SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/NHL

2023-2024 NHL Discussion Thread #6: The Quest for Lord Stanley's Cup

May 19 at 4:59 p.m.
Im guessin Philly’s ownership had an ordeal to get this done. Good for them to cross the finish line.

Given the overall climate, doubt that any rights head the North American direction without substantial lubrication.

I wonder if we see a leash put on Torts. Or muzzle. Or something.
May 19 at 6:48 p.m.
WentWughes
Brock Boeser will not be available for the Canucks in game seven on Monday. If they advance, his status moving forward is unclear.
May 19 at 7:21 p.m.
Quoting: KSIxSKULLS
Brock Boeser will not be available for the Canucks in game seven on Monday. If they advance, his status moving forward is unclear.

Blood clotting issue. Really scary, but thankfully not life threatening
KSIxSKULLS and yikes liked this.
May 20 at 12:47 p.m.
Leafs fans:

In looking ahead at 2024-25 roster construction/depth charts I noticed that they pipeline of prospects at forward is pretty good (Minten, Cowan, Grebyonkin, Hirvonen, Voit, and Quillan) but few potential roster spots open for them next year, especially if Domi is re-signed; but the D looks like a lot of holes and only 1 NHL ready prospect (if that) potentially (Niemela) or is the feeling that Weber and Kokkonen can make that jump? Which UFA D is most likely to get re-signed (Lyubushkin, Edmundson, Brodie, Giordano)?

If not, do you foresee a trade from position of strength (F) for some D and or G help? Which F prospect(s) would they part with?
May 20 at 1:35 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Quoting: HockeyScotty
Leafs fans:

In looking ahead at 2024-25 roster construction/depth charts I noticed that they pipeline of prospects at forward is pretty good (Minten, Cowan, Grebyonkin, Hirvonen, Voit, and Quillan) but few potential roster spots open for them next year, especially if Domi is re-signed; but the D looks like a lot of holes and only 1 NHL ready prospect (if that) potentially (Niemela) or is the feeling that Weber and Kokkonen can make that jump? Which UFA D is most likely to get re-signed (Lyubushkin, Edmundson, Brodie, Giordano)?

If not, do you foresee a trade from position of strength (F) for some D and or G help? Which F prospect(s) would they part with?

Mattinen will probs be the #7 D in TOR

And I dont see prospects being traded rn considering its more likely Marner is being dealt
May 20 at 6:46 p.m.
Torontos 2 biggest needs are finishing and a top pair RHD to play with Reilly.

For finishing they should target low risk high upside players like sprong, kaliyev.

For RHD, it’s complicated. They don’t have any available assets that will bring in a cost controlled top pair RHD in their prime. They should try to pry Pietrangelo or weegar
NorthernLeafsFan05 liked this.
May 20 at 8:00 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Edited May 20 at 10:05 p.m.
Quoting: Db1899

For finishing they should target low risk high upside players like sprong, kaliyev.

For RHD, it’s complicated. They don’t have any available assets that will bring in a cost controlled top pair RHD in their prime. They should try to pry Pietrangelo or weegar

Its not finishing thats the issue its scoring those greasy goals. Kaliyev aint whats needed

Brad said it best in his presser and even Keefe eluded to it in the Amazon doc. Were not scoring those unsexy goals

Guys like Mangiapane are who TOR should go for guys who are not afraid to get to those tough area's. As all through the BOS series the one guy trying to do that was Bertuzzi. Everyone else was on the perimeter. If the big boyz grew a pair and drove the net or were not afraid to get to those area's this would not be an issue.

They also lacked an actual third line something that should be looked at this summer to. Replicating Van's wouldnt be a bad idea

For RD partner for Rielly no need to trade. Rielly does best with stay at home defensive Dman. And with the playoffs he's currently having go get Chris Tanev. Local boy, is the type of D Rielly thrives with, Brad knows him, and should not cost a tonne to sign

https://twitter.com/DimFilipovic/status/1791715627465379877

One not mentioned is find a starter for next year. Woll's injury history is a concern and I dont expect him to hit the 40 game mark. The goalie market sucks this summer and IMO they need to go get a legit guy

So basically to sum up these be the actual needs

1. Get guys who can score greasy goals but who can also contribute in other area's (PP, PK, etc)

2. Create an actual third line

3. Find a starter/tandem guy
Saskleaf liked this.
May 20 at 9:03 p.m.
Saskoiler for now
Quoting: Db1899

I wouldn’t say finishing is what they need, more they need playoff scoring. If you look at the last 4-5 years, their problem has not been defence, but offence. They need guys who can score in the playoffs, in crunch time. As for who they should target, I don’t really have a wish list or anything but I do know I want playoff scoring

A RHD for Rielly would be nice for sure but people overrate how much they need one. It’s not their biggest need. If I had to choose between getting a proper starting goalie or a proper top pairing RHD for the leafs, I’m picking the starting goalie easily.
aadoyle liked this.
May 20 at 10:06 p.m.
If the offseason passes and Vancouver thinks Hronek is a question mark, I think he’d look real good in Toronto.
May 20 at 10:28 p.m.
Nice no-show Vancouver.
May 20 at 10:55 p.m.
I make typos
there is nothing else like the ping of the post when Bouchard rips a clapper from the blueline. really really wish Holland gave him a 6 by 6 last summer as he is gonna be very expensive soon
yikes liked this.
May 20 at 11:37 p.m.
C’mon Vancouver
May 20 at 11:54 p.m.
I make typos
That was the most emotionally stressful Oilers series I have ever watched. I feel bad The Hockey Guy don't if there is a worse way to lose a game
May 21 at 12:00 a.m.
LIVIN ON A PRAYER
LIVIN ON A PRAYER!

I hate playoff hockey. I am not built for it. Now to hopefully avoid a proper tubthumping from Dallas.
oilersguy and KSIxSKULLS liked this.
May 21 at 1:46 a.m.
Hakuna Matata
Calling it now Dallas vs. NYR SCF

NYR has been the underdog every series due to president trophy curse

DAL meanwhile has beat the top 2 favs to win and may take the third guy out next
CantStopWontStop liked this.
May 21 at 2:07 a.m.
Quoting: aadoyle
Calling it now Dallas vs. NYR SCF

NYR has been the underdog every series due to president trophy curse

DAL meanwhile has beat the top 2 favs to win and may take the third guy out next

I'm voting for the biggest increase to HRR: Edmonton vs New York. Get as much $$$$$ as we can to get cap up as much as possible in the future.
yikes and gary_ liked this.
May 21 at 2:10 a.m.
Hakuna Matata
I'm voting for the biggest increase to HRR: Edmonton vs New York. Get as much $$$$$ as we can to get cap up as much as possible in the future.

Idk Dal has gone through tougher hurdles and is more balanced

Chris Tanev has also been a pest to EIchel and MacKinnon. Its nuts how good he's been these playoffs

And with NYR being the highest grousing team the $$$$$ will come flowing either way and DAL is no slouch either
May 21 at 2:20 a.m.
Hakuna Matata
Kind of funny and sad the best trade partner for Marner is Ottawa

Do the divisional rivals want to help each other out I dont think so lul
May 21 at 7:09 a.m.
SHL NJD GM
Well, Vancouver apart from Silovs didn’t really show up for most of the game, unreal playoff run by Silovs.

Now please, someone eliminate NYR, I couldn’t care less about the rest, just no NYR cup
May 21 at 8:11 a.m.
Leafs going to Leafs
Leafs fans:

I think Marner gets dealt for 1, if not 2 defensemen tbh... And I see Libby or Eddy being resigned, but I feel like Brad's got a plan that will take him too long to execute...
May 21 at 8:13 a.m.
Leafs going to Leafs
Looks like the Canucks are continuing the Leafs tradition of: team haven't done anything since expansion in 19__ and now having issue with Game 7s that started in the early 2010s with Boston...
May 21 at 9:49 a.m.
CELEBRINI IS A SHARK
Quoting: BeterChiarelli
LIVIN ON A PRAYER!

I hate playoff hockey. I am not built for it. Now to hopefully avoid a proper tubthumping from Dallas.

How to avoid a proper tubthumping from the Dallas Stars
⭐️🌟💫✨
A Yikes Guide:

A) McDavid and Leon Master-Class ft. special guests :
- Bouchard and Skinner

B) Roll over and die quietly in the night.

C) Don’t even fly to Dallas.
BeterChiarelli and A_Habs_fan liked this.
May 21 at 10:42 a.m.
Quoting: aadoyle
Idk Dal has gone through tougher hurdles and is more balanced

Chris Tanev has also been a pest to EIchel and MacKinnon. Its nuts how good he's been these playoffs

And with NYR being the highest grousing team the $$$$$ will come flowing either way and DAL is no slouch either

Tanev was basically a 2nd goalie in the series vs Avs. He blocked so many key scoring chance shots it was a true difference maker.
May 21 at 10:55 a.m.
I kept it to myself cause I didn’t want to jinx him.

I did not think Quinn Hughes would translate super well in the playoffs. He just seemed like that. Like he’d be good still but unable to do what he does. I just didn’t say it cause it felt rude. Good thing cause that is far from the truth

He def overcame the differences in playoff hockey. Future of Vancouver is bright, he’s going to get so much better as he finishes up the physiological side of development.
Db1899 liked this.
May 21 at 10:56 a.m.
Quoting: Leafsfan98
I think Marner gets dealt for 1, if not 2 defensemen tbh... And I see Libby or Eddy being resigned, but I feel like Brad's got a plan that will take him too long to execute...

Anybody on the radar? Especially looking at top pair guys to put with Rielly

Trade targets:
Seth Jones
Colton Parayko
I wonder about Adam Larsson in Seattle and Braden Schneider in NYR (RFA) too

Free agents aren't bad this year (depending upon who re-signs with current team):
Brett Pesce
Brandon Montour
Chris Tanev
Matt Roy

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll