Forums/Armchair-GM

So what was talked about in Geneva

Created by: PuckPal
Team: 2018-19 Toronto Maple Leafs
Initial Creation Date: Oct. 19, 2018
Published: Oct. 19, 2018
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
So the talk is Dubas took a little trip to Geneva to talk to Nylander face to face. So in my opinion it was 1 of 2 things happened. One he told nylander the honest situation and that the leafs want him but they can only pay for what is proven skill wise not potential. Or he asked how much he wants to be a leaf and if your can't bend a bit that they will have no choice but to trade him. Now this may not be related but last night NYR, CAR, NJ, TBL had 2 scouts at the game which is more accessing a talant for a trade than just a wierd coincidence. So if nylander has told Dubas that he no longer wants to play for TOR than this is what could happen. So i know most of these trades are an overpay but if this becomes a bidding war which is exactly what the leafs are probably trying to cause then teams will want have to overpay.
Trades
NYR
  1. Holl, Justin
  2. Johnsson, Andreas
  3. 2019 2nd round pick (TOR)
Additional Details:
Nylander Rights
CAR
    Nylander
    Johnsson
    TBL
      Nylander
      Johnsson
      Holl
      Retained Salary Transactions
      DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
      Logo of the TOR
      Logo of the TOR
      Logo of the TOR
      Logo of the STL
      Logo of the TOR
      Logo of the TOR
      Logo of the DAL
      Logo of the TOR
      Logo of the TOR
      Logo of the TOR
      Logo of the TOR
      Logo of the TOR
      Logo of the TOR
      Logo of the TOR
      Logo of the EDM
      Logo of the SJS
      Logo of the TOR
      Logo of the TOR
      Logo of the TOR
      Logo of the TOR
      Logo of the TOR
      Logo of the TOR
      Logo of the TOR
      ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
      35$79,500,000$105,698,332$2,550,000$6,750,000-$26,198,332
      Left WingCentreRight Wing
      Logo of the Toronto Maple Leafs
      $6,250,000$6,250,000
      LW, C
      NMC
      UFA - 2
      $11,000,000$11,000,000
      C, LW
      NMC
      UFA - 7
      $5,300,000$5,300,000
      RW
      M-NTC, NMC
      UFA - 2
      $2,250,000$2,250,000
      RW, LW
      UFA - 3
      $4,500,000$4,500,000
      C
      M-NTC
      UFA - 4
      $2,100,000$2,100,000
      RW, LW
      UFA - 2
      $925,000$925,000
      RW, LW
      UFA - 1
      $925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$2,850,000$3M)
      C
      UFA - 1
      $894,167$894,167 (Performance Bonus$850,000$850K)
      RW
      UFA - 1
      $925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$850,000$850K)
      LW, C
      UFA - 1
      $863,333$863,333
      RW
      UFA - 1
      Logo of the New York Rangers
      $2,275,000$2,275,000
      RW, LW
      UFA - 2
      $675,000$675,000
      C
      UFA - 2
      $3,150,000$3,150,000
      RW, LW
      UFA - 1
      Logo of the Carolina Hurricanes
      $1,800,000$1,800,000
      LW, RW
      UFA - 1
      $650,000$650,000
      LW, RW
      UFA - 1
      Logo of the Minnesota Wild
      $5,250,000$5,250,000
      LW, RW
      UFA - 4
      $2,875,000$2,875,000
      RW, LW
      UFA - 3
      Logo of the Tampa Bay Lightning
      $4,450,000$4,450,000
      RW, LW
      NTC
      UFA - 5
      Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
      $5,000,000$5,000,000
      LD
      UFA - 4
      $4,500,000$4,500,000
      RD
      UFA - 6
      $5,000,000$5,000,000
      G
      M-NTC
      UFA - 3
      $4,050,000$4,050,000
      LD
      UFA - 1
      $3,000,000$3,000,000
      RD
      M-NTC
      UFA - 1
      $675,000$675,000
      G
      UFA - 1
      $925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$850,000$850K)
      RD
      UFA - 1
      Logo of the New Jersey Devils
      $650,000$650,000
      G
      UFA - 1
      $863,333$863,333
      LD/RD
      UFA - 2
      $800,000$800,000
      LD
      UFA - 1
      $5,250,000$5,250,000
      LD
      UFA - 6
      Logo of the Carolina Hurricanes
      $4,025,000$4,025,000
      RD
      UFA - 6
      Logo of the New Jersey Devils
      $4,166,666$4,166,666
      RD
      UFA - 5
      $4,166,667$4,166,667
      LD
      UFA - 3
      $894,166$894,166 (Performance Bonus$850,000$850K)
      LD/RD
      UFA - 2
      $925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$500,000$500K)
      RD
      RFA - 3

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
      • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
      Oct. 19, 2018 at 10:26 a.m.
      Big John T
      Don't forget that 1 week before someone, probably Papa Nylander, leaked to the top Swedish TV hockey guys that there was a potential trade to the NYR

and 1 week before that, it was reported on HNIC that the Leafs were exploring a shorter bridge deal for the first time, and before that the leak that it was $6 vs $8 and neither side reached out all summer

I think we'll see the choice Dubas makes before November, and the deal people remember this season will be the signing of Matthews which was reported to have begun recently (which is another bit that reinforces all the Nylander news that the pigeons here refuse to hear)
      Oct. 19, 2018 at 10:33 a.m.
      Rangers would definitely accept that. Don't think Toronto would need to include the second.
      Oct. 19, 2018 at 10:33 a.m.
      Formerly Jamiepo
      From what I have heard the trip was to get face to face to reassure nylander that he is still a part of the long term plan and that they do not intend to trade him. The rumour swirling around is that nylander is unwilling to sign a friendly deal that will make his trade value rise.

I think it’s a damned if you do damped if you don’t situation. If nylander wants to much and doesn’t sign or signs for too much he will be traded. To be honest I think on a friendly contract around 6m he stays with the leafs for the long term.

I’m sure Dubas has been preaching the same things the better leafs fans have been here. We are drafting and developing our D internally and that is our long term plan. We would like to keep everyone on fair market value contracts to allow us room to pick up small pieces through ufa and prospect/picks types of trades to fill any gaps.
      Oct. 19, 2018 at 10:42 a.m.
      Lets Go Blues
      I was at the meeting in Switzerland. Here's how it went down. Dubas walked in and sat a table in the corner of the room. Nylander was parked on a stool at the bar with his agent by his side. When Willy saw Dubas walk in, he rolled his eyes and said something to his agent. His agent turned to Dubas and flashed both of his hands to display 5 digits on one hand and 3 on the other. Dubas stood up, put three fingers up on each hand, bumped his hands together, turned his fists, and raised his middle fingers. He yelled 'BOOM' and walked backwards out of the room, middle fingers still raised.
      GenXHockey liked this.
      Oct. 19, 2018 at 10:50 a.m.
      I wonder if it's down to whether or not he gets a NTC
      Oct. 19, 2018 at 10:51 a.m.
      Banned
      Its been reported that no numbers were discussed. This was Dubas going to ensure Nylander that he is part of the long term plans for the team. With all the media speculation and Nylander hate floating around, it was important for him to clear the air.
      Oct. 19, 2018 at 10:51 a.m.
      Banned
      Quoting: littlejerryseinfeld

RFA's can't get those I believe.
      Oct. 19, 2018 at 10:52 a.m.
      Banned
      Quoting: A_K
      I was at the meeting in Switzerland. Here's how it went down. Dubas walked in and sat a table in the corner of the room. Nylander was parked on a stool at the bar with his agent by his side. When Willy saw Dubas walk in, he rolled his eyes and said something to his agent. His agent turned to Dubas and flashed both of his hands to display 5 digits on one hand and 3 on the other. Dubas stood up, put three fingers up on each hand, bumped his hands together, turned his fists, and raised his middle fingers. He yelled 'BOOM' and walked backwards out of the room, middle fingers still raised.

All you dudes who want to see the Leafs burn. You are silly and its getting old.
      Oct. 19, 2018 at 11:06 a.m.
      Lets Go Blues
      Quoting: LoganOllivier
      All you dudes who want to see the Leafs burn. You are silly and its getting old.

haha how is that what you got out of this post? I don't care about the Leafs, I was just making a joke.
      Oct. 19, 2018 at 11:08 a.m.
      Big John T

You can't get a no-trade clause on the RFA years.

Jamipo doesn't know what he's making up.

Dubas is trying to wrangle a bidding war on the value of Nylander with an 8 year extension, which will be more than the trade value any time soon should he sign a bridge deal.
      To do the trade+sign 8yr, there can be no misunderstanding with Nylander which is why there was an in person meeting.
      The choice of Switzerland is because should Dubas fail to trade, Nylander's backup plan is to pick a team/coach to start playing with in Switzerland come November (and invite offer-sheets)
      Dubas didn't fly to Switzerland just to repeat what he has already said and nothing more
      Oct. 19, 2018 at 11:10 a.m.
      Big John T
      haha how is that what you got out of this post? I don't care about the Leafs, I was just making a joke.

Dude isn't even a Leafs fan. He just fishes for 'Likes' from the pigeons pecking at their keyboards.

Make a Nylander for Doughty 50% retained trade and you too can belong with the pigeons
      Oct. 19, 2018 at 11:28 a.m.
      Formerly Jamiepo

He will most likely get an ntc but it can’t kick in for 5 years... cba rules.
      Oct. 19, 2018 at 11:30 a.m.
      Formerly Jamiepo

Quoting: LoganOllivier

Dude I thought that was pretty funny.... lmao
      Oct. 19, 2018 at 11:31 a.m.
      Quoting: Jamiepo
      From what I have heard the trip was to get face to face to reassure nylander that he is still a part of the long term plan and that they do not intend to trade him. The rumour swirling around is that nylander is unwilling to sign a friendly deal that will make his trade value rise.

I think it’s a damned if you do damped if you don’t situation. If nylander wants to much and doesn’t sign or signs for too much he will be traded. To be honest I think on a friendly contract around 6m he stays with the leafs for the long term.

I’m sure Dubas has been preaching the same things the better leafs fans have been here. We are drafting and developing our D internally and that is our long term plan. We would like to keep everyone on fair market value contracts to allow us room to pick up small pieces through ufa and prospect/picks types of trades to fill any gaps.

I know thaf the plan is to develop from within but at some point either he is traded or he breaks and signs a market value contract even for 1 year at 4 million to get to arbitration and argue this with an independent arbitrator. But nylander needs to accept that he isn't at this point in his career worth what he wants and in a cap you can't just get overpaid.
      GenXHockey liked this.
      Oct. 19, 2018 at 11:33 a.m.
      LMFAOOOO

Tampa doesnt need Nylander or are trading their two best young defensemen
      GenXHockey liked this.
      Oct. 19, 2018 at 11:40 a.m.
      Formerly Jamiepo
      Quoting: PuckPal
      I know thaf the plan is to develop from within but at some point either he is traded or he breaks and signs a market value contract even for 1 year at 4 million to get to arbitration and argue this with an independent arbitrator. But nylander needs to accept that he isn't at this point in his career worth what he wants and in a cap you can't just get overpaid.

Yes I agree and the people surrounding him on his side aren’t helping. Between his father and his slimy agent Lewis gross added to the fact that yes nylander himself is about the money too. Bad combination for sure.

I do not like the arbitration route at all... will turn into a Trouba situation 1 year deals and headaches. I’m more than willing to let this play out and see him sign on at 6.5ish for 6 years or 2-3years at 4-5m. Nylander has no leverage at this time. I get the feeling that he thinks everyone in as underhanded as the people from his camp.
      OldNYIfan liked this.
      Oct. 19, 2018 at 11:42 a.m.
      Formerly Jamiepo
      Quoting: tatatavares
      You can't get a no-trade clause on the RFA years.

Jamipo doesn't know what he's making up.

Dubas is trying to wrangle a bidding war on the value of Nylander with an 8 year extension, which will be more than the trade value any time soon should he sign a bridge deal.
      To do the trade+sign 8yr, there can be no misunderstanding with Nylander which is why there was an in person meeting.
      The choice of Switzerland is because should Dubas fail to trade, Nylander's backup plan is to pick a team/coach to start playing with in Switzerland come November (and invite offer-sheets)
      Dubas didn't fly to Switzerland just to repeat what he has already said and nothing more

Source?

I’m just going by what is being reported... this is making stuff up....
      Oct. 19, 2018 at 11:46 a.m.

Wait, when did Dubas sit down?
      Oct. 19, 2018 at 11:49 a.m.
      Tspky
      i don't think the rangers include Skjei in any deal-- he just signed long term. Plus he's our only viable LHD that we view in our future. I know we'd be getting nylander and I'm not trying to lessen that, but i just don't believe the rangers would trade skjei-- a potential deal would be amazing for the rangers if it centered around a different player. IDT TO would accept a deal centered around retained salary on shatty but that's what would be best for rangers.. i just don't think toronto would go for it. we will see what materializes i guess. Maybe something with Buchnevich or Namestnikov. who really knows it's all speculation
      saysthemachine liked this.
      Oct. 19, 2018 at 12:07 p.m.
      Quoting: Spanky227
      i don't think the rangers include Skjei in any deal-- he just signed long term. Plus he's our only viable LHD that we view in our future. I know we'd be getting nylander and I'm not trying to lessen that, but i just don't believe the rangers would trade skjei-- a potential deal would be amazing for the rangers if it centered around a different player. IDT TO would accept a deal centered around retained salary on shatty but that's what would be best for rangers.. i just don't think toronto would go for it. we will see what materializes i guess. Maybe something with Buchnevich or Namestnikov. who really knows it's all speculation

Nylander isn't worth Skjei in a 1 for 1.
      Oct. 19, 2018 at 1:02 p.m.
      LongtimeLeafsufferer
      Nylander might have a issue with the Leafs regarding term and money. But I think the Leafs offer is not much different than what almost all NHL teams would offer Nylander. So Nylander's destinations for bigger bucks isn't that large, then the Leafs have to make deal with that team.
      Sorry Willy, save this term and $$$ leverage when you're a UFA. Teams like you as player but you're 20g 40a guy.....that gets about 6.5m long term, less in a bridge.
      Completely_Realistic_Leaf_Fan, PuckPal, OldNYIfan and 1 other person liked this.
      Oct. 19, 2018 at 1:15 p.m.
      Quoting: saysthemachine
      Nylander isn't worth Skjei in a 1 for 1.

Like i said it's an overpay but leafs will want valueable pieces that can help now not players that will be in a few years. But i doubt NYR are a good fit anyways i only included them cause they had 2 scouts at the game last night.
      saysthemachine liked this.
      Oct. 19, 2018 at 1:19 p.m.
      2018/19 SC Champs!
      Quoting: palhal
      Nylander might have a issue with the Leafs regarding term and money. But I think the Leafs offer is not much different than what almost all NHL teams would offer Nylander. So Nylander's destinations for bigger bucks isn't that large, then the Leafs have to make deal with that team.
      Sorry Willy, save this term and $$$ leverage when you're a UFA. Teams like you as player but you're 20g 40a guy.....that gets about 6.5m long term, less in a bridge.

Yeah, Willy. When you put up Evander Kane, JVR or Ryan O'Reilly #'s, then you can have 7-7.5.
      OldNYIfan liked this.
      Oct. 19, 2018 at 1:19 p.m.
      Quoting: palhal

I agree and i hope after sitting down with Dubas he has a better understanding of the long term plan of this team but if he's his fathers son and is only after being overpaid the leafs are at that point put in a situation that they need to part ways no matter how difficult it is. But im truly hoping he truly wants to be a leaf cause with this roster and him on the this is a team that goes for dominating to outright scary.
      OldNYIfan liked this.
      Oct. 19, 2018 at 1:22 p.m.
      Quoting: BoltsPoint21
      LMFAOOOO

Tampa doesnt need Nylander or are trading their two best young defensemen

I only included them seeing they had 2 scouts at the game. Honestly what does TOR gain from making TB better....nothing.
      OldNYIfan liked this.

To create a post please Login or Register
      Question:
      Options:
      Add Option
      Submit Poll