Forums/Armchair-GM

Scheifele

Created by: njlaforte
Team: 2021-22 Winnipeg Jets
Initial Creation Date: May 1, 2022
Published: May 1, 2022
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
On the Kenny and Renny postgame show, they were talking about potential Scheifele trades, and Ken Wiebe talked about some players that the Jets have been interested in over the years here are a few...

Braden Schneider and Alexis Lafreniere:

He said that during the Andrew Copp trade talks with the Rangers, both Schneider and Lafreniere's names came up. Obviously, the Jets would've had to add in a Copp/Schneider/Laf deal, but it shows that the Jets have been interested in them.

Brett Pesce:

Ken said that the Jets had talked of an Ehlers for Pesce deal but they couldn't get it done. In a Scheifele Pesce deal, the Canes would definitely have to add, but this would be a great pickup for the Canes.
Trades
WPG
  1. Lafrenière, Alexis
  2. Schneider, Braden
Additional Details:
**This is not the trade, but a trade involving these pieces sounds like a possibility
NYR
    Mark Scheifele
    WPG
    1. Jarvis, Seth
    2. Pesce, Brett
    Additional Details:
    **This is not the trade, but a trade involving these pieces sounds like a possibility
    CAR
      Mark Scheifele
      DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
      Logo of the WPG
      Logo of the NYR
      Logo of the STL
      Logo of the CBJ
      Logo of the ARI
      Logo of the WPG
      Logo of the WPG
      Logo of the WPG
      Logo of the WPG
      Logo of the WPG
      Logo of the NYR
      Logo of the WPG
      Logo of the WPG
      Logo of the WPG
      Logo of the WPG
      Logo of the WPG
      Logo of the WPG
      Logo of the WPG
      Logo of the WPG
      ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
      27$82,500,000$86,923,813$145,122$4,850,000-$4,423,813
      Left WingCentreRight Wing
      Logo of the Winnipeg Jets
      $7,142,857$7,142,857
      LW
      UFA - 5
      $6,125,000$6,125,000
      C
      M-NTC
      UFA - 3
      $8,250,000$8,250,000
      RW
      NMC
      UFA - 3
      $3,750,000$3,750,000
      C, LW
      UFA - 1
      $5,000,000$5,000,000
      C
      UFA - 1
      $6,000,000$6,000,000
      RW, LW
      UFA - 4
      $2,000,000$2,000,000
      LW, RW
      UFA - 1
      $3,250,000$3,250,000
      C
      M-NTC
      UFA - 5
      $900,000$900,000
      RW
      UFA - 1
      $750,000$750,000
      LW, RW
      UFA - 1
      $925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$850,000$850K)
      LW, RW
      RFA - 2
      $725,000$725,000
      LW
      UFA - 1
      $750,000$750,000
      C, LW
      UFA - 2
      Logo of the Carolina Hurricanes
      $894,167$894,167 (Performance Bonus$500,000$500K)
      RW
      RFA - 3
      Logo of the New York Rangers
      $925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$2,850,000$3M)
      LW, RW
      RFA - 2
      $725,000$725,000
      C
      UFA - 1
      Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
      $6,250,000$6,250,000
      LD
      UFA - 7
      $5,875,000$5,875,000
      RD
      UFA - 4
      $6,166,667$6,166,667
      G
      UFA - 3
      $5,950,000$5,950,000
      LD/RD
      M-NTC
      UFA - 4
      $3,000,000$3,000,000
      RD
      M-NTC
      UFA - 3
      $750,000$750,000
      G
      UFA - 1
      $3,900,000$3,900,000
      LD
      UFA - 3
      $925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$250,000$250K)
      LD
      RFA - 2
      $900,000$900,000
      LD
      RFA - 2
      Logo of the New York Rangers
      $925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$400,000$400K)
      RD
      RFA - 3
      Logo of the Carolina Hurricanes
      $4,025,000$4,025,000
      RD
      UFA - 3
      ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
      $894,167$894,167 (Performance Bonus$500,000$500K)
      LW, C
      RFA - 3

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
      • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
      May 1, 2022 at 10:29 p.m.
      Banned
      Futures for Scheifele? Sure. Brett pesce? Absolutely not.
      May 1, 2022 at 10:32 p.m.
      Pesse is a core player that’s an untouchable. With a team that values defensive depth I don’t see it happening with the canes.
      May 1, 2022 at 10:33 p.m.
      I also can’t see Laf being moved, not yet atleast. Schneider is probably a rangers untouchable as well for why he brings with his elc. I’d rangers go for a 2c it will probably be Copp since a he’s done very well there.
      Fox_Czar_Cup liked this.
      May 1, 2022 at 10:33 p.m.
      I don’t know why the jets would ever consider trading Ehlers this team would be unwatchable without him and Connor.
      njlaforte and MisstheWhalers liked this.
      May 1, 2022 at 10:35 p.m.
      Quoting: Jetsdood27
      I don’t know why the jets would ever consider trading Ehlers this team would be unwatchable without him and Connor.

Good thing they didn't agree on that trade years ago. Pesce is a great player and would've helped our defence a lot, but Ehlers is a dynamic player and IMO one of the best wingers in the NHL.
      May 1, 2022 at 10:36 p.m.
      Banned
      Carolina isn't dealing Pesce for 2 years of Mark Scheiefele. And the Rangers will just resign Andrew Copp for much cheaper than dealing for Mark Scheifele.
      Fox_Czar_Cup liked this.
      May 1, 2022 at 10:37 p.m.
      Quoting: njlaforte
      Good thing they didn't agree on that trade years ago. Pesce is a great player and would've helped our defence a lot, but Ehlers is a dynamic player and IMO one of the best wingers in the NHL.

Totally agree and has been grossly underutilizes until injuries recently forced him onto the top pp
      njlaforte and MisstheWhalers liked this.
      May 1, 2022 at 10:39 p.m.
      CbjSabresDucks
      Canes aren't trading 9 years of Pesce + Jarvis for 2 of Scheif IMO
      homiedaclown liked this.
      May 1, 2022 at 10:41 p.m.
      That Ehlers for Pesce deal was when both those players were having issues with living up to their potential… that has changed dramatically on the Ehlers front and he won’t be moved now.
      As for Pesce, I don’t see CAR parting with him unless they can get a defensive RHD back included in the return… if at all
      Likely be looking at something around Jarvis + Heimosalmi + 1st

Schneider should absolutely be a top target for Scheifele though I’d not want Laf included, and I doubt NYR part with him.. he’s only 2 years removed from being a 1OA pick.
      Schneider + Othman + NYR ‘23 1st would work for me, though LW isn’t really a big need.
      njlaforte and Jetsdood27 liked this.
      May 1, 2022 at 10:43 p.m.
      Quoting: CMcAvoy73
      Futures for Scheifele? Sure. Brett pesce? Absolutely not.

Futures is what they would likely get because contenders are the teams that will be interested in him and they wouldn't want to give up someone of Scheifele's level in return unless it is a PK for Weber or Hall for Larsson 1 for 1 situation where the other team wants a shakeup as well. But I don't think Laf, Schneider, and Jarvis are futures, they already play roles in the NHL.
      May 1, 2022 at 10:47 p.m.
      LongtimeLeafsufferer
      Sounds like the two broadcasters are "homers" and don't have any appreciation of other teams are the cap implications for teams that take on the most cap.
      In virtually any Scheifele trade it would have to a "contender" due to Schef's 2 years remains, and virtually all contenders have cap issues so some cap gymnastics have to done.

Of course the Jets and Jet fans want ELCs players and picks....but that doesn't work for the Rangers.
      TampaBayLightning22, HOCKEYBOY448, evelutions2 and 2 others liked this.
      May 1, 2022 at 10:51 p.m.
      Banned
      Futures is what they would likely get because contenders are the teams that will be interested in him and they wouldn't want to give up someone of Scheifele's level in return unless it is a PK for Weber or Hall for Larsson 1 for 1 situation where the other team wants a shakeup as well. But I don't think Laf, Schneider, and Jarvis are futures, they already play roles in the NHL.

With Schneider and lafreneire they’re value all comes from potential.

I referenced pesce because he’s a legit top pair d man. That isn’t getting moved. Jets fans seem to want guys like Pesce. It isn’t happening.
      May 1, 2022 at 11:24 p.m.
      Quoting: palhal
      Sounds like the two broadcasters are "homers" and don't have any appreciation of other teams are the cap implications for teams that take on the most cap.
      In virtually any Scheifele trade it would have to a "contender" due to Schef's 2 years remains, and virtually all contenders have cap issues so some cap gymnastics have to done.

Of course the Jets and Jet fans want ELCs players and picks....but that doesn't work for the Rangers.

They could retain salary on a Scheifele trade if they're going for a 2-3 years retool. It would make him easier to trade to a contender and raise his value.

Vegas managed to fit Eichel under their cap mid season (with help of LTIR). I think a contender could fit Scheifele in the summer.
      njlaforte liked this.
      May 1, 2022 at 11:40 p.m.
      Rangers are not trading for Schiefele, so Jets fans should move on. They traded for Copp to sign him at 2C and they are not moving Lafreniere or Schneider for anyone.
      HOCKEYBOY448 and Fox_Czar_Cup liked this.
      May 2, 2022 at 12:51 a.m.
      Every indication is that the Rangers are pushing to resign Copp before he becomes a ufa. He’ll be cheaper and has fit into the lineup really well. Plus we don’t have to trade any of our young guys with ELC’s for an expensive contract. A 925k salary is huge in terms of allowing more quality depth to be signed or added to fill out the lineup. Plus I personally am really bullish on Othmann and Schneider and have no interest in seeing them traded. Schneider just seems to get better with each passing game and Othmann looks like he’ll push for a spot next year.if we didn’t make the Copp move I think there could’ve been a fit, but with Copp I don’t see it anymore.
      Fox_Czar_Cup liked this.
      May 2, 2022 at 3:35 a.m.
      Why would u guys even wanna trade Scheifele to begin with?
      Crazy talk
      His point per game seasons are not why the Jets have been losing
      May 2, 2022 at 6:44 a.m.
      Lets Get Kraken
      You are absolutely mental if you think the Canes are trading Pesce AND Jarvis for a player who would ultimately fail in their system. Ehlers is a great player, but he is not worth trading Pesce for. Bottom line is, Canes aren’t trading Pesce, and the same goes for Jarvis. Unless we start talking about Connor, there is no chance Pesce or Jarvis get traded.
      May 2, 2022 at 6:59 a.m.
      Edited May 2, 2022 at 7:08 a.m.

The conversation between the two Sportsnet guys was couched on what has happened in the past and not current trade ideas and there was time spent on shooting down ideas from the chat. I suspect in future shows they will have more information what the market actually is for Scheifele. In terms of their views on the Jets, Reynolds is more critical of the Jets in terms of asset management, coaching, player buy in, while Wiebe tends to defend the Jets management and coaches quite often.

If any trade were to happen then the first real opportunity would be the run up to the draft, so there is plenty of time for beat reporters and national journalists to properly report on what the market actually is saying. In terms of national journalists, if it comes from Dreger that means it is from the Jets and if it comes from anyone else it means it is probably other teams or Scheifele's agent.
      njlaforte and palhal liked this.
      May 2, 2022 at 7:57 a.m.
      Quoting: Buffalove
      Why would u guys even wanna trade Scheifele to begin with?
      Crazy talk
      His point per game seasons are not why the Jets have been losing

Because he doesn't want to be in Winnipeg, and it seems like he is becoming a locker room cancer.
      Fox_Czar_Cup liked this.
      May 2, 2022 at 8:03 a.m.
      Quoting: Mr_Canoehead
      The conversation between the two Sportsnet guys was couched on what has happened in the past and not current trade ideas and there was time spent on shooting down ideas from the chat. I suspect in future shows they will have more information what the market actually is for Scheifele. In terms of their views on the Jets, Reynolds is more critical of the Jets in terms of asset management, coaching, player buy in, while Wiebe tends to defend the Jets management and coaches quite often.

If any trade were to happen then the first real opportunity would be the run up to the draft, so there is plenty of time for beat reporters and national journalists to properly report on what the market actually is saying. In terms of national journalists, if it comes from Dreger that means it is from the Jets and if it comes from anyone else it means it is probably other teams or Scheifele's agent.

Yep, they were just going through teams that make sense to add a Scheifele, and going through some players that they had been interested in over the past few seasons.

The bomb was just dropped yesterday, and now today I expect him to tell Chevy in his exit meeting that he wants out. Once that news gets out the media will start to speculate on who is interested.
      Mr_Canoehead liked this.
      May 2, 2022 at 8:06 a.m.
      Yep, they were just going through teams that make sense to add a Scheifele, and going through some players that they had been interested in over the past few seasons.

The bomb was just dropped yesterday, and now today I expect him to tell Chevy in his exit meeting that he wants out. Once that news gets out the media will start to speculate on who is interested.

Chevy's press conference today should be fun to watch. I expect good questions but few answers.
      njlaforte liked this.
      May 2, 2022 at 8:07 a.m.
      Chevy's press conference today should be fun to watch. I expect good questions but few answers.

Do you know if Scheif is speaking again, or was yesterday his year-end interview?
      Mr_Canoehead liked this.
      May 2, 2022 at 8:47 a.m.
      Do you know if Scheif is speaking again, or was yesterday his year-end interview?

I believe that is it for player and coach interviews. Cheveldayoff is the only one speaking today.

I guess the view is that the last week has been a season autopsy by various players and that yesterday there were extended press conferences so all has been said.
      njlaforte liked this.
      May 2, 2022 at 10:52 a.m.
      LongtimeLeafsufferer

Thanks for your insight. I believe so many reporters just "make stuff up" or just state the obvious. Many try to "outdo" one another so they look like "insiders" or have these unnamed "sources".
      Dreger has to be on the tops on my list.....how should I put it politely......being a blatant liar,
      Mr_Canoehead liked this.
      May 2, 2022 at 11:44 a.m.
      Edited May 2, 2022 at 11:52 a.m.
      Thanks for your insight. I believe so many reporters just "make stuff up" or just state the obvious. Many try to "outdo" one another so they look like "insiders" or have these unnamed "sources".
      Dreger has to be on the tops on my list.....how should I put it politely......being a blatant liar,

Its a weird dynamic in their post-game chat where they will display close to 1/3 to 1/2 (edit: maybe a quarter, there are a ton of posts) of the chat posts made on the screen no matter how crazy the fan take may be. Its an approach that I haven't seen on other youtube hockey shows. Their longform shows -- where they spend 30-45 minutes interviewing a guest -- is much more tame in terms of interaction.

Interesting take on Dreger. I haven't spent much time on what he says on other teams and other teams' players.
      palhal liked this.

To create a post please Login or Register
      Question:
      Options:
      Add Option
      Submit Poll