Forums/Armchair-GM

Worst Contracts Controversial Sorry

Created by: TM11
Team: 2023-24 Custom Team
Initial Creation Date: Feb. 9, 2024
Published: Feb. 9, 2024
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
I know this is going to make a lot of yall made so I will say this, this is not just based on the current contract but the effect it has/will have on the teams and their future plans, I will talk about the ones I know will be controversial
NJD- Dougie has been really good for the Devils the issue lies with the young D in Hughes, Nemec, and Casey, 3 guys that will be more than capable of running an NHL PP this/next year because the 2 of them already do. Dougie is a good offensive D but the Devils will soon be paying 9 Mil to a sub-par Defender for the next 4 years that might not even be on the PP. Timo's fit after the deadline already concerned me because when you have a go from the go-to-all all situations guy to needing to find a role on a contender and play the right way we see production dip and I frankly cannot see Timo ever being more than a 65-75 point physical presence in NJ
LAK- Danualt is the best shutdown center in the NHL, Byfield did/does have one of the brightest futures as a center in the NHL. singing Danualt for that long after already drafting Byfield, Turcotte, and Kupari seemed puzzling. Danualt provides everything he's asked for in the middle of the ice. But with Kupari, and Turcotte never getting full shots in the NHL and Byfield on the wing currently not developing at center it begs the question of was signing Danualt to make the team competitive for early playoff exits is worth creating a jam in the middle of the ice, Dubios is obvious lmao
DET- Y'all literally signed the same person back-to-back offseason. Elite 3cs and low-end 2cs. Not bad players but if you really want to try and win. a cup I dont think all that money into the C position for those players is good
OTT- Chabot again is a good player but with Sanderson already locked up it is looking like Chychrun will have to be dealt for cap reasons and I know if Ottawa could keep 2/3 for the next 8 years it would be Sanderson & Chychrun, not Chabot and his subpar D
WSH- I am a Caps fan and I love Wilson and all he does and has brought to DC. But the list of big Powerforwards that play that rugged style game and have already had a torn acl and will return value on a contract 8 years into the future is very minimal , Darcy also was signed to keep us in contention for at least 2-3 years and hes already not the best goalie on our team
NYI- IDK who Lou is doing, at the same time once these deals are bad the iles will be out of contention anyway so they aren't terrible just weird
CGY- Huby you already know
MTL- Yall already know, wonder if Anderson can still fetch a first though lmao
Sj- Vlassic yall already know, Couture isn't bad just 4 years left at 8, and he's getting up there in age. At the same time SJ doesn't look to be contending anytime soon and given Couture is arguably one of the best playoff performers in like 2 years they could trade him at like 50% retained for a haul
ANA- Similar to SJ i doubt Killer's contract will affect yall when you actually need to spend and he is definitely a good leader just a massive overpay. Gibson was an elite goalie for years ago, now after November the last couple years it looks like he's stopped trying and just lives off his name
CBJ- Yall already know
STL- I honestly do not watch yall enough, this is just based on Krug's offseason trade denial, then boxscore watching Parayko, Binninton also always seems to have similar stats as his backups which seems like he isn't worth the money
NYR- Yall love him as your captain, but I dont think 8 Mil is what you pay a locker room guy
EDM- Yall already know
PIT- The last thing the pens needed this offseason was another Offensive RHD who couldn't play defense (already had Letang), so yall got a more injury-prone and expensive version and kept Letang, just never seemed like a fit
SEA- Yall already know
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
32$83,500,000$217,341,667$0$0-$133,841,667
Left WingCentreRight Wing
Logo of the Calgary Flames
$10,500,000$10,500,000
LW, RW
NMC
UFA - 8
Logo of the Los Angeles Kings
$8,500,000$8,500,000
C
UFA - 8
Logo of the Montreal Canadiens
$5,500,000$5,500,000
RW, LW
M-NTC
UFA - 4
Logo of the New Jersey Devils
$8,800,000$8,800,000
LW, RW
UFA - 8
Logo of the Los Angeles Kings
$5,500,000$5,500,000
C
NMC
UFA - 4
Logo of the Montreal Canadiens
$6,500,000$6,500,000
RW, LW
M-NTC, NMC
UFA - 4
$6,000,000$6,000,000
LW, RW
NMC
UFA - 4
Logo of the Detroit Red Wings
$5,625,000$5,625,000
C, LW, RW
M-NTC
UFA - 4
Logo of the Anaheim Ducks
$6,250,000$6,250,000
RW, LW
NTC
UFA - 4
Logo of the New York Islanders
$3,000,000$3,000,000
RW, LW
M-NTC
UFA - 7
Logo of the Detroit Red Wings
$5,100,000$5,100,000
C, RW
M-NTC
UFA - 5
Logo of the Washington Capitals
$5,166,667$5,166,667
RW
M-NTC
UFA - 1
$7,000,000$7,000,000
LW
NTC
UFA - 3
Logo of the San Jose Sharks
$8,000,000$8,000,000
C
M-NTC
UFA - 4
Logo of the Dallas Stars
$9,850,000$9,850,000
C, RW
NMC
UFA - 4
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
Logo of the San Jose Sharks
$7,000,000$7,000,000
LD/RD
M-NTC
UFA - 3
$9,000,000$9,000,000
RD
NMC
UFA - 5
Logo of the Seattle Kraken
$5,900,000$5,900,000
G
NTC
UFA - 4
Logo of the New York Rangers
$8,000,000$8,000,000
RD
NMC
UFA - 3
Logo of the Pittsburgh Penguins
$10,000,000$10,000,000
RD
NMC
UFA - 4
Logo of the Edmonton Oilers
$5,000,000$5,000,000
G
M-NTC
UFA - 4
Logo of the Ottawa Senators
$8,000,000$8,000,000
LD
UFA - 5
Logo of the Columbus Blue Jackets
$4,000,000$4,000,000
RD
M-NTC
UFA - 3
Logo of the Washington Capitals
$5,250,000$5,250,000
G
M-NTC
UFA - 4
Logo of the St. Louis Blues
$6,500,000$6,500,000
LD
NTC
UFA - 4
$3,500,000$3,500,000
RD
NTC
UFA - 7
Logo of the Anaheim Ducks
$6,400,000$6,400,000
G
M-NTC
UFA - 4
Logo of the Edmonton Oilers
$9,250,000$9,250,000
LD
NMC
UFA - 7
$6,500,000$6,500,000
RD
NTC
UFA - 7
$6,000,000$6,000,000
G
NTC
UFA - 4
Logo of the Columbus Blue Jackets
$6,250,000$6,250,000
RD
NTC
UFA - 8
Logo of the Chicago Blackhawks
$9,500,000$9,500,000
RD
NMC
UFA - 7

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Feb. 9 at 6:19 p.m.
Quoting: mokumboi
Pipeline? They're trying to win now, and Turcotte ain't gonna come anywhere near spelling Danault.

They signed Danualt a couple years ago when they had Byfield and Turcotte in the pipeline. Im just saying if their C depth went like Kopi-Byfield-Dubois RN and they spent that Danualt money on a top 6 winger are the Kings better or worse, especially if they let Byfield develop at C the last year
Feb. 9 at 6:20 p.m.
Quoting: dgibb10
Nemec and Luke were brought onto a contending team.

Making the playoffs 1 year qualifies as a contender? Lmao

and having 0 positional competition is the main difference between ranger and devils young talent. Devils players got thrown into top 6, high playing time allowing them to grow and develop
Feb. 9 at 6:20 p.m.
Quoting: tryger
You do realize that when Kopitar retires Danault is the Kings best option at 1C. Byfield has played wing better than any position, he might move to center but he still would need time to adapt. Danault has gone to the cup finals against the hardest 1Cs in the league. His playoff prowess is one of his best qualities.

Im just saying if their C depth went like Kopi-Byfield-Dubois RN and they spent that Danualt money on a top 6 winger are the Kings better or worse, especially if they let Byfield develop at C the last year. I am not an in depth Kings know it all so I wont say I am but from an outsiders perspective they werent really cup contenders when they singed him and I just think letting the young kids grow into their roles as centers might of been more benefical to the Kings 5 yeas down the line
Feb. 9 at 6:23 p.m.
mokumboi
Quoting: TM11
They signed Danualt a couple years ago when they had Byfield and Turcotte in the pipeline. Im just saying if their C depth went like Kopi-Byfield-Dubois RN and they spent that Danualt money on a top 6 winger are the Kings better or worse, especially if they let Byfield develop at C the last year

I think they're obviously worse right now without Danault, he does so much that doesn't show up on the boxscore.
TM11, tryger and MisstheWhalers liked this.
Feb. 9 at 6:27 p.m.
I Love J Boqvist
Quoting: Rags21

and having 0 positional competition is the main difference between ranger and devils young talent. Devils players got thrown into top 6, high playing time allowing them to grow and develop

The rangers are literally 1 year further along than NJD.

Rangers 1st playoff appearance was in 21-22, NJD in 22-23.

What positional competition? The rangers haven't had a good RW (outside of rentals of Kane and Senko) in Kakko's entire tenure.
Feb. 9 at 6:27 p.m.
I mean their picks are no brainers (hirshier, both Hughes, nemec) so how much credit are you really gonna give? The only thing I’d say their GM is good at is getting good value on their top players contract (except Meier because I don’t think he’s that good)

Nemec wasnt a no brainer, Patrick was the project 1 over Hischer and Hughes wasnt a gaurenteed top 5 pick either
dgibb10 liked this.
Feb. 9 at 6:29 p.m.
Im just saying if their C depth went like Kopi-Byfield-Dubois RN and they spent that Danualt money on a top 6 winger are the Kings better or worse, especially if they let Byfield develop at C the last year. I am not an in depth Kings know it all so I wont say I am but from an outsiders perspective they werent really cup contenders when they singed him and I just think letting the young kids grow into their roles as centers might of been more benefical to the Kings 5 yeas down the line

So your issue with Danault isn't his contract or his play, but that LA shouldn't have got him because in 2 years they would sign PLD?

Byfield has played one game at center, Turcotte is more likely to be given that opportunity but just scored his first NHL goal on the 4th line. It's ok that you haven't watched that many Kings games, but you know he's a shutdown guy and on a points pace he's been much better in LA, so I don't understand why you think that someone who would likely get more in free agency now is on a bad contract. Because I can tell you Habs fans would sign him at $6M in a heartbeat.
mokumboi liked this.
Feb. 9 at 6:29 p.m.
Feb. 9 at 6:30 p.m.
I Love J Boqvist
Nemec wasnt a no brainer, Patrick was the project 1 over Hischer and Hughes wasnt a gaurenteed top 5 pick either

Rangers fans preferred Kakko at time of draft.
It was 50/50 between Nico and Nolan
Nemec was NOT supposed to go before Wright or Cooley.
The Luke pick faced extreme criticism.

Only no brainers since they worked out
mokumboi and dannibalcorpse liked this.
Feb. 9 at 6:31 p.m.
The rangers are literally 1 year further along than NJD.

Rangers 1st playoff appearance was in 21-22, NJD in 22-23.

What positional competition? The rangers haven't had a good RW (outside of rentals of Kane and Senko) in Kakko's entire tenure.

Kreider and Panarin ahead of Laffy
Mika and Strome and trocheck ahead of chytil
Buchy and Blackwell and Fast and Hunt ahead of Kakko lol

The coaches REFUSED to put any of them in a position to succeed
Feb. 9 at 6:32 p.m.
Quoting: tryger
So your issue with Danault isn't his contract or his play, but that LA shouldn't have got him because in 2 years they would sign PLD?
Yeah Im not saying him or the contract is bad, this was like more of an organzational thing, Like how i put Dougie from NJ. Hes been worth every penny for far, but they have Hughes, Nemec and Casey coming up so soon will be paying an offensive D 9M to not even run a PP. I dont blame you kings fans for loving everything about that contract, this is just an outsider's perspective of wondering how the team would be with Kop-Byfield-Dubois as a C core and of spen the Danualt money elsewhere

Byfield has played one game at center, Turcotte is more likely to be given that opportunity. It's ok that you haven't watched that many Kings games, but you know he's a shutdown guy and on a points pace he's been much better in LA, so I don't understand why you think that someone who would likely get more in free agency now is on a bad contract. Because I can tell you Habs fans would sign him at $6M in a heartbeat.
Feb. 9 at 6:32 p.m.
Devils are fully happy with Palat…he was right guy at right time for us. He has earned his “A” and I hope he finishes his career here.

Dougie is hurt, so a little silly to include him now. When healthy, he is one of the best in league (in last five seasons he has had two with injuries, but was top-10 in Norris in other three).

Timo has been hurt since he arrived, so he gets a pass for now, but he could earn a spot here if this becomes the norm.
Feb. 9 at 6:33 p.m.

Rangers fans preferred Kakko at time of draft.
It was 50/50 between Nico and Nolan
Nemec was NOT supposed to go before Wright or Cooley.
The Luke pick faced extreme criticism.

Only no brainers since they worked out

Nemec was a no brainer because of positional need and of course they were gonna take Hughes brother to make him happy

Lmao you devil fans hold on to that “NYR fans cheered so loud when Hughes/Kakko was drafted” meanwhile its so far wrong 😂
Feb. 9 at 6:38 p.m.
Let's look at some defenseman:
Stats 5v5 and percentile taken among defensemen with 600+ min

Player A:
Expected Goals per 60: 0.30 (97th%)
%Goals: 59.7% (88th%)
Expected Goals Against per 60: 2.48 (50th%)

Player B:
Expected Goals per 60: 0.39 (99th%)
%Goals: 51.9% (57th%)
Expected Goals Against per 60: 2.68 (28th%)

Player C:
Expected Goals per 60: 0.25 (93rd%)
%Goals: 53.1% (64th%)
Expected Goals Against per 60: 2.27 (80th%)

Player D:
Expected Goals per 60: 0.23 (84th%)
%Goals: 56.0% (79th%)
Expected Goals Against per 60: 2.56 (43rd%)

Player E:
Expected Goals per 60: 0.22 (73rd%)
%Goals: 55.0% (75th%)
Expected Goals Against per 60: 3.13 (2nd%)

The players above are (in alphabetical order)
Hedman
Karlsson
Makar
McAvoy
Toews

Which is which?
Feb. 9 at 6:41 p.m.
I Love J Boqvist
Nemec was a no brainer because of positional need and of course they were gonna take Hughes brother to make him happy

Lmao you devil fans hold on to that “NYR fans cheered so loud when Hughes/Kakko was drafted” meanwhile its so far wrong 😂

The devils had both Severson and Hamilton when they drafted Nemec.
mokumboi liked this.
Feb. 9 at 6:42 p.m.
Bratt at #162
Sharangovich at #141
Gritsyuk at #129

Extending Hughes at $8m
Extending Hischier at $7m
Extending Siegenthaler at $3.4m

Selling Coleman for 1st, prospect
Adding Siegenthaler for 3rd
Adding Marino for Smith, 3rd
Selling a departing UFA rights for a 3rd

Injuries happen…I wouldn’t trade our rebuild for anyones.
dgibb10 liked this.
Feb. 9 at 6:44 p.m.
The devils had both Severson and Hamilton when they drafted Nemec.

Yea ok and? He wasn’t playing bottom pair 10 minutes a game lmao keep digging yourself a deeper and deeper hole
Feb. 9 at 6:45 p.m.
The point im saying is I dont know if the current Kings makeup wins them the cup and would you look back in 2 years and say maybe those 2 early playoff exits weren't worth not having Byfield play his normal positon to develop and keep Turcotte down? The cap and the contract is not bad, its what signing him has done to their pipeline.

Turcotte wasn't kept down because of roster logjam. He's been injured for the majority of his professional career. Now that he's healthy, he's getting his chance, and he looks really good.

Byfield has only started to look fantastic this season. Last season he was still a project waiting to emerge. The Kings wanted him on Kopitar's line.

The Kings went out and acquired Dubois because they weren't convinced that Byfield was ready to be a NHL regular and they thought Vilardi wouldn't succeed at center. So even with Danault in the lineup, they were still short on centers.
Feb. 9 at 6:47 p.m.

Jircek Was ranked higher by alot of people and There was alot of talk about clarke. Yes they couldve all been top 5 picks but look at guys like Tucotte, Joleuvi, Kakko, Pulijarvi etc just because they were a "no brainer" doesnt mean their bound to work out, also Bratt in rd 6 was a pretty good pick
dgibb10 liked this.
Feb. 9 at 6:48 p.m.
I Love J Boqvist
Yea ok and? He wasn’t playing bottom pair 10 minutes a game lmao keep digging yourself a deeper and deeper hole

Kakko's RW competition has been what?

Blake wheeler? Julian Gauthier? Half a season of broken hip kane and tarasenko?

I can't think of a spot more ripe for the taking than the 1RW slot has been on the rangers for the last 5 years. They gave it to 40 year old Blake Wheeler ffs.
Feb. 9 at 6:49 p.m.

Lafreniere, Kakko, Kravtsov, Andersson, McIlrath, Jessiman, Lundmark, Brendl, Malhotra

If they only got more ice time LOL
TM11 and dgibb10 liked this.
Feb. 9 at 6:56 p.m.
Quoting: NHLfan10506
Lafreniere, Kakko, Kravtsov, Andersson, McIlrath, Jessiman, Lundmark, Brendl, Malhotra

If they only got more ice time LOL

How are you devils doing this year? Running out of excuses?

Wah injuries, wah goalie, wah coaching

Better be careful because Hirschier and Hughes following chytil injury footsteps being made of glass….
Feb. 9 at 6:57 p.m.
Kakko's RW competition has been what?

Blake wheeler? Julian Gauthier? Half a season of broken hip kane and tarasenko?

I can't think of a spot more ripe for the taking than the 1RW slot has been on the rangers for the last 5 years. They gave it to 40 year old Blake Wheeler ffs.

You act like it’s his choice to be buried on the team lmao

It’s the same way y’all **** and moan and complain about Holtz being buried lol…..

It’s like talking to a brain dead hockey fan right now
Feb. 9 at 6:58 p.m.
Jircek Was ranked higher by alot of people and There was alot of talk about clarke. Yes they couldve all been top 5 picks but look at guys like Tucotte, Joleuvi, Kakko, Pulijarvi etc just because they were a "no brainer" doesnt mean their bound to work out, also Bratt in rd 6 was a pretty good pick

And I’d bet if ranger got Hughes or Nemec or anyone else the devils drafted, they would be buried and not developed well lol

Same goes for Kakko being drafted by a bottom feeder and getting top line minutes from the get go
Feb. 9 at 7:02 p.m.
I Love J Boqvist
You act like it’s his choice to be buried on the team lmao

It’s the same way y’all **** and moan and complain about Holtz being buried lol…..

It’s like talking to a brain dead hockey fan right now

You're the one who mentioned "positional competition"

You pointed out 1 year playoffs for the devils, yet claim Kakko and Laffy were drafted to contenders (they didn't make the playoffs until year 3 of their NHL careers).

You claim the devils didn't have any positional competition.
Mercer plays the same position as Jack and Nico. Can't think of any tougher comp than that. So he moved to a different position, where the team still had Jesper Bratt and earned it.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll