Forums/Fauteuil - DG

What would the Flames give up for Tij Iginla

Created by: patnaisnyquil
Team: 2023-24 Montreal Canadiens
Initial Creation Date: Apr. 8, 2024
Published: Apr. 8, 2024
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
As the title say, Iginla is torching the WHL playoffs right now and rumors suggest that Kent Hughes is interested in picking him. As of now, Montréal would have the 5th selection in the draft (they might drop to 6 or 7 until the end of the season).

For obvious reasons, Iginla to Calgary would be a cool story and Im sure Flames fans are on board with that. The Flames would currently hold the 8th pick, so Flames fans, in the possibility that Iginla could be off the board at 8, would you be interested in moving up or would you be OK with taking another player, like Catton, Lindstrom or Eiserman instead?

As a Habs fan, I absolutely love Iginla and he'd be my pick over any forward not named Celebrini or Demidov, so I'd be OK with reaching for him at 5, but I wouldn't be against moving back to the 8th spot and taking Catton for a decent return.
Trades
MTL
  1. 2024 1st round pick (CGY)
  2. 2024 1st round pick (VAN)
Additional Details:
Calgary moves pick #8 and #29 for #5 and #69
CGY
  1. 2024 1st round pick (MTL)
  2. 2024 3rd round pick (MTL)
MTL
  1. Necas, Martin
Additional Details:
Carolina gets pick #24, a good young RHD and a decent goalie for someone they'll have a hard time resigning. I would be OK with giving up Winnipeg and Vancouver's 1st picks and take off Barron, but I think Carolina would prefer young, NHL ready players. They might loose Pesce and Skjei, and Morrow isnt a guarantee to work out.
CAR
  1. Barron, Justin
  2. Dobes, Jakub
  3. 2024 1st round pick (WPG)
Additional Details:
Habs ideally extend Necas to a 7M AVVx8. Habs pick one of Demidov, Lindstrom, Catton or Eiserman at 8 and Luchanko or Alfons Freij at 29.
Buyouts
Retained Salary Transactions
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the CGY
Logo of the VAN
Logo of the COL
Logo of the MIN
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the SJS
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the WSH
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the CGY
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the NJD
Logo of the VAN
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the DET
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
24$83,500,000$78,810,416$1,170,000$4,035,000$4,689,584
Left WingCentreRight Wing
Logo of the Montreal Canadiens
$7,850,000$7,850,000
LW, RW
UFA - 8
$7,875,000$7,875,000
C
UFA - 7
$6,500,000$6,500,000
RW, LW
M-NTC, NMC
UFA - 4
$3,250,000$3,250,000
LW
UFA - 1
$2,900,000$2,900,000
C, LW
RFA - 4
$5,500,000$5,500,000
RW, LW
M-NTC
UFA - 4
$1,100,000$1,100,000
LW, RW
RFA - 2
$1,700,000$1,700,000
C
UFA - 2
$3,400,000$3,400,000
RW, LW
UFA - 2
$835,000$835,000 (Performance Bonus$57,500$58K)
LW, RW
RFA - 3
$775,000$775,000
C, RW
UFA - 1
$950,000$950,000 (Performance Bonus$3,500,000$4M)
RW, LW
RFA - 2
$812,500$812,500
LW, RW
UFA - 2
$775,000$775,000
RW, LW
RFA - 1
Logo of the Carolina Hurricanes
$3,000,000$3,000,000
RW
RFA - 1
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$4,875,000$4,875,000
LD
M-NTC
UFA - 3
$3,500,000$3,500,000
RD
UFA - 2
$1,000,000$1,000,000
G
UFA - 1
$1,400,000$1,400,000
LD/RD
RFA - 2
$890,000$890,000
G
RFA - 2
$867,500$867,500 (Performance Bonus$57,500$58K)
LD
RFA - 2
$766,667$766,667
RD
UFA - 2
$863,333$863,333 (Performance Bonus$420,000$420K)
LD/RD
RFA - 2
$828,333$828,333
LD/RD
RFA - 1
ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
$4,450,000$4,450,000
C
M-NTC
UFA - 2
$10,500,000$10,500,000
G
NMC
UFA - 3
$3,362,500$3,362,500
C, RW
RFA - 3
$762,500$762,500
RD
UFA - 1

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Apr. 8 at 9:19 a.m.
Nothing, if you are taking him then Catton and Dickinson are still available. Positionally we need one of those 2 much more and if you value Iginla over them then we are getting a hell of a good prospect regardless
OldNYIfan liked this.
Apr. 8 at 9:24 a.m.
Jesus Christ Is King
If 3 D are already gone in the top 5 , sure
Otherwise if its a Forward heavy start that would be Self Destructive of MTL given they're apparently higher on him then most of the other forwards outside Lidstrom and Catton
OldNYIfan liked this.
Apr. 8 at 9:29 a.m.
Personally, I take Iginla over allowing another team to take him. Imagine a top 6 with 3 powerforwards (Slaf, Iginla and Roy), a sniper (Caufield) and 2 very good play makers (Suzuki and Dach) plus a top 4 of Guhle-Maillouc, Hutson-Reinbacher, is that really worth passing up for a late pick?
OldNYIfan and patnaisnyquil liked this.
Apr. 8 at 9:42 a.m.
Quoting: Campabee
Personally, I take Iginla over allowing another team to take him. Imagine a top 6 with 3 powerforwards (Slaf, Iginla and Roy), a sniper (Caufield) and 2 very good play makers (Suzuki and Dach) plus a top 4 of Guhle-Maillouc, Hutson-Reinbacher, is that really worth passing up for a late pick?

roy a power forward? hmmm.. not sure about that.
Billy316 liked this.
Apr. 8 at 9:43 a.m.
I think your return for Necas is in the realm of fair/reasonable. However, canes keep him if he's signing for 7M or less. I think 7-7.5 would be about as far as Carolina would be willing to go where as I could see Necas wanting 8+; If that scenario plays out, then you can see a situation where Canes would move him. I think all these proposals where he's extending for 6-7 are unrealistic simply because if that's the cost he's likely staying in Carolina.
Apr. 8 at 9:48 a.m.
Lets Get Kraken
The notion that the Canes will have a hard time signing Necas is so untrue it’s funny. They have the cap space to comfortably sign Jarvis, Guentzel, and Necas to long term extensions if they want to.

That being said, unless a team is giving up actual quality pieces, Canes aren’t moving Necas. That proposal simply isn’t enough.
Apr. 8 at 10:11 a.m.
Pop Pop
I'm sure they'd love iginla if it fell that way but the aren't rearranging the draft for him
Apr. 8 at 10:36 a.m.
KFTW

I gotta think the Sens want Iginla, Catton or Parekh too
Campabee liked this.
Apr. 8 at 10:43 a.m.
Quoting: evelutions2
The notion that the Canes will have a hard time signing Necas is so untrue it’s funny. They have the cap space to comfortably sign Jarvis, Guentzel, and Necas to long term extensions if they want to.

That being said, unless a team is giving up actual quality pieces, Canes aren’t moving Necas. That proposal simply isn’t enough.

Sure you can sign all of Guntzel, Necas and Jarvis quite easily but all are getting in the 7.5-10 mil range so let's say 8 for Guntzel, 7.5 for Necas and 9 for Jarvis that's 24.5 of your 30 mil. How are you resigning Teravainen, Pesce and Skeji? You won't might be able to sign 1 of them for the 5.5 mil left over bit not all of them and to top it off you still need to sign 3 D men since Pesce, Skeji and ADA are all FA's. Not so easy now is it?
patnaisnyquil liked this.
Apr. 8 at 10:47 a.m.
Quoting: csick
I gotta think the Sens want Iginla, Catton or Parekh too

I want Habs to take Iginla or Lindstrom with their 1st pick and Parascak with the Jets pick, go get some offense in this draft and see what sticks. Our D and G pipeline is looking great
csick liked this.
Apr. 8 at 10:49 a.m.
KFTW
I want Habs to take Iginla or Lindstrom with their 1st pick and Parascak with the Jets pick, go get some offense in this draft and see what sticks. Our D and G pipeline is looking great

Yeah I agree with those selections would be great for Montreal.

Or draft Iginla and trade for Zegras and you have a loaded top 6
Campabee liked this.
Apr. 8 at 10:59 a.m.

But then you are losing Pesce, Skjei and DeAngelo. Brent Burns is already 39, Orlov and Slavin are both UFAs next year and Slavin is gonna get a bag. Still no goalie unless Kochektov steps up, and you still need a back-up.

Canes will need to be creative and other teams wont just help them. I think it's fair value for Necas, Canes are gonna have to rely on young players like Morrow, Nadeau and Nikishin, but they also need to bring in new bodies if they wan't to remain a contender. We all thought Guentzel would bring in a nice package, yet is was kinda underwhelming because Pittsburgh didnt have much leverage. Here, the Canes have at least two young NHL players and they can get a nice prospect like Parascak at 24.

Maybe they do decide to sacrifice (a lot) of defense, I'm just not sure its the way to go for them.
Apr. 8 at 11:15 a.m.
Lets Get Kraken
Sure you can sign all of Guntzel, Necas and Jarvis quite easily but all are getting in the 7.5-10 mil range so let's say 8 for Guntzel, 7.5 for Necas and 9 for Jarvis that's 24.5 of your 30 mil. How are you resigning Teravainen, Pesce and Skeji? You won't might be able to sign 1 of them for the 5.5 mil left over bit not all of them and to top it off you still need to sign 3 D men since Pesce, Skeji and ADA are all FA's. Not so easy now is it?

Quoting: patnaisnyquil
But then you are losing Pesce, Skjei and DeAngelo. Brent Burns is already 39, Orlov and Slavin are both UFAs next year and Slavin is gonna get a bag. Still no goalie unless Kochektov steps up, and you still need a back-up.

Canes will need to be creative and other teams wont just help them. I think it's fair value for Necas, Canes are gonna have to rely on young players like Morrow, Nadeau and Nikishin, but they also need to bring in new bodies if they wan't to remain a contender. We all thought Guentzel would bring in a nice package, yet is was kinda underwhelming because Pittsburgh didnt have much leverage. Here, the Canes have at least two young NHL players and they can get a nice prospect like Parascak at 24.

Maybe they do decide to sacrifice (a lot) of defense, I'm just not sure its the way to go for them.

At the end of the day, Turbo, Skjei, Pesce, TDA can all be replaced. Worst case scenario, Jarvis can be bridged which would free up a bit more cap space. Goalie is of no issue with Freddie, PK, and Martin. If a contender is incapable of replacing, what are at the end of the day, support pieces, they probably shouldn’t be a contender. Whilst losing Skjei and Pesce in particular will hurt, Orlov and Chatfield will help mitigate that loss until Nikishin and Morrow are ready for more substantial workloads. As much as it seems like doom and gloom for the Canes, they are in a much better position than people seem to think.

So there is no reason for the Canes to take a half assed package for Necas. If someone wants him, they are meet the Canes demands or they aren’t getting Necas, simple as that.
Apr. 8 at 11:17 a.m.
Quoting: csick
Yeah I agree with those selections would be great for Montreal.

Or draft Iginla and trade for Zegras and you have a loaded top 6

Or even trade for PLD

Anyway you slice it we desperately need to strengthen the top 6, everywhere else is coming together nicely over the next 2 years
csick liked this.
Apr. 8 at 12:09 p.m.
At the end of the day, Turbo, Skjei, Pesce, TDA can all be replaced. Worst case scenario, Jarvis can be bridged which would free up a bit more cap space. Goalie is of no issue with Freddie, PK, and Martin. If a contender is incapable of replacing, what are at the end of the day, support pieces, they probably shouldn’t be a contender. Whilst losing Skjei and Pesce in particular will hurt, Orlov and Chatfield will help mitigate that loss until Nikishin and Morrow are ready for more substantial workloads. As much as it seems like doom and gloom for the Canes, they are in a much better position than people seem to think.

So there is no reason for the Canes to take a half assed package for Necas. If someone wants him, they are meet the Canes demands or they aren’t getting Necas, simple as that.

If I was the Canes I'd move Necas in a one for one trade for a top 4 D, only problem is there isnt much quality defenseman with low contracts around the league. Someone like Andersson or Weegar in Calgary could be good targets, I just dont think the Canes would want Matheson from the Habs and I dont think the Habs are ready to give up Ghule. Canes could also trade Winnipeg's 1st for a middle 6 forward, so they get forward at depth, on D and in the crease while resigning Jarvis, Guentzel, maybe Skjei and/or Teravainen. I really don't think they can keep all 3 of Necas, Guentzel and Jarvis.

The way I see it, it's important to accumulate some assets if you want to have the flexibility of managing all that. I dont see how Jarvis takes a bridge, he has earned his money. You don't have much assets to move and if you're tight against the cap again next year, how do you resign Slavin?
Apr. 8 at 2:54 p.m.
Edited Apr. 8 at 3:00 p.m.
No problem if you take Iginla before us that means at least one of Lindstrom, Yakemchuk, Dickinson or Catton should be available for us to take instead. Most Flames fans would agree at least 2 of those guys should be taken instead of Tij anyhow though we don't all agree on which 2.

Or if your Habs could win a few games they'd probably pass us in the standings and we'd be picking before them anyhow.
Apr. 8 at 5:44 p.m.
Quoting: MoxNix
No problem if you take Iginla before us that means at least one of Lindstrom, Yakemchuk, Dickinson or Catton should be available for us to take instead. Most Flames fans would agree at least 2 of those guys should be taken instead of Tij anyhow though we don't all agree on which 2.

Or if your Habs could win a few games they'd probably pass us in the standings and we'd be picking before them anyhow.

Chances are both Habs and Flames get a couple of points until the end of the season, realistically Habs will be in the 6th to 8th spot and Flames in the 8th to 10th-11th spot. Yakemchuck may be there at 10 but not there other ones...
Apr. 8 at 6:23 p.m.
Quoting: patnaisnyquil
Chances are both Habs and Flames get a couple of points until the end of the season, realistically Habs will be in the 6th to 8th spot and Flames in the 8th to 10th-11th spot. Yakemchuck may be there at 10 but not there other ones...

I expect the Flames will be picking 7th or 8th. No sooner than 5th and no later than 10th though the extremes of that range are very unlikely.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll