SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/Armchair-GM

A Norris Trade Without Any Salary Dumps

Team: 2023-24 Carolina Hurricanes
Initial Creation Date: Feb. 21, 2024
Published: Feb. 21, 2024
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
With the $6.6M in deadline space, a Norris trade can be legally completed without removing any players off of the roster outside of Drury.
Trades
OTT
  1. Blake, Jackson [Reserve List]
  2. Drury, Jack
  3. Morrow, Scott [Reserve List]
  4. 2024 1st round pick (CAR)
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the CAR
Logo of the PHI
Logo of the CAR
Logo of the CAR
Logo of the CAR
Logo of the CAR
Logo of the CAR
Logo of the CAR
Logo of the CAR
Logo of the CAR
Logo of the CAR
Logo of the CAR
Logo of the CAR
Logo of the CAR
Logo of the CAR
Logo of the CAR
Logo of the CAR
Logo of the CAR
Logo of the CAR
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
24$83,500,000$89,591,917$450,000$500,000-$6,091,917
Left WingCentreRight Wing
Logo of the Carolina Hurricanes
$7,750,000$7,750,000
LW, RW
UFA - 6
$8,460,250$8,460,250
C
UFA - 1
$5,400,000$5,400,000
LW, RW
M-NTC
UFA - 1
$4,500,000$4,500,000
LW
M-NTC
UFA - 3
Logo of the Ottawa Senators
$7,950,000$7,950,000
C
UFA - 7
$3,000,000$3,000,000
RW
RFA - 1
$1,800,000$1,800,000
LW, RW
UFA - 1
$2,900,000$2,900,000
C, LW
NMC
UFA - 4
$894,167$894,167 (Performance Bonus$500,000$500K)
RW
RFA - 1
$762,500$762,500
LW, RW
UFA - 1
$4,820,000$4,820,000
C
UFA - 7
$2,400,000$2,400,000
RW
NTC
UFA - 2
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$5,300,000$5,300,000
LD
M-NTC
UFA - 2
$5,280,000$5,280,000
RD
M-NTC
UFA - 2
$3,400,000$3,400,000
G
M-NTC
UFA - 2
$7,750,000$7,750,000
LD
UFA - 2
$4,025,000$4,025,000
RD
M-NTC
UFA - 1
$2,000,000$2,000,000
G
UFA - 4
$5,250,000$5,250,000
LD
M-NTC
UFA - 1
$762,500$762,500
RD
UFA - 1
$1,500,000$1,500,000
G
UFA - 1
ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
$800,000$800,000
LW, RW
UFA - 1
$1,675,000$1,675,000
RD
UFA - 1
$762,500$762,500
G
UFA - 1

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Feb. 21 at 3:31 p.m.
Timmy Superstar
Interesting
Feb. 21 at 3:32 p.m.
Stovetop
If Ottawa sees Pinto as a true Future 2C then I think they'd definitely do this. Especially with potentially getting a top 3 pick this year.
Feb. 21 at 3:42 p.m.
I wouldn't do this for Norris. He's made of glass. If we're going to take a run at an Ottawa center, may as well pony up and try to land Stutzle. Norris has played 56 games after signing his new contract and he has a collective 29 points. WAY better ways to spend that money. Take a run at Pinto since he'll be cheaper, take a run at Stutzle for starpower. Norris kind of sits in that unhappy median where he's not good enough to be worth his contract right now, he's always hurt, and his production is struggling.
Feb. 21 at 3:44 p.m.
I wouldn’t do that. Far too much going to Sens when the canes are taking all the risk.
Feb. 21 at 3:46 p.m.
Does what's his face hear Waddell laughing hysterically before hanging up Less than Zero chance Carolina adds Morrow
Feb. 21 at 3:48 p.m.
I’d do this! I think Greig/Pinto fit perfectly as a good 2C/3C punch down the middle making Norris expendable. Love getting Morrow back as well (although I’m not sure canes would do it)
Feb. 21 at 4:04 p.m.
Coghlan would make sense for Ottawa imo. Seems buried in Carolina, idk what Canes think
Feb. 21 at 4:04 p.m.
Ugh... I hate trading for American players who are in NCAA because of the stupid loophole they have. I would hesitate to put more than 50% of their value into a trade until they sign.
Feb. 21 at 4:11 p.m.
Quoting: Caniac2000
I wouldn't do this for Norris. He's made of glass. If we're going to take a run at an Ottawa center, may as well pony up and try to land Stutzle. Take a run at Pinto since he'll be cheaper, take a run at Stutzle for starpower.

Norris had one injury. Attempted to rehab it without surgery, then re-injured it.

For whatever reason, the Sens haven't run the powerplay that Norris scored all those goals from all year. If you set him up in a mirror image of Washington's PP in the flipped Ovi spot, he'll get a pile of PP goals.

As far as Ottawa's other C's:
1. Pinto won't be cheaper to aquire. Should be more than Norris, actually.
2. I don't think Carolina actually has the assets to make a run at Stutzle.
Xspyrit liked this.
Feb. 21 at 4:19 p.m.
Quoting: BsInOttawa
Norris had one injury. Attempted to rehab it without surgery, then re-injured it.

For whatever reason, the Sens haven't run the powerplay that Norris scored all those goals from all year. If you set him up in a mirror image of Washington's PP in the flipped Ovi spot, he'll get a pile of PP goals.

As far as Ottawa's other C's:
1. Pinto won't be cheaper to aquire. Should be more than Norris, actually.
2. I don't think Carolina actually has the assets to make a run at Stutzle.

Carolina has the assets to run at Stutzle, but it would have to involve Nikishin which is where I think Waddell draws the line. Carolina's prospect pool is notoriously deep, so it would take the few higher end kids to get it done. That's Blake, Nadeau, Morrow on top of Niki.

Pinto just missed half the season due to a dumb suspension. A players best ability is always availability. He didn't have that. I don't think you can say he's got more value than Norris, especially when you consider their career highs.

As for Norris, I know deployment is an issue, but if that was the only problem, his p/60 would be better. He's struggling himself. He's played 56 games out of something like 130 available on that deal, and is at half a point per game. Good production, no doubt, but not for 8 million a year. I'd suggest right now he's closer to net neutral in value than this.
Feb. 21 at 4:50 p.m.
Two of our top prospects + an established roster player + 1st seems like quite a heft price for Norris
Feb. 21 at 4:58 p.m.
sensonfire
Ottawa accepts.
Feb. 21 at 6:28 p.m.
IF OTT did not have a clear major need they might think about accept this, but nothing here helps them now with what they need.

OTT should pass for the reason BsInOttawa stated
Feb. 21 at 6:47 p.m.
I wouldn't do this for Norris. He's made of glass. If we're going to take a run at an Ottawa center, may as well pony up and try to land Stutzle. Norris has played 56 games after signing his new contract and he has a collective 29 points. WAY better ways to spend that money. Take a run at Pinto since he'll be cheaper, take a run at Stutzle for starpower. Norris kind of sits in that unhappy median where he's not good enough to be worth his contract right now, he's always hurt, and his production is struggling.

He isn't made of glass, he had shoulder injuries that seems to be behind him now. He's fighting to rebuild his whole game which he has progressively done. Good candidate for a bounce back next season

It's like saying that Svetchnikov is made of glass and that it kills his value

That being said, I doubt the Canes would want to make that very risky trade.

Forget Stutzle

Carolina has the assets to run at Stutzle, but it would have to involve Nikishin which is where I think Waddell draws the line. Carolina's prospect pool is notoriously deep, so it would take the few higher end kids to get it done. That's Blake, Nadeau, Morrow on top of Niki.

Pinto just missed half the season due to a dumb suspension. A players best ability is always availability. He didn't have that. I don't think you can say he's got more value than Norris, especially when you consider their career highs.

Nikishin wouldn't be a target for Ottawa. They already have one of Chabot or Chychrun that they'll end up trading and Brannstrom to make a roster spot for Kleven

Stutzle just turned 22 y/o and had 90 pts last season, he's not for trade and even less for futures.

Yes Pinto has more value than Norris right now, Sens want to build around him too.
Feb. 21 at 6:52 p.m.
Quoting: Xspyrit
He isn't made of glass, he had shoulder injuries that seems to be behind him now. He's fighting to rebuild his whole game which he has progressively done. Good candidate for a bounce back next season

It's like saying that Svetchnikov is made of glass and that it kills his value

Forget Stutzle

Nikishin wouldn't be a target for Ottawa. They already have one of Chabot or Chychrun that they'll end up trading and Brannstrom to make a roster spot for Kleven

Stutzle just turned 22 y/o and had 90 pts last season, he's not for trade and even less for futures.

Yes Pinto has more value than Norris right now, Sens want to build around him too.

Nikishin's going to be better than Chabot, Chychrun and Kleven... he's breaking KHL record books. There's a genuine case to say he'd be in the Norris conversation if he was in the NHL already. He's going to be an absolute star. Forget what you have, that's why teams always want him. Carolina's INCREDIBLY unlikely to move him. That's like me saying the Canes wouldn't want Tkachuk because they have Jarvis, Svechnikov and Necas. You can never have too much of a good thing, especially young prospects.

Pinto doesn't have more value than Norris to teams outside of Ottawa. Norris has proven he can hit the 70 point plateau, and the issue with him is injuries. If he puts those behind him, he'll be fine. Pinto's career high in points is 35, and he's got 9 so far this season. He's been good in the 9 games he's played, but the fact he's ONLY played 9 games is a major concern. Especially because it was self inflicted.

Stutzle is the only center from the Senators that makes sense for me. It would take the Canes almost everything they have, which is risky with how streaky he is, but he's the only one worth the interest. Not wanting to trade Stutzle is one thing, but to say the Canes don't have the assets to do it is just outright incorrect.
Feb. 21 at 8:17 p.m.
Nikishin's going to be better than Chabot, Chychrun and Kleven... he's breaking KHL record books. There's a genuine case to say he'd be in the Norris conversation if he was in the NHL already. He's going to be an absolute star. Forget what you have, that's why teams always want him. Carolina's INCREDIBLY unlikely to move him. That's like me saying the Canes wouldn't want Tkachuk because they have Jarvis, Svechnikov and Necas. You can never have too much of a good thing, especially young prospects.

Pinto doesn't have more value than Norris to teams outside of Ottawa. Norris has proven he can hit the 70 point plateau, and the issue with him is injuries. If he puts those behind him, he'll be fine. Pinto's career high in points is 35, and he's got 9 so far this season. He's been good in the 9 games he's played, but the fact he's ONLY played 9 games is a major concern. Especially because it was self inflicted.

Stutzle is the only center from the Senators that makes sense for me. It would take the Canes almost everything they have, which is risky with how streaky he is, but he's the only one worth the interest. Not wanting to trade Stutzle is one thing, but to say the Canes don't have the assets to do it is just outright incorrect.

People were really excited about Yakupov too. And who knows if Nikishin's even going to be able to come to North America. You're right, Sens shouldn't say no to a LD prospect - but there's no reason they should trade Stutzle for him.

I'm looking for a center who's scored at least 30 goals and 90 points, is under 25 and is under contract for at least 6 years for less than $9M if I'm trading Stutzle.
Feb. 21 at 8:23 p.m.
People were really excited about Yakupov too. And who knows if Nikishin's even going to be able to come to North America. You're right, Sens shouldn't say no to a LD prospect - but there's no reason they should trade Stutzle for him.

I'm looking for a center who's scored at least 30 goals and 90 points, is under 25 and is under contract for at least 6 years for less than $9M if I'm trading Stutzle.

So what are you going to add to Stutzle to increase his value to be worth that? That's the problem, Stutzle's fine, but his defensive game needs work. He's a known diver. He's not going to command the same sort of value as say, an Elias Pettersson, which is exactly who you're describing.
Feb. 21 at 8:37 p.m.
So what are you going to add to Stutzle to increase his value to be worth that? That's the problem, Stutzle's fine, but his defensive game needs work. He's a known diver. He's not going to command the same sort of value as say, an Elias Pettersson, which is exactly who you're describing.

Stutzle IS that - he's scored 39 goals and 90 points, is 22 and in the first year of an 8 year deal for $8.3M.
Feb. 21 at 9:09 p.m.
Stutzle IS that - he's scored 39 goals and 90 points, is 22 and in the first year of an 8 year deal for $8.3M.

Stutzle is under a PPG this year, and on pace for about 25 goals and 80 points. He's not that at all lol. I know what he did last year, but looking at his career as a whole, that is the anomaly. He's not EP40, like you'd want for him lmao
Feb. 27 at 4:41 p.m.
Edited Feb. 27 at 4:48 p.m.

Reality is we don't know how good Nikishin is going to be at the NHL. Yes, he's an exciting prospect but as of now Jake Sanderson is 21 y/o and a beast in the making. he's already better than Chabot who is 16th in PPG and 2nd in TOI/GP among D-men since 2018-19 when he was 21 y/o. Nikishin will be 23 y/o next season and despite being a top prospect, has a lot to prove but yes, Canes shouldn't look to trade him.

Pinto's career high is 35 because he only played one season. If you poll Sens fans, they want Pinto more than Norris. It's very unlikely that Pinto will get suspended again, he will obviously be very careful about anything he does so it doesn't happen again. The guy is extremely valuable despite all the lowball offers on CF

Stutzle turned 22 y/on a month ago. He had 90 pts last season and started that season as a 20 y/o... Only HOFers or future HOFers did that (90 pts in an u21 season) in the last 30 years.

I think you need to dig into advanced stats to understand Stutzle's progression. It's been hard for him this season with the DJ context but still very young and on his way to stardom.

https://twitter.com/JFreshHockey/status/1517267338705395719

https://twitter.com/NathanGraviteh/status/1633178399035334656

He is simply untouchable. Of course if you do something around Aho, something could be done but Sens have no interest trading Stutzle for an older guy as they want the longest window as possible (since they already wasted 2 seasons with DJ Dorion)

Now saying "he's the only one worth the interest", you clearly have no idea who Josh Norris, Shane Pinto and Ridly Greig are if you think the Canes current centers are any better

Stutzle is under a PPG this year, and on pace for about 25 goals and 80 points. He's not that at all lol. I know what he did last year, but looking at his career as a whole, that is the anomaly. He's not EP40, like you'd want for him lmao

Damn, posts like this are so short sighted it's crazy. Frankly, it's even stupid. The anomaly? Seriously?

He was on his ELC last season, 20 y/o, 39 goals 90 pts... just because he's not pacing as well this season doesn't mean he won't in the future, or even surpass it, he is still going to be 22 y/o next season lol. You were probably among people thinking that MacKinnon "wasn't all that" because of his stats during his first 4 seasons.
Feb. 27 at 4:53 p.m.
Reality is we don't know how good Nikishin is going to be at the NHL. Yes, he's an exciting prospect but as of now Jake Sanderson is 21 y/o and a beast in the making. he's already better than Chabot who is 16th in PPG and 2nd in TOI/GP among D-men since 2018-19 when he was 21 y/o. Nikishin will be 23 y/o next season and despite being a top prospect, has a lot to prove but yes, Canes shouldn't look to trade him.

Pinto's career high is 35 because he only played one season. If you poll Sens fans, they want Pinto more than Norris. It's very unlikely that Pinto will get suspended again, he will obviously be very careful about anything he does so it doesn't happen again. The guy is extremely valuable despite all the lowball offers on CF

Stutzle turned 22 y/on a month ago. He had 90 pts last season and started that season as a 20 y/o... Only HOFers or future HOFers did that (90 pts in an u21 season) in the last 30 years.

I think you need to dig into advanced stats to understand Stutzle's progression. It's been hard for him this season with the DJ context but still very young and on his way to stardom.

He is simply untouchable. Of course if you do something around Aho, something could be done but Sens have no interest trading Stutzle for an older guy as they want the longest window as possible (since they already wasted 2 seasons with DJ Dorion)

Now saying "he's the only one worth the interest", you clearly have no idea who Josh Norris, Shane Pinto and Ridly Greig are if you think the Canes current centers are any better

Damn, posts like this are so short sighted it's crazy. Frankly, it's even stupid. The anomaly? Seriously?

He was on his ELC last season, 20 y/o, 39 goals 90 pts... just because he's not pacing as well this season doesn't mean he won't in the future, or even surpass it, he is still going to be 22 y/o next season lol. You were probably among people thinking that MacKinnon "wasn't all that" because of his stats during his first 4 seasons.

Lol okay buddy, I get it's been a tough season for you so you hit the substances early
Mar. 4 at 7:08 p.m.
Lol okay buddy, I get it's been a tough season for you so you hit the substances early

The usual answer from a teenager who doesn't know how to handle facts
Mar. 4 at 9:53 p.m.
Moosetache
unfortunately I think Norris will be lucky to complete his hockey career due to his shoulder injuries.
Mar. 5 at 2:15 a.m.
The usual answer from a teenager who doesn't know how to handle facts

Lmao, what? What fatcs? All you spouted was a pile of BS
Mar. 5 at 5:11 p.m.
Lmao, what? What fatcs? All you spouted was a pile of BS

- we don't know how good Nikishin is going to be at the NHL : isn't fact that players who haven't played in the NHL can't be quantified on how good they'll be (with maybe a few exceptions)

- he's an exciting prospect : not a fact?

- Jake Sanderson is 21 y/o : fact

- a beast in the making : not a fact but a popular opinion...

- Chabot who is 16th in PPG and 2nd in TOI/GP among D-men since 2018-19 when he was 21 y/o : facts

- Nikishin will be 23 y/o next season : fact

- Canes shouldn't look to trade him : ok not a fact but my opinion

- Pinto's career high is 35 because he only played one season : fact

- If you poll Sens fans, they want Pinto more than Norris : not a "fact" but I think I know what Sens fans think in general

- It's very unlikely that Pinto will get suspended again, he will obviously be very careful about anything he does so it doesn't happen again. The guy is extremely valuable despite all the lowball offers on CF : not a fact but logic, individual extremely like to become very careful about his actions

- Stutzle turned 22 y/on a month ago. He had 90 pts last season and started that season as a 20 y/o... Only HOFers or future HOFers did that (90 pts in an u21 season) in the last 30 years : facts

- I think you need to dig into advanced stats to understand Stutzle's progression. It's been hard for him this season with the DJ context but still very young and on his way to stardom.

: suggestion for you to look into facts

- He is simply untouchable. Of course if you do something around Aho, something could be done but Sens have no interest trading Stutzle for an older guy as they want the longest window as possible (since they already wasted 2 seasons with DJ Dorion) : ok not fact but what I think is best for Ottawa

- Now saying "he's the only one worth the interest", you clearly have no idea who Josh Norris, Shane Pinto and Ridly Greig are if you think the Canes current centers are any better : how would do counter this with facts?

- He was on his ELC last season, 20 y/o, 39 goals 90 pts... : facts

- just because he's not pacing as well this season doesn't mean he won't in the future, or even surpass it, he is still going to be 22 y/o next season lol. : fact

If this is a pile of BS you clearly have no self-critic

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll