SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/NHL

Prospect Discussion Thread #3

Jul. 17, 2022 at 4:26 p.m.
WentWughes
Quoting: aadoyle
I feel they could have but then again another team could have been eyeing him and taken him before us.

Trading back while it gets you more picks sometimes can also screw you over

Meanwhile Montreal took Lane Hutson 62nd overall and he was the best player in rookie camp.
zk97, MatthewsFan and yikes liked this.
Jul. 17, 2022 at 4:55 p.m.
v5 CBJ GM
Quoting: KSIxSKULLS
Meanwhile Montreal took Lane Hutson 62nd overall and he was the best player in rookie camp.

chances are he wont be NHL ready this year just yet right
MatthewsFan liked this.
Jul. 17, 2022 at 4:57 p.m.
Ovchinnikov 137
Quoting: KSIxSKULLS

Quoting: Zuki9797

This is an awesome right up, you guys might have a stud here

Jul. 17, 2022 at 4:58 p.m.
WentWughes
Quoting: Zuki9797

Nawh 0 chance. He'll likely go back to College for a few years.
zk97 and yikes liked this.
Jul. 18, 2022 at 12:59 a.m.
Hakuna Matata
Was watching the interviews for the Leafs Development camp and I noticed something

The goalie we drafted: Dennis Hildeby

Looks and dressed like a real life shaggy from scooby doo

zk97 liked this.
Jul. 18, 2022 at 2:39 p.m.
Ovchinnikov 137

Calling it now (cause I want to it happen, putting it out in the universe) Knies will sign his ELC after the World Juniors and play this upcoming season, forgoing his college season.
yikes liked this.
Jul. 18, 2022 at 2:48 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Quoting: MatthewsFan

Calling it now (cause I want to it happen, putting it out in the universe) Knies will sign his ELC after the World Juniors and play this upcoming season, forgoing his college season.

That or he finishes NCAA plays and pulls a Makar (shows up in the playoffs and shows a sneak peak of what hes capable of)
yikes liked this.
Jul. 18, 2022 at 2:51 p.m.
Ovchinnikov 137
Quoting: aadoyle
That or he finishes NCAA plays and pulls a Makar (shows up in the playoffs and shows a sneak peak of what hes capable of)

Oh ya, he is playing next year, I just think it might (and hope) will be sooner than we think
Jul. 18, 2022 at 2:52 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Oh ya, he is playing next year, I just think it might (and hope) will be sooner than we think

Maybe but his NCAA team does have a really good shot at the title we will see.

If he went and won that then came and helped us win a round instant favourite lul
Jul. 18, 2022 at 3:03 p.m.

I think he stays at the University of Minnesota. Even without Ben Meyers and Blake McLaughlin (and presumably Samuel Walker as well), they've still got a really good team. Knies, Chaz Lucius, Ryan Johnson, Jackson LaCombe, Logan Cooley, Ryan Chesley, Jimmy Snuggerud for NHL prospect notables (all 1st or 2nd rounders) are either already there or joining this season, plus some guys like Connor Kurth (2022 6th rounder), Luke Mittelstadt (undrafted, but was in the conversation to be), and Rhett Pitlick (2019 5th). They've got a shot at the NCAA title again this year, if they get a goalie.
A_Habs_fan liked this.
Jul. 18, 2022 at 3:09 p.m.
Ovchinnikov 137
Quoting: Alfie11
I think he stays at the University of Minnesota. Even without Ben Meyers and Blake McLaughlin (and presumably Samuel Walker as well), they've still got a really good team. Knies, Chaz Lucius, Ryan Johnson, Jackson LaCombe, Logan Cooley, Ryan Chesley, Jimmy Snuggerud for NHL prospect notables (all 1st or 2nd rounders) are either already there or joining this season, plus some guys like Connor Kurth (2022 6th rounder), Luke Mittelstadt (undrafted, but was in the conversation to be), and Rhett Pitlick (2019 5th). They've got a shot at the NCAA title again this year, if they get a goalie.

Agreed, he is more than likely staying for all the reasons you just listed. A boy can dream
Jul. 19, 2022 at 11:54 a.m.
Ovchinnikov 137

Always interesting to see his lists.
pinslack, zk97, yikes and 1 other person liked this.
Jul. 19, 2022 at 11:55 a.m.

How is Boston 32, they still have guys like Lysell, Lohrei, can’t even name a Pens prospect not named Sam Poulin ( POJ, Ty Smith aren’t prospects imo )
BuFfaLOFaN and yikes liked this.
Jul. 19, 2022 at 12:05 p.m.
Ovchinnikov 137
Quoting: A_Habs_fan
How is Boston 32, they still have guys like Lysell, Lohrei, can’t even name a Pens prospect not named Sam Poulin ( POJ, Ty Smith aren’t prospects imo )

Ya, they are not deep but I'd still put them in the mid 20's.

Look forward to seeing how the OTT fans react to this
BuFfaLOFaN, A_Habs_fan and yikes liked this.
Jul. 19, 2022 at 12:16 p.m.
Quoting: A_Habs_fan

The model is not high on Lysell because of his production.

Byron’s model is solid, but it’s not perfect. You appreciate it more after you’ve been following him for a while and you can come to your own conclusions about a player. For example, if you follow a player in liiga or the SHL who is buried on the 4th line with limited ice time , Byron’s model might give him a low NHL probability and star probability even if that player has solid numbers in those minutes. His model tracks points per game.
pinslack, BuFfaLOFaN, yikes and 1 other person liked this.
Jul. 19, 2022 at 12:23 p.m.

The McGuire drafting effect lol
pinslack, MatthewsFan, zk97 and 2 others liked this.
Jul. 19, 2022 at 12:27 p.m.

Sanderson alone should put the Sens in the top half. If he’s got Pinto still as a prospect too (some do, some don’t) then there’s no question. Plus there’s all the depth with guys like Greig, JBD, Thomson (these first 3 are all better prospects than several teams’s best guy), Boucher, Jarventie, Sokolov, Kleven, Hamara, Sogaard, etc. Unbelievable. Every time this guy posts anything just gives me more reason to never trust anything he says. If his model says the Sens have the 29th best prospect pool, the model is flawed, there’s no other way of looking at it.
BuFfaLOFaN and Saskleaf liked this.
Jul. 19, 2022 at 12:34 p.m.
Ovchinnikov 137
Sanderson alone should put the Sens in the top half. If he’s got Pinto still as a prospect too (some do, some don’t) then there’s no question. Plus there’s all the depth with guys like Greig, JBD, Thomson (these first 3 are all better prospects than several teams’s best guy), Boucher, Jarventie, Sokolov, Kleven, Hamara, Sogaard, etc. Unbelievable. Every time this guy posts anything just gives me more reason to never trust anything he says. If his model says the Sens have the 29th best prospect pool, the model is flawed, there’s no other way of looking at it.

Ya, take this rankings with a grain of salt, forecasting/projecting who will make it and who won't is not easy. I think Wheeler had the Sens around 17 in his rankings, it's all subjective.
Jul. 19, 2022 at 12:42 p.m.
Ya, take this rankings with a grain of salt, forecasting/projecting who will make it and who won't is not easy. I think Wheeler had the Sens around 17 in his rankings, it's all subjective.

Does Bader just add pNHLe without weighting it? I can’t think of any other world where Sanderson doesn’t raise the Sens higher unless you can match a guy with 104 pNHLe with 21 7th rounders with a pNHLe of 5 lol. Even if you heavily weight star probability over likelihood of playing in the NHL, surely Sanderson is top 5 outside the NHL in that. Or maybe his is just another model that way overrates every tiny, skilled forward
yikes liked this.
Jul. 19, 2022 at 12:43 p.m.
Ovchinnikov 137
Does Bader just add pNHLe without weighting it? I can’t think of any other world where Sanderson doesn’t raise the Sens higher unless you can match a guy with 104 pNHLe with 21 7th rounders with a pNHLe of 5 lol. Even if you heavily weight star probability over likelihood of playing in the NHL, surely Sanderson is top 5 outside the NHL in that. Or maybe his is just another model that way overrates every tiny, skilled forward

Well, we are 11th
Alfie11, aadoyle and yikes liked this.
Jul. 19, 2022 at 12:56 p.m.
Edited Jul. 19, 2022 at 1:03 p.m.

Lol, Buffalo has Portillo, UPL, Levi, and Leinonen for goalie prospects. But somehow they are ranked 25th in Goalie Rank and 7th overall with clearly the best prospect pool in the world. OTT has sanderson alone and they are bottom 5.
Bflo_Soldier liked this.
Jul. 19, 2022 at 12:58 p.m.
Well, we are 11th

I mean I like Knies, Niemela, and Robertson. I wouldn’t take them over Sanderson, Greig, Thomson, and JBD though. And then the Sens depth wipes Toronto’s as far as I’m concerned (the guys I mentioned above vs. Moldenhauer, Hirvonen, Minten… and like 8 other guys [on top of 3 of those 6] that are below 6’ and offense only guys, of whom the best are Abruzzese and who, Holmberg?). Idk man. You’ve gotta count Amirov and be super high on both him and Robertson to even come close, as well as think Niemela and Sanderson is a wash, which I obviously don’t.
yikes liked this.
Jul. 19, 2022 at 1:10 p.m.
Ovchinnikov 137
I mean I like Knies, Niemela, and Robertson. I wouldn’t take them over Sanderson, Greig, Thomson, and JBD though. And then the Sens depth wipes Toronto’s as far as I’m concerned (the guys I mentioned above vs. Moldenhauer, Hirvonen, Minten… and like 8 other guys [on top of 3 of those 6] that are below 6’ and offense only guys, of whom the best are Abruzzese and who, Holmberg?). Idk man. You’ve gotta count Amirov and be super high on both him and Robertson to even come close, as well as think Niemela and Sanderson is a wash, which I obviously don’t.

I am not, nor should anyone I guess have Amirov as a prospect. Just him getting healthy and back to living a normal life should be paramount. Hockey should be secondary.

I love the Leafs but I am with you, outside of Knies, Robertson, Niemela, Holmberg, Douglas, Steeves, Voit (tiny but really impressed with his puck protection) and my dream prospect Ovchinnikov I don't see very many prospects that could help the Leafs. I would have not had an issue if they were in the late teens early twenties.

For me Abruzzese, Kral, Tverberg, Hirvonen, Minten, Villeneuve, Miettinen, Rindell, Kokkonen, Gogolev are all LONG shots to play in the NHL.
Alfie11 liked this.
Jul. 19, 2022 at 2:12 p.m.
I am not, nor should anyone I guess have Amirov as a prospect. Just him getting healthy and back to living a normal life should be paramount. Hockey should be secondary.

I love the Leafs but I am with you, outside of Knies, Robertson, Niemela, Holmberg, Douglas, Steeves, Voit (tiny but really impressed with his puck protection) and my dream prospect Ovchinnikov I don't see very many prospects that could help the Leafs. I would have not had an issue if they were in the late teens early twenties.

For me Abruzzese, Kral, Tverberg, Hirvonen, Minten, Villeneuve, Miettinen, Rindell, Kokkonen, Gogolev are all LONG shots to play in the NHL.

Yeah, I exclude Amirov as well. If he recovers (priority #1) and is able to play again then great, but no pressure or anything.

I think Minten will play, he’s got decent size, I just don’t see him as more than a defensive-minded 4C. All the other small, skilled forwards the Leafs have are realistically competing for a single top six slot that I think will honestly just be Robertson’s. So I think that all the guys you mentioned, plus like SDA, Abramov, etc. will be on the outside looking in. Maybe one more squeaks into the bottom six (like Hirvonen has a decent two-way game, he could turn into a Blackwell-esque energy guy), but yeah they’ve drafted a lot of guys to fill a role that they’ve got Robertson for lol
Jul. 19, 2022 at 2:19 p.m.
Ovchinnikov 137
Yeah, I exclude Amirov as well. If he recovers (priority #1) and is able to play again then great, but no pressure or anything.

I think Minten will play, he’s got decent size, I just don’t see him as more than a defensive-minded 4C. All the other small, skilled forwards the Leafs have are realistically competing for a single top six slot that I think will honestly just be Robertson’s. So I think that all the guys you mentioned, plus like SDA, Abramov, etc. will be on the outside looking in. Maybe one more squeaks into the bottom six (like Hirvonen has a decent two-way game, he could turn into a Blackwell-esque energy guy), but yeah they’ve drafted a lot of guys to fill a role that they’ve got Robertson for lol

Ya, I am not high on Minten being anything more than a David Kampf lite. He has the tools to be an effective bottom six winger if he reaches his ceiling (needs to improve his faceoff's if he wants to stick at C)

At the end of the day all you really need is 1 or two players each year pushing for a spot. With trades and free agency they always seem to add players of need. They have done well with signing undrafted FA and their own picks to have that happen. You can't take away how f'd up the 2015-2016-2017 drafts were for them. They hit on their 1st no question but nothing else. Kyle has done a much better job at stocking the cupboards and giving them as many prospects that COULD reach than before.
BuFfaLOFaN liked this.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll