Forums/Armchair-GM

Buch to Avs

Created by: Oscarjson
Team: 2023-24 Colorado Avalanche
Initial Creation Date: Feb. 29, 2024
Published: Feb. 29, 2024
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
Don't really like the centers out there. Buch is not likely, but Avs often try to trade for someone with an extra year left or with a contract extension coming. Try Buch and Rantanen as C and find out who fits best.
Trades
COL
    FC
    CHI
    1. Johansen, Ryan
    2. 2024 6th round pick (COL)
    3. 2026 3rd round pick (COL)
    TOR
    1. 2025 6th round pick (COL)
    COL
    1. Buchnevich, Pavel ($1,450,000 retained)
    STL
    1. Beaucage, Alex
    2. Behrens, Sean [Reserve List]
    3. 2024 1st round pick (COL)
    4. 2025 3rd round pick (COL)
    DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
    Logo of the COL
    Logo of the SEA
    Logo of the COL
    Logo of the COL
    Logo of the COL
    Logo of the COL
    Logo of the COL
    Logo of the COL
    Logo of the COL
    Logo of the COL
    Logo of the COL
    Logo of the COL
    Logo of the COL
    ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
    23$83,500,000$88,721,250$637,500$0-$5,221,250
    Left WingCentreRight Wing
    Logo of the Colorado Avalanche
    $825,000$825,000
    LW, RW
    UFA - 1
    $12,600,000$12,600,000
    C
    NMC
    UFA - 8
    $6,125,000$6,125,000
    RW, LW
    NMC
    UFA - 7
    $7,000,000$7,000,000
    LW, C
    NMC
    UFA - 6
    Logo of the St. Louis Blues
    $4,350,000$4,350,000
    LW, RW, C
    M-NTC
    UFA - 2
    $9,250,000$9,250,000
    RW, C
    M-NTC
    UFA - 2
    $2,500,000$2,500,000
    LW
    UFA - 6
    $4,000,000$4,000,000
    C, LW
    UFA - 4
    $4,500,000$4,500,000
    LW, RW
    NTC
    UFA - 4
    $825,000$825,000
    LW
    UFA - 1
    $825,000$825,000
    LW
    UFA - 1
    $1,050,000$1,050,000
    RW, LW
    UFA - 2
    Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
    $5,000,000$5,000,000
    LD/RD
    UFA - 4
    $9,000,000$9,000,000
    RD
    UFA - 4
    $3,400,000$3,400,000
    G
    UFA - 2
    $4,100,000$4,100,000
    LD
    UFA - 1
    $4,500,000$4,500,000
    RD
    NTC
    UFA - 3
    Logo of the Toronto Maple Leafs
    $875,000$875,000
    G
    UFA - 1
    $3,850,000$3,850,000
    LD/RD
    RFA - 2
    $775,000$775,000
    LD
    UFA - 1
    ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
    $896,250$896,250
    RW
    RFA - 2
    $2,000,000$2,000,000
    G
    UFA - 1
    $987,500$987,500
    LD/RD, LW
    UFA - 1
    $850,000$850,000
    RD
    RFA - 2

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
    • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
    Feb. 29 at 9:42 a.m.
    It takes a 2nd to move RyJo to Chicago.
    Feb. 29 at 9:44 a.m.
    Buch is fine defensively as a center, but you are not going to win a lot of faceoffs. That said Kevin Hayes could be included in the Blues deal if that interests you?
    Feb. 29 at 9:49 a.m.
    I can see Chicago taking on a contract this offseason, im not positive Johansen fits what they are trying to build.

Speed and high compete level has been a theme throughout the rebuild. I havent seen much of Johansen lately but that's not exactly what I think of when I hear his name.
    Feb. 29 at 9:52 a.m.
    Quoting: BDHockey
    Buch is fine defensively as a center, but you are not going to win a lot of faceoffs. That said Kevin Hayes could be included in the Blues deal if that interests you?

A good face-off-guy would be great, but I reckon it's gonna be tough with the cap. Especially next year with Toews extension.
    Feb. 29 at 9:55 a.m.
    Quoting: BankersBox
    I can see Chicago taking on a contract this offseason, im not positive Johansen fits what they are trying to build.

Speed and high compete level has been a theme throughout the rebuild. I havent seen much of Johansen lately but that's not exactly what I think of when I hear his name.

I believe it's not gonna be easy to dump RyJo's contract, and I get your point. The positive is he can contribute with experience to the young..
    Feb. 29 at 9:56 a.m.
    Quoting: Oscarjson
    A good face-off-guy would be great, but I reckon it's gonna be tough with the cap. Especially next year with Toews extension.

Hayes has a 56% in faceoffs and could be had with retention probably. Not a dynamic forward by any means, but his reach can be pretty useful for puck possession and he is good in the dots.
    Oscarjson liked this.
    Feb. 29 at 9:57 a.m.
    Kyle from Chicago
    Quoting: JK74

I would also suggest that as their only 2nd's in the coming years are in 26 and 27 that the hawks should also be awarded a 4th for having to wait.
    Oscarjson, Snowhawk18, JK74 and 1 other person liked this.
    Feb. 29 at 10:01 a.m.
    Snowhawk
    Quoting: Kyle_Davidson
    I would also suggest that as their only 2nd's in the coming years are in 26 and 27 that the hawks should also be awarded a 4th for having to wait.

That’s actually closer to fair value for the Hawks taking Johansen and providing cap relief for the Avalanche, especially considering how late in the round the Colorado pick is likely to be.
    JK74 and Hawksguy81 liked this.
    Feb. 29 at 10:04 a.m.
    mokumboi
    Quoting: BDHockey

In this deal??? The offer above is nowhere near good enough, especially coming from the Avs.
    Feb. 29 at 10:07 a.m.
    Quoting: mokumboi
    In this deal??? The offer above is nowhere near good enough, especially coming from the Avs.

I know, I hadn't gotten to the point of talking value yet. Just trying to figure out what pieces there would be interest for.
    mokumboi liked this.
    Feb. 29 at 10:16 a.m.
    Army will not trade with sicisional rival because he believe what he can retool on the fly.
    Feb. 29 at 10:35 a.m.

No it doesnt
    TJTwolf liked this.
    Feb. 29 at 10:55 a.m.
    Yeah don't see the blues trading buch to the Avs. Behrens is a 5'10 defensemen and we have a lot of those already. Beaucage hasn't impressed in the AHL so don't know why the blues would want him. There's really nothing big here for the blues
    Feb. 29 at 10:56 a.m.
    Quoting: JeffW
    No it doesnt

Then keep him. Chicago holds all the cards. They don't need and probably don't want RyJo so it costs whatever Chicago demands or they move on to the next desperate team.
    Snowhawk18 and Hawksguy81 liked this.
    Feb. 29 at 11:06 a.m.
    Then keep him. Chicago holds all the cards. They don't need and probably don't want RyJo so it costs whatever Chicago demands or they move on to the next desperate team.

Chicago holds some cards, but their are other teams out there, if colorado decides to trade for a centre it's likely that ryjo goes the other way.. if not Chicago might take him based on the same reason that they signed foligino hall and perry.

Ryjo only has negative value to colorado as he's not able to play in their high speed run and gun style, guys a slightly overpaid 3c who's scoring at a 1/3ppg pace. On a slow based team their is no reason why he wouldn't be worth more than his 4mill salary (like monahan)

There is also Arizona who plans on selling at least zucker, dumba and maybe kerfoot, they are also losing 10 mill in dead cap next year they use to get to the floor.
    Feb. 29 at 11:26 a.m.
    Snowhawk
    Chicago holds some cards, but their are other teams out there, if colorado decides to trade for a centre it's likely that ryjo goes the other way.. if not Chicago might take him based on the same reason that they signed foligino hall and perry.

Ryjo only has negative value to colorado as he's not able to play in their high speed run and gun style, guys a slightly overpaid 3c who's scoring at a 1/3ppg pace. On a slow based team their is no reason why he wouldn't be worth more than his 4mill salary (like monahan)

There is also Arizona who plans on selling at least zucker, dumba and maybe kerfoot, they are also losing 10 mill in dead cap next year they use to get to the floor.

The difference between this situation and the Hall, Foligno and Perry trades is that those deals were done in the summer whereas the creator of this thread appears to be trying to do something at the TDL. If in the summer the Hawks feel they need another contract to reach the cap floor, perhaps they take Johansen for free however, if Colorado is looking to move him now to acquire cap space then there will be a price to be paid and the offer above isn’t enough… whether it is Chicago or some other team involved.
    Hawksguy81 and JK74 liked this.
    Feb. 29 at 11:30 a.m.
    Quoting: Snowhawk18
    The difference between this situation and the Hall, Foligno and Perry trades is that those deals were done in the summer whereas the creator of this thread appears to be trying to do something at the TDL. If in the summer the Hawks feel they need another contract to reach the cap floor, perhaps they take Johansen for free however, if Colorado is looking to move him now to acquire vap space then here will be a price to be paid and the offer above isn’t enough.

The leagues top trade chip (tanev) just went for a 2nd and 3rd at 75% retention... and you think it'll cost a team a 2nd rd pick to take on a slightly overpaid veteran bottom 6C??
    TJTwolf liked this.
    Feb. 29 at 11:31 a.m.

You just reinforced my point though. If Arizona is willing to take him in a trade that's great. If any other team is willing to take him, that's great too. Chicago isn't winning anything in the next couple of years but they are laying the foundation for the future. I don't think a player like RyJo is a Richardson type of guy that helps lay that foundation. The only value to Chicago is the pick, which is why it would cost a 2nd for Chicago to take him.

As far as speed, that's the direction this team is headed. Korchinshi, Nazar, Moore, Rinzel, etc are all high speed high motor guys. In fact those types have been targeted in the past couple of drafts.
    Snowhawk18 liked this.
    Feb. 29 at 11:34 a.m.
    The leagues top trade chip (tanev) just went for a 2nd and 3rd at 75% retention... and you think it'll cost a team a 2nd rd pick to take on a slightly overpaid veteran bottom 6C??

Depends on how badly the team needs cap space. Sometimes cap space is more valuable.
    Snowhawk18 liked this.
    Feb. 29 at 11:36 a.m.
    Snowhawk

The difference is, and it is significant, is there were teams lined up for Tanev… who wants Johansen? One player is viewed as an asset (Tanev) the other is Johansen, who you just openly admitted is an overpaid bottom six centre.
    JK74 liked this.
    Feb. 29 at 11:45 a.m.
    The difference is, and it is significant, is there were teams lined up for Tanev… who wants Johansen? One player is viewed as an asset (Tanev) the other is Johansen, who you just openly admitted is an overpaid bottom six centre.

This makes little to no sense, prices go higher for players coveted around the league.. prices are whatever you can get for a "slightly overpaid" bottom 6c
    TJTwolf liked this.
    Feb. 29 at 11:46 a.m.
    Really going to love it if Chicago pay to take RyJo. I would simply love that to happen. The first two deals are fair enough but whether the deal for Buch is fair or not I simply don't think he's the right target for the Avs.
    Feb. 29 at 11:51 a.m.
    Snowhawk
    This makes little to no sense, prices go higher for players coveted around the league.. prices are whatever you can get for a "slightly overpaid" bottom 6c

The price didn’t go higher for Tanev, a coveted asset, because teams didn’t have the cap space to acquire him. What do you think cap space will cost the Avalanche to move an asset that nobody wants? No one is giving them a discount.

Look two summers ago the Hawks got a 2nd round pick from Vancouver to take two years of Dickinson at $2.75m per season. At the time the Hawks were thin at centre and NEEDED a veteran centre. They still got a 2nd round pick thrown into the deal and dumped Riley Stillman’s useless ass on the Canucks at the same time, why? Because the Canucks needed cap space.

Look we can back and forth all day on this, I suggest you go to Puckpedia, open up the “salary cap relief calculator” enter $4,000,000 which is what Ryjo will make next season with the Avalanche or any team he is traded to and see what the estimated draft capital cost is to move his contract.
    Feb. 29 at 11:57 a.m.
    Snowhawk
    Quoting: TJTwolf
    Really going to love it if Chicago pay to take RyJo. I would simply love that to happen. The first two deals are fair enough but whether the deal for Buch is fair or not I simply don't think he's the right target for the Avs.

Must suck when the alarm goes off and wakes you up from your dreams.
    Feb. 29 at 12:02 p.m.
    Must suck when the alarm goes off and wakes you up from your dreams.

Yeah it truly does, but I'm content to wait and see and I shall simply LOVE coming back to these posts if it happens. tears of joy

To create a post please Login or Register
    Question:
    Options:
    Add Option
    Submit Poll