Forums/Armchair-GM

Terrible Bergevin Legacy

Created by: jonh514
Team: 2024-25 Montreal Canadiens
Initial Creation Date: Jan. 27, 2024
Published: Jan. 27, 2024
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
We cannot live with another 3 years of Anderson & Gallagher. They both had their moments in this league, especially Gally, but man oh man they are not good.

Anderson is basically toxic for any line he is on. The XGF% and the share of scoring chances have been talked to death. This guy is a millstone on whatever line he is on and on the Habs in general.

Gally... It really breaks my heart, but the consistent bad penalties in the 3rd... His body just can't keep up anymore. His heart is never in question, but veterans are supposed to set an example for the younger guys and are not supposed to take bad penalties because of the benefits of their experience. He's done. He can play on a 4th line maybe, but not at 6.5M/year.

If this team is serious about rebuilding, we need to take some tough decisions like Minnesota did. It'll hurt to buy them out, but it won't hurt that long, and the sooner we do it the better.

We have a lot of prospects who deserve a shot in the NHL and we are not giving them that shot. I am not just talking about Roy & Farrell, but guys like Lias Andersson who I think has earned a call up.

If we did this, 2026-27 would be the only really painful year, all the other years would pass relatively painlessly.

I want to be clear - It's not about the cap space, it's about turning the page on a few forwards who the game has passed by.
Free Agent Signings
RFAYEARSCAP HIT
1$950,000
2$1,400,000
2$1,400,000
2$1,100,000
UFAYEARSCAP HIT
5$5,500,000
7$11,000,000
Trades
MTL
ANA
  1. Allen, Jake
Additional Details:
Anywhere for anything 2023-24 TDL
Buyouts
Retained Salary Transactions
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the COL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MIN
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the SJS
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the WSH
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the CGY
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the VAN
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the DET
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
24$87,500,000$75,317,639$1,022,500$3,977,500$12,182,361
Left WingCentreRight Wing
Logo of the Montreal Canadiens
$7,850,000$7,850,000
LW, RW
UFA - 7
$7,875,000$7,875,000
C
UFA - 6
$11,000,000$11,000,000
RW
UFA
$5,500,000$5,500,000
C, LW, RW
UFA
$3,362,500$3,362,500
C, RW
RFA - 2
$950,000$950,000 (Performance Bonus$3,500,000$4M)
RW, LW
RFA - 1
$2,900,000$2,900,000
C, LW
RFA - 3
$1,700,000$1,700,000
C
UFA - 1
$3,400,000$3,400,000
RW, LW
UFA - 1
$1,100,000$1,100,000
LW, RW
RFA - 1
$4,450,000$4,450,000
C
M-NTC
UFA - 1
$1,100,000$1,100,000
RW, LW
RFA
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$4,875,000$4,875,000
LD
M-NTC
UFA - 2
$3,500,000$3,500,000
RD
UFA - 1
$3,150,000$3,150,000
G
UFA - 3
$863,333$863,333 (Performance Bonus$420,000$420K)
LD/RD
RFA - 1
$1,400,000$1,400,000
LD/RD
RFA - 1
$890,000$890,000
G
RFA - 1
$867,500$867,500 (Performance Bonus$57,500$58K)
LD
RFA - 1
$1,400,000$1,400,000
RD
RFA
ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
$766,667$766,667
RD
UFA - 1
$10,500,000$10,500,000
G
NMC
UFA - 2
$1,400,000$1,400,000
LD/RD
RFA
$812,500$812,500
LW, RW
UFA - 1
$950,000$950,000
C, LW
RFA

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Jan. 27 at 8:00 a.m.
Tank it baby
Is Lias Andersson the kid who threw his silver medal into the crowd at WJC years ago?

Former Rangers prospect? 🤔
jonh514 and Matt1567 liked this.
Jan. 27 at 8:01 a.m.
HuGo is a Boss GM
Quoting: SharkTank
Is Lias Andersson the kid who threw his silver medal into the crowd at WJC years ago?

Former Rangers prospect? 🤔

Yeah, same guy.
OldNYIfan and Matt1567 liked this.
Jan. 27 at 8:02 a.m.
Tank it baby
Quoting: jonh514
Yeah, same guy.

Thought so thanks.
OldNYIfan liked this.
Jan. 27 at 8:06 a.m.
Interesting, you never see buyout ACGMs on here.

Isn’t Gallagher pretty beat up? I wonder if it’s worth buying out someone who has a non-zero chance of LTIRing as he ages. Dude has a lot of miles on his body.

If Anderson is really a huge anchor in the NHL, I feel like it would be better to look for a trade with retention or bury him in the AHL.

I think it would be brutal if you did these major buyouts and then hit a nice window of contention in 2026-2027.
Shanesaw9 and jonh514 liked this.
Jan. 27 at 8:06 a.m.
Habs 2010
Edited Jan. 27 at 8:36 a.m.
Minnesota bought those players put and had some short term gain, now they are kinda screwed.

There is literally no reason to buy out Anderson and Gallagher because MTL already has a surplus of cap space... unless you have a plan for it you are only hurting the future of the team. They'd be better off burying them, Gallagher is finished 14th forward at most, Anderson would be fine on a 4th line if it came to that.

Edit: Don't get me wrong though, the thought has occurred to me regarding Gallagher, best case scenario would be he ends up on LTIR.
jonh514, JackAce91 and Matt1567 liked this.
Jan. 27 at 8:19 a.m.
Tank it baby
Edited Jan. 27 at 8:25 a.m.
With $13 mil in cap there's no reason to buyout anyone.

Cap is apparently going to keep going up the next few years.

Habs will want to make sure they hit the cap floor as their young guys make the jump to the NHL.

I know Gally is respected on that team and he can provide some leadership.

I don't know about Anderson.

I remember Yzerman buying out Abdelkader when he had 3 years left on his contract.

His lazy play and "don't care" attitude were affecting the young players in my opinion.

But Yzerman kept Franz Nielsen around even though he was clearly done.

But he provided good leadership for the young guys coming up.

He wasn't bought out until he had 1 year left on his contract.
Jan. 27 at 8:38 a.m.
The Monahan and Reinhart signings are very risky.

Reinhart has never been this good, which would be fine if he was 23 and it's a breakout type deal. But it's not, hes 28. More likely a one-hit wonder type of season. Giving him 11 million for the next 7 years is risky when he hasn't proven he can repeat this. Monahan is crazy injury prone, and mainly a bottom-6 guy at this point in his career. Shelling out all that money for all that term for a guy who you got because he couldn't stay healthy could go bad very quick.

If the window opens in 3-5 years, you risk already having bad contracts. That money could be better spent. Also, Montreal isn't really at a point to be buying a guy like Reinhart. Could easily turn into a Johnny Gaudreau to Columbus type deal, except for a player who put up less points for 1.25 million more.
MisstheWhalers liked this.
Jan. 27 at 8:39 a.m.
LBS
I agree the Habs should be looking to let those guys go but, not through buyout if they can avoid it.
I'd go the half retention route if the oppurtunity arose.
The Habs are close to competing, that year 2026-27 is likely the year they start challenging for the play-offs.
I'd rather eat the harsher caphits early and have it shed faster than a lighter hit, that could affect the team when they are finally good.
jonh514 and MisstheWhalers liked this.
Jan. 27 at 8:43 a.m.
LBS
Quoting: lowblocksniper
I agree the Habs should be looking to let those guys go but, not through buyout if they can avoid it.
The Habs are close to competing, that year 2026-27 is likely the year they start challenging for the play-offs.
I'd rather eat the harsher caphits early and have it shed faster than a lighter hit, that could affect the team when they are finally good.

Yeah, I wouldn't offer Monahan that contract, keep it 1-2 years or long term for a smaller amount 3.5mil range. He deserves a lot, great player, great leader and if he wasn't injury prone he'd be the Flames Captain instead of Backlund right now but, even he knows his history is against him for any future deals
Jan. 27 at 8:43 a.m.
HuGo is a Boss GM
Quoting: JackAce91
The Monahan and Reinhart signings are very risky.

Reinhart has never been this good, which would be fine if he was 23 and it's a breakout type deal. But it's not, hes 28. More likely a one-hit wonder type of season. Giving him 11 million for the next 7 years is risky when he hasn't proven he can repeat this. Monahan is crazy injury prone, and mainly a bottom-6 guy at this point in his career. Shelling out all that money for all that term for a guy who you got because he couldn't stay healthy could go bad very quick.

If the window opens in 3-5 years, you risk already having bad contracts. That money could be better spent. Also, Montreal isn't really at a point to be buying a guy like Reinhart. Could easily turn into a Johnny Gaudreau to Columbus type deal, except for a player who put up less points for 1.25 million more.

Reinhart is averaging 82pts 3 seasons in a row, is he not? He dipped last year it's true, but the Habs don't currently have an 82 pts player and we are not buying a 100pt guy here but a PPG guy which, IMO, he has proved that he is.
OldNYIfan liked this.
Jan. 27 at 8:48 a.m.
HuGo is a Boss GM
Quoting: turtlemountain
Interesting, you never see buyout ACGMs on here.

Isn’t Gallagher pretty beat up? I wonder if it’s worth buying out someone who has a non-zero chance of LTIRing as he ages. Dude has a lot of miles on his body.

If Anderson is really a huge anchor in the NHL, I feel like it would be better to look for a trade with retention or bury him in the AHL.

I think it would be brutal if you did these major buyouts and then hit a nice window of contention in 2026-2027.

Quoting: Shanesaw9
Minnesota bought those players put and had some short term gain, now they are kinda screwed.

There is literally no reason to buy out Anderson and Gallagher because MTL already has a surplus of cap space... unless you have a plan for it you are only hurting the future of the team. They'd be better off burying them, Gallagher is finished 14th forward at most, Anderson would be fine on a 4th line if it came to that.

Edit: Don't get me wrong though, the thought has occurred to me regarding Gallagher, best case scenario would be he ends up on LTIR.

Quoting: SharkTank
With $13 mil in cap there's no reason to buyout anyone.

Cap is apparently going to keep going up the next few years.

Habs will want to make sure they hit the cap floor as their young guys make the jump to the NHL.

I know Gally is respected on that team and he can provide some leadership.

I don't know about Anderson.

I remember Yzerman buying out Abdelkader when he had 3 years left on his contract.

His lazy play and "don't care" attitude were affecting the young players in my opinion.

But Yzerman kept Franz Nielsen around even though he was clearly done.

But he provided good leadership for the young guys coming up.

He wasn't bought out until he had 1 year left on his contract.

Guys, thanks for the responses.

I agree that holding their cap hits to get it over sooner is better, but not if the coach and GM insist on playing them. Which of course they will.
OldNYIfan liked this.
Jan. 27 at 8:57 a.m.
LBS

I agree that holding their cap hits to get it over sooner is better, but not if the coach and GM insist on playing them. Which of course they will.

Yeah most coaches have a hard time benching vets, especially a guy like MSL who knows what it's like having people say he was done and over the hill (he was much older when it happened like 38, Gally and Anderson are about 30, and he's a HOFer) not an apples to apples situation but, I'm sure he's sympathetic to their situations especially Gally's
Jan. 27 at 9:03 a.m.
Habs 2010

Yeah I don't get it why it's so hard to bench Gallagher. Armia was sent to Laval and he's a better player, Ylonen can't even get into the lineup over him, Pezzetta fights for his teammates and will be scratched over Gally, Armia, Pezetta, and Xhekaj take bad penalties and St. Louis benches them and talks about it to the media... Gallagher takes multiple bad penalties and he still plays.

If the team or management wants to send a message they should just strip Gallagher of the A, Brown gave up his C to Kopitar in LA and finished his career off pretty positively. Might spark Gallagher honestly.
jonh514 and MisstheWhalers liked this.
Jan. 27 at 9:09 a.m.
Reinhart not worth 11m nor 10, maybe 9, between 8-8.5 is more like it

Galy was signed for what he did not what he would have done in the future

Anderson has been overhyped his entire career, he is a 3rd liner not a top 6
MisstheWhalers liked this.
Jan. 27 at 9:20 a.m.
HuGo is a Boss GM
Yeah most coaches have a hard time benching vets, especially a guy like MSL who knows what it's like having people say he was done and over the hill (he was much older when it happened like 38, Gally and Anderson are about 30, and he's a HOFer) not an apples to apples situation but, I'm sure he's sympathetic to their situations especially Gally's

Quoting: Shanesaw9
Yeah I don't get it why it's so hard to bench Gallagher. Armia was sent to Laval and he's a better player, Ylonen can't even get into the lineup over him, Pezzetta fights for his teammates and will be scratched over Gally, Armia, Pezetta, and Xhekaj take bad penalties and St. Louis benches them and talks about it to the media... Gallagher takes multiple bad penalties and he still plays.

If the team or management wants to send a message they should just strip Gallagher of the A, Brown gave up his C to Kopitar in LA and finished his career off pretty positively. Might spark Gallagher honestly.

Maybe compromise and buy them out going into 2025-26?
lowblocksniper liked this.
Jan. 27 at 9:45 a.m.
Edited Jan. 27 at 10:16 a.m.
Gally can be sheltered in a 4th line role until the end of his contrat or when his body is not able to play hockey anymore. Buffalo did and are still doing the same thing with Okposo. Same kind of players, they both have a below average skating but bring good leadership.

For Anderson, the perfect chair for him is 3rd line PWF. Anderson is not hurting you if he’s playing on the 3rd line and maybe on the 2nd PP. With the salary cap going up like crazy for few years, his cap % will be far more interesting for teams. Might be tradable at 50% retain in 2-3 years.
Shanesaw9 and MisstheWhalers liked this.
Jan. 27 at 9:58 a.m.
LongtimeLeafsufferer
Nice analysis of the Habs. Kinda funny, going to just last season, so many Habs fans were saying that Hughes was offered a first rounder and more for Anderson. But somehow that wasn'tenough.
All that because some fiction writer named LeBrun said so.
OldNYIfan and Newgod77 liked this.
Jan. 27 at 10:40 a.m.
Tank it baby
Quoting: palhal
Nice analysis of the Habs. Kinda funny, going to just last season, so many Habs fans were saying that Hughes was offered a first rounder and more for Anderson. But somehow that wasn'tenough.
All that because some fiction writer named LeBrun said so.

Wouldn't be the first time Lebrun has pulled rumors from his arse. 🙄

Probably won't be the last. ☹️
Jan. 27 at 10:40 a.m.
MisstheWhalers
Buying out Gally and Andy to sign Reinhart to that awful contract would be insanity, you're just adding another future buyout, no chance Reinhart lives up to an $11M deal.

That Monahan contract is pretty risky too.

Can't say I get to watch a lot of Habs games but I would think both of these guys could still be effective with the right centers in the right roles on the right line which is 3rd or 4th line and yes I realize that's typically too much cap hit for a bottom sixer BUT if they make up an effective bottom six then so be it.
Also if you have some kid on an ELC elsewhere in the forward group who's contributing for cheap then it kind of offsets the guys who aren't totally living up to their cap hits, thats the way I look at it anyway.

Are Gally and Andy really blocking Sean Farrel from getting ice time? Can't imagine they're the same kind of players and coaches are always going to want grinders in grinders roles, smallish skilled prospects trying to cut their teeth in a 3rd/4th line role rarely goes well for that prospect.

The Habs have cap space and guys coming off the books in a year or two, I think a team is better off to hold off on a buyout to shorten the years of dead cap.

Ultimately I wish there were more bad cap swaps like the
Lucic/Neal swap... 😆
Jan. 27 at 12:31 p.m.
Joel Armia is also an horrible contract in Bergevin legacy

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll