SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/NHL

2023-2024 NHL Discussion Thread #6: The Quest for Lord Stanley's Cup

May 24 at 4:16 p.m.
Quoting: kurvaux
It's apparently been GM by committee for a while now, with Tulsky and Darren Yorke making a lot of the calls. Tulsky has been behind a lot of the Canes drafting success so for that aspect I'm not too concerned. Other organizations have been trying to poach Tulsky away, so the Canes may have let Waddell walk in order to create space for Tulsky to be their full time GM.

Tulsky is kind of an interesting story. He has a PhD in Chemistry from Harvard. He started out as a Flyers fan blogger in the early 2010s, got hired as an analyst in 2014, worked his way up to Assistant GM and now he's a full GM of an NHL team. Who knows, maybe the GM of a cup winning team in 2040 is posting ****ty Marner trade proposals on this website right now.

Quoting: McGruff
Yeah, terrible timing for contract dates by the organization (should have amended dates prior 110%) esp. w/ draft on "short final"!!

Quoting: A_Habs_fan
I believe Waddell's contract was up, not necessarily odd assuming he/Carolina wanted to move on

Waddell gone, Tulsky interim Gm (probably will get the full time job)

Seems like he has been filling the role as a mentor to those guys really well. Columbus is probably looking for something similiar if they were to bring aboard someone like Rick Nash in an AGM role
McGruff liked this.
May 24 at 5:27 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Quoting: CantStopWontStop
I was thinking Hronek could look good in Toronto but now today Vancouver fans are all simultaneously pointing out he hid from the media all year and seemed petulant this one time he was drug in front of them.

So he’s probably not a good fit for Toronto.

I don’t blame these dudes for not liking interviews and stuff but for big bucks top pairing d money you gotta go do that and not be whiny about it. It’s just hard to look at and think; yeah, I really want that in my leadership core. Bouwemeister was about a perfect example of dude who seemed to hate it but went and did it occasionally and it was fine, never whiny, always kind and interesting, and he was helped that his market would totally leave him alone, 3 months passing with him avoiding the camera.

Hronek gonna end up in some mid tier franchise I guess. Columbus defense revamp number 8. Utah? Maybe Utah. It would be interesting to chart the careers of guys traded by Steve Y. I’m lazy.

He wants way to much money and he didnt look great the second half of the season.

Last thing we should want is a guy asking for 8.5m when he aint worth it
CantStopWontStop liked this.
May 24 at 10:49 p.m.
Can we stop with the Necas for Matheson trades please. There is absolutely zero chance Matheson replicates the ridiculous offensive season he just had plus he’s 30 years old
May 24 at 10:57 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Quoting: Canesfan21_
Can we stop with the Necas for Matheson trades please. There is absolutely zero chance Matheson replicates the ridiculous offensive season he just had plus he’s 30 years old

Canes in general have Orlov and Slavin on the left arguably what they need is a RD considering Pesce and Chatfield are UFA's leaving just burns

Slavin-Burns
Orlov-?
?-?
May 24 at 11:04 p.m.
Quoting: aadoyle
Canes in general have Orlov and Slavin on the left arguably what they need is a RD considering Pesce and Chatfield are UFA's leaving just burns

Slavin-Burns
Orlov-?
?-?

Scott Morrow and bring back Chatfield
May 24 at 11:06 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Scott Morrow and bring back Chatfield

Projections have Chatfield at a contract that to me you move on from as near 4m for him is a tad to much for him

Would also be a bit hesitant to rush Morrow.
May 24 at 11:06 p.m.
Quoting: aadoyle
Projections have Chatfield at a contract that to me you move on from as near 4m for him is a tad to much for him

Yeah I don’t see him getting that much nor do I see him playing as well outside Carolina’s system
May 24 at 11:08 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Yeah I don’t see him getting that much nor do I see him playing as well outside Carolina’s system

Yah never know teams get fooled and throw crazy money at these guys

Det gave Holl 3.4m to sit in the pressbox
May 24 at 11:30 p.m.
League did what it could to get the rangers to tie the series. They were completely outmatched this game
Rolfadinho and edeangel84 liked this.
May 24 at 11:52 p.m.
Quoting: Db1899
League did what it could to get the rangers to tie the series. They were completely outmatched this game

Yeah. Florida is the favorite still for good reason.
Db1899 liked this.
May 25 at 10:49 a.m.
SHL NJD GM

I do agree that Necas for Matheson trades are weird, however, Matheson was on a 58 point pace in 22-23 and had 62 this past year, Matheson can replicate his success, especially if he continues to be trusted with the 1D time he's getting in Montreal
May 25 at 11:04 a.m.
I do agree that Necas for Matheson trades are weird, however, Matheson was on a 58 point pace in 22-23 and had 62 this past year, Matheson can replicate his success, especially if he continues to be trusted with the 1D time he's getting in Montreal

They should definitely trade him now since his value is at an all time high, though I don’t know if they want to go with basically all kids on the blue line
May 25 at 11:14 a.m.
SHL NJD GM
They should definitely trade him now since his value is at an all time high, though I don’t know if they want to go with basically all kids on the blue line

Montreal is likely keeping Matheson since him and Savard are the only vets (okay technically we have Kovacevic who's 26 but he has 2 NHL seasons under his belt). I think Savard might be gone at the TDL but Matheson is likely finishing his contract in MTL, there's no way we're running an all young blue line, that's just a recipe for disaster
Canesfan21_ and HockeyScotty liked this.
May 25 at 11:48 a.m.
Montreal is likely keeping Matheson since him and Savard are the only vets (okay technically we have Kovacevic who's 26 but he has 2 NHL seasons under his belt). I think Savard might be gone at the TDL but Matheson is likely finishing his contract in MTL, there's no way we're running an all young blue line, that's just a recipe for disaster

Will you trade us back Justin Barron then since he's buried on the depth chart and we'll send you Oskar Olausson?

Habs have top 5 in the league blueline depth as far as "futures" are concerned. Xhekaj vs Struble for 7th d-man next year if Mailloux and Hutson both make the team as expected. Barron only has a shot if Savard is traded but then it is just a placeholder until Reinbacher arrives.

Konyushkov, Norlinder, and Engström have a lot of talent to leapfrog or push to get roles in the future; but contract timing might help them down the road.

Who do you think is going to be the 2nd pair: Hutson-Savard or Guhle-Savard?
May 25 at 12:39 p.m.
JimmyPaek

Gary is all about growing the game and non-traditional markets… but we all know he wants his hometown team and his superstar to meet up in the finals.
Db1899 liked this.
May 25 at 12:43 p.m.
What is the value of Anthony Cirelli in a trade do you think?

26 years old (will turn 27 during off-season), 7 x $6,250,000 contract remaining. Consistent 0.5 ppg player with high defensive acumen (2 time top 5 Selke voting).

Is he worth multiple 1st round picks in a trade?
May 25 at 1:35 p.m.
SHL NJD GM
Quoting: HockeyScotty
Will you trade us back Justin Barron then since he's buried on the depth chart and we'll send you Oskar Olausson?

Habs have top 5 in the league blueline depth as far as "futures" are concerned. Xhekaj vs Struble for 7th d-man next year if Mailloux and Hutson both make the team as expected. Barron only has a shot if Savard is traded but then it is just a placeholder until Reinbacher arrives.

Konyushkov, Norlinder, and Engström have a lot of talent to leapfrog or push to get roles in the future; but contract timing might help them down the road.

Who do you think is going to be the 2nd pair: Hutson-Savard or Guhle-Savard?

I think Guhle, Savard, Matheson, Xhekaj all stay
1 of Hutson, Mailloux, Reinbacher make it
Which leaves 2 of Harris, Barron, Struble, Kovacevic to make it

I think something like
Matheson-Guhle
Hutson-Savard
Struble/Xhekaj-Harris
Struble/Xhekaj

With Barron and Kovacevic traded/in the minors and Mailloux, Reinbacher in the minors, whoever out of Mailloux/Reinbacher does better gets called up when Savard gets moved at the TDL.

It’s going to be very interesting to see how Hughes handles it
HockeyScotty liked this.
May 25 at 2:57 p.m.
Leafs going to Leafs

Quoting: Rolfadinho
Yeah. Florida is the favorite still for good reason.

TBF, that Panthers goal was off an absolute phantom call...

Ironic that it's coming from a Leafs fan, but I just think the refs have been brutal in general and not directed towards a certain team...
May 25 at 2:58 p.m.
Leafs going to Leafs
Also, a nice surprise is Lafreniere this season, really stepping it up and contributing should be nice to see from Rangers fans
May 25 at 3:42 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Quoting: HockeyScotty
What is the value of Anthony Cirelli in a trade do you think?

26 years old (will turn 27 during off-season), 7 x $6,250,000 contract remaining. Consistent 0.5 ppg player with high defensive acumen (2 time top 5 Selke voting).

Is he worth multiple 1st round picks in a trade?

Makes no sense for TBL to trade him just to keep the older Stamkos

He's a good 2c, good PKer and with the limited prospects and nice contract is perfect for TBL rn
May 25 at 10:49 p.m.
Dallas are some kind of robot comic villain. The longer they play you the more likely they'll beat you. You gotta put them down early. Edmonton in 5 or Dallas in 6/7
yikes liked this.
May 25 at 10:57 p.m.
Stars Dynasty Begins
Quoting: Rangsey
Dallas are some kind of robot comic villain. The longer they play you the more likely they'll beat you. You gotta put them down early. Edmonton in 5 or Dallas in 6/7

This is Dallas playing without Roope Hintz too...
May 25 at 11:46 p.m.
Leafs going to Leafs
If the Leafs disapeared from the face of the earth tomorrow, I would have my favorite team be the Dallas Stars...

Man, they are so fun to watch... Rooting for them
kdawg32086 liked this.
May 25 at 11:55 p.m.
Quoting: kdawg32086
This is Dallas playing without Roope Hintz too...

Hintz coming back? I miss him.
May 26 at 8:56 a.m.
Stars Dynasty Begins
Quoting: Rangsey
Hintz coming back? I miss him.

Was a game-time decision for game 2, so assuming he plays in game 3.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll