SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/NHL

2023-2024 NHL Discussion Thread #4: Deadline is Approaching

Mar. 9 at 3:08 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Quoting: CantStopWontStop
I don’t mind the leafs deadline.

It’s like drafting goalies or getting socks for Christmas.

Dewar should be a nice skater for them benefiting multiple years, Edmundson’s brand is stable and well established. They kept their first, which maybe is the best strategy of all of them unless you’re adding term.

Yall got 8 years of great hockey players. I think it’s okay to have a pace of pulling assets forward that isn’t reckless. You can still pull forward, just 75% or so, wait for outstanding deals to pull 100%.

It’s not an awful deadline. Is meh.

Leafs basically went out and got 2 guys who are made for playoff hockey and a 4th liner to help them kill penalties. There's also that 6'7 prospect but he aint playing this year with them (Marlies maybe)

They didnt spend a lot of important assets and came out bigger, meaner, so lets see. Basically all their picks are hated analytically but when you look at what they have done (especially Edmunson) its like hmmmm

As you dont always need the big flashy toy to improve as in the end it comes down to the big boyz
CantStopWontStop liked this.
Mar. 9 at 3:09 p.m.
Respect Mike Grier
Quoting: aadoyle
Yea there be issues with this list.

Based on your preference PHI should also be in the loser category with Leafs and Rangers

But everyone titled to an opinion

How? The Flyers are at a complete different stage of those teams?

We aren't a contender, We're a team that's overperforming because of a coach that preaches hard work and dedication.

Selling High on Walker got us a first round pick, and we avoided the diasaster of his next contract ask, after that we added low cost additions like a EJ and Gurianov to reward the tean for their play and not take ourselves out of the playoffs.

The Flyers have been very clear, that any success they have is just a bonus, the goal is still rebuild and put the best out there for Michkov. And by selling off Walker they're backing it up.

Toronto and New York have Legit Stars and Super Stars. They should be going balls to the wall every year in order to win a championship.

Not being agressive to get good players to help Matthews, Marner, Nylander/Fox, Shesterkin, Panarin is why they'll be bounced early. Cause other teams got better, they didn't, and the prime years of their star talents careers continue to be wasted.

Leafs and rags left a lot to be desired and wasted assets on mid players just for the sake of saying they "tried". Go big or go home, and they decided they want to go home, When it's time to go big.
Mar. 9 at 3:13 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Edited Mar. 9 at 3:22 p.m.
Quoting: ARMCHAIRGMOFTHEYEAR
How? The Flyers are at a complete different stage of those teams?

We aren't a contender, We're a team that's overperforming because of a coach that preaches hard work and dedication.

Selling High on Walker got us a first round pick, and we avoided the diasaster of his next contract ask, after that we added low cost additions like a EJ and Gurianov to reward the tean for their play and not take ourselves out of the playoffs.

The Flyers have been very clear, that any success they have is just a bonus, the goal is still rebuild and put the best out there for Michkov. And by selling off Walker they're backing it up.

Toronto and New York have Legit Stars and Super Stars. They should be going balls to the wall every year in order to win a championship.

Not being agressive to get good players to help Matthews, Marner, Nylander/Fox, Shesterkin, Panarin is why they'll be bounced early. Cause other teams got better, they didn't, and the prime years of their star talents careers continue to be wasted.

Leafs and rags left a lot to be desired and wasted assets on mid players just for the sake of saying they "tried". Go big or go home, and they decided they want to go home, When it's time to go big.

As said before if we went by your guidelines Flyers would not be TDL winners. They got a (probs late) 1st for walker at the cost of a 4m capdump whose got another year left. Thats not really selling high as they sacrificed to get a low 1st which is basically equivalent to a high 2nd anyways. Bought a 3.25m #7 Dman when they had so many many Dman already. And traded borderline for borderline player. That dont scream win

That like TOR, NYR and others screams middle of the ground. There's no need to always have roster turnover at the TDL nor go after the big flashy toy to win it all. Blues and VGK won cups with a single trade at the TDL (Barbashev and Zotto). Meanwhile last year BOS went all in and lost in 7 despite adding Orlov, Hathaway and Bertuzzi

I the end as mentioned earlier everyone entitled to an opinion even if when using the guidelines be incorrect
Mar. 9 at 3:19 p.m.
Bedard23
That Sabres-Oilers game had possibly the wildest ending to a game I’ve ever seen
NorthernLeafsFan05 liked this.
Mar. 9 at 3:21 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Quoting: IconicHawk
That Sabres-Oilers game had possibly the wildest ending to a game I’ve ever seen

What happened was it a zig zag shootout play put into question
Mar. 9 at 3:32 p.m.
Bedard23
What happened was it a zig zag shootout play put into question

So the Sabres initially won in OT with an Owen Power goal with 2 seconds left, everyone had gone to the dressing room, fans were about the leave the arena, but then the refs announced that there was an offside just before the goal, so that means they had to reset the clock and get the other teams out so they could finish the game properly, so the game went to a shootout and Buffalo won anyways, it was a giant cluster**** of a game
Mar. 9 at 3:38 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Quoting: IconicHawk
So the Sabres initially won in OT with an Owen Power goal with 2 seconds left, everyone had gone to the dressing room, fans were about the leave the arena, but then the refs announced that there was an offside just before the goal, so that means they had to reset the clock and get the other teams out so they could finish the game properly, so the game went to a shootout and Buffalo won anyways, it was a giant cluster**** of a game

So basically a delay to a win hmmm seen that a while ago forget the teams though think PIT was involved

I thought it was cause of a controversial SO move lul
Mar. 9 at 3:39 p.m.
More Finns More Wins
Pyotr Kochetkov before the Ottawa game where the Tkachuk penalty shot happened: 4-6-1, 0.872SV%, 3.12GAA

Since then: 13-4-2, 0.927 SV%, 2.03 GAA

He's hot and cold, but this heater has lasted 3 months at this point, and he's still eligible for the Calder.
Mar. 9 at 4:12 p.m.
Respect Mike Grier
As said before if we went by your guidelines Flyers would not be TDL winners. They got a (probs late) 1st for walker at the cost of a 4m capdump whose got another year left. Thats not really selling high as they sacrificed to get a low 1st which is basically equivalent to a high 2nd anyways. Bought a 3.25m #7 Dman when they had so many many Dman already. And traded borderline for borderline player. That dont scream win

That like TOR, NYR and others screams middle of the ground. There's no need to always have roster turnover at the TDL nor go after the big flashy toy to win it all. Blues and VGK won cups with a single trade at the TDL (Barbashev and Zotto). Meanwhile last year BOS went all in and lost in 7 despite adding Orlov, Hathaway and Bertuzzi

I the end as mentioned earlier everyone entitled to an opinion even if when using the guidelines be incorrect

I guess i'm just kinda confused on what you think my guidlines are? I'd expect a team with stars to go out and help their stars before there stars are 35 and cupless. Probably because I watched Hextall waste the primes of Giroux and Voracek's careers.

I'd expect a team without stars, and has overperformed all year (Flyers), too trade guys who aren't gonna be important in 3 years, having a career year, and are valued higher than they've ever been before.

1. Walkers aggregate value was likely around a mid 2nd in this deal. Before the year he was a throw in a trade likely neutral valued by the GM's. They took back Johanson for purpose of making Colorado willing to part with a first. (which is smart) 2nd>nothing

2. They then bought cheap players Gurianov and EJ, because the team is overperforming and deserves some sort of help for a playoff push especially with injuries on backend to Seeler/Drysdale/Risto. It wouldn't make sense if they splurged big assets on a Guentzel or a Hertl, they aren't ready for that. They don't have the star talent Carolina, Vegas, Leafs, Or Rags have.

Not to say who they acquired is great, however they spent a 4th + a guy who couldn't make the team out of camp for players that provide more value to them then what they sent out.

3. With the 1st acquired, and not committing a lot of cap space to player long term, they're now in a lot better position to add a young core player via the draft or trade -- someone who could make an impact during the Michkov era.
J2W liked this.
Mar. 9 at 4:19 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Quoting: Hurricanes_WPG
Pyotr Kochetkov before the Ottawa game where the Tkachuk penalty shot happened: 4-6-1, 0.872SV%, 3.12GAA

Since then: 13-4-2, 0.927 SV%, 2.03 GAA

He's hot and cold, but this heater has lasted 3 months at this point, and he's still eligible for the Calder.

This is the guy who I suspect starts game 1. They really need that A game from him as going out and breaking there norm for a rental be a surprise

As man hes an odd goalie sometimes. But then again there is the expression Goalies be silly geese

Look at Samsonov

Was bad then goes down a week in the AHL does not play a game comes back up and basically its his net now
Mar. 9 at 4:33 p.m.
JimmyPaek
This Big City Greens thing is better than the game. My kid thinks it’s hilarious.
capsfan2121 liked this.
Mar. 9 at 7:42 p.m.
Tintin over 1122
This team is goated
Mar. 9 at 7:59 p.m.
What the hell is going on with Philly tonight lol
Mar. 9 at 9:11 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Torts gets kicked out

Torts: I AINT GOING ANYWHERE **** YOU
Mar. 9 at 9:41 p.m.
EklundCelebriniSmith
There is something deeply wrong with Senators...
Mar. 9 at 9:58 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
I take trade rumours with a pinch of salt but if the NYR actually rejected Kakko and a 1st for Henrique (50% ret) + Vatrano thats a bruh moment
edeangel84 liked this.
Mar. 9 at 10:10 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
How big of a fine is Torts gonna get Monday

As I dont think they gonna give him the standard one
Mar. 9 at 10:57 p.m.
More Finns More Wins
This is the guy who I suspect starts game 1. They really need that A game from him as going out and breaking there norm for a rental be a surprise

As man hes an odd goalie sometimes. But then again there is the expression Goalies be silly geese

Look at Samsonov

Was bad then goes down a week in the AHL does not play a game comes back up and basically its his net now

Absolutely, I could see them deferring to the veteran Freddie, but I 100% want Kochetkov starting in the playoffs.
Mar. 9 at 11:03 p.m.
Amirov Forever
How big of a fine is Torts gonna get Monday

As I dont think they gonna give him the standard one

Not sure but I absolutely love what he did tonight
Mar. 9 at 11:17 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Quoting: NorthernLeafsFan05

Yea but man its gonna be a 50k fine or something at least
Mar. 9 at 11:54 p.m.
Flyers: we did it guys. We kept Kucherov to one point. Nice work everyone.
Mar. 10 at 4:42 a.m.
Quoting: NorthernLeafsFan05

He deserves to get ejected and fined for deliberately going with 5 d and pairing old men Staal & Johnson together. squinty smile

And Sannheim went down in a heap in the 2nd so don't know if they had to go with 4 D for the rest of the game.
Mar. 10 at 9:34 a.m.
Fun tidbit:

The entire blues goalie depth chart is now internal draft selections.

Binner, Hofer, Zherenko, Ellis.

Since our 1a has very rarely been homegrown, Jake Allen the exception, but he had Brian Elliott, this is probably a first for us.
Mar. 10 at 9:47 a.m.
Quoting: CantStopWontStop
Fun tidbit:

The entire blues goalie depth chart is now internal draft selections.

Binner, Hofer, Zherenko, Ellis.

Since our 1a has very rarely been homegrown, Jake Allen the exception, but he had Brian Elliott, this is probably a first for us.

Honestly do not think that the Avalanche have ever had more than 1 homegrown goalie in their "top 4" since they've moved to Colorado; and almost never the #1. David Aebischer for 1 1/2 years, Peter Budaj for 1 season, Calvin Pickard for 1 season (the worst in our history) is all I can find after quick review.

If Annunen sticks and eventually supplants Georgiev as a multi-year starter/1A it would be a first.
CantStopWontStop liked this.
Mar. 10 at 10:56 a.m.
Bedard23
Chicago’s eliminated from postseason contention, surprised we even survived past the deadline

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll