Created by: Loops
Team: 2019-20 Toronto Maple Leafs
Initial Creation Date: Jun. 12, 2019
Published: Jun. 12, 2019
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
Things to keep in mind:

- Zaitsev request a trade
- Marleau has asked to be closer to his family and put his Toronto home on the market
- Leafs have a wealth of prospects on D and FWD
- I don't believe the Leafs signed Petan to a 2 year deal for him sit in the press box again so he and the Russians will rotate until 1 claims the starting spot
- Nylander played on his off-wing at Worlds and lit up the tournament. Maybe its worth a try?

Trades:

1) Edmonton is in desperate need of Wingers and as much as I like Brown he deserves a shot at a top 6 spot somewhere else. Leafs get 3rd and 7th round pick because we know they love to draft Europeans in the later rounds.

2) The Avs have no interest in Marleau but are in a cap position to do the Leafs a favor and buy him out. I feel the Avs true target is Liljegren. Thanks to the Ottawa Senators, I feel the Avs would part ways with the 16th overall pick to get this done.

3) Carolina being blessed with Right Handed D have what the Leafs need and the Leafs being blessed with forwards have what Carolina need. With Bracco's amazing season in the AHL, he is still my sacrificial lamb. Brett Pesce would be the dream but we all know Hamilton's track record of being traded. Let's bring him home to Toronto.

Callups and signing:

1) Marner will ink at about 10.6M. This will make him the highest paid winger. Wingers will never get the same salary as a Center, there is just no way. This puts him higher than Kane, on par with Rantanen who will likely sign at 10.1 and fair to a production standpoint.

2) Andreas Johnsson 3.7M for 4 years (judged based on age and production of a player on the third year of an ELC).

3) Kapanen gets the Kadri and Kreider treatment and signs a bridge deal so the Leafs can evaluate where he and the team are at in 2 years.

4) Adam McQuaid at 32 years of age brings in a veteren presence with a physical game and playoff experience. He also helps the Leafs right handed depth and overall depth with Dermott starting the season on IR. We also need a penalty killer.

5) Mason Marchement brings size, physicality and a JVR like presence infront of the net. He helps anchor the 4th line and gives us depth at LW during Hyman's recovery.

6) Calle Rosen proved this year that he is NHL ready. He brings a strong puck moving game to the third line D which will allow McQuaid to be the stay at home physical presence we need.

Let me have it Leafs Nation
Free Agent Signings
RFAYEARSCAP HIT
4$3,700,000
6$10,600,000
2$2,400,000
UFAYEARSCAP HIT
2$1,500,000
Trades
TOR
  1. 2019 3rd round pick (NYI)
  2. 2019 6th round pick (EDM)
TOR
  1. 2019 1st round pick (COL)
Retained Salary Transactions
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the COL
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the NYI
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the STL
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the DAL
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the SJS
Logo of the WPG
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
22$83,000,000$82,452,199$0$132,500$547,801
Left WingCentreRight Wing
Logo of the Toronto Maple Leafs
$6,962,366$6,962,366
RW
UFA - 5
$11,634,000$11,634,000
C
UFA - 5
$2,400,000$2,400,000
RW
UFA - 3
$3,700,000$3,700,000
LW, RW
UFA - 4
$11,000,000$11,000,000
C, LW
NMC
UFA - 6
$10,600,000$10,600,000
RW
UFA - 6
$2,250,000$2,250,000
RW, LW
M-NTC
UFA - 2
$4,500,000$4,500,000
C
M-NTC
UFA - 3
$775,000$775,000
LW, RW
UFA - 2
$767,500$767,500 (Performance Bonus$132,500$132K)
LW, RW
UFA - 1
$675,000$675,000
C
UFA - 1
$925,000$925,000
LW, RW
UFA - 1
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$5,000,000$5,000,000
LD
UFA - 3
Logo of the Carolina Hurricanes
$5,750,000$5,750,000
RD
UFA - 2
$5,000,000$5,000,000
G
M-NTC
UFA - 2
$4,000,000$4,000,000
LD
UFA - 1
$863,333$863,333
LD/RD
UFA - 1
$750,000$750,000
G
UFA - 1
$750,000$750,000
LD
UFA - 2
$1,500,000$1,500,000
RD
UFA
ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
$775,000$775,000
C, LW, RW
UFA - 2
$5,300,000$5,300,000
RW
M-NTC, NMC
UFA - 1
$675,000$675,000
RD
UFA - 1

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Jun. 12, 2019 at 2:50 p.m.
Pmwalker
Avs and Canes trades are ****. Oilers accept.
coga16 and Lenny7 liked this.
Jun. 12, 2019 at 2:51 p.m.
Avs pass hard, they wouldn’t move the 16th pick for liljegren straight up, never mind taking marleau with him as well

Talk about a big time homer over paymdbg
Lenny7 and Subbanator7667 liked this.
Jun. 12, 2019 at 2:52 p.m.
MNBassman
Who has the time, or desire to read all that?!
Jun. 12, 2019 at 2:55 p.m.
You had me intrigued until that Dougie trade hot mess. How do you dump Zaitsev and get the best player and asset in the deal? gonna need to pay a lot more than that to get rid of that problem. I think that if you are high on Liligren, that deal makes sense, problem is AVS then have to pay the July 1 SB. Marleau is much more palatable for a team with cash concerns post July 1, when he can no longer be bought out.
dzad96 and Lenny7 liked this.
Jun. 12, 2019 at 2:55 p.m.
Quoting: coga16
Avs pass hard, they wouldn’t move the 16th pick for liljegren straight up, never mind taking marleau with him as well

Talk about a big time homer over paymdbg

Agreed.
Jun. 12, 2019 at 2:56 p.m.
Lenny7
-Connor Brown, sure. Straight up for a 3rd probably works.
-I just don't know that Liljegren's value has gone up. That's right about where he was picked, and I think straight up it would make sense for Colorado, but they could draft a similar player there, and save themselves the cap space to acquire an impact player.
-Given that it'll cost someone like Bracco to get rid of the $21 mil owed to Zaitsev, this move makes no sense for Carolina. You say "Carolina is blessed at RHD", and then trade them a cap dump that's a RHD. The cost of Hamilton is likely similar to that of Muzzin (1st+2 good prospects).
OldNYIfan liked this.
Jun. 12, 2019 at 2:59 p.m.
Hurricane Waddell
The Canes trade continue to get worse
OldNYIfan liked this.
Jun. 12, 2019 at 3:02 p.m.
GM Hockeysaurus Rex
As for trades:
EDM - fair and good
COL - not a chance in hell you are getting 1st rounder in any Marleau deal (also no trading Liljegren)
CAR - holy **** thats bad. Hamilton is worth much more and Carolina wants nothing to do with Zaitsev

As for rest of the points:
1) eh I can argue he deserves less than 10 but 10.6 is fine.
2), 3) also good ones. I believe Johnsson signs for less.
4) BUT McQuaid would possibly retire this summer (concussion symptoms)
5) I like Marchment as 4LW.
6) Rosen was atrocious in few games he played after callup. Borgman is imo better player for NHL.
OldNYIfan liked this.
Jun. 12, 2019 at 3:02 p.m.
Quoting: Lenny7
-I just don't know that Liljegren's value has gone up. That's right about where he was picked, and I think straight up it would make sense for Colorado, but they could draft a similar player there, and save themselves the cap space to acquire an impact player.
-Given that it'll cost someone like Bracco to get rid of the $21 mil owed to Zaitsev, this move makes no sense for Carolina. You say "Carolina is blessed at RHD", and then trade them a cap dump that's a RHD. The cost of Hamilton is likely similar to that of Muzzin (1st+2 good prospects).

Exactly, avs can just keep the pick and draft Morriz seider and not have 6.5m In wasted cap space
Lenny7 and OldNYIfan liked this.
Jun. 12, 2019 at 3:03 p.m.
Laughs at NYI Fans

Given the circumstance in Colorado, I feel they're in a "Win now" situation and would likely trade for an NHL ready mobile D. This wouldn't happen if they didn't have the 4th overall pick.

In regards to Carolina, I think Pesce becomes the new #1 on the top pair with Slavin and both Hamilton and Faulk get dealt for needs upfront. Bringing in Zaitsev still helps them and I don't think salary is an issue. Furthermore, Bracco's value is way more than the two prospects dealt to LA for Muzzin.
Jun. 12, 2019 at 3:07 p.m.
Quoting: Loops
Given the circumstance in Colorado, I feel they're in a "Win now" situation and would likely trade for an NHL ready mobile D. This wouldn't happen if they didn't have the 4th overall pick.

In regards to Carolina, I think Pesce becomes the new #1 on the top pair with Slavin and both Hamilton and Faulk get dealt for needs upfront. Bringing in Zaitsev still helps them and I don't think salary is an issue. Furthermore, Bracco's value is way more than the two prospects dealt to LA for Muzzin.

Marleau isn’t a win now move, and liljegren wouldn’t Even. Make the team, so what are you taking about, you made a bad homer trade, own it.

If they wanted to win now by trading the 16th overall pick there are a 100 other trades that actually would be win now over what you proposed
OldNYIfan and Lenny7 liked this.
Jun. 12, 2019 at 3:10 p.m.
Laughs at NYI Fans
Marleau isn’t a win now move, and liljegren wouldn’t Even. Make the team, so what are you taking about, you made a bad homer trade, own it

The Marleau buyout wouldn't even affect the Avs and have you looked at their D-core? LOL

The first could be an over payment but the reality is the Avs have zero cap issues and no need for that 16th pick. I think you over value the depth of the draft vs position the Avs are currently in.

I do enjoy/appreciate your insight though
Jun. 12, 2019 at 3:12 p.m.
The Marleau buyout wouldn't even affect the Avs and have you looked at their D-core? LOL

The first could be an over payment but the reality is the Avs have zero cap issues and no need for that 16th pick. I think you over value the depth of the draft vs position the Avs are currently in.

Have you looked at the avs d Core, go take a look bc clearly you have no idea what’s on the roster.

Barrie Johnson makar girard zadarov cole, who is losing their job there?
OldNYIfan liked this.
Jun. 12, 2019 at 3:19 p.m.
Once a Kings Fan Too
Have you looked at the avs d Core, go take a look bc clearly you have no idea what’s on the roster.

Barrie Johnson makar girard zadorev cole, who is losing their job there?

Which is why I Just don't believe that they're going to draft Byram.
Jun. 12, 2019 at 3:23 p.m.
Lenny7

Colorado's current D-Core: Barrie, Johnson, Makar, Zadorov, Girard, Cole, Nemeth and Graves with Timmins and Meloche as young depth. If they need an NHL dman, they can use that 6 mil that they save from the Marleau trade and go out and get someone who's a lot more NHL ready than a guy who has yet to surpass 44 games in his career.

I'm not going to argue why Zaitsev is a cap dump, because it's been done here about a million times. Even if he's not, that's not even close to the proper value to get Hamilton. Again, compare it to the Muzzin trade (Hamilton>Muzzin, but let's just call them square). He netted them a 1st, NHL ready prospect, and a solid D prospect. You're giving them an overpaid guy who'll play on their bottom pair and an NHL ready prospect. You're missing the mark by a long shot.
Jun. 12, 2019 at 3:25 p.m.
Jangle29
You overpaid Marner (and compared him to Rantanen who is actually better than Marner so I am confused). He shouldnt crack 10
You overpaid Johnsson. Leafs offered him 2.1 for 2 years just a couple months ago, he declined but I dont see them fitting him in at that number. He is 24 years old and has 20 career goals. Think about that
Kapanen will be traded. There is wayyyyyy too much smoke about that to not be a fire. Hes likely in a package for a dman just not sure who. If its for Hamilton you may have to triple that package you made lol
Jun. 12, 2019 at 3:25 p.m.
Quoting: OldNYIfan
Which is why I Just don't believe that they're going to draft Byram.

It sounds like they are more interested in Dach and Turcotte from early indications which makes a lot of sense. If they do go Byram is more of a long term safety net bc of Unknown Barrie situation of trade or Re-Sign and potentially losing a guy like Zadorov in the expansion draft so in 2 years you have a guy like Byram to side in.
Jun. 12, 2019 at 3:27 p.m.
Colorado's current D-Core: Barrie, Johnson, Makar, Zadorov, Girard, Cole, Nemeth and Graves with Timmins and Meloche as young depth. If they need an NHL dman, they can use that 6 mil that they save from the Marleau trade and go out and get someone who's a lot more NHL ready than a guy who has yet to surpass 44 games in his career.

I'm not going to argue why Zaitsev is a cap dump, because it's been done here about a million times. Even if he's not, that's not even close to the proper value to get Hamilton. Again, compare it to the Muzzin trade (Hamilton>Muzzin, but let's just call them square). He netted them a 1st, NHL ready prospect, and a solid D prospect. You're giving them an overpaid guy who'll play on their bottom pair and an NHL ready prospect. You're missing the mark by a long shot.

I dont care about Zaitsev, this is about Liljegren and you laughing at how you made the comment have you even looked at your D core. Yeah I have and Liljegren wouldnt take anyones spot and would behind a guy like Timmins on the depth charts with how high they are on the kid.

Liljegren is a nice prospect but he isnt anything special from hat they could just select at 16th overall. again its a bad trade, and you are making it look even worth with how you are trying to justify it now
Jun. 12, 2019 at 3:27 p.m.
Once a Kings Fan Too
It sounds like they are more interested in Dach and Turcotte from early indications which makes a lot of sense. If they do go Byram is more of a long term safety net bc of Unknown Barrie situation of trade or Re-Sign and potentially losing a guy like Zadorov in the expansion draft so in 2 years you have a guy like Byram to side in.

I hear Chicago is high on Turcotte, so your choice would be between Cozens and Dach.

I can't wait for the 21st.
Jun. 12, 2019 at 3:29 p.m.
Laughs at NYI Fans

Barrie Johnson makar girard zadarov cole, who is losing their job there?

Barrie is a UFA after this season and he's not going to resign with the Avs. Girard will need a contract. Cole and Johnson are both overpaid but so are a lot of other D.

So in a time where the cap floor is yours, Barrie will walk for free at the end of the season and you have the assets to get an A grade prospect who will be ready when needed vs drafting one who won't be ready for 3+ years you don't look into pulling the trigger?

I'm not even debating this as a Leafs fan at this point, I don't really see us needing the first rounder but I don't see a roster guy the Leafs would need from the Avs or the use the Avs have for the 16th pick as they have possession of the 4th. I just chose the Avs for asset purposes, their need for a D prospect and a buyout that won't even remotely hurt their cap.
Jun. 12, 2019 at 3:29 p.m.
Lenny7
I dont care about Zaitsev, this is about Liljegren and you laughing at how you made the comment have you even looked at your D core. Yeah I have and Liljegren wouldnt take anyones spot and would behind a guy like Timmins on the depth charts with how high they are on the kid.

Liljegren is a nice prospect but he isnt anything special from hat they could just select at 16th overall. again its a bad trade, and you are making it look even worth with how you are trying to justify it now

I think you may have quoted the wrong comment...
Jun. 12, 2019 at 3:31 p.m.
Quoting: OldNYIfan
I hear Chicago is high on Turcotte, so your choice would be between Cozens and Dach.

I can't wait for the 21st.

I would be pretty mad if they grabbed Cozens at 4, I dont like him at all and would rather take Zegras, Boldy, even Podkolzin before Cozens. My guess is if Turcotte is gone at 3, its going to be Dach. Then at 16 they go Dman Moritz Seider or they go for a home run swing on Arthur Kaliyev
Jun. 12, 2019 at 3:32 p.m.
Barrie is a UFA after this season and he's not going to resign with the Avs. Girard will need a contract. Cole and Johnson are both overpaid but so are a lot of other D.

So in a time where the cap floor is yours, Barrie will walk for free at the end of the season and you have the assets to get an A grade prospect who will be ready when needed vs drafting one who won't be ready for 3+ years you don't look into pulling the trigger?

I'm not even debating this as a Leafs fan at this point, I don't really see us needing the first rounder but I don't see a roster guy the Leafs would need from the Avs or the use the Avs have for the 16th pick as they have possession of the 4th. I just chose the Avs for asset purposes, their need for a D prospect and a buyout that won't even remotely hurt their cap.

ugh why is Barrie walking for free? Just bc you want to make this narrative to try to justify your bad trade even more...holy crap man you are really bad at this. Even when other leaf fans are saying its a bad trade....its a bad homerish trade. So in your little fantasy world does that mean Timmins or Meloche are not longer able to become NHL ready? Just Liljegren?...like my man just give it a rest, it was a stinker of an idea, move on and own It

You are not grasping the point of this, Liljegren isnt even worth the 16th overall pick straight up, thats why its a bad trade bc you are adding Marleau on top of that as well.
Jun. 12, 2019 at 3:41 p.m.
Would rather have Hainsey back then Mcquaid.. could probably sign him for a comparable value
Jun. 12, 2019 at 5:13 p.m.
Once a Kings Fan Too

I'm trying to envision a circumstance in which a team has no need for the 16th overall pick. Even Tampa Bay, which recorded 200 points or whatever it was during the regular season, could use that pick inasmuch as they bombed out in the first round of the playoffs.

If you made me guess at a trade including Marleau which would persuade Colorado to give us their first-rounder, I would say Kapanen, Liljegren and Marleau. But I wouldn't like it.

Actually, now that I think about it, I can imagine a team that doesn't need that #16 pick -- Toronto. We would be much better off if we had one of Colorado's RhD's instead of the pick, which won't be useful until this season is long in the rear-view mirror.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll