SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/Armchair-GM

I hate the thought of trading Nylander

Team: 2018-19 Toronto Maple Leafs
Initial Creation Date: Nov. 12, 2018
Published: Nov. 12, 2018
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
There are 2 reasons why I hate this whole situation.

#1 Any trade for a defenceman, TO loses. Nylander is a 22 year old player who's best hockey is still to be played. The available defenceman are either inferrior players that their owners will hold on to and demand a huge return for. Or they are older and leaving their prime and in that case, their best hockey is likely behind them.

#2 Nylander is getting zero respect which many think is lowering his value. He's 22 and is one of the best young players in the game. Compare him to whoever you want and complain about his salary demands all you want, but to say he's nothing more than 60 point winger which apparently grow on trees, (they don't) that is just silly.

#3 If he wants a big contract with TO, why would he consider going lower for a different team.

In Conclusion, I think Friedman is full of crap and is making stuff up. And if he isn't there are likely only a couple of teams who would be willing to overpay Nylander on a contract which will greatly reduce the return. Perhaps Dubas is saying, okay fine, go see if you can get a contract, if no one is willing to meet your demands, lets get back to business and get this done.

If it was up to me and he continues to sit, sit him for the whole year. Don't trade him and make due with what we have. Keep sitting him until he decides to be a team player and figure out a way he can protect himself and get paid. Also get rid of his dad, he's the worst guy to ask advice from.
Retained Salary Transactions
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the STL
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the DAL
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the SJS
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
24$79,500,000$67,283,333$2,550,000$5,400,000$12,216,667
Left WingCentreRight Wing
Logo of the Toronto Maple Leafs
$6,250,000$6,250,000
LW, C
NMC
UFA - 2
$11,000,000$11,000,000
C, LW
NMC
UFA - 7
$5,300,000$5,300,000
RW
M-NTC, NMC
UFA - 2
$2,250,000$2,250,000
RW, LW
UFA - 3
$4,500,000$4,500,000
C
M-NTC
UFA - 4
$2,100,000$2,100,000
RW, LW
UFA - 2
$925,000$925,000
RW, LW
UFA - 1
$925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$2,850,000$3M)
C
UFA - 1
$894,167$894,167 (Performance Bonus$850,000$850K)
RW
UFA - 1
$787,500$787,500
LW, RW
UFA - 1
$925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$850,000$850K)
LW, C
UFA - 1
$863,333$863,333
RW
UFA - 1
$675,000$675,000
C
UFA - 2
$650,000$650,000
LW, RW
UFA - 1
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$5,000,000$5,000,000
LD
UFA - 4
$4,500,000$4,500,000
RD
UFA - 6
$5,000,000$5,000,000
G
M-NTC
UFA - 3
$4,050,000$4,050,000
LD
UFA - 1
$3,000,000$3,000,000
RD
M-NTC
UFA - 1
$675,000$675,000
G
UFA - 1
$925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$850,000$850K)
RD
UFA - 1
$675,000$675,000
RD
UFA - 2
$863,333$863,333
LD/RD
UFA - 2
$800,000$800,000
LD
UFA - 1

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Nov. 12, 2018 at 9:28 a.m.
Analytics are good
Nylander is not worth anything more than 7M. Look at all the examples around the league.

Pastrnak 6.67x7
Larkin 6.1x5
Ehlers 6x7
Scheifele 6.25x8
Forsberg 6x6
Gaudreau 6.75x6

Nylander is at best only better than Larkin and Ehlers and even that's debatable. His demands are an outlier to say the least
Eli, msekkes and tomkinoo liked this.
Nov. 12, 2018 at 9:30 a.m.
LongtimeLeafsufferer
Although I don't rate Nylander as high my fellow Leaf fan LoganOliver, I do agree with many of his conclusions.
Friedman and others really don't have any more insight than many fans. Are any teams willing to pay Nylander much more than the Leafs? Leafs should be quite content to let Nylander to sit out this NHL season if a contract or trade doesn't make long term sense to the team.
Nov. 12, 2018 at 9:36 a.m.
Watches no games
Quoting: PenGoater99
Nylander is not worth anything more than 7M. Look at all the examples around the league.

Pastrnak 6.67x7
Larkin 6.1x5
Ehlers 6x7
Scheifele 6.25x8
Forsberg 6x6
Gaudreau 6.75x6

Nylander is at best only better than Larkin and Ehlers and even that's debatable. His demands are an outlier to say the least

Why is Eichel getting 10m when Crosby makes 8.7? Because the cap rises. This is natural progression. When Crosby signed it was about McDavid money, it's not today. The comparable contracts are all at least one year old if not two. Also Scheifele and Pastrnak hadn't exploded at the time, you can't account for the player scoring crazy AFTER he signs, that's hindsight bias.
ThatGuy liked this.
Nov. 12, 2018 at 9:43 a.m.
Lets Go Blues
Edited Nov. 12, 2018 at 9:51 a.m.
Quoting: MelonVK
Why is Eichel getting 10m when Crosby makes 8.7? Because the cap rises. This is natural progression. When Crosby signed it was about McDavid money, it's not today. The comparable contracts are all at least one year old if not two. Also Scheifele and Pastrnak hadn't exploded at the time, you can't account for the player scoring crazy AFTER he signs, that's hindsight bias.

True. The Pastrnak deal under the current cap is equivalent to 7.07m x 6 yrs. In effect, 7x7 for Nylander (which I think is fair for both sides) is significantly less than Pasta.

@LoganOllivier's first point is the most important I think. The teams with defensemen of equal value to Nylander aren't interested in trading them. Just like the Leafs shouldn't be interested in trading Nylander, except for the circumstances with his contract standoff. I think what Friedman is reporting is the normal next step here, Dubas gauging some of his possible returns. I doubt he's actively seeking a trade at this point, but the deadline to sign is approaching.
Nov. 12, 2018 at 9:48 a.m.
Analytics are good

Gaudreau accounts for 9.25% of the cap
Pastrnak 8.89
Larkin 7.67
Ehlers 8
Forsberg 8.22

Given the cap is at 79.5, let's say Nylander goes for 8.3% of the cap, if my math is correct, that still only amounts to roughly 6.6M, that still makes tied for the 2nd highest paid player of the players mentioned here. Even with how the cap has gone up, anything in the range of 6.5-7 should be sufficient for him
tomkinoo liked this.
Nov. 12, 2018 at 9:48 a.m.

Well when Pasta signed he scored 70 points and 30+ goals and got the deal he did because Sweeney wasn't going to give in and overpay like Chiarelli did with Draisaitl. Pasta and Marchand both make less than 7 mil a year as well as Bergeron. I get the natural progression of cap increases, but the Pasta, Marchand, and MacKinnon deals arent that too far out from the initial signing. Nylander shouldn't make more than Pasta
PenGoater99 liked this.
Nov. 12, 2018 at 9:54 a.m.
Banned

Pastrnak 6.67x7
Larkin 6.1x5
Ehlers 6x7
Scheifele 6.25x8
Forsberg 6x6
Gaudreau 6.75x6

I won't argue that, and I also agree he's asking too much. Which makes me wonder if the Friedman rumour is right, then perhaps Dubas is saying, "Listen Willy, if you think you can get more, go and find out. But if no one wants to give you as much as you're asking then lets get serious and get this deal. It's fair and we want you in the lineup." Maybe then Michael Nylander can shut the hell up and help ruin his other sons contract.
Nov. 12, 2018 at 10:02 a.m.
Banned

You are not wrong, however having foresight should help teams predict if a player will explode. Is anyone surprised Pastrnak exploded? Or Scheifele? Would anyone really be that surprised if Nylander scored 30 goals and added 60 assists playing with the likes of Matthews, Tavares or Marner? (He'll get some time with everyone throughout the season)

This is a concept most people seem to run from like the plague. How many people on here have said "he's only a 60 point winger?" A good management team would have an idea what they can expect from a player as they grow and player agents are smart enough to look at the big picture and down the road. Players I think are realizing that getting underpaid early in their careers is going to cost them down the road, because signing 28-29 year olds on 8 year contracts is bad money spent. At least half of that term the player will be diminishing.

So perhaps players are saying, "wait one minute, I am going to earn my money now, while I'm young and at my pyhsical best. We see guys like Perry, and Toews and Seabrook etc, guys who played great earlier in their careers on small contracts, got big deals and almost immediately started to decline, GM's are going to eventually start saying, "No you aren't getting that 8 year deal, you will be declining for most of it, here is a 3 year deal." So no I want the long term deal now, I don't think I'll get another opportunity in the future. "
Nov. 12, 2018 at 10:06 a.m.
Banned
Quoting: Chopper02
Well when Pasta signed he scored 70 points and 30+ goals and got the deal he did because Sweeney wasn't going to give in and overpay like Chiarelli did with Draisaitl. Pasta and Marchand both make less than 7 mil a year as well as Bergeron. I get the natural progression of cap increases, but the Pasta, Marchand, and MacKinnon deals arent that too far out from the initial signing. Nylander shouldn't make more than Pasta

People get hung up on who makes more than who. Let's say Nylander gets an 8 year 7.5 million dollar a deal contract. Just for argument's sake.

Would he be worth that deal? Health permitting I'd say absolutely. If Pastrnak was making 7.5 right now, would that be a bad deal? Not at all.

I think fans like to get hung up on 1 or 2 things but lose the forest for the trees. If you think a player will earn the money of the contract over its term, its not a bad deal. There may be better deals for sure. And then there are really bad ones that people will scratch their heads about for years. (Tom Wilson anyone? Sorry Caps fans)
Nov. 12, 2018 at 10:29 a.m.
Who adds what?
Quoting: palhal
Leafs should be quite content to let Nylander to sit out this NHL season if a contract or trade doesn't make long term sense to the team.

No. This is the Leafs' year. Tavares, Matthews, Kadri, and decent wings up front are enough. Goalies are decent. Rielly and Gardiner are great. Zaitsev is... decent. After that the defense is question marks. The Caps won with similar forwards, a better goalie, and three defensemen better than Gardiner. The Penguins with with equivalent center depth, better wings, better goalies, and a rotating cast of defensemen that usually focused on Letang, but he's getting old and they'll add someone from a team eliminated by the deadline.

Leafs fans on CF are obsessed with solving all seven years of the Tavares contract with a cheap, long term, #1 defenseman for Nylander, and also want picks and prospects. It ain't happening. Get a third #1 defenseman for this year, and if it's someone overpriced without a lot of years left, you might still get picks and prospects. I've posted Niskanen plus Burakovsky, and been laughed at by the same Leafs homer you mentioned, because Nylander's 33 even strength goals in four years after his draft show "elite potential" as a goal scorer. Burakovsky, 4 years after his draft day, had 32. Niskanen plus Burakovsky would be a steal for Toronto, and it's possible the Caps can still compete this year, and they may see some value long term, in Nylander's playmaking ability. I think Toronto adds at least Marincin and a 2nd to balance this out, but I'd be more excited about Gauthier and Subban.

Gauthier, as promising as he appears, was drafted a spot ahead of Burakovsky, and has fewer regular season goals or points than Burakovsky has in the playoffs, so I think the Leafs are ready to cut bait.
Nov. 12, 2018 at 10:34 a.m.
Banned
Quoting: A_K
True. The Pastrnak deal under the current cap is equivalent to 7.07m x 6 yrs. In effect, 7x7 for Nylander (which I think is fair for both sides) is significantly less than Pasta.

@LoganOllivier's first point is the most important I think. The teams with defensemen of equal value to Nylander aren't interested in trading them. Just like the Leafs shouldn't be interested in trading Nylander, except for the circumstances with his contract standoff. I think what Friedman is reporting is the normal next step here, Dubas gauging some of his possible returns. I doubt he's actively seeking a trade at this point, but the deadline to sign is approaching.

Dreger blew up the whole report from Friedman which happens way too often. I used to like Friedman because he wasn't a hockey guy but managed to work his way into a prominent hockey reporting position. I admired that being a broadcaster who never made it as an athlete. However, the guy just speculates and has jumped into the sensationalism pool with both feet and I can't respect that. He made this breaking news story that Toronto is asking whats available.

Dreger on the other hand said this is just due diligence and we shouldn't expect anything less from Dubas at this point. The guy is prepared, more so than most of his counter parts. He doesn't want to trade Nylander and I think this is another step in negotiations. I still have hope that this gets resolved very soon.
Nov. 12, 2018 at 10:38 a.m.
Banned
Quoting: Eli
No. This is the Leafs' year. Tavares, Matthews, Kadri, and decent wings up front are enough. Goalies are decent. Rielly and Gardiner are great. Zaitsev is... decent. After that the defense is question marks. The Caps won with similar forwards, a better goalie, and three defensemen better than Gardiner. The Penguins with with equivalent center depth, better wings, better goalies, and a rotating cast of defensemen that usually focused on Letang, but he's getting old and they'll add someone from a team eliminated by the deadline.

Leafs fans on CF are obsessed with solving all seven years of the Tavares contract with a cheap, long term, #1 defenseman for Nylander, and also want picks and prospects. It ain't happening. Get a third #1 defenseman for this year, and if it's someone overpriced without a lot of years left, you might still get picks and prospects. I've posted Niskanen plus Burakovsky, and been laughed at by the same Leafs homer you mentioned, because Nylander's 33 even strength goals in four years after his draft show "elite potential" as a goal scorer. Burakovsky, 4 years after his draft day, had 32. Niskanen plus Burakovsky would be a steal for Toronto, and it's possible the Caps can still compete this year, and they may see some value long term, in Nylander's playmaking ability. I think Toronto adds at least Marincin and a 2nd to balance this out, but I'd be more excited about Gauthier and Subban.

Gauthier, as promising as he appears, was drafted a spot ahead of Burakovsky, and has fewer regular season goals or points than Burakovsky has in the playoffs, so I think the Leafs are ready to cut bait.

You aren't going to find much support on here man. Caps fans are notorious for cherry picking information and ignoring everything else. (Using even strength goals to make Burakovsky equal to Nylander is just dumb)

Niskanen is 31 Nylander is 22. Enough said, there is no way to win that argument.
Nov. 12, 2018 at 10:46 a.m.
Who adds what?
Quoting: LoganOllivier
You aren't going to find much support on here man. Caps fans are notorious for cherry picking information and ignoring everything else. (Using even strength goals to make Burakovsky equal to Nylander is just dumb)

Niskanen is 31 Nylander is 22. Enough said, there is no way to win that argument.

Since 2010 Niskanen is 9th in playoff points by a right shot defenseman.

He's second in even strength assists in this decade's playoffs to Kris Letang, who is also 31, but a lot more injury prone. (Edit: Since, 2012, he's first. Last year he led RHD in playoff blocks, hits, penalty killing minutes... the year before when the Caps had Carlson and Shattenkirk, he led Caps' defensemen in playoff power play points per sixty).

If you don't like people who use number or logic to assess hockey players, would you rather I argue with certainty? I am certain that Niskanen doubles the Leafs' chances to win the 2019 2020 and 2021 Stanley Cups.

After that, Tavares will be 31, so either you respect guys over 31, or you think the Leafs' window is only the next three years, and you add more picks to get Niskanen away from another contender.
Nov. 12, 2018 at 10:48 a.m.
Banned

Every Cap fan on here.

Among themselves, "Burakovsky isn't good and we need to move on from him, he's a bust."

When talking to anyone else, "Take Burakovsky, he's so underrated and is worth this player that is clearly way better but didn't play for the caps so he is less valuable than this guy who we all hate but prentend to like when it benefits us."
Nov. 12, 2018 at 10:51 a.m.

Pastrnak 6.67x7
Larkin 6.1x5
Ehlers 6x7
Scheifele 6.25x8
Forsberg 6x6
Gaudreau 6.75x6

I'm agree with that!! I think the 1st part of the problem is Nylander overvalue himself. The 2nd problem is TML overvalue Nylander in a trade case (like TML fans, LoganOllivier) but in a contract case, they undervalue him...
Nov. 12, 2018 at 10:54 a.m.
Banned
Since 2010 Niskanen is 9th in playoff points by a right shot defenseman.

He's second in even strength assists in this decade's playoffs to Kris Letang, who is also 31, but a lot more injury prone.

If you don't like people who count points to assess hockey players, would you rather I argue with certainty? I am certain that Niskanen doubles the Leafs' chances to win the 2019 2020 and 2021 Stanley Cups.

After that, Tavares will be 31, so either you respect guys over 31, or you think the Leafs' window is only the next three years, and you add more picks to get Niskanen away from another contender.

I say Niskanen is 31 and Nylander is 22 and you mention Tavares will be 31 in 3 years. Okay......and Nylander will be 25 and in the midst of his prime years where he will play his best hockey.

Cap fans could easily be the worst fan base for being completely self serving but denying that is their goal.

Here's the thing man, you want to move out an older defenceman because you think his best days are likely behind him. Your team is getting older and could use some higher end young talent. Now you see Nylander as a very good target and you hope to get him in the most beneficial way possible without hurting your team. So you are sending an older defenceman who are certain won't be getting better with age and a winger who's kind of a bust, (he's not top line winger, he's a depth middle 6 guy, which is fine but its a huge step below Nylander), and with that being the facts you cherry pick a couple of stats to support this as a good plan for the Leafs when you absolutely know its a slam dunk win for the Capitals.

It'd be one thing if you just admitted that, "Hey, I am a homer for this team and it would be a sick trade." Instead, you stand firm on this little hill and will die defending the logic behind your trade. There is none, everyone see through it and you should just stop.
Nov. 12, 2018 at 10:55 a.m.
People get hung up on who makes more than who. Let's say Nylander gets an 8 year 7.5 million dollar a deal contract. Just for argument's sake.

Would he be worth that deal? Health permitting I'd say absolutely. If Pastrnak was making 7.5 right now, would that be a bad deal? Not at all.

I think fans like to get hung up on 1 or 2 things but lose the forest for the trees. If you think a player will earn the money of the contract over its term, its not a bad deal. There may be better deals for sure. And then there are really bad ones that people will scratch their heads about for years. (Tom Wilson anyone? Sorry Caps fans)

I'm not sure if Nylander is worth 7.5 right now. He could be, but i don't blame Dubas for not wanting to sign him for longer given the fact that Matthews and Marner are also due pay raises. If Nylander would have increased his production significantly, then i'd say go ahead and sign him to 8/7.5. But he remained the same. Didn't play particularly great in the playoffs so he didn't bump up his stock then. at this point, Kapanen can fill in Nylander's spot and you can get a defenseman for Nylander to better the blue line. That's what Dubas should be doing
Nov. 12, 2018 at 11:12 a.m.
Who adds what?
I say Niskanen is 31 and Nylander is 22 and you mention Tavares will be 31 in 3 years. Okay......and Nylander will be 25 and in the midst of his prime years where he will play his best hockey.

You told me last week that players usually score the most as 23 year olds. Burakovsky is 23.

Every Cap fan on here.

Among themselves, "Burakovsky isn't good and we need to move on from him, he's a bust."

When talking to anyone else, "Take Burakovsky, he's so underrated and is worth this player that is clearly way better but didn't play for the caps so he is less valuable than this guy who we all hate but prentend to like when it benefits us."

Not me. When other Caps fans say that nonsense, I give them 1 star, and explain why a slow start is no big deal. Burakovsky had 41 goals as an OHL rookie. He had 17 goals and 39 points as a 20 year old in the NHL, on a line with rookie Kuznetsov and aging Williams. Nylander had 22 goals and 61 points as a 20 year old, shuffling lines with 30 goal Nazem Kadri, 30 goal Auston Matthews, 30 goal James Van Riemsdyk, and aging Patrick Marleau. Nylander has 2 career playoff goals in zero series wins. Burakovsky scored two goals in game seven of the Eastern Conference Finals this year.

I'm not offering Burakovsky and Niskanen for Nylander to improve the Caps this year, or because I think Nylander is better than Burakovsky. I'm offering it because I think Bowey will play a top four role soon, Carlson is under contract long term, and Nylander, in two years, is cheaper than a combination of Burakovsky and Niskanen. I'm trading for cap space to re-sign Backstrom and Holtby. Look ahead in the Caps' long-term view on CF, and you'll get it. Niskanen last year was one of three #1 defensemen on a Cup winner. This year he could be the same, but in the third year of his contract, when Tavares is 31 and Niskanen is 34, the Caps have to pay Backstrom and Holtby like $10M each. So I'd rather sell high on Niskanen while he's got a Cup or two left in him than wait and lose him for nothing in a cap dump in the summer of 2021.

While I'm not troubled by Burakovsky's slow start, I am a little surprised at the Caps' slow start. Orpik is injured and their penalty kill is nothing without him. I think maybe the Caps make quiet, peripheral rebuilding type moves, like this one.
Nov. 12, 2018 at 11:18 a.m.
Banned
Quoting: Chopper02
I'm not sure if Nylander is worth 7.5 right now. He could be, but i don't blame Dubas for not wanting to sign him for longer given the fact that Matthews and Marner are also due pay raises. If Nylander would have increased his production significantly, then i'd say go ahead and sign him to 8/7.5. But he remained the same. Didn't play particularly great in the playoffs so he didn't bump up his stock then. at this point, Kapanen can fill in Nylander's spot and you can get a defenseman for Nylander to better the blue line. That's what Dubas should be doing

Kapanen is not as good as Nylander. Kapenen can play with Matthews and be a positive winger but Nylander makes Matthews better. Nylander isn't a huge step back from Marner. They are very close to the same level and Nylander might have more raw talent. But public perception changes everything and now you have Marner being a 10 million winger and Nylander being a 5.5 million winger because reality doesn't matter and what matters is what the mob thinks of you. The mob is dumb and should never be listened to. Also by mob I mean fans.
Nov. 12, 2018 at 11:22 a.m.
Banned
You told me last week that players usually score the most as 23 year olds. Burakovsky is 23.

Not me. When other Caps fans say that nonsense, I give them 1 star, and explain why a slow start is no big deal. Burakovsky had 41 goals as an OHL rookie. He had 17 goals and 39 points as a 20 year old in the NHL, on a line with rookie Kuznetsov and aging Williams. Nylander had 22 goals and 61 points as a 20 year old, shuffling lines with 30 goal Nazem Kadri, 30 goal Auston Matthews, 30 goal James Van Riemsdyk, and aging Patrick Marleau. Nylander has 2 career playoff goals in zero series wins. Burakovsky scored two goals in game seven of the Eastern Conference Finals this year.

I'm not offering Burakovsky and Niskanen for Nylander to improve the Caps this year, or because I think Nylander is better than Burakovsky. I'm offering it because I think Bowey will play a top four role soon, Carlson is under contract long term, and Nylander, in two years, is cheaper than a combination of Burakovsky and Niskanen. I'm trading for cap space to re-sign Backstrom and Holtby. Look ahead in the Caps' long-term view on CF, and you'll get it. Niskanen last year was one of three #1 defensemen on a Cup winner. This year he could be the same, but in the third year of his contract, when Tavares is 31 and Niskanen is 34, the Caps have to pay Backstrom and Holtby like $10M each. So I'd rather sell high on Niskanen while he's got a Cup or two left in him than wait and lose him for nothing in a cap dump in the summer of 2021.

While I'm not troubled by Burakovsky's slow start, I am a little surprised at the Caps' slow start. Orpik is injured and their penalty kill is nothing without him. I think maybe the Caps make quiet, peripheral rebuilding type moves, like this one.

I said players have their best statistical season around the age of 24 not 23 and also Burakovsky just isn't that good. Talking about the OHL or that one time he scored 2 goals in a playoff game or whatever you want to do, is irrelevant. The trade is short sighted and dumb for TO. The big draw is Niskanen who is 31, Nylander is way better than Burakosky and that is the long term piece for TO. Its a bad trade and there is no way to make it good.

I fully anticipate a response where you point out very specific time stamps to wash over the bigger picture where you mention something that really doesn't help you but makes you feel better. This is a silly convo now.
Nov. 12, 2018 at 11:36 a.m.
Who adds what?
I said players have their best statistical season around the age of 24 not 23/quote]
How would I know when you ignored my request for a link to prove it?

And even if average guys peak at an average age, that doesn't mean the Leafs aren't trusting Marleau at 39 to play on their top line, so you're right that you're being silly. Great players often stay in shape beyond average ages, because they know they're great at hockey, so they work harder in the gym. Calling a guy

Nylander is not as good as Burakovsky in the playoffs, when it counts. Nylander is not open to a cheap bridge deal, which means Toronto can't keep him next year, when M&M sign huge contracts. Burakovsky is on a bridge deal right now, and underperforming. Toronto could sign him for two more years at 3M per, today, put him anywhere in their top nine, and get a 50 point player whom they can keep through next season, without losing their superstars.

Niskanen led the playoffs this year in shots blocked and was third in hits. The big draw of this trade is the Stanley Cup. You put Niskanen and Zaitsev together on the right side, and you can wear teams down.
Nov. 12, 2018 at 11:36 a.m.
Who adds what?
Kapanen is not as good as Nylander. Kapenen can play with Matthews and be a positive winger but Nylander makes Matthews better.

Nylander helps Matthews get 1 point per game.
Kapanen helps Matthews get 1.5 points per game. /thread.
Nov. 12, 2018 at 11:40 a.m.
Kapanen is not as good as Nylander. Kapenen can play with Matthews and be a positive winger but Nylander makes Matthews better. Nylander isn't a huge step back from Marner. They are very close to the same level and Nylander might have more raw talent. But public perception changes everything and now you have Marner being a 10 million winger and Nylander being a 5.5 million winger because reality doesn't matter and what matters is what the mob thinks of you. The mob is dumb and should never be listened to. Also by mob I mean fans.

I wouldn't make Marner a 10 million dollar winger. I'd make him a 7.5 to 8 mil winger. Marner is a lot more defensive conscious than Nylander and he's been doing it while increasing his offensive output. Im not a Maple Leaf fan, but right now Marner is the better overall player. If Marner made 8 and Nylander 7, I would say that's pretty fair.
Nov. 12, 2018 at 11:45 a.m.
Banned

You are the same as so many people on here.

I say, "I think Nylander is far more valuable than Niskanen and Burakovsky isn't very good."

What you hear, "Niskanen is garbage and he isn't worth anything."

Notice that there is a big difference there?

This is what the internet is like, everyone goes overboard and to the extreme on everything.

Here is the reality friend.

Niskanen is the best defensive player on the Capitals. He's a very solid guy and he would be a terrific addition for TO. As long as that price doesn't take away from their current roster nor damage their ability to have talent in the future. So think along the lines of a lesser prospect and picks. He's not worth Nylander who is 22 years old and his best hockey is still a head of him. Now before you start talking about Burakovsky, he's played 3 complete seasons and has been around a 30 point producer, which is okay but not spectacular. Its getting hard to imagine that he's much more beyond that, a depth winger who can chip in with some offence. He's more of a Connor Brown but less likeable.

So does it make sense from a Toronto perspective to trade a 22 year old who is very close to as good as Mitch Marner (I have seen almost every game those two have played and they are not that far off in skill and talent) for a 31 year old defensive defenceman and a 3rd liner? What is the appeal there? They upgrade their defence. Okay, but I am positive they can get an upgrade over Hainsey without sending Nylander somewhere for an older player. I bet they can upgrade Hainsey with a 2nd round pick come the deadline. That is a way smarter move.

Now I am sure that my words will be read and then manually flip a switch in your brain that changes all those words to the following.

Niskanen is 90 years old and can't skate and Burakovsky may have a drinking problem and all Leaf fans personally hate the Capital fan base and are out to get me.

If you start seeing anything close to that reaction, take a deep breath, count to 10 and realize the Capitals are fine, they will likely win their division again and they have as good a chance to win the cup as anyone else.
Nov. 12, 2018 at 11:54 a.m.
Watches no games
You are not wrong, however having foresight should help teams predict if a player will explode. Is anyone surprised Pastrnak exploded? Or Scheifele? Would anyone really be that surprised if Nylander scored 30 goals and added 60 assists playing with the likes of Matthews, Tavares or Marner? (He'll get some time with everyone throughout the season)

This is a concept most people seem to run from like the plague. How many people on here have said "he's only a 60 point winger?" A good management team would have an idea what they can expect from a player as they grow and player agents are smart enough to look at the big picture and down the road. Players I think are realizing that getting underpaid early in their careers is going to cost them down the road, because signing 28-29 year olds on 8 year contracts is bad money spent. At least half of that term the player will be diminishing.

So perhaps players are saying, "wait one minute, I am going to earn my money now, while I'm young and at my pyhsical best. We see guys like Perry, and Toews and Seabrook etc, guys who played great earlier in their careers on small contracts, got big deals and almost immediately started to decline, GM's are going to eventually start saying, "No you aren't getting that 8 year deal, you will be declining for most of it, here is a 3 year deal." So no I want the long term deal now, I don't think I'll get another opportunity in the future. "

I think this is important as well. People are paying UFA's way less now. Compare Yandle's free agent contract to De Haan's, Yandle might be more of a point getter, but a couple of years ago De Haan would probably get the same contract. Pacioretty, Stastny, Neal, a couple of years ago these guys would get PAID, but most gm's recognize players peak younger and the shift in who's getting payed is happening as we speak. You can always look at comparables and say "but but but this guy", but that's not constructive. The fact that we recognize that on guy is underpayed doesn't mean the next guy should be as well. Why is everyone using the Pastrnak contract as a comparable instead of the Draisaitl one? Because they want Ny to sign cheaply. No one's bringing up the fact that Bobby Ryan is making more than William's asking for since a couple years back because they want him to sign cheaply. Pasta has one of the better contracts in the league right now, you can't just look at the cheap extremes for contract negotiations - at least not if you don't want to look at the expensive extremes as well.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll