Forums/Armchair-GM

Looking for a Foligno apprentice

Created by: OutCold13
Team: 2021-22 Minnesota Wild
Initial Creation Date: Jan. 23, 2022
Published: Jan. 23, 2022
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
I gotta believe the Habs would like out from under Andersons contract. This move probably doesn't make sense for the Wild salary cap going forward.
Trades
MIN
  1. Anderson, Josh ($2,750,000 retained)
Additional Details:
Not sure what needs adding here but i am interested to see if Anderson could reach his potential if pushed by a guy like Foligno.
Buyouts
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the MIN
Logo of the MIN
Logo of the MIN
Logo of the MIN
Logo of the MIN
Logo of the SJS
Logo of the MIN
Logo of the MIN
Logo of the MIN
Logo of the MIN
Logo of the MIN
Logo of the MIN
Logo of the MIN
Logo of the MIN
Logo of the MIN
Logo of the MIN
Logo of the MIN
Logo of the MIN
Logo of the MIN
Logo of the MIN
Logo of the MIN
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
22$81,500,000$77,561,921$0$815,000$3,938,079
Left WingCentreRight Wing
Logo of the Minnesota Wild
$9,000,000$9,000,000
LW
UFA - 5
$1,700,000$1,700,000
C, RW
UFA - 3
$6,000,000$6,000,000
RW, LW
NMC
UFA - 3
$5,100,000$5,100,000
RW, LW
UFA - 1
$1,200,000$1,200,000
C, LW
UFA - 2
$880,833$880,833 (Performance Bonus$600,000$600K)
RW, LW
UFA - 2
$3,100,000$3,100,000
RW, LW
UFA - 3
$5,250,000$5,250,000
C
UFA - 8
$725,000$725,000
C
UFA - 1
$750,000$750,000
RW, LW
UFA - 2
$825,833$825,833 (Performance Bonus$82,500$82K)
LW, C
RFA - 1
Logo of the Montreal Canadiens
$2,750,000$2,750,000
RW, LW
M-NTC
UFA - 6
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$5,000,000$5,000,000
LD/RD
NMC
UFA - 1
$7,575,000$7,575,000
RD
NMC
UFA - 6
$3,666,667$3,666,667
G
UFA - 2
$1,125,000$1,125,000
LD/RD
M-NTC
UFA - 2
$6,000,000$6,000,000
RD
M-NTC
UFA - 2
$725,000$725,000
G
UFA - 1
$850,000$850,000
LD
UFA - 1
$795,000$795,000 (Performance Bonus$132,500$132K)
RD
RFA - 2
ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
$2,000,000$2,000,000
C
UFA - 1
$6,000,000$6,000,000
LD
NMC
UFA - 7
$900,000$900,000
LD/RD
UFA - 1
$900,000$900,000
C, RW
UFA - 1
Taxi Squad
$750,000$750,000 ($0$0$0$0)
LD
UFA - 1
$750,000$750,000 ($0$0$0$0)
G
UFA - 1

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Jan. 23, 2022 at 12:19 a.m.
Why not just keep Greenway? He doesn’t make more than that on in RFA and could pull the team friendly deal to hang around.
Jan. 23, 2022 at 12:22 a.m.
That doesnt "get Montreal out from the deal". Anderson at 5.5 is better than what they could find at 2.75 million.
OutCold13, ricochetii, GMs and 1 other person liked this.
Jan. 23, 2022 at 12:27 a.m.
Hockey Fan13
Quoting: jnowariak
Why not just keep Greenway? He doesn’t make more than that on in RFA and could pull the team friendly deal to hang around.

It's not about the cap i realize financial this doesn't work for Wild moving forward. Just looking for a young Foligno type not even sure Anderson has it in him.
Jan. 23, 2022 at 12:27 a.m.
Banned
You are also forced to get rid of fiala and greenway with this deal, and blocking Adam Beckman. Would be another nino money per say, and not leaving wild with any money to fill out roster
OutCold13 liked this.
Jan. 23, 2022 at 12:30 a.m.
Go Habs Go
Montreal doesn't want out of Anderson's contract.
OutCold13, Snipe52, GMs and 2 others liked this.
Jan. 23, 2022 at 12:31 a.m.
Hockey Fan13
Quoting: Wildnochance
You are also forced to get rid of fiala and greenway with this deal, and blocking Adam Beckman. Would be another nino money per say, and not leaving wild with any money to fill out roster

Your not wrong. This deal is probably bad for the Wild. I'm just looking for a Foligno type and Anderson was kinda on track but not sure he is a fit even if he was affordable.
Wildnochance liked this.
Jan. 23, 2022 at 12:47 a.m.
Quoting: Wildnochance

Beckman has been in the bottom-6 in Iowa most of the year. His overall game is nowhere near NHL quality.

As for the trade there isn't much reason for MN to make it. Greenway should be the same price or a little cheaper and a known quantity for MN.
Wildnochance liked this.
Jan. 23, 2022 at 12:49 a.m.
We already have it. There's no need to go looking for it.

He wears #21.

Evason has said multiple times that Duhaime has everything it takes to be a Foligno type of player. It's who he compares Duhaime to the most.

The kid just needs time and experience to get there.
Wildnochance and OutCold13 liked this.
Jan. 23, 2022 at 1:14 a.m.
Quoting: RazWild

He wears #21.

Evason has said multiple times that Duhaime has everything it takes to be a Foligno type of player. It's who he compares Duhaime to the most.

I don't see that upside for Duhaime. The puck skill, possession ability, and awareness aren't close to what Moose had even in his BUF days. I thought Duhaime started off the season well, but I haven't been impressed with his game since the start of Dec or so.
OutCold13 liked this.
Jan. 23, 2022 at 1:26 a.m.
Quoting: wabit
I don't see that upside for Duhaime. The puck skill, possession ability, and awareness aren't close to what Moose had even in his BUF days. I thought Duhaime started off the season well, but I haven't been impressed with his game since the start of Dec or so.

You don't have to. But if the Coach of a NHL team thinks he does, and has expressed that opinion in interviews with the media when talking about his team. I think I'll trust his opinion over yours.

There is obviously times when a Coach or GM will puff up their players to make them look better than they actually are. A rookie like Duhaime is not one of those times or players that they would do that for, if at all. They typically only do that when they're trying to move someone, case and point Rask.
Jan. 23, 2022 at 1:47 a.m.
You don't have to. But if the Coach of a NHL team thinks he does, and has expressed that opinion in interviews with the media when talking about his team. I think I'll trust his opinion over yours.

There is obviously times when a Coach or GM will puff up their players to make them look better than they actually are. A rookie like Duhaime is not one of those times or players that they would do that for, if at all. They typically only do that when they're trying to move someone, case and point Rask.

A rookie is the one you puff up the most. This is also the coach/GM that said only good things about having MarJo on the team last year. They aren't going to trash talk their own players to the press. This is also the coach that played him less than 15 mins total in the last two games (back-to-back). Lets not even get into playing Hunt/Addison at wing a few times the last couple of years and there are actual FWDs sitting in the pressbox/taxi squad.

Duhaime has a ways to go before I'd put him close to Greenway as a player and they are the same age.
Jan. 23, 2022 at 1:52 a.m.
Anderson was our 2nd best goal scorer last year and he is our 1st goal scorer this year despite missing games

But hey, let’s trade one of our top 3 forwards (Suzuki,Anderson,Toffoli)
Jan. 23, 2022 at 2:17 a.m.
Quoting: GMs
Anderson was our 2nd best goal scorer last year and he is our 1st goal scorer this year despite missing games

But hey, let’s trade one of our top 3 forwards (Suzuki,Anderson,Toffoli)

I just had to look. 8g is your top goal scorer so far, yikes. Rough year to be a Habs fan.
DollaBillaz and OutCold13 liked this.
Jan. 23, 2022 at 6:31 a.m.
Nick
Montreal is not desperate to get rid of Anderson and will define tl not retain cap on that long of a term.

Anderson, due to being a really rare type of player, has a lot of excess perceived value, especially with boomer GMs. Being a super speedy power forward with a good shot and physical presence will definitely be attractive in the eyes of many GMs. Even if his contract is bad, I think he would still get a high return without retention due to this.

Even if this weren’t the case and he was hard to trade (he’s not irl i can promise you that, especially in a league filled with GMs stuck in the past), MTL isn’t really looking to trade him atm anyway. We can always just trade Hoffman, Toffoli or Drouin if we wanted to trade a “top 6” winger. Heck, i’m sure Gallagher is on the block as well. If anything, I’d argue Anderson is maybe the least likely to be moved between these wingers.
OutCold13 and GMs liked this.
Jan. 23, 2022 at 12:20 p.m.
Beckman has been in the bottom-6 in Iowa most of the year. His overall game is nowhere near NHL quality.

I agree that he’s not NHL ready, but he’s being deployed to bottom 6 to round out his game. They don’t want him to be a Pitlick type where he can only be used in an offensive top 6 spot. He’s deliberately being paired with McLoed and Sucese to work on defense. Iowa is a development league and that aspect of his game needs improvement. It’s not because he’s like struggling or bad.
Jan. 23, 2022 at 12:36 p.m.
Hockey Fan13

He wears #21.

Well maybe but Duhaime needs to be a better scrapper. I don't think he scares anyone. He gets rocked a lot in fights.
Jan. 23, 2022 at 1:13 p.m.
I just had to look. 8g is your top goal scorer so far, yikes. Rough year to be a Habs fan.

Ducharme (HC) era lol
SevenLeg liked this.
Jan. 23, 2022 at 1:47 p.m.
Quoting: drmantalban
I agree that he’s not NHL ready, but he’s being deployed to bottom 6 to round out his game. They don’t want him to be a Pitlick type where he can only be used in an offensive top 6 spot. He’s deliberately being paired with McLoed and Sucese to work on defense. Iowa is a development league and that aspect of his game needs improvement. It’s not because he’s like struggling or bad.

That sounds good, but he's been in the bottom-6 because Rossi, Boldy, Rau, Dewar, and Shaw are better players. Get the puck, shoot the puck; that is all there is to Beckman's game. I've only watched a few Iowa games, but he hasn't impressed me at all.
Jan. 23, 2022 at 1:57 p.m.
Quoting: OutCold13
Well maybe but Duhaime needs to be a better scrapper. I don't think he scares anyone. He gets rocked a lot in fights.

I don't think winning or losing the a fight really matters much. The team gets an energy boost either way. Him fighting instead of Foligno is a win for MN. Duhaime isn't really missed if he's on the ice, the bench, or the sin bin. It just means Kap or Fiala get an extra shift with Sturm in his place. Foligno is missed if he's sitting in the box for 5 mins.
MNCountryClub and OutCold13 liked this.
Jan. 23, 2022 at 2:04 p.m.
That sounds good, but he's been in the bottom-6 because Rossi, Boldy, Rau, Dewar, and Shaw are better players. Get the puck, shoot the puck; that is all there is to Beckman's game. I've only watched a few Iowa games, but he hasn't impressed me at all.

Yeah there’s a lot he needs to develop to be a regular NHLer. But if he plays with talent like Rossi, he’ll only continue the habits of north south shoot first. Whether there’s better players taking top 6 spots or not doesn’t really matter. The best thing for his development right now is to be put in defensive duties. And that’s where they’re deploying him. Otherwise he takes shortcuts and relies on Rau/Rossi/Shaw etc to do the heavy lifting on D Zone, breakouts, etc.

Dewar proved he can play top 6 or bottom 6. Pitlick didnt. They want Beckman to be on the Dewar arc, not the Pitlick one.
Jan. 23, 2022 at 2:20 p.m.
Yeah there’s a lot he needs to develop to be a regular NHLer. But if he plays with talent like Rossi, he’ll only continue the habits of north south shoot first. Whether there’s better players taking top 6 spots or not doesn’t really matter. The best thing for his development right now is to be put in defensive duties. And that’s where they’re deploying him. Otherwise he takes shortcuts and relies on Rau/Rossi/Shaw etc to do the heavy lifting on D Zone, breakouts, etc.

Dewar proved he can play top 6 or bottom 6. Pitlick didnt. They want Beckman to be on the Dewar arc, not the Pitlick one.

Beckman and Dewar are completely different players. Dewar was already a 2-way player (just small) and Iowa was a good team then so he had to completely earn his ToI and work his way up in the lineup. If Beckman was on those same teams he'd be trading pressbox and games with Sokolov. Beckman at least seems to have a much better attitude than Sokolov did.

Beckman might turn into a NHL player, but it won't be for a few years. He's a rough prospect with a NHL shot. Pulkkinen is who he reminds me of the most.
Jan. 23, 2022 at 2:30 p.m.
Beckman and Dewar are completely different players. Dewar was already a 2-way player (just small) and Iowa was a good team then so he had to completely earn his ToI and work his way up in the lineup. If Beckman was on those same teams he'd be trading pressbox and games with Sokolov. Beckman at least seems to have a much better attitude than Sokolov did.

Beckman might turn into a NHL player, but it won't be for a few years. He's a rough prospect with a NHL shot. Pulkkinen is who he reminds me of the most.

Yeah I didn’t suggest they were similar players. The point is that you need to be able to play a 2 way game, and handle bottom 6 minutes. Dewar and Beckman are simply not good enough to only be offensive. Dewar has a 200 ft game and Beckman does not. Thus, stick him a defensive role and see if he can get there.

I have no idea if he’s gonna be able to round out his game and nor do I really care. He doesn’t have a place on the big club until he can play a complete game. They’re putting him in a spot where he’s most likely to develop that, which I think is smart and the best thing for him. But they’re not just burying him because he’s bad.
Jan. 23, 2022 at 2:37 p.m.
Yeah I didn’t suggest they were similar players. The point is that you need to be able to play a 2 way game, and handle bottom 6 minutes. Dewar and Beckman are simply not good enough to only be offensive. Dewar has a 200 ft game and Beckman does not. Thus, stick him a defensive role and see if he can get there.

I have no idea if he’s gonna be able to round out his game and nor do I really care. He doesn’t have a place on the big club until he can play a complete game. They’re putting him in a spot where he’s most likely to develop that, which I think is smart and the best thing for him. But they’re not just burying him because he’s bad.

They are playing him where he belongs as far as overall skill goes. He's just not a top-6 AHL player at this point in his career. I don't really care either way if he turns into anything more than an decent AHL player. He was a 3rd round pick after all. It's not like Phillips not turning into anything and wasting a 1st.

All I'm saying is nobody on the NHL team blocking him from taking a roster spot like others suggest.
Jan. 23, 2022 at 2:44 p.m.
They are playing him where he belongs as far as overall skill goes. He's just not a top-6 AHL player at this point in his career. I don't really care either way if he turns into anything more than an decent AHL player. He was a 3rd round pick after all. It's not like Phillips not turning into anything and wasting a 1st.

All I'm saying is nobody on the NHL team blocking him from taking a roster spot like others suggest.

No I agree, he’s def not being blocked. Anyone that thinks he’s a bona fide top 6 winger is mistaken. It’s possible he gets there, but it shouldn’t just be assumed that he’s ready to slot in with Ek and Moose next year.
Jan. 23, 2022 at 4:54 p.m.
Hockey Fan13
I don't think winning or losing the a fight really matters much. The team gets an energy boost either way. Him fighting instead of Foligno is a win for MN. Duhaime isn't really missed if he's on the ice, the bench, or the sin bin. It just means Kap or Fiala get an extra shift with Sturm in his place. Foligno is missed if he's sitting in the box for 5 mins.

Winning only matters in the way that it can make guys think twice before taking runs at star players.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll