SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/NHL Signings

Edmonton Oilers signed Corey Perry (1 Year / $1,100,000 AAV)

Was this a good signing?
The chart has been hidden

Poll Options

Jan. 22 at 2:47 p.m.
and proud of it
It's Correy Perry bro. The most hated player in the league. Fitting he's in Edmonton
Jan. 22 at 3:13 p.m.
Quoting: PurpleHippo
I hope they move Brown at the deadline to free themselves of that bonus then buy out Campbell, saves ~7M next season meaning we only have ~3M in dead cap.

I'm pretty sure performance bonus don't transfer over to the new team. Unless the new team has the cap space to absorb the penalty fee in that current year.
Jdb9831, CD282 and mk458 liked this.
Jan. 22 at 3:30 p.m.
Quoting: draft_em_sign_em_trade_em
I'm pretty sure performance bonus don't transfer over to the new team. Unless the new team has the cap space to absorb the penalty fee in that current year.

I haven't found anything that says that, all I can see is that it is linked to the contract and the contract is moved in the trade (to boil it down to basic terms).
Also most of EDM's "rumoured" trade partners have tons of cap space this season, in case what you've said is true.
Jan. 22 at 4:01 p.m.
Bedard23
Quoting: HockeyManiac95
It's Correy Perry bro. The most hated player in the league. Fitting he's in Edmonton

Pretty sure there’s minimum 8 players more hated then him
Sharkie69 and Jdb9831 liked this.
Jan. 22 at 4:09 p.m.
IG vincemark78
might as well be called the edmonton aholes amiright?
Jan. 22 at 4:20 p.m.
It is ironic that Corry Perry and Shane Pinto were the two most recent signings in the NHL. Pinto was suspended for 41 games due to gambling issues in a sport where a gambling website advertises on his team's helmet. Corey Perry was suspended until he stopped being front page news.
vmark liked this.
Jan. 22 at 4:20 p.m.
stop daddy it hurts
Quoting: IconicHawk

Gonna try and prove your point.

Evander Kane
Brad Marchand
Shane Pinto
Nazem Kadri
Jordan Binnington
Trevor Zegras
Tom Wilson.

There I’ve got 8. A one got more?
vmark, Jdb9831 and mk458 liked this.
Jan. 22 at 4:25 p.m.
Bedard23
Quoting: Sharkie69
Gonna try and prove your point.

Evander Kane
Brad Marchand
Shane Pinto
Nazem Kadri
Jordan Binnington
Trevor Zegras
Tom Wilson.

There I’ve got 8. A one got more?

I’d add Gauthier, Trouba and Cousins
Sharkie69, vmark and mk458 liked this.
Jan. 22 at 4:55 p.m.
IG vincemark78
I’d add Gauthier, Trouba and Cousins

as a pens fan, in no particular order,

Tom Wilson... well I lied he's the dirtiest scumbag in the league so he's #1

Trouba
Marchand
Evander Kane
Kadri... He was dirty when he was younger I don't know about now... famous clip of Sid calling him a joke, I was watching that game live, he was throwing them high bows

Zegras is just annoying I don't care about him enough to hate him

Binner isn't dirty is he? i respect that Cup run

and legit I believe Pinto was a scapegoat so if you hate on him, gimme the deets of what he did

Gauthier went about that all wrong and I lost all respect for him, even though i clearly don't like the Flyers at all. he's like Zegras, basically irrelevant, but what pretentiousness eh?

So yeah, IDK about 8 legit ones.

But tom wilson... he's the dirtiest guy I've ever seen play BY FAR... and anyone in the Metro who has had to watch him try to hurt people in the playoffs knows this

Lots of people say Perry is dirty, so his reputation proceeds itself

His nickname on hockey reference is The Worm for gahds sakez
drizzt and mk458 liked this.
Jan. 22 at 5:11 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Dam one zero away from being another meme lul
HockeyManiac95 liked this.
Jan. 22 at 6:08 p.m.
Oilers are gonna break their streak for Perry’s first game in EDM.

So 15 wins then? Two more? Perry won't play until Saturday.
Sharkie69 liked this.
Jan. 22 at 6:10 p.m.
Quoting: draft_em_sign_em_trade_em

I haven't found anything that says that, all I can see is that it is linked to the contract and the contract is moved in the trade (to boil it down to basic terms).
Also most of EDM's "rumoured" trade partners have tons of cap space this season, in case what you've said is true.

The bonus has already been paid. There is no way for Edmonton to shift the bonus off their books even if they wanted to. It's theirs whether they trade Brown or not.
Jan. 22 at 6:10 p.m.
Quoting: MurrayRoster
It is ironic that Corry Perry and Shane Pinto were the two most recent signings in the NHL. Pinto was suspended for 41 games due to gambling issues in a sport where a gambling website advertises on his team's helmet. Corey Perry was suspended until he stopped being front page news.

Perry was never suspended.
Jan. 22 at 6:26 p.m.
and proud of it

Pls name
Jan. 22 at 6:32 p.m.
Bedard23
Quoting: MurrayRoster

Perry was never suspended
Jan. 22 at 7:10 p.m.
Quoting: CD282
The bonus has already been paid. There is no way for Edmonton to shift the bonus off their books even if they wanted to. It's theirs whether they trade Brown or not.

The dead cap space the Oilers will have next year will be funny.

Neal.
Brown.
Perry.

I'm not convinced Campbell will be on that list. A trade will be worked out with some sucker GM. I'm looking at Clb with Elvis or the Hawks and Sharks for easy salary cap $$$ and lots of loses, to improve their Draft position.
Jan. 22 at 9:05 p.m.
stop daddy it hurts
Quoting: HockeyManiac95
Pls name

You’ll find them above on this page
HockeyManiac95 and vmark liked this.
Jan. 22 at 10:02 p.m.
Edited Jan. 22 at 11:25 p.m.
Quoting: Leafsfan98
Not bad for Perry, but 3.5 mill in performance bonus cap hit for EDM next year is rough

True but Perry’s bonus will make up less than 10% of that, and they have to make it all the way to the cup final for him to get all of it, so I don’t think his is unreasonable. I’m not sure but I think by paying it as a bonus instead of adding it to his base salary, if its cap hit gets deferred to next season they may have also avoided having it pro-rated.

Apparently they learned their lesson with Brown’s bonus and were much less generous with Perry. They should have tied Brown’s bonus to goals rather than games played. (Or are they not allowed to do that when the player is bonus eligible due to an injury?)
Jan. 22 at 10:16 p.m.
Edited Jan. 22 at 11:23 p.m.

Yeah, since he earned the bonus while playing for Edmonton, the cap hit for it would have to be theirs. I don’t know for sure but maybe they could have avoided it by trading him before his 10th game. It seems to me that if a player gets a bonus for playing 10 games, the team he’s on when he plays the 10th game would be responsible for paying the bonus and should therefore be liable for the cap hit.
CD282 liked this.
Jan. 22 at 11:08 p.m.

Bonus has been paid but its tied to the cap hit, which is moved when you trade a contract.
The actual dollars have been given to Brown but we can move his contract and his cap hit goes with it.
Jan. 22 at 11:15 p.m.
Edited Jan. 22 at 11:38 p.m.
Bonus has been paid but its tied to the cap hit, which is moved when you trade a contract.
The actual dollars have been given to Brown but we can move his contract and his cap hit goes with it.

That’s certainly true for signing bonuses but I thought performance bonuses were different. However, the only information I could find about performance bonuses being treated differently is the ability to defer all or part of their cap hit to the following season, so you may be right that the Oilers can get rid of the performance bonus cap hit even after the bonus has been earned and paid. I’m sure there’ll be a price for that, like any other cap dump, but at least it appears they can do it, and it won’t cost the team acquiring him any real money (other than his base salary) since the bonus has already been paid, so such a trade could appeal to a budget team that is well below the cap. In fact, such a team could take the cap hit this season, allowing both teams to go into next season without that liability.
Jan. 23 at 12:30 a.m.
and proud of it
You’ll find them above on this page

Tbh, I still hate Perry more than most, but hey, pretty tough list
vmark liked this.
Jan. 23 at 8:04 a.m.
Leafs going to Leafs
Quoting: jr400
True but Perry’s bonus will make up less than 10% of that, and they have to make it all the way to the cup final for him to get all of it, so I don’t think his is unreasonable. I’m not sure but I think by paying it as a bonus instead of adding it to his base salary, if its cap hit gets deferred to next season they may have also avoided having it pro-rated.

Apparently they learned their lesson with Brown’s bonus and were much less generous with Perry. They should have tied Brown’s bonus to goals rather than games played. (Or are they not allowed to do that when the player is bonus eligible due to an injury?)

I get that, as I still voted yes, but was just pointing out how this year has to be EDM's year IMO

As for Brown, I kind of get it, but at the same time, I think Holland was scared he was going to walk elsewhere and McGM wouldn't be happy with him
Jan. 23 at 12:05 p.m.
Binnington is dirty... He takes cheap shots and because his a goalie he can get away with it... This year has been a quiet one but there is 5-10 cases every season when he does this or does some other annoying crybaby thing. Also his been rubbish the season after said cup run

Quoting: vmark
as a pens fan, in no particular order,

Tom Wilson... well I lied he's the dirtiest scumbag in the league so he's #1

Trouba
Marchand
Evander Kane
Kadri... He was dirty when he was younger I don't know about now... famous clip of Sid calling him a joke, I was watching that game live, he was throwing them high bows

Zegras is just annoying I don't care about him enough to hate him

Binner isn't dirty is he? i respect that Cup run

and legit I believe Pinto was a scapegoat so if you hate on him, gimme the deets of what he did

Gauthier went about that all wrong and I lost all respect for him, even though i clearly don't like the Flyers at all. he's like Zegras, basically irrelevant, but what pretentiousness eh?

So yeah, IDK about 8 legit ones.

But tom wilson... he's the dirtiest guy I've ever seen play BY FAR... and anyone in the Metro who has had to watch him try to hurt people in the playoffs knows this

Lots of people say Perry is dirty, so his reputation proceeds itself

His nickname on hockey reference is The Worm for gahds sakez

vmark liked this.
Jan. 23 at 12:46 p.m.
IG vincemark78
Quoting: drizzt
Binnington is dirty... He takes cheap shots and because his a goalie he can get away with it... This year has been a quiet one but there is 5-10 cases every season when he does this or does some other annoying crybaby thing. Also his been rubbish the season after said cup run

Ah got ya, yea I don't respect that type of ish. I saw some shenanigans obviously, and at the time wasn't a fan of those either. Since that '19 run, you are right, I've noticed his play drop off big time overall. This year looked like he might be ready to not suck, then uh... yeah. Looks like his old self again.

One of the worst contracts in the league, if we're being honest, but hey, Doug Armstrong let Petro walk so they could sign Krug and Faulk so clearly he knows what he's doing.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Loading animation
Submit Poll Edit