SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/NHL

Prospect Discussion Thread #2

Jun. 6, 2022 at 1:29 p.m.
Go leafs go
Quoting: MatthewsFan
IMO Kallgren earned himself a longer look with the Leafs. He proved himself in the SEL and did not look out of place in his first stint this year. It is sooooo hard to predict what goalies are going to pop out of nowhere (Husso) Go look at Ville’s and Erik numbers pretty similar after their 1st go around in the NHL. Have no idea if Kallgren can pop like him but I am ok with the Leafs going with the Devil you know instead of the one you don’t.

They absolutely need to decide if they want Campbell next year or funding a new #1 but having Erik as the backup is ok with me.

HUSSO (2020-21) 9-6-1 Wins .893 SV% 3.21 GAA 1 shutout 27.86 XGA .815 HDSV%

KALLGREN (2021-22) 8-4-1 Wins .888 SV% 3.31 GAA 1 shutouts 22.62 XGA .771 HDSV%

Disclaimer: not saying he is the next Husso but predicting goalies is hard.

It's very possible that he becomes the next Husso, but Toronto is not in a position to guess about that. If he becomes the next Husso, great. Then your goaltending situation is set. But what if he doesn't? Then you're stuck with Campbell and Sparks/Hutch 2.0. No thanks.
Jun. 6, 2022 at 1:39 p.m.
I make typos
does anybody know why they keep having the Combine in Buffalo?
Saskleaf and zk97 liked this.
Jun. 6, 2022 at 1:48 p.m.
Ovchinnikov 137
Quoting: Saskleaf
It's very possible that he becomes the next Husso, but Toronto is not in a position to guess about that. If he becomes the next Husso, great. Then your goaltending situation is set. But what if he doesn't? Then you're stuck with Campbell and Sparks/Hutch 2.0. No thanks.

You'd be taking the same risks with any FA backup? There is not much out there
Scott Wedgewood
Eric Comrie
Casey DeSmith
Charlie Lindgren

The options are really slim.
Jun. 6, 2022 at 2:08 p.m.
Go leafs go
You'd be taking the same risks with any FA backup? There is not much out there
Scott Wedgewood
Eric Comrie
Casey DeSmith
Charlie Lindgren

The options are really slim.

There are also guys like Holtby, Fleury, Halak, Koskinen, heck even big save Dave that are all more proven options, that are less likely to blow up in your face. Or trade options like Georgiev and Reimer. I think Kallgren has a solid career ahead of himself, but I do not want to risk going into next season and having him struggle, and having no options behind him. I'd much rather sign someone who does the job well enough, and have Kallgren work his way in by his play. Even if he is the next Husso, then it would be best to have an "Allen" that you have before "Husso" breaks out, and then trade away the "Allen" afterwards, just in case Kallgren doesn't actually become Husso.
Jun. 6, 2022 at 2:49 p.m.
Ovchinnikov 137
There are also guys like Holtby, Fleury, Halak, Koskinen, heck even big save Dave that are all more proven options, that are less likely to blow up in your face. Or trade options like Georgiev and Reimer. I think Kallgren has a solid career ahead of himself, but I do not want to risk going into next season and having him struggle, and having no options behind him. I'd much rather sign someone who does the job well enough, and have Kallgren work his way in by his play. Even if he is the next Husso, then it would be best to have an "Allen" that you have before "Husso" breaks out, and then trade away the "Allen" afterwards, just in case Kallgren doesn't actually become Husso.

All good, agree to disagree. Holtby Koskinen, Rittich, Georgiev would scare me just as much as Kallgren scares you. I could get on board with Reimer but you have to imagine the Leafs are looking for a new #1 and unless the off load some salary, having a backup making less than a mil might have to happen.

Time will tell, will be interesting to see how this all plays out
Saskleaf liked this.
Jun. 6, 2022 at 3:23 p.m.
Quoting: oilersguy
does anybody know why they keep having the Combine in Buffalo?

They never make the playoffs so there’s nothing else going on there this time of year
oilersguy, AndrewLadd, SevenLeg and 1 other person liked this.
Jun. 6, 2022 at 3:25 p.m.
Bo Horvat enjoyer
Quoting: Alfie11
They never make the playoffs so there’s nothing else going on there this time of year

Wait the combine is in Buffalo and the Sabres still took Mittlestadt after he couldn’t do a single pull up 😭
oilersguy, Alfie11, SevenLeg and 2 others liked this.
Jun. 6, 2022 at 3:27 p.m.
Ban Price trades
Quoting: AndrewLadd
Wait the combine is in Buffalo and the Sabres still took Mittlestadt after he couldn’t do a single pull up 😭

Wasn't it Bennett that couldn't do pull-ups?

To answer the direct question, teams and players both really like the Buffalo venue. It's merely a mutually-agreed upon location.
AndrewLadd, oilersguy, Saskleaf and 1 other person liked this.
Jun. 6, 2022 at 3:27 p.m.
Hop on the Slaftrain

To be fair, except for Holtby and Fleury who won't sign in TOR, what these options have proven is they're either bad or washed. I feel like you take the same risk with Kallgren with maybe more upside and for cheaper.
Saskleaf liked this.
Jun. 6, 2022 at 3:28 p.m.

Pull-ups don't mean much I'd like to know what hockey motion needs good pull up skills, at least stuff like the dash, bike test, vertical, etc are related to a hockey motion/a hockey skill
Hop on the Slaftrain
Quoting: BeterChiarelli

To answer the direct question, teams and players both really like the Buffalo venue. It's merely a mutually-agreed upon location.

Mittelstadt also couldn't.
AndrewLadd, BeterChiarelli, oilersguy and 1 other person liked this.
Bo Horvat enjoyer
Quoting: BeterChiarelli

Both of them couldn’t do one push up I believe
BeterChiarelli liked this.
Jun. 6, 2022 at 3:29 p.m.
Bo Horvat enjoyer
“Hey Mitts could you do a pull up for us?”
Mitts:

ddXt0p1h.jpg
oilersguy, Saskleaf, EsoYeezus69 and 1 other person liked this.
Jun. 6, 2022 at 3:34 p.m.
EklundCelebriniSmith
Quoting: A_Habs_fan
Pull-ups don't mean much I'd like to know what hockey motion needs good pull up skills, at least stuff like the dash, bike test, vertical, etc are related to a hockey motion/a hockey skill

Quoting: SevenLeg
Mittelstadt also couldn't.

Both of them couldn’t do one push up I believe

Idk as a training professional myself I think it’s heavily a con on your resume.

Both are strength movements (yes there’s some skill to them and mobility/ stress in terms of your joints) but if I’m drafting either guy I’m quite weary of scoring poorly there as a pro athlete.

Bennett has found a decent game in Florida but I assume a lot of his upstick on production comes from the team - but he plays a pretty physical game and does well so it’s going alright.

But Casey has yet to really do anything notable imo. It’s less about the result to me and more about the process.

Why CANT you do a pull up, why CANT you do a push-up.

They’re both simple movements that require strength and not being able to move your own body weight as PRO athlete worries me personally in terms of why haven’t you increased your strength? They’re quite applicable in terms of; you’re going to be playing against guys who are 6’6 240; you should be strong in the NHL to have better chances of succeeding.

I wouldn’t necessarily drop them like “80 spots” but it is giving me questions into the “why”.
oilersguy, AndrewLadd, Saskleaf and 1 other person liked this.
Jun. 6, 2022 at 3:34 p.m.
Hop on the Slaftrain
David Scott, The Habs' sports psychologist, has apparently confused many prospects.

He asked Calle Odelius: "would you rather take a 10$ bill on the toilet seat or a 50$ bill inside the toilet?".

Filip Mesar said he was interviewed by 27 teams and the Habs was by far the hardest.
A_Habs_fan and Saskleaf liked this.
Jun. 6, 2022 at 3:40 p.m.
Ovchinnikov 137

casey-mittelstadt.jpg

Word is he **** his pants trying tho, just look at the determination lol
oilersguy, AndrewLadd, Saskleaf and 2 others liked this.
Jun. 6, 2022 at 3:41 p.m.
Quoting: yikes
Idk as a training professional myself I think it’s heavily a con on your resume.

Both are strength movements (yes there’s some skill to them and mobility/ stress in terms of your joints) but if I’m drafting either guy I’m quite weary of scoring poorly there as a pro athlete.

Bennett has found a decent game in Florida but I assume a lot of his upstick on production comes from the team - but he plays a pretty physical game and does well so it’s going alright.

But Casey has yet to really do anything notable imo. It’s less about the result to me and more about the process.

Why CANT you do a pull up, why CANT you do a push-up.

They’re both simple movements that require strength and not being able to move your own body weight as PRO athlete worries me personally in terms of why haven’t you increased your strength? They’re quite applicable in terms of; you’re going to be playing against guys who are 6’6 240; you should be strong in the NHL to have better chances of succeeding.

I wouldn’t necessarily drop them like “80 spots” but it is giving me questions into the “why”.

Great article from The hockey news on a research made between the correlation of combine results vs nhl results, apparently a good vertical and bike test means a higher likelyhood of early NHL success and lower scores on upper body exercises meant a higher likelyhood of a long career
oilersguy liked this.
Jun. 6, 2022 at 3:44 p.m.
EklundCelebriniSmith
Quoting: A_Habs_fan
Great article from The hockey news on a research made between the correlation of combine results vs nhl results, apparently a good vertical and bike test means a higher likelyhood of early NHL success and lower scores on upper body exercises meant a higher likelyhood of a long career

Oh yeah the application of combine -> is interesting.

Or how some teams care less about your score and more about your approach or your effort or so on.

It’s definitely interesting and more of a showing of mingling and learning about each kid.

I definitely as I said; wouldn’t use the combine to determine your draft position.

Some teams think VO2max is the best result/ only one that matters and so on.

Supposedly every team loves identifying the wingate test.
Jun. 6, 2022 at 5:31 p.m.
Im praying the top 13 goes like this:

1. MTL - Wright
2. NJD - Slaf
3. ARI- Cooley
4. SEA - Nemec
5. PHI - Jiricek
6. CBJ - Savoie
7. OTT - Geekie
8. DET - Lambert
9. BUF - Kemmel
10. ANA - Yurov
11. SJS - Lekerimaki
12. CBJ - Mateychuk
13. NYI - Nazar
yikes liked this.
Jun. 6, 2022 at 5:36 p.m.
EklundCelebriniSmith
Quoting: Db1899

1. MTL - Wright
2. NJD - Slaf
3. ARI- Cooley
4. SEA - Nemec
5. PHI - Savoie
6. CBJ - Jiricek
7. OTT - Kemell
8. DET - Lambert
9. BUF - Lekki
10. ANA - Yurov (I doubt ANA picks Yurov tho, which leads me to seeing ANA go Nazar and SJS Kasper)
11. SJS - Nazar (or Kasper;I want him, Lekki, or Nazar in SJ)
12. CBJ - Mateychuk
13. NYI - Kasper or Geekie

Personally I see it like this (BOLDED changes)
A_Habs_fan liked this.
Jun. 6, 2022 at 5:44 p.m.

I need Ottawa (or whoever they trade the #7 to) to take Geekie or Gauthier at 7. I'd be good with Kasper , Lambert, Lekerimakki or Nazar to the isles, but Nazar is by far my 1st choice.
Jun. 6, 2022 at 5:47 p.m.

Don't put that evil sh*t out there and say isles are taking Geekie lol
yikes liked this.
Jun. 6, 2022 at 6:02 p.m.
Go leafs go
Quoting: SevenLeg
To be fair, except for Holtby and Fleury who won't sign in TOR, what these options have proven is they're either bad or washed. I feel like you take the same risk with Kallgren with maybe more upside and for cheaper.

Fair, but at least then it’ll be a “you tried” scenario instead of “Dubas you suck for not even trying” scenario. Plus let’s not forget signing another goalie doesn’t mean Kallgren disappears.
SevenLeg liked this.
Jun. 6, 2022 at 6:06 p.m.
Go leafs go
All good, agree to disagree. Holtby Koskinen, Rittich, Georgiev would scare me just as much as Kallgren scares you. I could get on board with Reimer but you have to imagine the Leafs are looking for a new #1 and unless the off load some salary, having a backup making less than a mil might have to happen.

Time will tell, will be interesting to see how this all plays out

Agree to disagree is fine with me. And yes, time will tell who is right. I’d be happy to be wrong and have it work out. I just feel like this off-season is not the time to experiment with unproven commodities.
Jun. 6, 2022 at 6:09 p.m.
Quoting: Db1899

1. MTL - Wright
2. NJD - Slaf
3. ARI- Cooley
4. SEA - Nemec
5. PHI - Jiricek
6. CBJ - Savoie
7. OTT - Geekie
8. DET - Lambert
9. BUF - Kemmel
10. ANA - Yurov
11. SJS - Lekerimaki
12. CBJ - Mateychuk
13. NYI - Nazar

Looks good mock draft and rankings wise ( minus Geekie at 7 rankings wise )

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll