Forums/Armchair-GM

KK Is a Goner

Created by: gaz
Team: 2024-25 Carolina Hurricanes
Initial Creation Date: Apr. 5, 2024
Published: Apr. 5, 2024
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
The seemingly inevitable scratching came yesterday and I think will continue barring any injuries the rest of the year. With this being said, his contract in the long term may pan out to be decent however in the short term while there's a bit of a cap crunch, KK's contract is taking up valuable cap space that should be spent on more impactful players.
Free Agent Signings
RESERVE LISTYEARSCAP HIT
2$925,000
1$950,000
RFAYEARSCAP HIT
1$850,000
2$2,000,000
8$8,000,000
2$775,000
1$775,000
7$7,000,000
UFAYEARSCAP HIT
3$2,750,000
6$8,750,000
1$2,000,000
1$2,250,000
Trades
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the CAR
Logo of the CAR
Logo of the CAR
Logo of the CAR
Logo of the CAR
Logo of the CAR
Logo of the OTT
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the CAR
Logo of the CAR
Logo of the CAR
Logo of the CAR
Logo of the CAR
Logo of the CAR
Logo of the CAR
Logo of the CAR
Logo of the CAR
Logo of the CAR
Logo of the CAR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the CAR
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
22$87,700,000$87,521,667$0$350,000$178,333

Roster

Left WingCentreRight Wing
Logo of the Carolina Hurricanes
$8,750,000$8,750,000
LW, RW
UFA
$9,750,000$9,750,000
C
NMC
UFA - 8
$8,000,000$8,000,000
RW
RFA
$7,750,000$7,750,000
LW, RW
UFA - 5
$3,900,000$3,900,000
C
M-NTC
UFA - 1
$7,000,000$7,000,000
RW
RFA
$2,000,000$2,000,000
LW, RW
UFA
$2,900,000$2,900,000
C, LW
NMC
UFA - 3
$2,400,000$2,400,000
RW
M-NTC
UFA - 1
$925,000$925,000
RW
RFA - 2
$2,000,000$2,000,000
C
RFA
$950,000$950,000
C
RFA
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$5,300,000$5,300,000
LD
M-NTC
UFA - 1
$5,280,000$5,280,000
RD
M-NTC
UFA - 1
$3,400,000$3,400,000
G
M-NTC
UFA - 1
$7,750,000$7,750,000
LD
UFA - 1
$2,750,000$2,750,000
RD
UFA
$2,000,000$2,000,000
G
UFA - 3
$2,250,000$2,250,000
LD/RD
UFA
$916,667$916,667 (Performance Bonus$350,000$350K)
RD
RFA - 2
ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
$775,000$775,000
LW, RW
UFA - 1
$775,000$775,000
G
UFA - 1

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Apr. 5 at 9:08 a.m.
GO LEAFS GO
I'd love to see the Habs offersheet Necas and the canes have to lose him because of kk's atrocious contract
Apr. 5 at 9:15 a.m.
Quoting: Thetypicalleafsfann
I'd love to see the Habs offersheet Necas and the canes have to lose him because of kk's atrocious contract

For league entertainment, it'd be great to see the offersheet cold war continue but if MTL were to do so, the Canes would subsequently offersheet Slaf, Guhle or any of MTL's young RFA expiry players in the coming years.
brady_t12 liked this.
Apr. 5 at 9:20 a.m.
Quoting: gaz
For league entertainment, it'd be great to see the offersheet cold war continue but if MTL were to do so, the Canes would subsequently offersheet Slaf, Guhle or any of MTL's young RFA expiry players in the coming years.

1. I don't see Hughes going the OS route

2. If he did, I don't think he is dumb enough not to sign his RFA's the year before their expiry
Apr. 5 at 9:30 a.m.
Quoting: Campabee
1. I don't see Hughes going the OS route

2. If he did, I don't think he is dumb enough not to sign his RFA's the year before their expiry

I agree and don't think they'll try another offersheet after how the Aho/KK series went (regardless of how KK's been playing, they initiated the conflict and ended up losing both players), however if they did they probably would have to offer Necas $8-10m on a 1 year deal with an extension worked out beyond that similar to how the KK offersheet went where you drastically overpay for 1 year with a long term extension figured out ahead of time. And for MTL, they have so many RFAs in the next 2-3 years that it'd be tough to proactively sign every player before expiry, there's a lot of choices for a retaliatory OS that CAR could choose from.
Apr. 5 at 9:32 a.m.
Why on earth would SJS give up Chmelevski for KK?
ChadBradson liked this.
Apr. 5 at 9:39 a.m.
I agree and don't think they'll try another offersheet after how the Aho/KK series went (regardless of how KK's been playing, they initiated the conflict and ended up losing both players), however if they did they probably would have to offer Necas $8-10m on a 1 year deal with an extension worked out beyond that similar to how the KK offersheet went where you drastically overpay for 1 year with a long term extension figured out ahead of time. And for MTL, they have so many RFAs in the next 2-3 years that it'd be tough to proactively sign every player before expiry, there's a lot of choices for a retaliatory OS that CAR could choose from.

I just don't think Hughes operates that way, but you are right Habs have a ton of good RFA's coming due for new contracts.
gaz liked this.
Apr. 5 at 10:04 a.m.
Oh great...another Canes Habs trade where everyone is too emotional lol. Well I've ignored half the people who would comment on this so....
My only comment is I don't understand Kk. He had so many opportunities, and now he's in trouble to find a place to play.
Clearly, the Habs made a huge mistake drafting him. His skating is just not good enough. Also lacks vision.
Apr. 5 at 10:13 a.m.
sharcuda22
Quoting: Garak

KK definitely is a negative asset now. Sharks need more centers but, another young center on what is looking like a worse and worse contract isnt what we need.
Garak liked this.
Apr. 5 at 10:17 a.m.

lolol

something along the lines of 6 400 088 for one year
Apr. 5 at 10:25 a.m.

He didn't want to play for the Sharks after his ELC expired and willingly chose to go play in Europe over signing his qualifying offer.
Apr. 5 at 10:28 a.m.
He didn't want to play for the Sharks after his ELC expired and willingly chose to go play in Europe over signing his qualifying offer.

KK has rather large negative value, and it continues to look worse and worse. So, I'll rephrase the question. Why would SJS give up ANYTHING for KK?
sharcuda22 and DangleCat liked this.
Apr. 5 at 10:30 a.m.
sharcuda22

That wasn’t really what happened. He was annoyed at not getting an opportunity higher in the line up, and the sharks have gotten rid of the regime he played under. He’s already said he would come pack for the sharks, but that doesnt necessarily mean that will happen. However this is more about the value, KK is a negative asset so you would have to send more the sharks way to make this happen.
Apr. 5 at 10:30 a.m.
Quoting: sharcuda22
KK definitely is a negative asset now. Sharks need more centers but, another young center on what is looking like a worse and worse contract isnt what we need.

The Sharks won't be competitive for a playoff spot until the end of this decade which is right around the time KK's deal will expire (29-30). With the cap continuing to rise, you'll still need to hit the cap floor going forwards even as you finally tear down the pieces around the team. On top of that, obviously the sharks will start to bring in some of their younger kids in the next couple seasons but you still need players to be in your lineup to hold you over, and while he hasn't lived up to his draft spot KK is not a bad player, he's a decent 3rd liner who at 23 still has potential to be a 50 point center in the league. If he doesn't work out in San Jose, the buyout is very cheap, long, but very cheap.
Apr. 5 at 10:32 a.m.
KK has rather large negative value, and it continues to look worse and worse. So, I'll rephrase the question. Why would SJS give up ANYTHING for KK?

See my response to Sharcuda22, that summarizes my thoughts.
Apr. 5 at 10:33 a.m.
I can see Sharks taking this deal, on 23 yrs. They need to start putting NHLer on the ice soon
gaz liked this.
Apr. 5 at 10:37 a.m.
See my response to Sharcuda22, that summarizes my thoughts.

I don't know where everyone got this idea recently, but a team "having cap space" does not mean that they will take on other teams cap dumps for cheap, nothing, or even pay for them as you have insisted. It just means that SJS is one of VERY few teams that can accommodate a cap dump transaction. It will still cost just as much, though.
sharcuda22 and ChadBradson liked this.
Apr. 5 at 10:38 a.m.
sharcuda22
The Sharks won't be competitive for a playoff spot until the end of this decade which is right around the time KK's deal will expire (29-30). With the cap continuing to rise, you'll still need to hit the cap floor going forwards even as you finally tear down the pieces around the team. On top of that, obviously the sharks will start to bring in some of their younger kids in the next couple seasons but you still need players to be in your lineup to hold you over, and while he hasn't lived up to his draft spot KK is not a bad player, he's a decent 3rd liner who at 23 still has potential to be a 50 point center in the league. If he doesn't work out in San Jose, the buyout is very cheap, long, but very cheap.

The timeline that the sharks are operating on is just different. Grier has indicated multiple times the plan is to start to try and win in 2-3 years, so KK contract is counter intuitive. But the main issue is the sharks cant have another year where they are THIS bad, that will be detrimental to the developing players at the club, so i imagine our focus would be on the vets, meaning this deal would have to be worth it for the sharks to accept, and this is not it. KK’s contract is a huge risk, especially considering what it might mean for our internal cap structure moving forward. He should be a 3 mil player on one of the best teams in the league with all the support in the world. the sharks can give him none of that so we shouldn’t assume he can be better. Gonna have to put assets in the trade to dump him, but given his cheap buyout i imagine the canes would do that first.
Garak liked this.
Apr. 5 at 10:39 a.m.
Molson beer is meh

If MTL had most of their "future" core players locked up to long term contracts (Guhle, Slafkovsky, Roy, even Hutson and Reinbacher in a few years), I could see them going for offer sheets. The risk of retaliation is too great now.

Counter argument: Habs were really tight against the cap when they lost KK. Habs are going to have more than enough cap space moving forward to match any offer sheet coming to their own players. So embrace the chaos, and let the cold war continue!
gaz liked this.
Apr. 5 at 11:06 a.m.
The timeline that the sharks are operating on is just different. Grier has indicated multiple times the plan is to start to try and win in 2-3 years, so KK contract is counter intuitive. But the main issue is the sharks cant have another year where they are THIS bad, that will be detrimental to the developing players at the club, so i imagine our focus would be on the vets, meaning this deal would have to be worth it for the sharks to accept, and this is not it. KK’s contract is a huge risk, especially considering what it might mean for our internal cap structure moving forward. He should be a 3 mil player on one of the best teams in the league with all the support in the world. the sharks can give him none of that so we shouldn’t assume he can be better. Gonna have to put assets in the trade to dump him, but given his cheap buyout i imagine the canes would do that first.

What cost would you put on taking KK? The one counter argument I'd give you is that the Sharks can give KK the opportunity that no other team really can while they're in their rebuild, which is more TOI and better PP opportunities that he doesn't see in CAR. Part of the reason he looks worse statistically than he probably is in actuality is the opportunities given/not given with the Canes that he could get on a rebuilding team like San Jose. A current comparison that comes to mind is Granlund's success with SJS with increased opportunity that he never really had with PIT and to some extent with NSH too.
Apr. 5 at 11:16 a.m.
sharcuda22
What cost would you put on taking KK? The one counter argument I'd give you is that the Sharks can give KK the opportunity that no other team really can while they're in their rebuild, which is more TOI and better PP opportunities that he doesn't see in CAR. Part of the reason he looks worse statistically than he probably is in actuality is the opportunities given/not given with the Canes that he could get on a rebuilding team like San Jose. A current comparison that comes to mind is Granlund's success with SJS with increased opportunity that he never really had with PIT and to some extent with NSH too.

That’s true, but Granlund had succcess before PIT, which I believe was more of a bad fit system wise than it was an indictment on the player. KK is also a similar profile to players Grier likes to pick up, but he definitely went overboard this season which has led to us being beyond bad, and KK’s contract is very scary, and could prevent players like Bystedt and Edstrom from their places when the time comes. Given the nice buyout structure I would say no more than a 2nd probably to dump him, but it could be less depending on other pieces of the deal vs whether or not the canes are OK with the buyout. I’ve seen other people say 3-5th round picks but that seems too cheap for my taste.
gaz liked this.
Apr. 5 at 11:25 a.m.
That’s true, but Granlund had succcess before PIT, which I believe was more of a bad fit system wise than it was an indictment on the player. KK is also a similar profile to players Grier likes to pick up, but he definitely went overboard this season which has led to us being beyond bad, and KK’s contract is very scary, and could prevent players like Bystedt and Edstrom from their places when the time comes. Given the nice buyout structure I would say no more than a 2nd probably to dump him, but it could be less depending on other pieces of the deal vs whether or not the canes are OK with the buyout. I’ve seen other people say 3-5th round picks but that seems too cheap for my taste.

Maybe something in the ballpark of KK, CAR's '24 3rd, and a couple of 4th-6th round picks (Canes have plenty to choose from in the next 3 years) for the signing rights to Chmelevski? CAR sold off their '25 and '26 3rds previously otherwise you could maybe send two 3rds.
sharcuda22 liked this.
Apr. 5 at 11:40 a.m.
sharcuda22
Maybe something in the ballpark of KK, CAR's '24 3rd, and a couple of 4th-6th round picks (Canes have plenty to choose from in the next 3 years) for the signing rights to Chmelevski? CAR sold off their '25 and '26 3rds previously otherwise you could maybe send two 3rds.

I could see something like that, I appreciate the discussion!
gaz liked this.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll