SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/NHL

2023-2024 NHL Discussion Thread #5: The Final Stretch

Mar. 13 at 8:06 a.m.
Quoting: Saskleaf
“Goalie interference” that didn’t seem like goalie interference. Didn’t looked like he touched Jarry but it was still called back.

Joseph’s stick blade got into the mask of Jarry, which caused him to lose track of the puck and he immediately after allowed a goal, it’s not like most goalie interference cases where it’s contact in the crease with the goalie, this one’s a lot more subtle
Saskleaf liked this.
Mar. 13 at 8:10 a.m.
Go leafs go
Quoting: A_Habs_fan
Joseph’s stick blade got into the mask of Jarry, which caused him to lose track of the puck and he immediately after allowed a goal, it’s not like most goalie interference cases where it’s contact in the crease with the goalie, this one’s a lot more subtle

@MGK

Fair enough, I missed that
Mar. 13 at 8:44 a.m.
Edited Mar. 13 at 9:05 a.m.
I’m sorry but that’s wayyyyyyy too much for Hronek

I’m not saying you’re wrong, but ufa aged 27 year old right handed defensemen get paaaaaid.

I think this market is priced much more on scarcity than of specific performance. The ability to do the top role and succeed is so rare that the ability to do it alone has insane value relative to other positions. Poor goalies, middle 6 wingers.

But hronek logs huge minutes: 24 min average in Vancouver since acquisition.

If you’re gonna give 1 guy near half the game of ice-time, and the result of that is your team is near first overall in standings, it’s hard to simultaneously say he isn’t as valuable as a guy like Seth Jones, Darnell Nurse. Plus, 8.5 is like 7.75 if the contract is signed in a place with less income taxation.
Mar. 13 at 8:56 a.m.
WentWughes
Quoting: CantStopWontStop
I’m not saying you’re wrong, but ufa aged 27 year old right handed defensemen get paaaaaid.

I think this market is priced much more on scarcity than of specific performance.

But hronek logs huge minutes: 24 min average in Vancouver since acquisition.

If you’re gonna give 1 guy near half the game of ice-time, and the result of that is your team is near first overall in standings, it’s hard to simultaneously say he isn’t as valuable as a guy like Seth Jones, Darnell Nurse.

Two guys who just happen to be massively overpaid. Not two comparables I'd want to use.
Mar. 13 at 8:59 a.m.
Edited Mar. 13 at 9:54 a.m.
Quoting: KSIxSKULLS
Two guys who just happen to be massively overpaid. Not two comparables I'd want to use.

cool his agent has them on the top of the stack

They’d put years 25-27 up for each, put hroneks year 25-27. Then ask for 10 mil.

Imma throw it out there.

The only thing it seems I can guess is salary. Everything else I’m wrong always, but sometimes right on salary.

Imma guess one of two:

Either Vancouver prevails and gets Hronek to commit to a team friendly deal exactly at Quinn Hughes 7.785 mil, but structure so he gets another big deal after some inflationary cap action 4-5yr from now with like all the bells and whistles (gavrikov mindset), OR Hronek forces comparable valuation and gets 10mil plus, either there or elsewhere. Given his peers, it would be normal for Hronek to consider his own value that high. Nevermind that the next handful of cap raises will be spicy, and he’s signing right before that moment starts. Taking less now but being in a good role with the term that allows a second meaty contract may mean larger career earnings than taking 8 years today. If you’d ask me to take the cash today, I’d want a huge pile of it.

All depends on what a spreadsheet says maximizes career earnings.

One or the other.
Mar. 13 at 10:48 a.m.
What playoff matchups do you guys want to see?

For me it's
Fla-TBL NYR-Was Bos-Tor Car-DRW
Wpg-Nas Van-VGK Col-Dal EDM-LA
Mar. 13 at 12:03 p.m.
Mar. 13 at 1:28 p.m.
WentWughes
Ben Chiarot and Lucas Raymond got into a shoving match today at practice. Just in case anybody is questioning Detroit's current losing streak.
CantStopWontStop and zk97 liked this.
Mar. 13 at 1:38 p.m.
Amirov Forever
Ben Chiarot and Lucas Raymond got into a shoving match today at practice. Just in case anybody is questioning Detroit's current losing streak.

Trying to be the 2019 Blues I see
Mar. 13 at 1:43 p.m.
WentWughes
Quoting: NorthernLeafsFan05
Trying to be the 2019 Blues I see

Toxic locker room. Team was in a playoff spot and Yzerman didn't add a thing. Even he doesn't have confidence in the team.
zk97 liked this.
Mar. 13 at 1:57 p.m.
Toxic locker room. Team was in a playoff spot and Yzerman didn't add a thing. Even he doesn't have confidence in the team.

eh. It wasn't much, but apparently Chiarot injured Raymond in practice last year.

It's no Primeau-Probert fight, that's for sure.
Mar. 13 at 2:10 p.m.
JimmyPaek
The whole Rempe cult got me thinking that with the visors now mandated (I’m old and forgot it was required and that only fellow old people around my age can opt out) fighting should be 100% outlawed. All they’re doing is punish plastic and glass for what exactly? It’s pointless and the league looks absurd trying to enforce safe fighting.
Mar. 13 at 4:25 p.m.
Bedard23
Quoting: edeangel84
The whole Rempe cult got me thinking that with the visors now mandated (I’m old and forgot it was required and that only fellow old people around my age can opt out) fighting should be 100% outlawed. All they’re doing is punish plastic and glass for what exactly? It’s pointless and the league looks absurd trying to enforce safe fighting.

The visor’s purpose is to protect against the puck, sure it could get in the way during fights, that’s why you go under it during one
Mar. 13 at 4:26 p.m.
JimmyPaek
Quoting: IconicHawk
The visor’s purpose is to protect against the puck, sure it could get in the way during fights, that’s why you go under it during one

It’s why the fights are honestly lame. It’s just guys hugging and throwing some punches that rarely connect. It’s dumb and just ban it.
Mar. 13 at 4:35 p.m.
It’s why the fights are honestly lame. It’s just guys hugging and throwing some punches that rarely connect. It’s dumb and just ban it.

How would you predict the progression would go, if they did ban it?

Perhaps a season starts where a fighting major = a game misconduct?

I think that rule would have to be on pause for the playoffs for a few years. Can’t have the refs ejecting players because on slow Mo video replay the act counted as “throwing a punch”. Too much grey area for a rapid transition I think.
Mar. 13 at 4:37 p.m.
JimmyPaek

I think that rule would have to be on pause for the playoffs for a few years. Can’t have the refs ejecting players because on slow Mo video replay the act counted as “throwing a punch”. Too much grey area for a rapid transition I think.

A fight equals game misconduct and a 5 game suspension for first offense. After 3 fights you’re done for the season. Easy as that. A jab to a guy in a scrum at the front of the net is not a fight.
A_Habs_fan liked this.
Mar. 13 at 4:38 p.m.

I mean, I'd consider most fights as two willing players throw punches at each other, what you're worried about would get called as roughing if anything
Mar. 13 at 4:39 p.m.
JimmyPaek
On another note, ACGMs over the last month between Jake trades and now Crosby trades are making me strongly dislike half the fan bases in Canada.
Mar. 13 at 4:44 p.m.
On another note, ACGMs over the last month between Jake trades and now Crosby trades are making me strongly dislike half the fan bases in Canada.

You can join the back of this amazingly huge line, you haven't experienced hockey fandom if you don't hate most Canadian fanbases
CantStopWontStop, zk97, squashmaple and 1 other person liked this.
Mar. 13 at 4:45 p.m.
JimmyPaek
You can join the back of this amazingly huge line, you haven't experienced hockey fandom if you don't hate most Canadian fanbases

I’ve been a hockey fan since 1989. I had no problem with any Canadian team. Our rivals are Philly, the Caps, the Rags, and Bruins. That’s who we have the most bad blood with.
Mar. 13 at 4:52 p.m.
Edited Mar. 13 at 5:00 p.m.
It would sell so many tickets. Sooooo many tickets if Crosby rented out next season in a blind auction expiring deadline day, resigned back in Pittsburgh after. And Doobey do would get a kings ransom.

10/10 the future I want. Don’t have to stress about a rebuild, still get to keep Crosby for 95% of his career. Just share a lil. You’d be paid so well. Pretend it’s the Olympics. Biggest rental of all time. Owners in fistfights. $4,000 standing room only playoff tickets.
edeangel84 liked this.
Mar. 13 at 5:50 p.m.

Vancouver fans go wild when the team is winning. Just wait till the playoffs...
Leafsfan98 liked this.
Mar. 13 at 10:35 p.m.
What is the predators plan? They might be the most directionless team in the NHL
KSIxSKULLS liked this.
Mar. 13 at 10:52 p.m.
Bedard23
I thoroughly enjoy when people or more so Bedard haters bring up his +/- (which admittedly is ****) yet fail to realize

1. +/- is more a reflection on the whole team rather then 1 player

2. Mario Lemieux was a -33 as a rookie, was he complete dog****?
mv21227 liked this.
Mar. 13 at 11:17 p.m.
Quoting: IconicHawk
I thoroughly enjoy when people or more so Bedard haters bring up his +/- (which admittedly is ****) yet fail to realize

1. +/- is more a reflection on the whole team rather then 1 player

2. Mario Lemieux was a -33 as a rookie, was he complete dog****?

Dang Lemieux was -33 as a rookie? Dude is definitely the most overrated player of all time smh. Bust just like Bedard

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll