Forums/Armchair-GM

Acceptable Marner Contracts

Created by: zackleafs
Team: 2019-20 Toronto Maple Leafs
Initial Creation Date: Jul. 19, 2019
Published: Jul. 19, 2019
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
Ideally, he signs for as long as possible. I still think he would be overpaid if he signs any of these suggested contracts but I think this is fair for both sides.
Free Agent Signings
CREATEDYEARSCAP HIT
Marner, Mitch
3$7,500,000
Marner, Mitch
6$8,750,000
Marner, Mitch
7$9,200,000
Marner, Mitch
8$9,800,000
Retained Salary Transactions
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the CBJ
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the CAR
Logo of the COL
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the SJS
Logo of the STL
Logo of the WPG
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
24$81,500,000$77,772,199$0$0$3,727,801
Left WingCentreRight Wing
Logo of the Toronto Maple Leafs
$3,400,000$3,400,000
LW, RW
UFA - 4
$11,634,000$11,634,000
C
UFA - 5
$6,962,366$6,962,366
RW
UFA - 5
$2,250,000$2,250,000
RW, LW
M-NTC
UFA - 2
$11,000,000$11,000,000
C, LW
NMC
UFA - 6
$5,300,000$5,300,000
RW
M-NTC, NMC
UFA - 1
$775,000$775,000
C, LW, RW
UFA - 2
$3,500,000$3,500,000
LW, C, RW
UFA - 4
$3,200,000$3,200,000
RW
UFA - 3
$737,500$737,500
LW
UFA - 2
$750,000$750,000
C
UFA - 1
$775,000$775,000
LW, RW
UFA - 2
$700,000$700,000
C, RW
NTC
UFA - 1
$675,000$675,000
C
UFA - 1
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$5,000,000$5,000,000
LD
UFA - 3
$4,500,000$4,500,000
RD
UFA - 1
$5,000,000$5,000,000
G
M-NTC
UFA - 2
$4,000,000$4,000,000
LD
UFA - 1
$2,750,000$2,750,000
RD
UFA - 1
$700,000$700,000
G
UFA - 1
$863,333$863,333
LD/RD
UFA - 1
$675,000$675,000
RD
UFA - 1
$725,000$725,000
LD
UFA - 1
$700,000$700,000
LD
UFA - 1
ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
Marner, Mitch
$7,500,000$7,500,000
Marner, Mitch
$8,750,000$8,750,000
Marner, Mitch
$9,200,000$9,200,000
Marner, Mitch
$9,800,000$9,800,000

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Jul. 19, 2019 at 2:03 p.m.
Quoting: mondo
when he plays 83 games next season he will tip the entire team into the right net.

just watch.

He’s probably just gonna hurt his shoulder again cause that’s what he does
Jul. 19, 2019 at 2:03 p.m.
....was... was there a first part to this....?

Ya the first part contained a guy telling me he was a leafs fan. I mean clearly he doesn't know anything...
Jul. 19, 2019 at 2:05 p.m.
Kings v5 GM
Quoting: FantasySens
You give up quick. I was expecting the prototypical leafs fan reaction of providing a 1001 analytical reasons as to why Marner isn't close to Matthews. So is the definition of "isn't close' around 500k? I mean maybe they can get Marner for 5 yrs at 11.134.

They dont want to sign marner to a 5 year deal. If they are it will be in the Aho range. He isnt worth even 10 on a 5 year deal
Jul. 19, 2019 at 2:05 p.m.
torontos finest
Quoting: linehan10
He’s probably just gonna hurt his shoulder again cause that’s what he does

well using a hockey stick to angle 20 people across a flat surface may be strenuous, but i have faith he can do it.
Jul. 19, 2019 at 2:06 p.m.
well using a hockey stick to angle 20 people across a flat surface may be strenuous, but i have faith he can do it.

I don’t bc usually he needs marner or tavares or Reilly to do the work for him but he gets the glory cause he’s the chosen one
Jul. 19, 2019 at 2:07 p.m.
torontos finest
I don’t bc usually he needs marner or tavares or Reilly to do the work for him but he gets the glory cause he’s the chosen one

please show more respect for maple leafs jesus. he may tip you into the net if you don't.
Jul. 19, 2019 at 2:09 p.m.
please show more respect for maple leafs jesus. he may tip you into the net if you don't.

He only tips things into the net when someone puts it on his tape, gonna take quite the pass
Jul. 19, 2019 at 2:11 p.m.
Quoting: Hockeygoalie53
Ok, Leafs fans need to stop using the Kucherov extension as a comparison to Marner, I know it fits into your narrative but it's not a fair comparison for 2 reasons... first, Kucherov went on record saying he took a TEAM FRIENDLY deal to help TPA with their CAP situation and still be able to sign players to stay competitive. Second, Florida has no state tax, so 9.5m goes much further in Florida then it would elsewhere. If Kucherov signed a non team friendly deal in any other city it likely would have been in the 11.5m range... Now, you can certainly argue that Marner should take the Kucherov approach and help Toronto out, but you simply can't use the CAP hit as a comparison, because the situations are not the same.

No, they are not the same. Kucherov was a UFA. Marner is an RFA. And the no state tax is mostly a red herring that has been beaten to death on this site. It doesn't hold near the weight that people would like it to.

All that said, it's fine if you don't want to use Kucherov as a comparable. Who would you like to use?

And if it's only AM that's fine too. But all the leafs need to say, which they more or less have with their offer, is that like most teams they put more value on 6 ft 3 225 franchise centers who score goals at an unprecedented rate than do for small but studly play making wingers. And then they offer to make him the 3rd highest paid winger in the game....

Like I said, if Mitch doesn't like that offer he's free to sign a better offer that comes his way. I doubt any do.. but all the power to him if he gets one.
Jul. 19, 2019 at 2:13 p.m.
Quoting: blowing_the_zone
No, they are not the same. Kucherov was a UFA. Marner is an RFA. And the no state tax is mostly a red herring that has been beaten to death on this site. It doesn't hold near the weight that people would like it to.

All that said, it's fine if you don't want to use Kucherov as a comparable. Who would you like to use?

And if it's only AM that's fine too. But all the leafs need to say, which they more or less have with their offer, is that like most teams they put more value on 6 ft 3 225 franchise centers who score goals at an unprecedented rate than do for small but studly play making wingers. And then they offer to make him the 3rd highest paid winger in the game....

Like I said, if Mitch doesn't like that offer he's free to sign a better offer that comes his way. I doubt any do.. but all the power to him if he gets one.

It only holds weight when the leafs are trying to sign someone. I’ll never forget sportsnet’s income tax calculator when Tavares was an FA
Jul. 19, 2019 at 2:14 p.m.
It only holds weight when the leafs are trying to sign someone. I’ll never forget sportsnet’s income tax calculator when Tavares was an FA

Yeah, the first thing that went wrong is that you took something from Sportsnet at face value.
Jul. 19, 2019 at 2:15 p.m.
torontos finest
He only tips things into the net when someone puts it on his tape, gonna take quite the pass

big cactus loves the big passes
Jul. 19, 2019 at 2:26 p.m.
Quoting: Jack_
They dont want to sign marner to a 5 year deal. If they are it will be in the Aho range. He isnt worth even 10 on a 5 year deal

I hate to say it bro, but you should probably just change your profile pic to Marner...he's the better player.
Jul. 19, 2019 at 2:27 p.m.

Ok, first, it does hold weight, it holds A LOT of weight. There is a reason why TPA was able to sign both Stamkos and Kucherov to deals under 10m per season, when both of them would have clearly gotten more on the market... Florida's lack of a state tax. It's at least a 1-2m difference on AAV depending on the amount, that's a huge difference that other teams would have to outbid them for.

Second, Kucherov was NOT a UFA. His previous deal would have expired after this past season and his status would have been RFA for this new contract.

Third, I'm sorry, but Matthews scores goals at an "unprecedented rate"??? In what world are goal totals of 40, 34 and 37 considered to be "unprecedented"? Ovechkin, who is wildly considered to be the best goal scorer in the game, consistenly pots 50+ a year and you're telling me 35-40 goals per season is "unprecedented"?? Even if you extrapolate out for full seasons, that still only puts Matthews in the low to mid 40's per season... that's great goal scoring, but hardly unprecedented... Come on man...

Lastly, while emphasis is put on goal scorers, Toronto may want to consider that before he played with Marner, Tavares never once potted 40 goals... so while Marner may not be a goal scorer, he certainly does elevate good goal scores into Great/Elite territory. Not many wingers can do that... and cue the "Tavares made Marner better" response in 3....2...1....
Jul. 19, 2019 at 2:31 p.m.
thank you for your opinions, fans of rival teams.

Lol fans of rival crap teams, Sens can't keep star players and Habs can't steal star players, keep yipping about Marner, no OS coming it would of happened if it was gonna happen. And until I see Boeser, Point, Liane, Connor, Tkachuck and the 3 or 4 other Top notch RFAs that are still unsigned at this point sign to 7+ AAV per season I'm not to worried about all this non existent leverage the kid has.
Jul. 19, 2019 at 2:31 p.m.
Kings v5 GM
Quoting: FantasySens
I hate to say it bro, but you should probably just change your profile pic to Marner...he's the better player.

Sure, you can say stuff but that doesnt mean its true. Nikita zaitsev is the sens best defenseman. It's not true but I said it so by law zaitsev is hereby the best defenseman the Sens have
Jul. 19, 2019 at 2:47 p.m.
Ok, first, it does hold weight, it holds A LOT of weight. There is a reason why TPA was able to sign both Stamkos and Kucherov to deals under 10m per season, when both of them would have clearly gotten more on the market... Florida's lack of a state tax. It's at least a 1-2m difference on AAV depending on the amount, that's a huge difference that other teams would have to outbid them for.

Second, Kucherov was NOT a UFA. His previous deal would have expired after this past season and his status would have been RFA for this new contract.

Third, I'm sorry, but Matthews scores goals at an "unprecedented rate"??? In what world are goal totals of 40, 34 and 37 considered to be "unprecedented"? Ovechkin, who is wildly considered to be the best goal scorer in the game, consistenly pots 50+ a year and you're telling me 35-40 goals per season is "unprecedented"?? Even if you extrapolate out for full seasons, that still only puts Matthews in the low to mid 40's per season... that's great goal scoring, but hardly unprecedented... Come on man...

Lastly, while emphasis is put on goal scorers, Toronto may want to consider that before he played with Marner, Tavares never once potted 40 goals... so while Marner may not be a goal scorer, he certainly does elevate good goal scores into Great/Elite territory. Not many wingers can do that... and cue the "Tavares made Marner better" response in 3....2...1....

Ah man, you're one of those guys who likes to argue for the sake of being right, or worse, to make the other person wrong. My little kids do that.. it's kinda cute but really tiring, so here goes..

Re Kucherov being a ufa. My bad. You are right. But like I said, if you don't like him as a comparable go ahead and pick any other player in the league and we can go from there. If AM is your only comparable, then like I said, that's fine. The leafs, like the rest of the league put more value on franchise centers. That's just how it works.

Re tax free states. I didn't say it doesn't hold weight, I said it holds far less weight than people would like it to. The are a ton of variables that come into play. Taxation is but one. Endorsements, being paid in USD while living in Canuckastan, legacy deals, the evil genius of accountants etc are but a few.

Re Matthew's scoring at an unprecedented rate. Check 5 v5 goals per 60. Unprecedented.

Re Marner playing with JT. Somewhere in this contract chaos it's being lost that the whole point is to win hockey games.. not pad stats and beef up or limit contracts. JT and Mitch are a great tandem. They both got a bump by playing together, with Marner enjoying the greater bump of the 2

Re continuing this dialogue with you. I don't have the foggiest what you're looking for here. I keep saying all the power to Mitch if he can get a better offer than what the leafs have on the table. Its just that I doubt he gets it. You seem to be insisting the leafs have to pay Marner AM money. They don't. And the won't.
Jul. 19, 2019 at 3:01 p.m.
Ah man, you're one of those guys who likes to argue for the sake of being right, or worse, to make the other person wrong. My little kids do that.. it's kinda cute but really tiring, so here goes..

Re Kucherov being a ufa. My bad. You are right. But like I said, if you don't like him as a comparable go ahead and pick any other player in the league and we can go from there. If AM is your only comparable, then like I said, that's fine. The leafs, like the rest of the league put more value on franchise centers. That's just how it works.

Re tax free states. I didn't say it doesn't hold weight, I said it holds far less weight than people would like it to. The are a ton of variables that come into play. Taxation is but one. Endorsements, being paid in USD while living in Canuckastan, legacy deals, the evil genius of accountants etc are but a few.

Re Matthew's scoring at an unprecedented rate. Check 5 v5 goals per 60. Unprecedented.

Re Marner playing with JT. Somewhere in this contract chaos it's being lost that the whole point is to win hockey games.. not pad stats and beef up or limit contracts. JT and Mitch are a great tandem. They both got a bump by playing together, with Marner enjoying the greater bump of the 2

Re continuing this dialogue with you. I don't have the foggiest what you're looking for here. I keep saying all the power to Mitch if he can get a better offer than what the leafs have on the table. Its just that I doubt he gets it. You seem to be insisting the leafs have to pay Marner AM money. They don't. And the won't.

Honestly, i don't know why I come on here and argue with Leafs fans... they all think they are the smartest on the board and will pick and chose stats to prove their point. Case in point, you claim that Matthes scores goals at an "unprecedented" rate and then pick ONE category where he does that...what about overall?

And for the last time, tax free stats have a better advantage when trying to sign players... you can look back over all of sports and see countless times where players have signed with teams just because in the long run they got more money from a tax free state. Hell, Stamkos tested the market and chose to stay in Tampa because the 8.5m he got from TPA was a better deal because of the no tax issue.

As for a comparable to Marner, I'm not sure if there is one... at least not one I can think of right now. He's been trending up at a steady clip his first 3 seasons in the league and is still only 22 years old... so, to be completely honest, I'm not sure who a good wing comparable would be for Marner.
Jul. 19, 2019 at 3:04 p.m.
torontos finest
Honestly, i don't know why I come on here and argue with Leafs fans...

the biggest brains wonder why they do something and proceed to do it.
Jul. 19, 2019 at 3:15 p.m.
Honestly, i don't know why I come on here and argue with Leafs fans... they all think they are the smartest on the board and will pick and chose stats to prove their point. Case in point, you claim that Matthes scores goals at an "unprecedented" rate and then pick ONE category where he does that...what about overall?

And for the last time, tax free stats have a better advantage when trying to sign players... you can look back over all of sports and see countless times where players have signed with teams just because in the long run they got more money from a tax free state. Hell, Stamkos tested the market and chose to stay in Tampa because the 8.5m he got from TPA was a better deal because of the no tax issue.

As for a comparable to Marner, I'm not sure if there is one... at least not one I can think of right now. He's been trending up at a steady clip his first 3 seasons in the league and is still only 22 years old... so, to be completely honest, I'm not sure who a good wing comparable would be for Marner.

Well, try not arguing and see where that gets you..

Re Mathews, yet again. I could pick out several. I just don't see it as my responsibility to educate you. You can look some things up if you feel that I'm demeaning your intelligence

Re Stamkos signing in Tampa. All together now... there is an advantage to tax free states. It's just that it doesn't carry all the weight. I highly doubt that Stamkos chose to sig in TB just because of taxes... there mighta been a couple other factors at play with his choice

Re Marner and comparables. Marner doesn't have a comparable? Are you kidding me? Three years in the league and he hasn't broke 30 goals or 100 points, has never won anything, and that puts him in the rarefied territory of not having a comparable. Don't get me wrong, he's a great playing, but that could be one of the hottest of hit takes that I've ever seen..
Jul. 19, 2019 at 3:19 p.m.
habs_fan
thank you for your opinions, fans of rival teams.

buddy i may not like the leafs but i try not let that make my opinion biased
Jul. 19, 2019 at 3:37 p.m.
NGP22
Quoting: Trevorchef
Not sure what you mean by this. Aho had 83 points and Marner had 94 this past season. New math??

2.9 to 1.9 P/60
Jul. 19, 2019 at 3:38 p.m.
Well, try not arguing and see where that gets you..

Re Mathews, yet again. I could pick out several. I just don't see it as my responsibility to educate you. You can look some things up if you feel that I'm demeaning your intelligence

Re Stamkos signing in Tampa. All together now... there is an advantage to tax free states. It's just that it doesn't carry all the weight. I highly doubt that Stamkos chose to sig in TB just because of taxes... there mighta been a couple other factors at play with his choice

Re Marner and comparables. Marner doesn't have a comparable? Are you kidding me? Three years in the league and he hasn't broke 30 goals or 100 points, has never won anything, and that puts him in the rarefied territory of not having a comparable. Don't get me wrong, he's a great playing, but that could be one of the hottest of hit takes that I've ever seen..

Good grief dude... I said I don't know who would be a good comparable to Marner, not that he doesn't have one... sheesh. Oh, wait, I see the confusion, you must have stopped reading to throw your tantrum after I said "I'm not sure if there is one..." but never continued to read where I said "I'm not sure who a good wing comparable would be for Marner"... makes perfect sense for how Leafs fans act on here.. know it alls who resort to childish antics when their words are challenged and they actually have no backup for them...
Jul. 19, 2019 at 3:46 p.m.
Banned
So, explain this to me... if the Leafs overpaid Matthews and Nylander, why should Marner settle on not getting the same? I mean, you're right in that the Leafs don't have to continue the trend, but the opposite also goes in that Marner doesn't have to settle for less just because they Leafs picked him to stop a trend they started with previous players.

Matthews is an elite centre and the best 5v5 goal scorer in hockey. Nylander has elite analytics and makes less than 7 million. Neither were overpaid.
Jul. 19, 2019 at 3:55 p.m.
Good grief dude... I said I don't know who would be a good comparable to Marner, not that he doesn't have one... sheesh. Oh, wait, I see the confusion, you must have stopped reading to throw your tantrum after I said "I'm not sure if there is one..." but never continued to read where I said "I'm not sure who a good wing comparable would be for Marner"... makes perfect sense for how Leafs fans act on here.. know it alls who resort to childish antics when their words are challenged and they actually have no backup for them...

Lol. I almost want to respond in detail just to see how upset you'll get and how many circles you can twist yourself into.. but something tells me that this short response will be enough to get you going
Jul. 19, 2019 at 4:01 p.m.
LEAFSandBRUINSfan
Yeah I’d expect him to get 60 points. Anything more is just not gonna happen, he’s not that great

I can see maybe 70 depending on injuries

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll