SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/GM Game 2017-18

2017-18 GM Game - Rules Thread

Nov. 10, 2017 at 12:54 p.m.
Quoting: AK_tune
Taking the twitter discussion here: should we slightly revise the way that the draft order / lottery should be determined? This has nothing to do with power rankings or determining manager of the year, or whatever.

I don't think the changes below would change the strategy that any player has been using thus far.

UFA Signings - they don't matter this year since there was no offseason. And since the waiver priority rules over signing any FA that were still around after 9/15, it shouldn't affect draft position.

Trade Ratings - I think the main object of the game is to make good trades. If you improve your team, whether it is short-term or long, you should be rewarded. The team with the best trade ratings should get a score of 1 and the score should be multiplied by 60%

Win-Now Roster - the BOE should rank teams in order of best 23-man roster to worst. The best team should get a score of 31 and the score should be multiplied by 40%.

The team with the lowest score would draft 1st (or have the best lottery odds, if we are doing a lottery)

With this approach, the teams that put together great teams will have exactly that, great teams. And the teams that make the right moves, but didn't have a good situation to begin with are rewarded with a better draft position.

I'd love to hear thoughts on this. If people are onboard we can bring it to the BOE's attention. Full disclosure, I'm not sure how different this is from the current draft formula.

I think the best way to be fair to all teams is to have a best of both worlds scenario. Basing it solely off the GM game isn't fair IMO . My Coyotes suck IRL but since I'm a competent GM I won't be able to draft a better pick as a result. My roster isn't that different than the IRL one. In fact it's probably worse...

Honestly I think if we are going to do a formula of some sort, it should be based on the teams quality of players and overall fit. (How many quality players at each position and how many holes the team has). A GM may have made bad value trades but improved his immediate team therefore giving his roster a higher chance to win now even though the trade in the long term/mid term is bad. Example: adding an expensive rental. Give up a 1st rounder would be foolish but what if that player scored a lot in the playoffs and highly contributed to the team winning a cup? We don't have an In game playoff to base anything on so we can only use IRL events. Unfortunately that's not necessarily fair either. OEL may be exactly what the Habs need to win a cup this year but we'll never know because IRL he's staying in Arizona and they always suck.

That way it's being based on the quality of the GMs roster and its potential to finish higher in the standings which is in many cases leads to how good the team actually is. In order to be unbiased, it could be voted upon by all the GMs themselves. The BOE could then adjust a couple picks accordingly if some seem be off due to illogical choices.

John Chayka is a good GM, can't fault him for his team not performing and award him a lousy pick. Same should apply here. MB has made some bad moves and we don't see Bettman awarding him McDavid or Matthews.
KSIxSKULLS liked this.
Nov. 10, 2017 at 1:51 p.m.
Emotionally in 2018
Quoting: F50marco
Quoting: AK_tune
Taking the twitter discussion here: should we slightly revise the way that the draft order / lottery should be determined? This has nothing to do with power rankings or determining manager of the year, or whatever.

I don't think the changes below would change the strategy that any player has been using thus far.

UFA Signings - they don't matter this year since there was no offseason. And since the waiver priority rules over signing any FA that were still around after 9/15, it shouldn't affect draft position.

Trade Ratings - I think the main object of the game is to make good trades. If you improve your team, whether it is short-term or long, you should be rewarded. The team with the best trade ratings should get a score of 1 and the score should be multiplied by 60%

Win-Now Roster - the BOE should rank teams in order of best 23-man roster to worst. The best team should get a score of 31 and the score should be multiplied by 40%.

The team with the lowest score would draft 1st (or have the best lottery odds, if we are doing a lottery)

With this approach, the teams that put together great teams will have exactly that, great teams. And the teams that make the right moves, but didn't have a good situation to begin with are rewarded with a better draft position.

I'd love to hear thoughts on this. If people are onboard we can bring it to the BOE's attention. Full disclosure, I'm not sure how different this is from the current draft formula.

I think the best way to be fair to all teams is to have a best of both worlds scenario. Basing it solely off the GM game isn't fair IMO . My Coyotes suck IRL but since I'm a competent GM I won't be able to draft a better pick as a result. My roster isn't that different than the IRL one. In fact it's probably worse...

Honestly I think if we are going to do a formula of some sort, it should be based on the teams quality of players and overall fit. (How many quality players at each position and how many holes the team has). A GM may have made bad value trades but improved his immediate team therefore giving his roster a higher chance to win now even though the trade in the long term/mid term is bad. Example: adding an expensive rental. Give up a 1st rounder would be foolish but what if that player scored a lot in the playoffs and highly contributed to the team winning a cup? We don't have an In game playoff to base anything on so we can only use IRL events. Unfortunately that's not necessarily fair either. OEL may be exactly what the Habs need to win a cup this year but we'll never know because IRL he's staying in Arizona and they always suck.

That way it's being based on the quality of the GMs roster and its potential to finish higher in the standings which is in many cases leads to how good the team actually is. In order to be unbiased, it could be voted upon by all the GMs themselves. The BOE could then adjust a couple picks accordingly if some seem be off due to illogical choices.

John Chayka is a good GM, can't fault him for his team not performing and award him a lousy pick. Same should apply here. MB has made some bad moves and we don't see Bettman awarding him McDavid or Matthews.

If we're trying to keep this game as real life as possible, have the BoE try and rank the rosters 1-31, and then do a draft lottery from there if they want to.

I think the BoE should be able to award a "Stanley Cup" of sorts, so GMs have some incentive to make a competitive roster rather than just tanking for Dahlin. Whatever the "winning formula" was, it needs to be separate and let teams going different directions. Have some sort of award for the best rebuilding team, best rebuilder-on-the-fly, best win-now, etc. A team would have to be going a very specific direction to "win".
KSIxSKULLS liked this.
Jan. 11, 2018 at 10:56 a.m.
V5 PHI GM and BOG
Can we resign players to contract extensions mid season? Just asking because I have 15 players that need it lol.
Jan. 11, 2018 at 12:51 p.m.
V3 Canucks GM, BOG
Quoting: GronkNation
Can we resign players to contract extensions mid season? Just asking because I have 15 players that need it lol.

We're working on a plan for UFA and RFA extensions within the next couple months
Jan. 11, 2018 at 1:28 p.m.
@F50marco

Re: Draft Lottery

There used to be a model that would take into account almost all available information and then output the point results, among other things. If we are able to get that back up and running through lobbying, that would be used to determine "win now".

We are considering modifying the lottery as to what the exact percentages are, but we will get a better grasp of what they are hopefully soon.

Also, the Winner of the GM is the winner. If there are to be other accolades and superlatives, I would support that as well, but note that there is only one, true, winner.
Jan. 11, 2018 at 6:52 p.m.
V5 PHI GM and BOG
Quoting: TonyStrecher
We're working on a plan for UFA and RFA extensions within the next couple months

Ok Thanks
Jan. 11, 2018 at 7:34 p.m.
May contain nuts
Quoting: phillyjabroni
@F50marco

There used to be a model that would take into account almost all available information and then output the point results, among other things. If we are able to get that back up and running through lobbying, that would be used to determine "win now".

We are considering modifying the lottery as to what the exact percentages are, but we will get a better grasp of what they are hopefully soon.

Also, the Winner of the GM is the winner. If there are to be other accolades and superlatives, I would support that as well, but note that there is only one, true, winner.

Well, the best GM =/= the best team. I'd like to see a Stanley Cup playoffs of some sort, if it's not too much work for us.
Jan. 11, 2018 at 7:47 p.m.
Quoting: Icegirl
Well, the best GM =/= the best team. I'd like to see a Stanley Cup playoffs of some sort, if it's not too much work for us.

Should totally be played on NHL 18 simulators
PrincessChloe liked this.
Jan. 11, 2018 at 8:46 p.m.
Quoting: jmac490
Should totally be played on NHL 18 simulators

full roster control, no injuries
Jan. 12, 2018 at 11:04 a.m.
Quoting: phillyjabroni
@F50marco

Well I started this season with the preconceived notion that it was going to be a certain way. One of the reasons why the Anaheim deal was made. Hoping that pick would end up being low. On the flip side, my Arizona team is arguably the worst team in the league IRL and I've only technically made it worse so from that perspective i think my ARI pick should also be low.

I guess at the end of the day if I end up with the 20th and 27th pick in the draft, i think its pretty unfair at this point. I'm expecting through pretty much any way you can possibly determine the draft that at least one of my picks will be a low one.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll