Forums/Armchair-GM

Ultra-Aggressive retool

Created by: JimBenning
Team: 2022-23 Vancouver Canucks
Initial Creation Date: Jul. 18, 2022
Published: Jul. 18, 2022
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
Bo Horvat re-signs for $6.5x8. And Poolman is LTIR/Top 6 D, depending on his fitness and when he can return to the line-up.

Canucks goaltending is top 5. The defense is top 10. The offense is top 10-15, depending on Pettersson and Boeser’s form heading into the season. This is a fast + skill team that can compete for the Stanley Cup
Free Agent Signings
RFAYEARSCAP HIT
6$5,000,000
Trades
VAN
  1. 2024 3rd round pick (DAL)
Additional Details:
It is a trade in form of a buyout. Only costs $1.5x2
DAL
  1. Myers, Tyler ($1,500,000 retained)
Additional Details:
Dallas replaces Klingberg on the Right Side, with Myers, at an affordable cap hit. Heiskanen takes over PP duties, while Myers adds a more physical, shutdown presence on the 2nd pair
VAN
  1. Marino, John
  2. Severson, Damon
Additional Details:
Canucks add two Top 4 D on a good cap hit, locked up long term. They lose the trade in terms of value, but the stability on the Right Side is invaluable. Canucks haven’t had that since 2011

Note* The trade depends on whether Severson re-signs ($5x5 or $5x6) with the Canucks or not.
NJD
  1. Miller, J.T.
Additional Details:
JT Miller is top 10 in points for the last 3 seasons, on a bad to mediocre Canucks team. JT Miller can Center the second line, or make a superstar line with Hughes and Bratt. New Jersey becomes an elite offense overnight. And with Hamilton-Nemec on the Right Side, New Jersey is set in that position for the next 5-6 years.

Note* The trade depends on whether JT Miller re-signs with the Devils or not
VAN
  1. Necas, Martin [RFA Rights]
Additional Details:
Necas re-signs for $5x6. Canucks need a 3C, and Necas is reportedly on the trade block. Vancouver rebuilds their Center depth, and get younger and faster at the same time
CAR
  1. 2023 1st round pick (VAN)
  2. 2023 2nd round pick (VAN)
  3. 2023 3rd round pick (VAN)
Additional Details:
Canucks pay a ransom to take Necas out of Carolina. 2023 is a deep draft, and Carolina would be stupid to not accept this proposal. They are already deep on offense and do not need Necas on their 3rd/4th line, especially at the AAV he would be asking
VAN
  1. 2023 4th round pick (DET)
Additional Details:
Canucks lose the trade in terms of value, but get much needed cap flexibility
DET
  1. Pearson, Tanner
Additional Details:
Detroit takes advantage of Canucks cap situation and gets a Top 6/9 F in Pearson for relative cheap. Pearson compliments the hard, defensive system Detroit is trying to build. He plays a similar hard nosed, physical game to Perron and Copp, and is a great forechecker.
VAN
    Canucks need cap flexibility, and can’t wait for Dickinson to rebound. They have to move on, and pay the assets required to dump his contract. It is a similar return to what Toronto got for Nick Ritchie who had a $2.5x2 cap hit.
    SEA
    1. Dickinson, Jason
    2. 2023 4th round pick (VAN)
    3. 2024 4th round pick (VAN)
    Additional Details:
    Seattle adds a Top 9 F in Dickinson. Before this season, he was a solid 3C and Top 9 winger in Dallas, who played a hard, physical, 2-way game. He had a bad year in Vancouver, but he can definitely rebound and give Seattle value at next year’s trade deadline as a rental
    Buyouts
    Retained Salary Transactions
    DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
    Logo of the NYR
    Logo of the DET
    Logo of the VAN
    Logo of the VAN
    Logo of the VAN
    Logo of the VAN
    Logo of the VAN
    Logo of the DAL
    Logo of the VAN
    Logo of the VAN
    Logo of the VAN
    Logo of the VAN
    Logo of the VAN
    Logo of the VAN
    Logo of the VAN
    Logo of the VAN
    Logo of the VAN
    Logo of the VAN
    ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
    23$82,500,000$79,968,333$1,250,000$2,000,000$2,531,667
    Left WingCentreRight Wing
    Logo of the Vancouver Canucks
    $891,667$891,667 (Performance Bonus$300,000$300K)
    LW, RW
    RFA - 1
    $7,350,000$7,350,000
    C, LW
    UFA - 2
    $6,650,000$6,650,000
    RW
    UFA - 3
    $950,000$950,000 (Performance Bonus$850,000$850K)
    LW, RW
    UFA - 1
    $4,125,000$4,125,000
    C
    UFA - 1
    $4,950,000$4,950,000
    RW, LW
    UFA - 4
    $4,750,000$4,750,000
    LW, RW
    M-NTC
    UFA - 4
    $5,000,000$5,000,000
    RW
    RFA - 2
    $925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$850,000$850K)
    RW, LW
    RFA - 2
    $825,000$825,000
    LW
    UFA - 2
    $1,000,000$1,000,000
    RW, C
    UFA - 3
    $750,000$750,000
    RW
    UFA - 1
    $750,000$750,000
    LW
    UFA - 1
    Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
    $7,850,000$7,850,000
    LD
    UFA - 5
    Logo of the New Jersey Devils
    $4,400,000$4,400,000
    RD
    UFA - 5
    $5,000,000$5,000,000
    G
    UFA - 4
    $7,260,000$7,260,000
    LD
    NMC
    UFA - 5
    Logo of the New Jersey Devils
    $4,166,666$4,166,666
    RD
    UFA - 1
    $762,500$762,500
    G
    UFA - 2
    $850,000$850,000
    LD
    UFA - 2
    $2,500,000$2,500,000
    RD
    UFA - 3
    $1,500,000$1,500,000
    LD/RD
    UFA - 1
    $850,000$850,000
    RD
    UFA - 1
    ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
    $762,500$762,500
    RD
    UFA - 1
    $3,500,000$3,500,000
    LW, RW
    M-NTC
    UFA - 1

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
    • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
    Jul. 18, 2022 at 8:35 p.m.
    Canucks fan
    NJ is not giving up both Severson and Marino. Plus Dallas has Heiskanen, Miller, Hakanpaa on the right side so they have no use for Myers
    majormoose007, kdawg32086, Knuckl3s and 1 other person liked this.
    Jul. 18, 2022 at 8:36 p.m.
    Maybe once Nill signs Oetter and JRob y’all will stop sending your random dmen to Dallas. We already replaced Klinger with Marchment and Miller. Our six is set and we won’t have any cap left after RFAs
    Jul. 18, 2022 at 8:40 p.m.
    Quoting: WhereArtTLuongo
    NJ is not giving up both Severson and Marino. Plus Dallas has Heiskanen, Miller, Hakanpaa on the right side so they have no use for Myers

Nobody on here pays attention. They just see Klinger not signing in Dallas and says “hey let’s throw our over paid not particularly good defenseman at them” cuz they “need to replace Klinger.” They have cap space right now. I should probably check to see if they have players left to sign but nah here take Myers
    kdawg32086 liked this.
    Hurricanes politely decline. While 2023 is a very deep draft, Necas' upside is better than anyone that is drafted after I'd say 9 in this upcoming draft, but I understand the argument down to 13 right now. Canes need someone who can help take the load of KK at 2C and if that doesn't work, Necas will be of more value than an extra prospect in an incredibly deep draft. I think for Carolina, someone like Horvat at the deadline for Necas might make sense, but futures right now doesn't make sense.
    Knuckl3s and vikhodush liked this.
    MajorMoose
    unless Khudobin is coming back the Stars can't afford to bring in Myers with Robo and Otter needing new contracts and Jersey isn't giving up Marino and Severson yet unless Nemec is ready for a top 4 role right away
    Knuckl3s liked this.
    Jul. 18, 2022 at 8:42 p.m.
    All other trades aside, which don't work for the other teams, Detroit passes. No room on the roster for Pearson.
    Jul. 18, 2022 at 8:42 p.m.
    n.1 Topias Vilen fan
    z50xp-1619719725-16226-list_items-no.jpg
    Jul. 18, 2022 at 8:47 p.m.
    Vancouver Canucks
    Quoting: Caniac2000
    Hurricanes politely decline. While 2023 is a very deep draft, Necas' upside is better than anyone that is drafted after I'd say 9 in this upcoming draft, but I understand the argument down to 13 right now. Canes need someone who can help take the load of KK at 2C and if that doesn't work, Necas will be of more value than an extra prospect in an incredibly deep draft. I think for Carolina, someone like Horvat at the deadline for Necas might make sense, but futures right now doesn't make sense.

The point is Carolina can’t afford to pay Necas what his agent wants, and still be cap compliant. They have little to no cap space. And after this season, he is a huge question mark. He has been on the trade block for a while now. And I doubt any team pays more than this for Necas. Carolina can flip these assets at the trade deadline too, they don’t need to keep the picks
    Knuckl3s liked this.
    Jul. 18, 2022 at 8:49 p.m.
    Vancouver Canucks
    Quoting: Lancebmx
    All other trades aside, which don't work for the other teams, Detroit passes. No room on the roster for Pearson.

Detroit literally have $10M in cap space, and Pearson can play both LW and RW. His play style fits into what Yzerman wants as well
    Jul. 18, 2022 at 8:53 p.m.
    Quoting: JimBenning
    The point is Carolina can’t afford to pay Necas what his agent wants, and still be cap compliant. They have little to no cap space. And after this season, he is a huge question mark. He has been on the trade block for a while now. And I doubt any team pays more than this for Necas. Carolina can flip these assets at the trade deadline too, they don’t need to keep the picks

My dude, his agent can ask for whatever the hell he wants. After a season where he had 35 points in the first 2 months and finished the year with 5 total points from December to May and got demoted to the fourth line? He's not making more than 3.5. He's not arb eligible. Let him go look for an offer sheet. No one will sign him to what he wants. Either that, or you let him sign a deal and come back to the team. Trading Necas would be in a deal that works for Carolina now. Necas has more value than these picks to a team like... (PURE EXAMPLE) Boston in a Pastrnak trade. drafted, young, proven NHL players have more value than magic beans. There's no reason to take futures for him. They do nothing to make the team better now, and that's the goal at the end of the day.
    Jul. 18, 2022 at 9:01 p.m.
    Glep

Cmon man, if I’m Carolina I’m taking that, resigning Nino, and hoping Vancouver sucks. Picks are unprotected so that could be 1,33,65 in a very deep draft. It could also be 32,64,96 but you are definitely getting 3 good picks for necas. Knowing Carolina’s draft record they put it to good use too. Carolina gladly accepts and shuffles around the deck. Tbh I think an offer like that carolina cannot refuse, an overpay I may even say.
    JimBenning liked this.
    Jul. 18, 2022 at 9:03 p.m.
    Haha
    Jul. 18, 2022 at 9:04 p.m.
    “Lose on value.” RHD is most valuable position in game rn, even more than center. Severson, Wood, 2023 2nd. Can’t wait for Canucks fans to be disappointed if Miller is dealt
    Jul. 18, 2022 at 9:04 p.m.
    Quoting: Hurricanes73
    Cmon man, if I’m Carolina I’m taking that, resigning Nino, and hoping Vancouver sucks. Picks are unprotected so that could be 1,33,65 in a very deep draft. It could also be 32,64,96 but you are definitely getting 3 good picks for necas. Knowing Carolina’s draft record they put it to good use too. Carolina gladly accepts and shuffles around the deck. Tbh I think an offer like that carolina cannot refuse, an overpay I may even say.

I'm not arguing its value, I'm saying the way this is constructed is not of any help to the team. Carolina's question mark is 2C. Is Kotkaniemi ready? Without Kotkaniemi being ready, you either have Necas or Staal to play that role. I love Staal. At 2C? Please god have mercy. Not now, not for this. I like KK at 2C a lot better with a security blanket like Necas. Futures don't help that need for a team that has a relatively constricted window.
    Jul. 18, 2022 at 9:05 p.m.
    Vancouver Canucks
    My dude, his agent can ask for whatever the hell he wants. After a season where he had 35 points in the first 2 months and finished the year with 5 total points from December to May and got demoted to the fourth line? He's not making more than 3.5. He's not arb eligible. Let him go look for an offer sheet. No one will sign him to what he wants. Either that, or you let him sign a deal and come back to the team. Trading Necas would be in a deal that works for Carolina now. Necas has more value than these picks to a team like... (PURE EXAMPLE) Boston in a Pastrnak trade. drafted, young, proven NHL players have more value than magic beans. There's no reason to take futures for him. They do nothing to make the team better now, and that's the goal at the end of the day.

Canucks would literally sign him to what he wants, which is around $5x6. And rather than sign an offer sheet, and make an enemy of Carolina. The Canucks give them fair value, in terms of a 1st, 2nd and 3rd round pick. And Carolina would not put him on the trade block if they weren’t to move him. And they will not get an offer better than that. Again, they don’t have to keep the picks. They can trade them at the trade deadline in a package for Pastrnak or whichever player becomes available. They are deep on offense anyways. Trading Necas gives Carolina a lot of cap flexibility as well
    Jul. 18, 2022 at 9:05 p.m.
    Ur not getting two top 4 dmen for one 30 yo winger on an expiring contract. One of funniest trades I’ve seen on here
    Jul. 18, 2022 at 9:11 p.m.
    Canucks would literally sign him to what he wants, which is around $5x6. And rather than sign an offer sheet, and make an enemy of Carolina. The Canucks give them fair value, in terms of a 1st, 2nd and 3rd round pick. And Carolina would not put him on the trade block if they weren’t to move him. And they will not get an offer better than that. Again, they don’t have to keep the picks. They can trade them at the trade deadline in a package for Pastrnak or whichever player becomes available. They are deep on offense anyways. Trading Necas gives Carolina a lot of cap flexibility as well

He's not on the trade block. Every report from The Athletic, or Waddell, has said that the team wants to keep Necas. Keeping him makes the most sense. Futures don't help. Carolina's issue is 2C. Necas is the Canes security blanket there. With Necas, this Canes team is incredibly deep. Without him, there are a lot of questions about Kotkaniemi. You're putting the pressure of the market on him and that didn't work in Montreal. If Carolina does the same thing, we know the result. Necas is important for helping others succeed, and potentially being the answer if others faulter too.
    Jul. 18, 2022 at 9:13 p.m.
    Vancouver Canucks
    Quoting: Devsfan25
    “Lose on value.” RHD is most valuable position in game rn, even more than center. Severson, Wood, 2023 2nd. Can’t wait for Canucks fans to be disappointed if Miller is dealt

New Jersey literally have Hamilton and Nemec, they are going to be the Top 4 RD for New Jersey for the next 5-6 years. They have no need for Marino and Severson. And I highly doubt Severson re-signs with New Jersey anyways, with Hamilton and Nemec in his way on the depth chart. They get value out of him, along with Marino who they got for pretty cheap, in return for a top 10 forward in the NHL. A JT Miller-Hughes-Bratt line can easily put up 80+ points each and make them a force to come on offense for years. This trade literally puts New Jersey over the top, and a solid playoff team in the East, I highly doubt Fitz declines. He has been after JT Miller for a long time as well, and finally has the assets to pull of a trade
    Jul. 18, 2022 at 9:15 p.m.
    Vancouver Canucks
    Quoting: Devsfan25
    Ur not getting two top 4 dmen for one 30 yo winger on an expiring contract. One of funniest trades I’ve seen on here

First, he just turned 29 years old. And second, he is the same age as Gaudreau who New Jersey wanted to lock up for 7 years. Fitz clearly doesn’t care, and wants to win now. And this trade will do that. JT Miller is arguably the best power forward in the NHL. Nobody has more hits + points than JT Miller in the last 3 seasons
    Jul. 18, 2022 at 9:18 p.m.
    Vancouver Canucks
    He's not on the trade block. Every report from The Athletic, or Waddell, has said that the team wants to keep Necas. Keeping him makes the most sense. Futures don't help. Carolina's issue is 2C. Necas is the Canes security blanket there. With Necas, this Canes team is incredibly deep. Without him, there are a lot of questions about Kotkaniemi. You're putting the pressure of the market on him and that didn't work in Montreal. If Carolina does the same thing, we know the result. Necas is important for helping others succeed, and potentially being the answer if others faulter too.

Talking about the Athletic, Sara Civian literally said there is a 50-50 chance Necas gets traded. And she has the inside info on the Canes. Again, Necas and Carolina are far apart on negotiations. And rather than an offer sheet, you would much rather have a team trade for him and get fair value in return.

And again, if the Canes need is a 2C. They can flip the Canucks picks + their own for a 2C like Scheifele or Dubois. That will be more than enough to acquire them.
    Knuckl3s liked this.
    Jul. 18, 2022 at 9:26 p.m.
    Lets Get Kraken
    Canes are more than likely not going to trade Necas for futures, especially futures who won’t even be up at the NHL level for anywhere between 1-4 years. Like it has been said on here already, Necas is the security blanket for KK, and he very likely gets the trial by fire with KK. As for cap space, the main thing that would need to happen would be to dump Gardiner. That would grant the Canes the cap space to sign Necas and maybe even Nino as well. The Canucks first round pick would more than likely be around 12-16OA, which would likely put the prospect that gets drafted about 2 years or so away from the NHL, and that doesn’t help the Canes win now. Those 3 picks really aren’t an overpay, considering how much potential Necas still has.

I do think that to force the Canes hand, you would have to offer sheet Necas, and I don’t think the Canucks really want to do that.
    Jul. 18, 2022 at 9:27 p.m.
    Talking about the Athletic, Sara Civian literally said there is a 50-50 chance Necas gets traded. And she has the inside info on the Canes. Again, Necas and Carolina are far apart on negotiations. And rather than an offer sheet, you would much rather have a team trade for him and get fair value in return.

And again, if the Canes need is a 2C. They can flip the Canucks picks + their own for a 2C like Scheifele or Dubois. That will be more than enough to acquire them.

Why look for an external option when you have an internal option? Would rather just see Necas at 2C. He's a better 3 zone player than Schiefele and Dubois only wants Montreal. Cap isn't there for Kadri. Necas is the answer. Unless Jack Drury does an imitation of his uncle in his prime, Necas makes more sense within the organization.

Look at Civian's logic for it (and remember that she is just not good at what she does). A deal isn't close, but Carolina holds all the leverage. Necas had an awful year and openly wants to move back to his natural position. Seeing how Carolina has retaliated to offer sheets in the past, I think it's safe to say no one is dumb enough to try that again. Unlike Bear and DeAngelo, Necas was never given permission to shop his rights around either. If Necas isn't part of a package that fixes the holes in the Canes lineup, why move him? He's got more value than the magic beans of picks. Yeah, it *might* be a stud in a deep draft. But even 03 had its swings and misses. Necas is a proven NHL winger if nothing else. He's the better trade chip. There's no logic to this move. You're trying to force the idea that the picks could be flipped instead of Necas. But if Necas holds that value anyway, why not just use him as the main trade chip? He's a higher quality asset than the picks. It allows to start a conversation on a higher quality piece. Trading him for 3 picks makes no sense
    Jul. 18, 2022 at 9:31 p.m.
    Vancouver Canucks
    Quoting: evelutions2
    Canes are more than likely not going to trade Necas for futures, especially futures who won’t even be up at the NHL level for anywhere between 1-4 years. Like it has been said on here already, Necas is the security blanket for KK, and he very likely gets the trial by fire with KK. As for cap space, the main thing that would need to happen would be to dump Gardiner. That would grant the Canes the cap space to sign Necas and maybe even Nino as well. The Canucks first round pick would more than likely be around 12-16OA, which would likely put the prospect that gets drafted about 2 years or so away from the NHL, and that doesn’t help the Canes win now. Those 3 picks really aren’t an overpay, considering how much potential Necas still has.

I do think that to force the Canes hand, you would have to offer sheet Necas, and I don’t think the Canucks really want to do that.

If Canes want players instead of futures, they can literally trade the Canucks picks + their own for a Scheifele or Dubois. That will be more than enough to acquire them. Nobody said they have to keep the picks.
    Jul. 18, 2022 at 10:24 p.m.

Value is fair but he just doesn’t have a ton of leverage, especially without arb rights. Sure somebody could OS him but I don’t think it would be a long term deal, more like the KK deal since last year was pretty disappointing. The market for OS is pretty light too when you consider the flat cap - maybe the nucks have the space and the stones to do it but I can’t really see them or anybody else truly putting the screws to the canes with one.

I saw your other arguments for flipping those picks and using them on another piece at some point which are fair but if you look at what the canes have done this offseason it doesn’t seem like Necas is actually on the trade block. It’s been speculated that teams have called on him but the FO has said they’re not actively shopping him and don’t want to trade him. They gave Bear and TDA permission to seek trades bc they weren’t close on negotiations, had arb rights and weren’t planning on signing them most likely. They haven’t taken the same stance on Necas. It’s likely there’s another trade or two to be had for guys like Gardiner or Bear (or could buyout or bury Gardiner to clear space) so they can fit Necas in. They don’t have all the space in the world but they’re fairly flexible by design and can fit Necas in on the likely 2x3-4 deal he’ll end up getting.

What seems more likely to happen imo is he gets a bridge deal and starts the year here. If he performs well in camp RBA will give him the spot he earns and will get the chance to prove himself as 2C. If things don’t work out they make a move at the TDL with him to get what they need. Plus it’s very likely injuries occur throughout the year so while they’re stacked today, that might not be the case halfway through the season. Never hurts to have good players in your bottom 6.
    evelutions2 liked this.
    Jul. 18, 2022 at 11:03 p.m.
    New Jersey literally have Hamilton and Nemec, they are going to be the Top 4 RD for New Jersey for the next 5-6 years. They have no need for Marino and Severson. And I highly doubt Severson re-signs with New Jersey anyways, with Hamilton and Nemec in his way on the depth chart. They get value out of him, along with Marino who they got for pretty cheap, in return for a top 10 forward in the NHL. A JT Miller-Hughes-Bratt line can easily put up 80+ points each and make them a force to come on offense for years. This trade literally puts New Jersey over the top, and a solid playoff team in the East, I highly doubt Fitz declines. He has been after JT Miller for a long time as well, and finally has the assets to pull of a trade

Hamilton Nemec Marino will be d core for years to come on right side. Siegenthaler and Hughes on left side and have multiple guys to play last left side spot. U actually need Severson more than we need Miller. And the comparison to Gaudreau isn’t valid. Gaudreau is a much better player and wouldn’t have costed us any assets. I also listed what a realistic package would look like from the Devils

To create a post please Login or Register
    Question:
    Options:
    Add Option
    Submit Poll