SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/Toronto Maple Leafs

50Leafs 2023 2024 Season Discussion Part 5 - TDL additions (Go Big or Go Small)

Feb. 27 at 11:19 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Quoting: fangm
I don't think its an opinion formed from one game, its something most analysts have been pointing out since they moved him to C.

Just imagine replacing him with O'Reilly in our lineup. That team is instantly much better.

If we go with the Trade Bait board options would be:
- Henrique
- Laughton
- Frost

For guys who are solid defensively and can play in the top 9. I think Domi would fetch a decent return from a team like NYR who need a C as well to subsidize that cost.

Henrique is old and for a 1st **** no

Doubt PHI move from Frost a young C on a nice deal

And Laughton is

GGejTV_WcAA2CyI?format=jpg&name=large

Bad
RipNasty liked this.
Feb. 27 at 11:21 p.m.
Quoting: aadoyle
Henrique is old and for a 1st **** no

Doubt PHI move from Frost a young C on a nice deal

And Laughton is

GGejTV_WcAA2CyI?format=jpg&name=large

Bad

**** didn't realize how bad Laughton was lol. Yea Frost seems like the only upgrade. Not sure what is going on there. I know he's been a healthy scratch a few times this season and most analysts seem to think he will be traded. Idk, but it would be a nice pickup at the right price. I'd do our 1st for him. Then hopefully we could get a 2nd for Domi from NYR. Then flip that 2nd for a D. That would be a nice deadline.
Feb. 27 at 11:28 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Edited Feb. 27 at 11:40 p.m.
**** didn't realize how bad Laughton was lol. Yea Frost seems like the only upgrade. Not sure what is going on there. I know he's been a healthy scratch a few times this season and most analysts seem to think he will be traded. Idk, but it would be a nice pickup at the right price. I'd do our 1st for him. Then hopefully we could get a 2nd for Domi from NYR. Then flip that 2nd for a D. That would be a nice deadline.

We dont need to be moving the limited high value picks we got for forwards we dont need. No need for turnover keep the guys we have, buy some cheap depth forwards for 5th to 7th round picks and go spend the high pick on what we actually need a big nice RD partner for Rielly

As like last year we saw turnover can lead to problems

If the Leafs walk out with 1-2 nice depth forwards that they spent a 5th to 7th on and one of Adam Larsson or Rasmus Andersson thats a win
fangm liked this.
Feb. 28 at 12:03 a.m.
Amirov Forever
Let's say you're Brad Treliving and this offseason you receive a tip that the Canucks are trying to accommodate a trade for Elias Pettersson, who has expressed a lack of desire to remain in Vancouver. You see that Tavares is expiring soon and is only getting older, meaning this team will have a very large hole at 2C. If you were trying to swing a deal for Petey and trying to outcompete just about 31 other teams with interest, what kind of package would you put forward to acquire the superstar center?

I'd have to think the whole thing starts with Knies, Minten, as well as an NHL caliber player (Jarnkrok? We all know Allvin has an affinity for Swedish players). Obviously you'd have to add significantly more to this package as well. Personally, Im not trading Marner for Petey, Marner is the better player and should be untouchable. What else can we even muster up to stand a chance at landing Pettersson? How are we able to construct a roster around the first year of this hypothetical Pettersson contract (~12m)? I'd love to imagine a universe where Pettersson is a Leaf, but I just can't see it happening. Maybe you guys see it differently though, in which case I'd be curious to see the kind of trade you would table to land him.

Here's a roster I managed to put together with Niemela, Knies, Minten, and Jarnkrok going back the other way. Obviously that is a little less than what the Canucks would be getting back (additional draft capital among other things), but I just can't think of a legitimate offer that would work. I'd like to use Eichel as the comp. in this scenario, but Tkachuk is the better blueprint in which case we really don't have what it takes.

Screenshot_2024-02-28_000121.png?ex=65f13343&is=65debe43&hm=7afc9a66bac770841f3100e1c1e4904d98aceabcdd112ff19db47bbe638ac1a0&=&format=webp&quality=lossless&width=1130&height=807
oneX liked this.
Feb. 28 at 12:15 a.m.
Hakuna Matata
Edited Feb. 28 at 12:30 a.m.
Quoting: NorthernLeafsFan05
Let's say you're Brad Treliving and this offseason you receive a tip that the Canucks are trying to accommodate a trade for Elias Pettersson, who has expressed a lack of desire to remain in Vancouver. You see that Tavares is expiring soon and is only getting older, meaning this team will have a very large hole at 2C. If you were trying to swing a deal for Petey and trying to outcompete just about 31 other teams with interest, what kind of package would you put forward to acquire the superstar center?

I'd have to think the whole thing starts with Knies, Minten, as well as an NHL caliber player (Jarnkrok? We all know Allvin has an affinity for Swedish players). Obviously you'd have to add significantly more to this package as well. Personally, Im not trading Marner for Petey, Marner is the better player and should be untouchable. What else can we even muster up to stand a chance at landing Pettersson? How are we able to construct a roster around the first year of this hypothetical Pettersson contract (~12m)? I'd love to imagine a universe where Pettersson is a Leaf, but I just can't see it happening. Maybe you guys see it differently though, in which case I'd be curious to see the kind of trade you would table to land him.

Here's a roster I managed to put together with Niemela, Knies, Minten, and Jarnkrok going back the other way. Obviously that is a little less than what the Canucks would be getting back (additional draft capital among other things), but I just can't think of a legitimate offer that would work. I'd like to use Eichel as the comp. in this scenario, but Tkachuk is the better blueprint in which case we really don't have what it takes.

Screenshot_2024-02-28_000121.png?ex=65f13343&is=65debe43&hm=7afc9a66bac770841f3100e1c1e4904d98aceabcdd112ff19db47bbe638ac1a0&=&format=webp&quality=lossless&width=1130&height=807

grimace

Pretty much proves the point if u had to do this needs to be money in and out as this arguable is worse than this years team. We get a new flashy toy at the cost of good depth, backup goalie and a good Dcore

Get its for 1 year but still not advisable. Now if u send Willy the other way to still allow space to make deals there's no objection (basically like Huberdeau for Chucky) which is probs what Van will want anyways

This summer focus on the blue line and try to maybe add a forward. Next summer go for forwards
Saskleaf liked this.
Feb. 28 at 12:21 a.m.

That deal starts with Marner or Nylander. Ideally Nylander.
Saskleaf liked this.
Feb. 28 at 12:24 a.m.
Hakuna Matata
That deal starts with Marner or Nylander. Ideally Nylander.

I feel Van if they would want to move Pete would eye Willy due to the term he commited to. As with Marner they would have to negotiate and he could walk for nothing

Like to me if u can pull a Tkachuck like deal for Pete where Willy + Liligren go to Van for Pete thats something to consider.
Feb. 28 at 12:31 a.m.
Amirov Forever
I feel Van if they would want to move Pete would eye Willy due to the term he commited to. As with Marner they would have to negotiate and he could walk for nothing

Like to me if u can pull a Tkachuck like deal for Pete where Willy + Liligren go to Van for Pete thats something to consider.

Its a terrible look for the Leafs though. Dish out an 8 year contract with a NMC the whole way through only to trade him to a different team on a whim. For the next 8 years, there should be exactly 0 trades suggested where Nylander is any part of them. He's a Leaf for life, and Marner will be the same. To get Petey, it would probably cost one of those guys, by the Leafs shouldn't do it. Plus, Marner is better than Pettersson 🤷‍♂️
Feb. 28 at 12:39 a.m.
Its a terrible look for the Leafs though. Dish out an 8 year contract with a NMC the whole way through only to trade him to a different team on a whim. For the next 8 years, there should be exactly 0 trades suggested where Nylander is any part of them. He's a Leaf for life, and Marner will be the same. To get Petey, it would probably cost one of those guys, by the Leafs shouldn't do it. Plus, Marner is better than Pettersson 🤷‍♂️

Vancouver almost did the same to Miller last year.

It's not unheard of. I don't think it's a bad look of Willy is onboard.

Not sure how I'd feel about Marner for Petty. Only reason I'd consider it is cause I assume Marner will ask for $13M+ which will be absurd. But a deal like Willy+ Lili or Willy + Jarnkrok + Robertson. + Niemla +1st would be great for Toronto. They get a top 5 C for the next 8 years.
Feb. 28 at 12:40 a.m.

If Tree can pull off Tavares+Nylander for Pettersson that would be GM of the year type ****. Especially if he only needs to retain $4M or less on Tavares.
Feb. 28 at 12:49 a.m.
Hakuna Matata

Its really not a bad look when u think of oppertunity. If Van goes to TOR and says Willy + Niemela or Liligren for Pete take it and run

Pete is 2 years younger than Willy and when JT leaves their's your 2c replacement.

Like a trio of Matthews, Pete, and Marner would be intriguing to watch

Willy can be moved before the NTC kicks in July 1. If the deal happens it would be before then

Cause remember last year Van was very close to moving JTM at the TDL even with that extension
Feb. 28 at 12:51 a.m.
Hakuna Matata
If Tree can pull off Tavares+Nylander for Pettersson that would be GM of the year type ****. Especially if he only needs to retain $4M or less on Tavares.

JT aint going anywhere

Nobody would take that deal and hes not gonna waive.

Rn if u were to do it, its Willy whose the opportunity as hes rn got a M-NTC and his new deals NTC dont kick in till July 1

Marner no as hes a pending UFA and I dont think Van wants to risk a potential walk away lul

But hey if u can get someone just as good and 2 years younger holy **** you take that for Willy.
Leafsfan98 liked this.
Feb. 28 at 1:33 a.m.

2. What is the plan on D? I know there has been lots of debate here about who to pickup. Personally I think that Carrier is going to be the biggest steal of the deadline. He put up 30 points and was elite in his rookie season playing with Ekholm, since then his offence is gone but he's among the league leaders in hits and plays a really solid defensive game. He's small which is the biggest knock but his and Rielly's analytics profiles look like together they would be an elite #1 pair. I think the worst move we can make is Rasmus Andersson, he's essentially a bigger, bad version of Rielly. He is top 5 among defenseman for D zone turnovers and has less hits than Carrier despite Carrier being 5'11.

I see two paths on D; (i) We leave Brodie-Lili, Benoit-McCabe and focus on finding a partner for Rielly. (ii) Tre tries to significantly redo the D by finding a partner for Rielly AND upgrading either Brodie or Lili.

Thoughts?

I remember people saying too much is being made of RD vs LD (I remember @palhal definitely being one person) and well...tonight kind of showed what happens when you play guys out of their natural side.

Before the last 6-7 game stretch, Brodie looked horrible out there but during this stretch of 6-7 games he's been solid...so what changed? He was playing on naturally stronger side.

I don't know about the TDL but RD definitely needs to be addressed in the off season whether it's a trade or signing Matt Roy or someone who can bring stability to that side of D.
Juice liked this.
Feb. 28 at 1:37 a.m.
Hakuna Matata
Quoting: oneX
I remember people saying too much is being made of RD vs LD (I remember palhal definitely being one person) and well...tonight kind of showed what happens when you play guys out of their natural side.

Before the last 6-7 game stretch, Brodie looked horrible out there but during this stretch of 6-7 games he's been solid...so what changed? He was playing on naturally stronger side.

I don't know about the TDL but RD definitely needs to be addressed in the off season whether it's a trade or signing Matt Roy or someone who can bring stability to that side of D.

Just spitballing imagine a 2 step plan to improve the blue line like this

1. Trade for Rasmus Andersson or Adam Larsson (in this case would need it to be Andersson and you will see why).

Rielly-Liligren (fill in temporary could probs get the job done)
Brodie-Andersson
Benoit-McCabe

Then in the summer and this is where step II comes in go get either Roy or Demelo this FA.

Rielly-Demelo/Roy
McCabe-Andersson
Benoit-Liligren

Thats a pretty nice Dcore right there

You make a trade now for someone with term but then in the summer go get the other piece needed to make something even better.
oneX liked this.
Feb. 28 at 1:43 a.m.

I'd first like to ask you about how you feel about this team's depth over the past 6 years.

The truth is...a move like this one will definitely cause more problems in terms of lack of depth, especially if you're in the camp of keeping Nylander and Marner while adding Petterson.
Feb. 28 at 2:31 a.m.
I'd first like to ask you about how you feel about this team's depth over the past 6 years.

The truth is...a move like this one will definitely cause more problems in terms of lack of depth, especially if you're in the camp of keeping Nylander and Marner while adding Petterson.

I think realistically Nylander goes the other way and Toronto is a leader to acquire Pettersson because Vancouver won't want to rebuild and nobody is offering a player better than Nylander in return.
oneX liked this.
Feb. 28 at 3:18 a.m.
Just Keep Swimming
I think realistically Nylander goes the other way and Toronto is a leader to acquire Pettersson because Vancouver won't want to rebuild and nobody is offering a player better than Nylander in return.

Can't see Willie waiving his NTC for Vancouver if Petey isn't there
Feb. 28 at 6:58 a.m.
JT aint going anywhere

Nobody would take that deal and hes not gonna waive.

Rn if u were to do it, its Willy whose the opportunity as hes rn got a M-NTC and his new deals NTC dont kick in till July 1

Marner no as hes a pending UFA and I dont think Van wants to risk a potential walk away lul

But hey if u can get someone just as good and 2 years younger holy **** you take that for Willy.

He's got a full NMC right now. Negotiated as part of the contract extension.
Feb. 28 at 8:22 a.m.
Amirov Forever
Quoting: LeafsFanForSomeReason
He's got a full NMC right now. Negotiated as part of the contract extension.

Doesn't kick in until July 1st when his new contract begins, as it currently stands his only trade protection is his M-NTC
Feb. 28 at 8:25 a.m.
Amirov Forever

If Vancouver were to somehow accept my offer and EP signed at ~12m, I think the roster I constructed has a deep enough forward group to be competitors and a decent enough blue line, but the Goaltending is the huge question mark. I feel like we could ride out that cap nightmare for a year until JT expires, because then filling out the roster is a piece of cake
oneX liked this.
Feb. 28 at 8:39 a.m.
Go leafs go

A Petey to the leafs deal starts with Marner. Makes no sense any other way
Feb. 28 at 9:17 a.m.
Just spitballing imagine a 2 step plan to improve the blue line like this

1. Trade for Rasmus Andersson or Adam Larsson (in this case would need it to be Andersson and you will see why).

Rielly-Liligren (fill in temporary could probs get the job done)
Brodie-Andersson
Benoit-McCabe

Then in the summer and this is where step II comes in go get either Roy or Demelo this FA.

Rielly-Demelo/Roy
McCabe-Andersson
Benoit-Liligren

Thats a pretty nice Dcore right there

You make a trade now for someone with term but then in the summer go get the other piece needed to make something even better.

I'd expect this to pretty much be the exact strategy. Not necessarily these players...but pick up a RD with at least some term (or who you intend to extend) at this deadline and then add another in free agency with extensions for Lilly and Benoit
oneX liked this.
Feb. 28 at 9:21 a.m.
I consider myself to have been a Willy supporter throughout his leaf career...but that 4th goal last night really pissed me the f* off. The one with the possible Pietrangelo high stick keeping the puck in.

Breakout doesn't work and Willy is just standing with his shoulders drooped on the other side of the blueline watching and doing nothing.
Feb. 28 at 10:29 a.m.
Leafs going to Leafs
Was Vegas playing like saints last night?

1 penalty to 5 penalties!
Feb. 28 at 11:28 a.m.
Quoting: Saskleaf
A Petey to the leafs deal starts with Marner. Makes no sense any other way

I don't think that's true. If he says he isn't resigning then they need to move him. Assuming they still want to compete in the short term Nylander is likely the best player anyone would offer them in return.

In terms of points only Kucherov, MacKinnon, McDavid, Pasta, Miller are ahead of him. Obvs Miller is on Van and the other 4 aren't being moved for Petty. Even looking at the rest of the top 25 in points Bratt at 23 and Verhaeghe at 24 are the only ones whose teams would consider moving them (even for Petty) so Nylander as the base of a trade should blow away most other offers.

I see where you are coming from but I don't think Marner needs to be the guy simply because nobody can top Nylander.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll