11 p.m.
we miss leo k
2 handed fully intentional follow through where the principle point of the contact is the head...

Rielly's principle point of contact is the shoulder... Trouba's is way worse

Known Leafs homer - Eliotte Friedman and Jeff O'Neil

Also, why isn't Giroux backing his teammate? Because he knows the code and he probably had a chat with Greig after... Grieg knew what he was doing and turtled when challenged

I listened to Friedman's radio hit from earlier today where he talked about it, and all he literally talked about was emotion, and how what Grieg did is going to rile up your emotions if you're on the losing side. So yeah, while he and I might have differing views on how much Rielly should be suspended, I don't really see him saying anything justifying Rielly's actions the way you're trying to push all the blame onto Grieg.

Here's one thing I don't think you understand: whether or not we agree on which play was worse between Trouba's or Rielly's, I want both of those out of this game. Most people learn by the time they hit kindergarten that two wrongs doesn't make a right, so sitting here whining about this guy or that guy not getting penalized just makes you look stupid - no rational adult should look at what Morgan Rielly did and say "you know what, it's bad but I don't think it should really be punished too harshly because some guy on another team got away with it." If you really think that's the smart take to come away from this with, I mean, sure, go for it, obviously you don't care about looking stupid.

The amount of length you're going to to put this on Greig is embarrassing. What he did might have been showboating, but again: if you don't want to get shown up, win the game. If you can't win the game, shut up, take your medicine, and if you're still salty about it, make them pay the next time you see each other the best way you can: by beating them. Because Morgan Rielly couldn't control his emotions and decided it was better to piss his pants and throw a fit over a game his team lost, he's going to miss time and leave his team shorthanded now. What part of the "code" applies here?
NHLfan10506 liked this.
Feb. 12 at 9:16 p.m.
Zary Kadri Pospisil might be my favourite line in the league

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll