SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/NHL

2023-2024 NHL Discussion Thread #5: The Final Stretch

Mar. 27 at 10:45 p.m.
Quoting: aadoyle
That would require advanced thinking and the old fossils running the NHL dont seem to want progression unless they really have to lul

Like there are so many advancements NHL be hesitant to do that would help the game

Man sometimes when I think of how good the league could be I get unreasonably angry.
Mar. 27 at 10:47 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Quoting: Rangsey
Man sometimes when I think of how good the league could be I get unreasonably angry.

Same then I watch Dana Whites analogy and start to laugh
Mar. 28 at 7:22 a.m.
If every team has a crew looking at every entry to determine offsides the league should employ a team aswell. If there's an offside review that takes more than 30seconds the goal should stand.

I don’t see why we’d try to rush reviews, that’s how you get bad reviews and more controversy
Mar. 28 at 8:32 a.m.
Edited Mar. 28 at 8:38 a.m.
I like the idea that if they cannot decide an offside, equipment issue aside, within a timeframe, say 30 seconds of viewing the play, the call stands. If you have to rewatch a 5 second clip more than 6 times, and still decide you need to watch it more, you’re not sure, and calls should only be changed when they’re sure. No need to keep everybody in suspense for 5 minutes. But I also don’t hate the leagues concept of “just get it right”. That’s okay too. It just has the annoying downside that sometimes extremely minor things are put under a microscope for too long. I think we have to do it the nhls way if they’re giving out penalties for being wrong to challengers.

I wouldn’t be shocked if the future the blue line goes in OT - the constant backtracking is kinda not excellent for viewing - so you might get a taste of the league without blue lines for your consideration. Although I bet if they do this some poor linesman will blow a play dead for offsides on reaction and it would be a cluster.
Mar. 28 at 8:45 a.m.
Quoting: A_Habs_fan
I don’t see why we’d try to rush reviews, that’s how you get bad reviews and more controversy

When the game stops for more than 2 minutes for a review it can totally throw a wet blanket on a good game. And its terrible viewing. The game should be about the hockey not about watching a bunch of guys look at an iPad.
Mar. 28 at 11:50 a.m.
Leafs going to Leafs
On all this money talk, I would like to see the NHL implement a system that's being used in another sport: the NFL and restructuring contracts

For example, John Tavares signed an 11 million dollar contract for 7 years; Covid hit a couple years later and the Leafs ended up in cap hell, the Leafs would have the ability to negotiate with JT about restructuring his contract that could extend his contract by an extra year or 2 to stretch his 55 million dollars over 7 years (7.8 mill cap hit)... Obviously, both sides have to agree to it...

Wouldn't this system do well in the NHL?
Mar. 28 at 11:59 a.m.
Edited Mar. 28 at 2:57 p.m.
Quoting: Leafsfan98
On all this money talk, I would like to see the NHL implement a system that's being used in another sport: the NFL and restructuring contracts

For example, John Tavares signed an 11 million dollar contract for 7 years; Covid hit a couple years later and the Leafs ended up in cap hell, the Leafs would have the ability to negotiate with JT about restructuring his contract that could extend his contract by an extra year or 2 to stretch his 55 million dollars over 7 years (7.8 mill cap hit)... Obviously, both sides have to agree to it...

Wouldn't this system do well in the NHL?

It be interesting to have a system Monte Carlo this over a handful of seasons. What happens when all teams can do this and each team averages doing it one time per 2 years. That’s a future that needs to be examined. Is hard to evaluate the consequence. What precedent is set and is it fair. What is exploitable.

Otherwise:
I don’t see why it wouldn’t work as long as there were firm and equal guardrails on each side of the process so that any restructure has some limits as to how much bigger, longer, cheaper(!), shorter(!), it could be at what cost. It would help players and teams get out of bad situations without having as much impact on total team performance. Buyouts have these guardrails, no reason some similar equation couldn’t be set up to allow restructure in both directions.

What if a team can drop 2 years of term for 10%-30%? reduction in cash out, but the total has to be paid upfront at the time of choice. (Player gets most of the contract still, but also freedom sooner to go elsewhere or renegotiate, team ejects player and clears cap or resigns at a fairer number. Good for situation where a player changes roles drastically. Good for a team who isn’t happy with performance. If a player resigns any double dip is negated).

And the team can add 2 years to a term for 10%-30? of the price, but if they choose to do this, they have to pay the entirety in cash upfront. (Franchise tag limited slots per team, 1?, some equation to reduce aav slightly for all years).

The player can choose to reduce term by 2 years, but loses 90% the aav remaining. (Player ejection seat, pull only in case of emergency, player forced buyout).

The player cannot choose to add more term.

Only effects deals of 4 or more years with 3 or more years remaining.
Mar. 28 at 12:20 p.m.
Respect Mike Grier
https://x.com/FriedgeHNIC/status/1773383018284998746?s=20

Fedotov is PHI holy ****?!
Mar. 28 at 1:24 p.m.
Leafs going to Leafs
Quoting: CantStopWontStop
It be interesting to have a system Monte Carlo this over a handful of seasons. What happens when all teams can do this and each team averages doing it one time per 2 years. That’s a future that needs to be examined. Is hard to evaluate the consequence. What precedent is set and is it fair. What is exploitable.

Otherwise:
I don’t see why it wouldn’t work as long as there were firm and equal guardrails on each side of the process so that any restructure has some limits as to how much bigger, longer, cheaper(!), shorter(!), it could be at what cost. It would help players and teams get out of bad situations without having as much impact on total team performance. Buyouts have these guardrails, no reason some similar equation couldn’t be set up to allow restructure in both directions.

What if a team can drop 2 years of term for 10%-30%? reduction in cash out, but the total has to be paid upfront at the time of choice. (Player gets most of the contract still, but also freedom sooner to go elsewhere or renegotiate, team ejects player and clears cap or resigns at a fairer number. Good for situation where a player changes roles drastically. If a player resigns any double dip is negated).

And the team can add 2 years to a term for 10%-30? of the price, but if they choose to do this, they have to pay the entirety in cash upfront. (Franchise tag limited slots per team, 1?, some equation to reduce aav slightly for all years).

The player can choose to reduce term by 2 years, but loses 90% the aav remaining. (Player ejection seat, pull only in case of emergency, player forced buyout).

The player cannot choose to add more term.

Only effects deals of 4 or more years with 3 or more years remaining.

So, you are saying there needs to be guidelines/punishment to restructure contract?

And the rule would be, both parties agree to it; so it's not like the player can just say: "I'm going to add 3 more years of term" and the team has no control.

I do agree that there could be a 5% tax (let's just say) in restructuring contracts, but I have a feeling it would be a rule both sides would like with the clause that both sides need to agree
Mar. 28 at 2:46 p.m.
Edited Mar. 28 at 3:24 p.m.
Quoting: Leafsfan98
So, you are saying there needs to be guidelines/punishment to restructure contract?

And the rule would be, both parties agree to it; so it's not like the player can just say: "I'm going to add 3 more years of term" and the team has no control.

I do agree that there could be a 5% tax (let's just say) in restructuring contracts, but I have a feeling it would be a rule both sides would like with the clause that both sides need to agree

Yeah cause I think in nearly every case it would be primarily a one sided decision. In Tavares example, he may prefer that his team have more cap space, but he doesn’t care to the level the team does, they’d want that much more. So there has to be some fair compensation and limits to the pain a one sided decision can cause. (And prevent exploitation by sneaky gms/maintain parity by giving equal rules) Since there’s 4 directions it could go, you’d probably have each side wanting each of their 2 directions. Team wants longer, team wants shorter, player wants longer, player wants shorter. The player simply can’t get it longer by force as their role is specifically tied to their performance. If they perform, they will be in demand. They don’t need this too. Players probably wouldn’t want to give owners the ability to change their contracts without the ability to do so too, especially in cases they aren’t performing, so they’d get the ejection seat instead. Idk actually how this would work but it would probs have to exist. Somehow the player pays a cost that makes the use only in extreme cases. Significantly worse than “an opt out” for the player.

It might be an amazing solution to provide a super rigid system a pressure relief whose goal is to properly align team and player interests in the medium and long term. Right now, you ink that 8 years that’s it. There’s no escape for anybody (obv buyout and trade, but neither is a mutual decision, both are entirely one sided decisions and extremely rigid). That’s not good if somebody really needs a change halfway thru, for whatever reason. If everybody could make these small slides, the friction in team construction and cap compliance goes down. Converting everything to a bonus payment eliminates any time value of money conflicts.
Leafsfan98 and Saskleaf liked this.
Mar. 28 at 7:33 p.m.
WentWughes
Suzuki scores his 30th of the year... he's so underrated
McGruff and Saskleaf liked this.
Mar. 28 at 8:37 p.m.
GM CRIME DAWG
Quoting: KSIxSKULLS
Suzuki scores his 30th of the year... he's so underrated

A couple of weeks ago, did a top-6 underrated CF post (totally off-the-cuff) after watching Nick Paul's game...
Thinking afterward of some more guys to add or consider & Suzuki was def worthy!!
KSIxSKULLS liked this.
Mar. 28 at 8:38 p.m.
WentWughes
Colin White is playing his 23rd game tonight and has 0 points. Wild
Mar. 28 at 9:19 p.m.
WentWughes
Colin White is playing his 23rd game tonight and has 0 points. Wild

Just looked into this, Ryan Shea has also played 22 Career NHL games, and has 0 NHL Points.
Mar. 28 at 9:36 p.m.
Jake neighbors continues to carry stl. He’s gonna get the next letter the team hands out.
KSIxSKULLS liked this.
Mar. 28 at 9:36 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Bertuzzi has woken up at the perfect time

5 goals and an assist last 5 games
CantStopWontStop liked this.
Mar. 28 at 11:41 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Edited Mar. 29 at 12:08 a.m.
GJy4lJEXoAAA-xp?format=png&name=900x900

What are the chances of that lul

Can any of u see it
Saskleaf and CantStopWontStop liked this.
Mar. 29 at 2:59 a.m.
GJy4lJEXoAAA-xp?format=png&name=900x900

What are the chances of that lul

Can any of u see it

Bjornfort in a Leaf jersey in the future. I can see it.
Mar. 29 at 3:00 a.m.
Bertuzzi has woken up at the perfect time

5 goals and an assist last 5 games

You didn't get him for the first 82 games. You got him for the last 16 wins.
Mar. 29 at 4:07 a.m.
Hakuna Matata

Nah the similar thing was he was drafted with a TOR 1st we gave in the Muzzin deal
Saskleaf liked this.
Mar. 29 at 4:08 a.m.
Hakuna Matata
You didn't get him for the first 82 games. You got him for the last 16 wins.

We got him for reg season and playoffs and he seems to have kicked it into high gear at the perfect time
Mar. 29 at 8:30 a.m.
If you’ve found yourself wondering what Chara would look like in net, the flyers have announced on twitter that Ivan Fedotov has joined the club.
Mar. 29 at 10:13 a.m.
Leafs going to Leafs

He was the pick the Leafs sent over in the Muzzin trade
Mar. 29 at 10:36 a.m.
WentWughes
Leafs signed Benoit to a 1x1.35, and their fans are very insecure about it xD
Mar. 29 at 11:02 a.m.
Leafs signed Benoit to a 1x1.35, and their fans are very insecure about it xD

Huh? What’s there to be insecure about?
Leafsfan98 and Saskleaf liked this.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options: