Forums/Armchair-GM

Byram Mitts Clarke Trade Discussion

Created by: Lancebmx
Team: 2023-24 Buffalo Sabres
Initial Creation Date: Feb. 16, 2024
Published: Feb. 16, 2024
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
Just a hypothetical trade discussion involving a 3 way trade between Buffalo, LA and Colorado. The basis of the trade is Casey Mittelstadt for Bowen Byram where Buffalo then sends Byram to the Kings for Brant Clarke. Colorado gets their second line centre in Mitts. LA gets a high profile LHD who can succeed Gavrikov eventually. Buffalo gets their RHD they so desperately need.
Obviously a lot of different things need to happen here for this to work. An extension agreed with Colorado would likely be in the $7M range. That would hinder their cap situation greatly next season unless Landeskog can't come back. I know he's skating and stuff but trying to return from what he had to go through is extremely difficult, if anyone can though it's Gabriel.
For the Kings, obviously Clarke isn't available in normal circumstances. They would have to believe Byram can become the player everyone expected him to be, I believe he has star potential still. They would also have to have an extension for Roy in the works or close to done. If they aren't confident they can get Roy signed to a reasonable extension, they definitely don't consider trading Clarke. Adding a high profile forward prospect like Östlund would also be beneficial for them Kings. He could be swapped out for Savoie, Rosen, Wahlberg or Kulich. Not totally sure how each are valued and I'm sure the trade could be adjusted to compromise. The retention on Byram is just the cherry on top.
Buffalo finally gets a high end, high ceiling RHD to go with their young core. They give up alot to get him but players like him don't come available except in exceptional circumstances (ie. Drysdale - Gauthier swap). I tried to create an exceptional circumstance for LA to consider moving him. Obviously it's easy to say they just keep Clarke and be done with it and that's the likely scenario but since this is to be geared towards discussion and to see if it could work for all teams involved.
Trades
BUF
  1. Byram, Bowen
  2. Johansen, Ryan
Additional Details:
Johansen added for cap purposes for next season and for a little extra value for Colorado. He can fill 3C in Buffalo and help them with face-offs. Maybe next season they can retain on him and get a return at the deadline.
BUF
  1. Clarke, Brandt
  2. Englund, Andreas
Additional Details:
Englund added for cap purposes and to replace Byram in Colorado.
LAK
  1. Byram, Bowen ($1,925,000 retained)
  2. Östlund, Noah
Additional Details:
Östlund could be swapped with any of Buffalo's high profile forwards.
Buffalo also retains on Byram for this season and next.
BUF
COL
  1. Englund, Andreas
Additional Details:
Englund to Colorado to replace Byram and help provide size and physicality.
BUF
ANA
  1. Johnson, Erik
  2. Olofsson, Victor
  3. Robinson, Eric
Additional Details:
Trade Deadline Fodder
Retained Salary Transactions
Buried
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the BUF
Logo of the BUF
Logo of the BUF
Logo of the BUF
Logo of the BUF
Logo of the BUF
Logo of the BUF
Logo of the BUF
Logo of the BUF
Logo of the BUF
Logo of the MIN
Logo of the BUF
Logo of the BUF
Logo of the BUF
Logo of the NSH
Logo of the BUF
Logo of the BUF
Logo of the BUF
Logo of the BUF
Logo of the BUF
Logo of the BUF
Logo of the BUF
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
22$83,500,000$69,811,903$0$5,145,000$13,688,097
Left WingCentreRight Wing
Logo of the Buffalo Sabres
$9,000,000$9,000,000
LW, RW
NMC
UFA - 4
$7,142,857$7,142,857
C
UFA - 7
$4,750,000$4,750,000
RW, LW
M-NTC
UFA - 3
$950,000$950,000 (Performance Bonus$650,000$650K)
LW
RFA - 3
$7,100,000$7,100,000
C, LW
UFA - 7
$855,833$855,833 (Performance Bonus$32,500$32K)
LW, RW
RFA - 2
$3,000,000$3,000,000
LW, RW
UFA - 2
Logo of the Colorado Avalanche
$4,000,000$4,000,000
C, RW
UFA - 2
$863,333$863,333 (Performance Bonus$850,000$850K)
RW, LW
RFA - 2
$2,500,000$2,500,000
LW, C
UFA - 1
$863,333$863,333 (Performance Bonus$412,500$412K)
C, LW
RFA - 1
$2,500,000$2,500,000 (Performance Bonus$500,000$500K)
RW
UFA - 1
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$6,000,000$6,000,000
LD/RD
UFA - 1
$2,500,000$2,500,000
RD
RFA - 1
$837,500$837,500
G
RFA - 1
$916,667$916,667 (Performance Bonus$1,850,000$2M)
LD/RD
UFA - 1
$3,333,333$3,333,333
RD
UFA - 3
$1,800,000$1,800,000
G
UFA - 1
$4,285,714$4,285,714
LD
UFA - 7
Logo of the Los Angeles Kings
$863,333$863,333 (Performance Bonus$850,000$850K)
RD
RFA - 3
ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
$925,000$925,000
LD
RFA - 2
$1,850,000$1,850,000
LD/RD
RFA - 1

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Feb. 17 at 12:00 a.m.
Dekesaladekes
I don’t think LA considers, Clarke is their doughty replacement and they probably loose Roy in UFA so that would kill their RHD depth
OldNYIfan and gretzkyghosts liked this.
Feb. 17 at 12:00 a.m.
Oh God, not again. Avs can't afford Mitts. End of. Regardless whether Buffalo are or aren't trading him, whatever rumour you listen to.
Feb. 17 at 12:11 a.m.
Quoting: Dekes
I don’t think LA considers, Clarke is their doughty replacement and they probably loose Roy in UFA so that would kill their RHD depth

Read the description. I stated they extend Roy.
Feb. 17 at 12:13 a.m.
Quoting: TJTwolf
Oh God, not again. Avs can't afford Mitts. End of. Regardless whether Buffalo are or aren't trading him, whatever rumour you listen to.

Read the description. They can afford this if Landeskog doesn't return. If he does then it would be very tight and dependent on the actual extension. Might but another roster move needed to be made, who knows.
Feb. 17 at 12:19 a.m.
Quoting: Lancebmx
Read the description. They can afford this if Landeskog doesn't return. If he does then it would be very tight and dependent on the actual extension. Might but another roster move needed to be made, who knows.

I read it thanks but in all reality it's a) not going to happen, b) they (Avs) can't plan on Landy not returning, c) Buffalo likely have no interest in trading Mitts, d) the return isn't a piece Buffalo need, e) banking on flipping Byram for one they do need is a huge gamble, f) the Avs likely still couldn't afford Mitts and g) the Avs can't afford Mitts.
Feb. 17 at 12:43 a.m.
Shibbal18
I doubt LA chooses Roy over Clarke. Buffalo would trade Mitts for immediate help. Colorado though has to jump through hoops to make it work
mokumboi and OldNYIfan liked this.
Feb. 17 at 12:57 a.m.
Roy and Clarke aren't competing for roster spots. Clarke and Spence are competing for a roster spot next season. It's very likely that Spence will be the defenseman moved, not Clarke.

Spence and Clarke are both very good offensive-minded defenseman, but neither are defensive stalwarts. Having two of them on the right side will take offensive minutes away from Doughty (since he'll be the only RHD available to take tough defensive minutes and play on the PK) and leave the right side defensively weakened for over half the game.

Unless Clarke has a setback this season (unlikely), Spence will be traded and the RHD for the Kings next season will be Doughty, Clarke, and Roy.
KINGS67 liked this.
Feb. 17 at 12:59 a.m.
mokumboi
I think Ostlund is too good a second piece to LA. Maybe that;s just me.
gretzkyghosts liked this.
Feb. 17 at 1:08 a.m.
Quoting: TJTwolf
I read it thanks but in all reality it's a) not going to happen, b) they (Avs) can't plan on Landy not returning, c) Buffalo likely have no interest in trading Mitts, d) the return isn't a piece Buffalo need, e) banking on flipping Byram for one they do need is a huge gamble, f) the Avs likely still couldn't afford Mitts and g) the Avs can't afford Mitts.

Sorry Lance, but TjWolf is correct with everything he said
Plus, just bc Clarke is a righty doesn’t mean he’s the type of defenseman we need or are looking for
We need a “shut down” type, not an offensive minded guy

It really just doesn’t work
TJTwolf, NMAvsFan and gretzkyghosts liked this.
Feb. 17 at 4:55 a.m.
LA is kinda really winning this 3 way kinda a lot.
mokumboi liked this.
Feb. 17 at 10:35 a.m.
Representing the 505

No, they can't even if Landy never plays again because then they have to replace Landy and Byram. The Avs trading for a guy that is already getting paid or needs to be paid starting next season isn't going to work no matter the scenario because they can't afford to lose the players they'd be trading to get that guy and they can't afford to pay the player they get. It just does not work.
TJTwolf liked this.
Feb. 17 at 12:05 p.m.
Once a Kings Fan Too
Los Angeles wouldn't consider trading Brandt Clarke even with additions (not seen or discussed here).

Quoting: Xqb15a
LA is kinda really winning this 3 way kinda a lot.

A rare mis-step by you, in my opinion.
Feb. 17 at 12:07 p.m.
Quoting: OldNYIfan
Los Angeles wouldn't consider trading Brandt Clarke even with additions (not seen or discussed here).

Yeah that's my first thought. Just trying my best to make interesting proposals where the value and need somewhat work, even if it's not the best.
OldNYIfan liked this.
Feb. 17 at 12:10 p.m.
Quoting: OldNYIfan

Byram at half price and top pairing playing time is what you hope Clarke turns into. He’s proven he can be a beast in the playoffs and the Kings get another prospect on top of that. I disagree but I respect your opinion.
mokumboi liked this.
Feb. 17 at 12:19 p.m.

i think this is fine in the offseason if Landy is unable to return. the issue is the Avs may not even know until the beginning of NEXT season. so it's hard to envision - it would basically HAVE be a beginning of season 2024 trade, and the Avs will need to have figured out their center problems before then.

The avs' cap situation is...not ideal until they know for sure if Landy is back or not.

Also - they need to move someone regardless next season. they are tight on cap. they need a $4mil 2c and Midds will be more than that.
TJTwolf liked this.
Feb. 17 at 12:25 p.m.
Quoting: swissmontana
i think this is fine in the offseason if Landy is unable to return. the issue is the Avs may not even know until the beginning of NEXT season. so it's hard to envision - it would basically HAVE be a beginning of season 2024 trade, and the Avs will need to have figured out their center problems before then.

The avs' cap situation is...not ideal until they know for sure if Landy is back or not.

Also - they need to move someone regardless next season. they are tight on cap. they need a $4mil 2c and Midds will be more than that.

On the cap, I did next season for the Avs and with Landy out they have over 9M with Johansen gone and Mitts signed to 7. But I agree it's a tight situation and likely never works.
Feb. 17 at 12:27 p.m.
On the cap, I did next season for the Avs and with Landy out they have over 9M with Johansen gone and Mitts signed to 7. But I agree it's a tight situation and likely never works.

you are counting on landeskog being definitely out. we are not. i dont know how to explain this any better.
TJTwolf and gretzkyghosts liked this.
Feb. 17 at 12:33 p.m.
you are counting on landeskog being definitely out. we are not. i dont know how to explain this any better.

Oh for sure. Basically stated that in the description. There was a lot of things that needed to happen. More or less I was tired of the same old boring agms and wanted to do something a bit different.
Feb. 17 at 1:09 p.m.
Oh for sure. Basically stated that in the description. There was a lot of things that needed to happen. More or less I was tired of the same old boring agms and wanted to do something a bit different.

sorry for the shortness, but this is not new to COL or BUF fans. we've seen a half dozen iterations of this trade a day for the past month.
TJTwolf liked this.
Feb. 17 at 2:30 p.m.
sorry for the shortness, but this is not new to COL or BUF fans. we've seen a half dozen iterations of this trade a day for the past month.

I get that, tried to switch it up cause a Mitts trade has been on my mind for awhile now.
Feb. 17 at 8:50 p.m.
mokumboi
Byram at half price and top pairing playing time is what you hope Clarke turns into. He’s proven he can be a beast in the playoffs and the Kings get another prospect on top of that. I disagree but I respect your opinion.

And a very good prospect, too. Not just some guy.
Xqb15a and gretzkyghosts liked this.
Feb. 17 at 8:53 p.m.
Quoting: mokumboi
And a very good prospect, too. Not just some guy.

Byram on just about any other team is playing top pairing and very possibly a #1 and he’s only a year older than Clarke.
Feb. 17 at 9:23 p.m.
mokumboi
Byram on just about any other team is playing top pairing and very possibly a #1 and he’s only a year older than Clarke.

I was talking about Ostlund.
Xqb15a and gretzkyghosts liked this.
Feb. 18 at 8:37 a.m.
Quoting: tkecanuck341
Roy and Clarke aren't competing for roster spots. Clarke and Spence are competing for a roster spot next season. It's very likely that Spence will be the defenseman moved, not Clarke.

Spence and Clarke are both very good offensive-minded defenseman, but neither are defensive stalwarts. Having two of them on the right side will take offensive minutes away from Doughty (since he'll be the only RHD available to take tough defensive minutes and play on the PK) and leave the right side defensively weakened for over half the game.

Unless Clarke has a setback this season (unlikely), Spence will be traded and the RHD for the Kings next season will be Doughty, Clarke, and Roy.

I dont think LA has any chance at all at affording Roy's extension without some serious roster changes. Roy is probably going to get 6M+ on the market and you have to pay Byfield, who is probably going to eat the entirety of Arvidsson's and Kopitar's cap relief. Not to mention solving the goalie problem on top of that
mokumboi and gretzkyghosts liked this.
Feb. 18 at 2:28 p.m.
Quoting: Ledge_And_Dairy
I dont think LA has any chance at all at affording Roy's extension without some serious roster changes. Roy is probably going to get 6M+ on the market and you have to pay Byfield, who is probably going to eat the entirety of Arvidsson's and Kopitar's cap relief. Not to mention solving the goalie problem on top of that

I did a ACGM a few days ago with Roy and Byfield both getting their AFP Analytics projections with a 20 man roster with over $1.55M to spare to spend on two extra league minimum skaters or extra money to pay extensions.

It's very doable.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll