Forums/Armchair-GM

Bold

Created by: Jay27
Team: 2024-25 Montreal Canadiens
Initial Creation Date: Jan. 10, 2024
Published: Jan. 11, 2024
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
Did I label it bold because Hugo would have to be bold for pulling the trigger on the first trade or because I must be bold to even consider it?

I’ve seen a lot of trades on here for Zegras from my fellow Habs fans and frankly throwing our leftovers at Anaheim won’t get him. It’ll take a huge sacrifice… not saying we should do this for the record, it’s just my take on what it would take. If I’m the Ducks I don’t even listen unless Guhle, Hutson or Reinbacher are part of the conversation. And I think all will agree after last night’s game against Philly man do we need some offence.
Free Agent Signings
RESERVE LISTYEARSCAP HIT
3$950,000
RFAYEARSCAP HIT
2$1,800,000
2$1,400,000
Trades
MTL
  1. Faksa, Radek
  2. 2024 1st round pick (DAL)
DAL
  1. Savard, David
Additional Details:
2024 TDL
MTL
  1. Bunting, Michael
Additional Details:
Raanta
CAR
  1. Allen, Jake
  2. Ylönen, Jesse [RFA Rights]
Additional Details:
2024 TDL
MTL
  1. 2025 5th round pick (MIN)
NYR
    Pearson half retained
    2024 TDL
    MTL
    1. 2024 2nd round pick (MTL)
    2. 2025 2nd round pick (WPG)
    WPG
      Monahan
      2024 TDL
      Retained Salary Transactions
      Buried
      DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
      Logo of the MTL
      Logo of the DAL
      Logo of the COL
      Logo of the MTL
      Logo of the MTL
      Logo of the MIN
      Logo of the MTL
      Logo of the MTL
      Logo of the SJS
      Logo of the MTL
      Logo of the MTL
      Logo of the EDM
      Logo of the WSH
      Logo of the MTL
      Logo of the CGY
      Logo of the MTL
      Logo of the PIT
      Logo of the WPG
      Logo of the MTL
      Logo of the VAN
      Logo of the MTL
      Logo of the DET
      Logo of the MTL
      Logo of the MIN
      Logo of the MTL
      Logo of the MTL
      Logo of the MTL
      Logo of the MTL
      Logo of the MTL
      Logo of the MTL
      Logo of the MTL
      Logo of the MTL
      Logo of the MTL
      ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
      22$87,700,000$88,640,417$1,022,500$3,557,500-$940,417
      Left WingCentreRight Wing
      Logo of the Anaheim Ducks
      $5,750,000$5,750,000
      C, LW
      RFA - 2
      Logo of the Montreal Canadiens
      $7,875,000$7,875,000
      C
      UFA - 6
      $7,850,000$7,850,000
      LW, RW
      UFA - 7
      $2,900,000$2,900,000
      C, LW
      RFA - 3
      $3,362,500$3,362,500
      C, RW
      RFA - 2
      $950,000$950,000 (Performance Bonus$3,500,000$4M)
      RW, LW
      RFA - 1
      Logo of the Carolina Hurricanes
      $4,500,000$4,500,000
      LW
      M-NTC
      UFA - 2
      $1,700,000$1,700,000
      C
      UFA - 1
      $5,500,000$5,500,000
      RW, LW
      M-NTC
      UFA - 3
      $1,100,000$1,100,000
      LW, RW
      RFA - 1
      Logo of the Dallas Stars
      $3,250,000$3,250,000
      C, LW
      M-NTC
      UFA - 1
      $6,500,000$6,500,000
      RW, LW
      M-NTC, NMC
      UFA - 3
      $812,500$812,500
      LW, RW
      UFA - 1
      Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
      $4,875,000$4,875,000
      LD
      M-NTC
      UFA - 2
      $1,800,000$1,800,000
      RD
      RFA
      $3,150,000$3,150,000
      G
      UFA - 3
      $867,500$867,500 (Performance Bonus$57,500$58K)
      LD
      RFA - 1
      $1,400,000$1,400,000
      LD/RD
      RFA - 1
      $890,000$890,000
      G
      RFA - 1
      $1,400,000$1,400,000
      LD/RD
      RFA
      $875,000$875,000
      RD
      RFA - 2
      $766,667$766,667
      RD
      UFA - 1
      ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
      $4,450,000$4,450,000
      C
      M-NTC
      UFA - 1
      $10,500,000$10,500,000
      G
      NMC
      UFA - 2

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
      • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
      Jan. 11 at 7:20 a.m.
      Le patriote
      Anaheim should add a 1st for Ghule!
      Jan. 11 at 7:23 a.m.
      You need to add a lot to get Bunting... Raanta and Allen aren't much different in quality and Ylonen doesn't hold much value. At 24,this is his first full NHL season, and he's struggling. You think this gets you a guy that has two fewer points this season than Ylonen has in his career? Come on
      Jan. 11 at 7:29 a.m.
      We're not moving Guhle.
      habitantlecolon liked this.
      Jan. 11 at 7:42 a.m.
      Anaheim doesn’t need a LHD, in fact, it is the last thing we need
      CBA, OldNYIfan and ricochetii liked this.
      Jan. 11 at 7:43 a.m.
      Quoting: Caniac2000
      You need to add a lot to get Bunting... Raanta and Allen aren't much different in quality and Ylonen doesn't hold much value. At 24,this is his first full NHL season, and he's struggling. You think this gets you a guy that has two fewer points this season than Ylonen has in his career? Come on

Ylonen never struggle lol he's like Habs 5th best forward but somehow MSL doesn't use him
      Jan. 11 at 7:44 a.m.
      I think only Slafkovsky or Reinbacher are players that Anaheim would want
      But MTL aren't trading one of those two for Zegras
      OldNYIfan, Jay27 and GiggywithGibby liked this.
      Jan. 11 at 7:46 a.m.
      Quoting: CBA
      Ylonen never struggle lol he's like Habs 5th best forward but somehow MSL doesn't use him

He's got 7 points, but I'll take your word for it. He's still not worth anything close to Michael Bunting
      OldNYIfan liked this.
      Jan. 11 at 7:49 a.m.
      He's got 7 points, but I'll take your word for it. He's still not worth anything close to Michael Bunting

I agree he isn't worth close to Michael Bunting, but he's got 7 points without ice time and played most of the games with ECHLer Michael Pezzetta
      Jan. 11 at 8:21 a.m.
      Larrylnh
      Guhle is already our first dman and he is going to be insane. We shouldn't trade or high prospect for Zegras. We are still in rebuild. It means that we won't get Zegras.
      Jan. 11 at 9:01 a.m.
      habs going after Zegras only makes since if the price fits, and giving up Ghule certainly doesn't fit
      Jan. 11 at 9:20 a.m.
      The Jets need a 2C and Monahan at best is a 4C as he isn't an improvement on anyone in Winnipeg's top 9.

Monahan also isn't worth anywhere close to that haul to most teams and definitely not Winnipeg.
      masterjuddi liked this.
      Jan. 11 at 11:27 a.m.
      I dont get this Monahan hype. Seems like MTL fans wanna paint this guy as a legit top 6 C that plays both ends. Ill be honest i havent watched a lot habs games this year, but the ones Ive seen he isnt a difference maker and he doesnt drive a line. Im not opposed to the jets adding him, but not for 2 second rounders, The way the team is playing I dont think he would crack the top 9
      Jan. 11 at 12:42 p.m.
      Jay27
      I thought I’d get a lot of hate for posting that first trade to be honest but it was mostly solid input. Well done guys.
      Jan. 11 at 12:46 p.m.
      Jay27
      Quoting: masterjuddi
      I dont get this Monahan hype. Seems like MTL fans wanna paint this guy as a legit top 6 C that plays both ends. Ill be honest i havent watched a lot habs games this year, but the ones Ive seen he isnt a difference maker and he doesnt drive a line. Im not opposed to the jets adding him, but not for 2 second rounders, The way the team is playing I dont think he would crack the top 9

I don’t think he’s a 2c. I believe he can fill that spot short term if need be but he’s more a complimentary winger piece on the 2nd line or a reliable 3c who wins a lot faceoffs and can play special teams. If you look at past TDLs a couple of seconds is a pretty reasonable asks for that type of player and Winnipeg is one of the reported teams to be interested so I put 2 and 2 together.
      ricochetii and masterjuddi liked this.
      Jan. 11 at 1:00 p.m.
      Go Habs Go
      Quoting: masterjuddi

He's been driving with flat tires most of the season.
      The majority of his points were 5v5 last year. It's 50/50 this year.

Quoting: Jay27
      I don’t think he’s a 2c. I believe he can fill that spot short term if need be but he’s more a complimentary winger piece on the 2nd line or a reliable 3c who wins a lot faceoffs and can play special teams. If you look at past TDLs a couple of seconds is a pretty reasonable asks for that type of player and Winnipeg is one of the reported teams to be interested so I put 2 and 2 together.

People don't put much value in having insurance for the playoffs, but it's a factor. Even if you see him as a 3/4 liner, you have a guy ready to step up if say, Scheifele gets suspended or Tavares gets injured.
      Jay27 and masterjuddi liked this.
      Jan. 11 at 1:10 p.m.
      Jay27

Bunting has been relegated to playing less than 15 minutes a game on average which is not what Carolina is paying him 4.5 for which makes him a possible cap casualty. Not saying he has negative value but I don’t see the Canes getting much of a return on him. Raanta is a cap dump although a small one considering most of his cap hit can be buried.

In this deal Carolina stabilizes their crease, opens up some cap space and gets a cheap young bottom six winger with offensive upside to replace Bunting. I don’t think the trade is as far off as you make it sound.
      Jan. 11 at 1:31 p.m.
      Future Ducks legend
      I thought I’d get a lot of hate for posting that first trade to be honest but it was mostly solid input. Well done guys.

Guhle isn't a target, we're overfull at LHD and he's not pushing Mintyukov off of LD1.
      Jan. 11 at 1:59 p.m.
      On the Rod Meal Plan
      Bunting has been relegated to playing less than 15 minutes a game on average which is not what Carolina is paying him 4.5 for which makes him a possible cap casualty. Not saying he has negative value but I don’t see the Canes getting much of a return on him. Raanta is a cap dump although a small one considering most of his cap hit can be buried.

In this deal Carolina stabilizes their crease, opens up some cap space and gets a cheap young bottom six winger with offensive upside to replace Bunting. I don’t think the trade is as far off as you make it sound.

They don't need to move him unless they get a big return on him, which this is not. You say that they aren't paying him to play less than 15 minutes a night, but I'd say he's getting paid to produce the offense that he has.

The main problem with this trade though is next year. Allen is an overpaid backup who will clear waivers and cost 2.75M against the cap in the minors next year, and Bunting can easily slot into the top 6 on the two remaining years of his contract if guys like Turbo sign elsewhere when his contract expires in the summer.

Would the Canes be interested in Ylonen? Maybe, although I don't think they need any 4th line wingers (he has 3 goals in 33 games so I don't really see the offensive upside you do, but he's also young so he might just take time). If you're really interested in trading him, maybe a roster slot opens in the summer, although I imagine Don Waddell would rather fill in expiring contracts with guys already in the system or proven UFAs that will be available.
      Jan. 11 at 2:54 p.m.

Yes, it is... Carolina pay Bunting to produce and be flexible with where he can play in the lineup. He's been up on the top line with Necas out. He's also the 2nd highest scoring winger on the team. You're either trolling, or clueless. Either way, you need a LOT more to get Bunting
      Jan. 11 at 3:35 p.m.
      Jay27
      Yes, it is... Carolina pay Bunting to produce and be flexible with where he can play in the lineup. He's been up on the top line with Necas out. He's also the 2nd highest scoring winger on the team. You're either trolling, or clueless. Either way, you need a LOT more to get Bunting

I honestly don’t watch Canes games(unless they are playing the Habs), was just working off an article I read a while back about Bunting possibly being a cap casualty to bring in goaltending stability and the fact that he is a minus 9 on what is a strong team(although I will agree a somewhat archaic statistic). He is also the 15th most utilized player(9th most utilized forward) on the team. But you are right the guy is tied for third most points and you’re a Canes fans so if you say he’s valuable to the team I believe you.

To create a post please Login or Register
      Question:
      Options:
      Add Option
      Submit Poll