Forums/Armchair-GM

This Team Looks Nice

Created by: TMLBRIAN
Team: 2021-22 Toronto Maple Leafs
Initial Creation Date: Feb. 4, 2022
Published: Feb. 4, 2022
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
This team would be super dangerous this year and next.

Vancouver get our 3 best prospects. We get their best player retained for this year and next. Milelr could play top line wing or 3C. Would be a good insurance at centre if Matthews or Tavares get injured.

Thoughts?
Free Agent Signings
CREATEDYEARSCAP HIT
Chiarot, Ben
1$875,000
Trades
TOR
  1. Chiarot, Ben ($1,750,000 retained)
MTL
  1. 2022 1st round pick (TOR)
  2. 2024 3rd round pick (TOR)
TOR
    to half retain Chiarot again
    ARI
    1. 2023 4th round pick (TOR)
    Retained Salary Transactions
    DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
    Logo of the TOR
    Logo of the TOR
    Logo of the TOR
    Logo of the TOR
    Logo of the TOR
    Logo of the TOR
    Logo of the TOR
    Logo of the TOR
    Logo of the TOR
    Logo of the TOR
    Logo of the TOR
    Logo of the TOR
    Logo of the TOR
    ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
    21$81,500,000$81,519,783$0$0-$19,783
    Left WingCentreRight Wing
    Logo of the Toronto Maple Leafs
    $950,000$950,000
    LW
    UFA - 2
    $11,640,250$11,640,250
    C
    UFA - 3
    $10,903,000$10,903,000
    RW
    UFA - 4
    $3,500,000$3,500,000
    LW, C, RW
    UFA - 2
    $11,000,000$11,000,000
    C, LW
    NMC
    UFA - 4
    $6,962,366$6,962,366
    RW
    UFA - 3
    $1,645,000$1,645,000
    LW, RW
    UFA - 1
    Logo of the Vancouver Canucks
    $2,625,000$2,625,000
    C, LW, RW
    UFA - 2
    $1,250,000$1,250,000
    RW
    UFA - 1
    $1,250,000$1,250,000
    RW, LW
    UFA - 1
    $1,500,000$1,500,000
    C
    UFA - 2
    $750,000$750,000
    C, RW
    UFA - 1
    Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
    $5,000,000$5,000,000
    LD
    NMC
    UFA - 1
    $5,000,000$5,000,000
    LD/RD
    NTC
    UFA - 3
    $1,650,000$1,650,000
    G
    UFA - 1
    $5,625,000$5,625,000
    LD
    NTC
    UFA - 3
    Chiarot, Ben
    $875,000$875,000
    $3,800,000$3,800,000
    G
    M-NTC
    UFA - 3
    $894,167$894,167
    LD
    UFA - 1
    $1,500,000$1,500,000
    LD/RD
    UFA - 2
    $2,000,000$2,000,000
    RD
    M-NTC
    UFA - 2
    ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
    Logo of the Montreal Canadiens
    $0$0
    LD/RD
    M-NTC
    UFA - 1
    Taxi Squad
    $863,333$863,333 ($0$0$0$0) (Performance Bonus$400,000$400K)
    RD
    RFA - 1
    $1,000,000$1,000,000 ($0$0$0$0)
    LW
    UFA - 1
    $900,000$900,000 ($0$0$0$0)
    RW, LW
    NTC
    UFA - 2

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
    • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
    Feb. 4, 2022 at 4:43 p.m.
    v5 Minnesota GM
    For trading inside the division the 3rd has to change to a 2nd or a 2nd round caliber prospect
    Feb. 4, 2022 at 4:45 p.m.
    Quoting: DucharmetheDOMinator
    For trading inside the division the 3rd has to change to a 2nd or a 2nd round caliber prospect

Bro getting a first for Benny is a stretch, if we CAN get a 1st it’s a done deal
    Campabee, SevenLeg, ZachHymanForTheHart and 2 others liked this.
    Sabresguy1897
    To bad you are over the cap
    Chariot is so bad he immediately nullifies how good miller is.
    Feb. 4, 2022 at 4:46 p.m.

Yeah, it would take the habs 1st for the leafs to take that contract
    Feb. 4, 2022 at 4:50 p.m.
    Quoting: Sabresguy1987
    To bad you are over the cap

19k over the cap. They make that work easily. Teams make a few hundred K over the cap work. They just go down to 20 players for a while and it works out.
    Feb. 4, 2022 at 4:52 p.m.

Divisional trades only matter when the teams are actually competiting against each other and if there is term. This is a trade for the rest of the year and it does not go into next year. So divion or not, it has no impact.

So they will treat the leafs just like any other team on Chiarot
    ricochetii liked this.
    Feb. 4, 2022 at 4:55 p.m.
    Quoting: JaredOfLondon
    Chariot is so bad he immediately nullifies how good miller is.

Ya he is not bad. He is playing number one minutes on MTL, so he is getting exposed. And their team is awful this year. Put him down to 19-20 minutes a game on the 2nd or 3rd pair, and he is much better suited.

The Leafs already have a perfectly capable top pairing in Rielly and Brodie. They are lights out. So they just need to boolster their bottom 3 D. This does that.
    Campabee liked this.
    Feb. 4, 2022 at 4:55 p.m.
    Chiarot = 1st (half retained) not going to get much more unless a bidding war starts (I don't think it will though TBH). That being said apparently Manson has Toronto listed as one of his 5 No-Trade destinations so that immediately raises their interest in Chiarot.

There are already 2 guys on this thread I would not take seriously (one on each side) I won't name them but I think you can guess who they are from their posts already lol.
    GMs and ricochetii liked this.
    Feb. 4, 2022 at 4:58 p.m.
    Quoting: Campabee
    Chiarot = 1st (half retained) not going to get much more unless a bidding war starts (I don't think it will though TBH). That being said apparently Manson has Toronto listed as one of his 5 No-Trade destinations so that immediately raises their interest in Chiarot.

There are already 2 guys on this thread I would not take seriously (one on each side) I won't name them but I think you can guess who they are from their posts already lol.

haha I see them! :P - Ya i paid the extra 3rd to get the deal done. Probably will take that, as I am sure quite a few teams will call on him. I assume a 4th for the double retention will be needed also.
    Campabee liked this.
    Feb. 4, 2022 at 4:59 p.m.
    1-0 them
    Quoting: GMs
    Bro getting a first for Benny is a stretch, if we CAN get a 1st it’s a done deal

don’t worry about those greedy Habs fans
    Feb. 4, 2022 at 5:01 p.m.
    Quoting: TMLBRIAN
    Ya he is not bad. He is playing number one minutes on MTL, so he is getting exposed. And their team is awful this year. Put him down to 19-20 minutes a game on the 2nd or 3rd pair, and he is much better suited.

The Leafs already have a perfectly capable top pairing in Rielly and Brodie. They are lights out. So they just need to boolster their bottom 3 D. This does that.

He is very bad. Hes been very bad for a while and now that he doesnt have danault etc covering for him its just that much more obvious. He has never been more than a decent depth guy even when he was on good teams.
    You put him on the 2nd or 3rd pair right now and he's making that pair worse.
    And if you're putting him on the 3rd pair why are you giving up that insane price.for him?
    Feb. 4, 2022 at 5:01 p.m.

Its cute when you talk about me to your friends
    Feb. 4, 2022 at 5:02 p.m.
    haha I see them! :P - Ya i paid the extra 3rd to get the deal done. Probably will take that, as I am sure quite a few teams will call on him. I assume a 4th for the double retention will be needed also.

I may be a Habs fan but my dad was a die hard Leafs fan and it would be nice to see them win for him since we lost him a couple years ago.
    Feb. 4, 2022 at 5:05 p.m.
    I may be a Habs fan but my dad was a die hard Leafs fan and it would be nice to see them win for him since we lost him a couple years ago.

Yes definitely. I am a Leafs fan but my dad is a die hard Habs fan. Would have been nice to see them win last year. Although I really didn't think they were good enough. The fact they beat Toronto and Vegas was shocking. My mind would have broke if they beat Tampa also. The better team didn not win In the Toronto and the Vegas series.

I can see them being competitive again next year with a few changes. Hoping they make them. (I have being saying that with buffalo for years and then they would go out and do the opposite of what I would say they should do and lose massively every year haha)
    Campabee liked this.
    Feb. 4, 2022 at 5:08 p.m.
    He is very bad. Hes been very bad for a while and now that he doesnt have danault etc covering for him its just that much more obvious. He has never been more than a decent depth guy even when he was on good teams.
    You put him on the 2nd or 3rd pair right now and he's making that pair worse.
    And if you're putting him on the 3rd pair why are you giving up that insane price.for him?

Leafs team is extremely deep. They have very few real holes. To make any upgrade on their team they are paying quite a bit. Chiarot would be good Muzzin insurance. We don't have anyone who looks or plays like Muzzin at all and he has been hurt the past 2 playoffs. Chiarot is not as good as muzzin but he would give the Leafs that phycial presence and is very capable if Muzzin goes down. So when healthy Chiarots role is smaller but if Muzzin goes down, he would have bigger opportunity. Hence why the Leafs pay a 1st + a bit for him.
    Feb. 4, 2022 at 5:09 p.m.
    torontos finest
    Would prefer to give Vancouver that first for Miller and save one of the prospects.
    Feb. 4, 2022 at 5:11 p.m.
    Leafs team is extremely deep. They have very few real holes. To make any upgrade on their team they are paying quite a bit. Chiarot would be good Muzzin insurance. We don't have anyone who looks or plays like Muzzin at all and he has been hurt the past 2 playoffs. Chiarot is not as good as muzzin but he would give the Leafs that phycial presence and is very capable if Muzzin goes down. So when healthy Chiarots role is smaller but if Muzzin goes down, he would have bigger opportunity. Hence why the Leafs pay a 1st + a bit for him.

Except that yiu need muzzin insurance to be good at defending. Chariot can not do that. He literally cannot stop forwards from doing anything offensively. He's slow, hes immobile and the only thing he's good at in the defensive zone is tipping pucks more at his own net while screening his own goalie.
    Cross checks and late hits are meaningless if thats all you can do
    Feb. 4, 2022 at 5:13 p.m.
    Quoting: mondo
    Would prefer to give Vancouver that first for Miller and save one of the prospects.

Yes definitely agree. But anytime I make the trade proposal Vancouver fans aren't happy that the 1st round pick is next year and not this years. So I went prospect heavy. And based on our team we won't need those prospects this year or next year and Vancouver may. I would be happy removing Amirov or Robertson and giving the 2023 first.
    Feb. 4, 2022 at 5:16 p.m.
    Deleted
    Id rather Robertson and Amirov tbh
    Feb. 4, 2022 at 5:17 p.m.
    Except that yiu need muzzin insurance to be good at defending. Chariot can not do that. He literally cannot stop forwards from doing anything offensively. He's slow, hes immobile and the only thing he's good at in the defensive zone is tipping pucks more at his own net while screening his own goalie.
    Cross checks and late hits are meaningless if thats all you can do

he played 25 minutes per game during their stanley cup run last year (tops on their team). He was top pairing with Weber. Their team wasn't stanley cup finalist worthy but none the less that is very telling that he can indeed play and make a big impact. Not sure why you hate him so much. He would be an improvement over Holl, Dermott, and Lily. And all 3 of those players are serviceable NHL players on a very good team.

We aren't trading for Victor Hedman here. Even the best of the best get completely exposed by the Mcdavid's of the world.
    ricochetii liked this.
    Feb. 4, 2022 at 5:22 p.m.
    he played 25 minutes per game during their stanley cup run last year (tops on their team). He was top pairing with Weber. Their team wasn't stanley cup finalist worthy but none the less that is very telling that he can indeed play and make a big impact. Not sure why you hate him so much. He would be an improvement over Holl, Dermott, and Lily. And all 3 of those players are serviceable NHL players on a very good team.

We aren't trading for Victor Hedman here. Even the best of the best get completely exposed by the Mcdavid's of the world.

And he got absolutely clobbered in those minutes. Every team at him alive and price, danault etc bailed him out. Ice time and being on a team that does well doesnt mean a player is good.
    I dont hate him, i just know he's awful. Like, literally look at any stat of his, any one. Every single stat is bad.
    Shots, chances, zone entries, hell even plus minus.
    And the only goos things people can say about him is that he plays a lot,cross checks people and the canadians exceeded expectations last season.

Chariot wasnt just getting exposed by the mcdavids, he was getting exposed by the kerfoots and the engvalls
    Feb. 4, 2022 at 5:23 p.m.
    Quoting: Nate
    Id rather Robertson and Amirov tbh

it's a lot to pay. But a point per game player at 2.625m cap a year for this year and next, who is a big body, can play wing, can play centre, has a great faceoff %. They become stanley cup favorites with Miller for this year and next.

So I would still pay it. I don't see Vancouver trading him unless they get a super package. Something on these lines or a Boldy/Rossi type of package from Min.
    Feb. 4, 2022 at 5:26 p.m.
    And he got absolutely clobbered in those minutes. Every team at him alive and price, danault etc bailed him out. Ice time and being on a team that does well doesnt mean a player is good.
    I dont hate him, i just know he's awful. Like, literally look at any stat of his, any one. Every single stat is bad.
    Shots, chances, zone entries, hell even plus minus.
    And the only goos things people can say about him is that he plays a lot,cross checks people and the canadians exceeded expectations last season.

Chariot wasnt just getting exposed by the mcdavids, he was getting exposed by the kerfoots and the engvalls

I trust that Dubas will make the right decision. I don't see him making a move unless it will be a legit upgrade over one of our guys.
    Feb. 4, 2022 at 5:27 p.m.
    I trust that Dubas will make the right decision. I don't see him making a move unless it will be a legit upgrade over one of our guys.

And i can assure you that chariot is not that

To create a post please Login or Register
    Question:
    Options:
    Add Option
    Submit Poll