Forums/Armchair-GM

WindJammer for Laine

Created by: Pmanningno2
Team: 2020-21 Montreal Canadiens
Initial Creation Date: Sep. 23, 2020
Published: Sep. 23, 2020
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
You said and i quote "Jets would consider this".

Jets fans, thoughts, please?
This is a massive overpayment from the Habs-Massive.
Trades
WPG
  1. Romanov, Alexander
  2. Suzuki, Nick
  3. 2020 1st round pick (MTL)
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the STL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the ANA
Logo of the WPG
Logo of the FLA
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the OTT
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the STL
Logo of the VGK
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the OTT
Logo of the PHI
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the STL
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
18$81,500,000$69,235,476$0$2,500,000$12,264,524
Left WingCentreRight Wing
Logo of the Montreal Canadiens
$5,500,000$5,500,000
LW, RW
UFA - 3
$3,083,333$3,083,333
C
UFA - 1
$3,750,000$3,750,000
RW, LW
NMC
UFA - 1
$4,800,000$4,800,000
LW, RW
UFA - 1
$1,400,000$1,400,000
C, RW, LW
UFA - 1
$2,600,000$2,600,000
RW, LW
UFA - 1
$3,400,000$3,400,000
LW, RW
UFA - 3
$925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$2,500,000$2M)
C
UFA - 1
Logo of the Winnipeg Jets
$4,995,000$4,995,000
C, RW, LW
UFA - 1
$2,400,000$2,400,000
LW, RW
UFA - 1
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$4,625,000$4,625,000
LD
M-NTC
UFA - 2
$7,857,143$7,857,143
RD
UFA - 6
$10,500,000$10,500,000
G
NMC
UFA - 6
$875,000$875,000
LD/RD
M-NTC
UFA - 4
$5,500,000$5,500,000
RD
M-NTC, NMC
UFA - 1
$4,350,000$4,350,000
G
UFA - 1
$1,750,000$1,750,000
LD/RD
M-NTC
UFA - 2
$925,000$925,000
LD/RD
UFA - 2

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Sep. 23, 2020 at 2:36 p.m.
Not sure this is enough. We also should add Norlinder & KK. Maybe a second also to get it as even as possible
Book_Hockey liked this.
Sep. 23, 2020 at 2:38 p.m.
Quoting: habs5232
Not sure this is enough. We also should add Norlinder & KK. Maybe a second also to get it as even as possible

Unless you move your top 10 players/assets, WindJammer will see any Laine deal as uneven.
Sep. 23, 2020 at 2:40 p.m.
Banned
not worth it
Sep. 23, 2020 at 2:42 p.m.
Habs fans are so thirsty
Pmanningno2 and Book_Hockey liked this.
Sep. 23, 2020 at 2:44 p.m.
Quoting: SweetRevenge19
Habs fans are so thirsty

We've got assets, some cap space and we had a little taste of the future in the play-inn/playoffs.
We've got our reasons.
Book_Hockey liked this.
Sep. 23, 2020 at 2:45 p.m.
He still won't approve, you need to give your full roster, all your draft picks, and retain 50% of everyones salary, and build winnipeg a new arena and training facility.
Pmanningno2, Book_Hockey, CowSaysMoo and 1 other person liked this.
Sep. 23, 2020 at 2:49 p.m.
Jets laugh and run away with this. Also, don’t worry about him he struggles a bit with value.
habs5232, Book_Hockey, CowSaysMoo and 1 other person liked this.
Sep. 23, 2020 at 2:52 p.m.
windjammer looooooool
Sep. 23, 2020 at 3:00 p.m.
Quoting: tsyls
Jets laugh and run away with this. Also, don’t worry about him he struggles a bit with value.

1st, domi or danault & caufield?
Sep. 23, 2020 at 3:03 p.m.
This one would be close, but don't believe @tsyls . he's a fool and terrible at player values. That said I think the Jets would consider it if they want a futures heavy package, I don't know if they would do it.

How is it a massive over payment when Laine has done more before the age of 20 than both Habs players put together?
MisstheWhalers liked this.
Sep. 23, 2020 at 3:10 p.m.
Quoting: Windjammer
This one would be close, but don't believe @tsyls . he's a fool and terrible at player values. That said I think the Jets would consider it if they want a futures heavy package, I don't know if they would do it.

How is it a massive over payment when Laine has done more before the age of 20 than both Habs players put together?

the question becomes, is this Laine's ceiling, if so, it's still very good, just not what you'd be willing to mortgage your future for.
Book_Hockey liked this.
Sep. 23, 2020 at 3:13 p.m.
Quoting: KMMHL2012
the question becomes, is this Laine's ceiling, if so, it's still very good, just not what you'd be willing to mortgage your future for.

Understandable. But at the same time the risk is even greater on Winnipeg's side. The overall point though is that Winnipeg will require quality players that hurt to give up in return and not a bunch of spare parts that no longer serve a purpose for Montreal.
arafay and jgimp69 liked this.
Sep. 23, 2020 at 3:23 p.m.
Understandable. But at the same time the risk is even greater on Winnipeg's side. The overall point though is that Winnipeg will require quality players that hurt to give up in return and not a bunch of spare parts that no longer serve a purpose for Montreal.

Which is why other trades had Domi or Danault... a guy who has shown they can handle the 2C workload for 3-4 years with consistency, which is what winnipeg has been searching for 3 seasons and still hasn't addressed.

sometimes you have to take your bumps and bruises at certain positions to get better at others.

It's a bad trade to reference but Hall for Larsson was that, you lost a top line winger for a RD that you needed desperately.
in hindsight it was bad, they should've gotten Larsson, a pick and B+ prospect.

Which comes back to Montreal saying Danault or Domi, a 1st, and Mete or some other piece that is not an active roster player.
Winnipeg addresses it's 2C issue, gets a pick, and a prospect/roster player in exchange for downgrading their LW.

Winnipeg can't have its cake and eat it too, they aren't exactly a FA hotspot.
bunzy1034 liked this.
Sep. 23, 2020 at 3:25 p.m.

It's funny because when you say more than "Jets decline", you're very well spoken and come off as logical.
I think your affection for this play hinders the actual value.

But i will say, this is a tough trade to predict, as I can't remember a 22-year-old former 40 goal player being traded in recent history.
Sep. 23, 2020 at 3:33 p.m.
wpg
Well think about it, u have your needs we have our needs, Romanov is a quality prospect I get but at the left side defence where we r stacked with so we don’t need him pointless to have in the trade, he adds value I know but he’s more valuable to MTL then he is to WPG this we don’t look at him the same, a first is nice but it’s in the mid round so it has little value in a trade of this caliber, Suzuki is the main piece coming from the Habs for sure but MTL values him pretty high (understandably cause he has #1 potential and their lack of good center as for so long) he has very high value the jets as well but at the cost of Laine? Just no, prefer Laine cause he’s more proven and less risk (need to see more than 1 season in the NHL out of Suzuki first) and we would be digging another hole to fill one up... and Laine has more upside (I think) and fits more into the jets age group so......

All in all the package is more then enough for Laine but it’s worth way more to MTL then to us
So considering it... right words
Windjammer liked this.
Sep. 23, 2020 at 3:37 p.m.
Quoting: KMMHL2012
Which is why other trades had Domi or Danault... a guy who has shown they can handle the 2C workload for 3-4 years with consistency, which is what winnipeg has been searching for 3 seasons and still hasn't addressed.

sometimes you have to take your bumps and bruises at certain positions to get better at others.

It's a bad trade to reference but Hall for Larsson was that, you lost a top line winger for a RD that you needed desperately.
in hindsight it was bad, they should've gotten Larsson, a pick and B+ prospect.

Which comes back to Montreal saying Danault or Domi, a 1st, and Mete or some other piece that is not an active roster player.
Winnipeg addresses it's 2C issue, gets a pick, and a prospect/roster player in exchange for downgrading their LW.

Winnipeg can't have its cake and eat it too, they aren't exactly a FA hotspot.

But you're forgetting that the Jets have absolutely no reason to trade Laine. They own his rights for 3 more years. Domi with only 2 years to UFA isn't appealing and Danault as a rental isn't. Danault with a reasonable extension might be a starting point, but would require significant adds due to age.

You can also stop adding players like Mete and Kulak, like they have value, as every team has 4 or 5 bottom pairing guys kicking around or can sign them as FA's so they add no value.

So, if the Jets were forced to trade Laine, you might have a point, but in this case unless the Jets get exactly what they want, they just keep Laine and fill the holes with players that don't cost a premium asset. The Jets are a better team with Laine and other players filling the holes than they are with Danault or Domi and no Laine.
tsyls liked this.
Sep. 23, 2020 at 3:40 p.m.
Quoting: habs5232
1st, domi or danault & caufield?

I don’t know if a Laine to MTL trade works, only because the Jets have an extremely high price tag attached to Laine. One that MTL likely won’t pay, like reports are out that the ask for his is unreasonably high. Think the same as this trade in terms of value for what they’re asking for.
Sep. 23, 2020 at 3:43 p.m.
Quoting: HockeyFan989
Well think about it, u have your needs we have our needs, Romanov is a quality prospect I get but at the left side defence where we r stacked with so we don’t need him pointless to have in the trade, he adds value I know but he’s more valuable to MTL then he is to WPG this we don’t look at him the same, a first is nice but it’s in the mid round so it has little value in a trade of this caliber, Suzuki is the main piece coming from the Habs for sure but MTL values him pretty high (understandably cause he has #1 potential and their lack of good center as for so long) he has very high value the jets as well but at the cost of Laine? Just no, prefer Laine cause he’s more proven and less risk (need to see more than 1 season in the NHL out of Suzuki first) and we would be digging another hole to fill one up... and Laine has more upside (I think) and fits more into the jets age group so......

All in all the package is more then enough for Laine but it’s worth way more to MTL then to us
So considering it... right words

All very valid points. this is not a trade I've actually suggested before, it came up in discussions.
I've made, and seen plenty of trades which do fill your needs of 2C,(Danault extended and not ext, or Domi) 16th overall, Depth pieces and additional draft picks.

The point of this AGM was that I've never seen WindJammer accept a Laine trade.
Sep. 23, 2020 at 3:47 p.m.
Quoting: Pmanningno2
It's funny because when you say more than "Jets decline", you're very well spoken and come off as logical.
I think your affection for this play hinders the actual value.

But i will say, this is a tough trade to predict, as I can't remember a 22-year-old former 40 goal player being traded in recent history.

Sure, everyone likes their own players. You are just as guilty as overvaluing Montreal players as I am of Jet players.

However, people get too hung up on value. They think if the value is there, that a team is crazy to not make a trade. What I try to do is point out reality. If a trade doesn't meet team needs, or the contact situation isn't right or the age difference is too much, etc. the trade doesn't work as these are much more important considerations than "value in a vacuum".

And you are right, a player like Laine hasn't been traded at this age in recent memory, so it is very hard to peg a value.

In the end if Laine is traded, every Jet fan will be disappointed with the return, because Winnipeg will definitely have given up the best player and lost the trade.
tsyls liked this.
Sep. 23, 2020 at 3:48 p.m.
But you're forgetting that the Jets have absolutely no reason to trade Laine. They own his rights for 3 more years. Domi with only 2 years to UFA isn't appealing and Danault as a rental isn't. Danault with a reasonable extension might be a starting point, but would require significant adds due to age.

You can also stop adding players like Mete and Kulak, like they have value, as every team has 4 or 5 bottom pairing guys kicking around or can sign them as FA's so they add no value.

So, if the Jets were forced to trade Laine, you might have a point, but in this case unless the Jets get exactly what they want, they just keep Laine and fill the holes with players that don't cost a premium asset. The Jets are a better team with Laine and other players filling the holes than they are with Danault or Domi and no Laine.

See I agree with you here, Jets don’t have to move Laine and the price tag attached to him is ridiculously high. Like this exact trade type of high, Suzuki immediately fills our 2C need and Romanov solidifies an already stacked LD prospect pool. With this move it’s likely Heinola gets moved to the right side now, or he’s used in a trade to upgrade our defence right now. I honestly think the value is there. But MTL isn’t paying this price.
Sep. 23, 2020 at 3:53 p.m.

I won't say Peg has to trade Laine, but you can't go into the season with Wheeler as your 2 C can you? and as somebody alluded to above, you've got a position of strength to trade from being Wingers.
And Habs, have a position of strength to trade from in Center.

It IS a match made in heaven-it's just a matter of adding the right pieces that Peg needs/wants/perceived value.

And yes, of course - too overvalue our own players.
Sep. 23, 2020 at 3:53 p.m.

I won't say Peg has to trade Laine, but you can't go into the season with Wheeler as your 2 C can you? and as somebody alluded to above, you've got a position of strength to trade from being Wingers.

It IS a match made in heaven-it's just a matter of adding the right pieces that Peg needs/wants/perceived value.

Sep. 23, 2020 at 4:02 p.m.
Quoting: tsyls
See I agree with you here, Jets don’t have to move Laine and the price tag attached to him is ridiculously high. Like this exact trade type of high, Suzuki immediately fills our 2C need and Romanov solidifies an already stacked LD prospect pool. With this move it’s likely Heinola gets moved to the right side now, or he’s used in a trade to upgrade our defence right now. I honestly think the value is there. But MTL isn’t paying this price.

See you seem like a reasonable guy at times, but you always like to resort to childish name calling. As I've said many times, there are lots of trades that are good "value" wise, but most don't make sense needs wise.

I can totally understand Montreal not paying the price, but the thing I take issue with is when fans, like yourself at times, approach these discussions with the attitude that the Jets have no choice but to accept any offer that is even remotely close and if we say no, it's because we're being unreasonable. Because Jet fans valid concerns about age or contract or whatever, don't count.
tsyls and jgimp69 liked this.
Sep. 23, 2020 at 4:06 p.m.
See you seem like a reasonable guy at times, but you always like to resort to childish name calling. As I've said many times, there are lots of trades that are good "value" wise, but most don't make sense needs wise.

I can totally understand Montreal not paying the price, but the thing I take issue with is when fans, like yourself at times, approach these discussions with the attitude that the Jets have no choice but to accept any offer that is even remotely close and if we say no, it's because we're being unreasonable. Because Jet fans valid concerns about age or contract or whatever, don't count.

Hey man, I think I’ve only called you a fool, and said you don’t get value, mainly due to the fact that sometimes you’re a little unreasonable. But I also get why you’re that way because it’s almost never happened that a player like Laine and his age that scores 40 goals a year gets traded. The Jets have an extremely high price tag on him and not a lot teams will pay it. Which makes sense, so I get it’s annoying when Habs fans post unrealistic trades for Laine, but also I’ve seen some questionable Laine trades from wpg fans. I try to play both sides and see both arguments.
Sep. 23, 2020 at 4:08 p.m.
Quoting: Pmanningno2

That is really hard to say. I think Chevy is smart enough to know that he is better off keeping Laine and staying with what we have, than trading him for pieces that kind of, sort of fit, but aren't exactly what we need. That's why almost every trade would be turned down.

If it was easy to trade Laine and get exactly what the Jets need while making the other team happy, a deal would be done. But there may be only one or maybe no deal in the entire league that fits the bill.
tsyls liked this.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll