SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/NHL

2021-2022 NHL Offseason Discussion Thread #10 - Kadri oh Kadri, wherefore art thou Kadri?

Aug. 3, 2022 at 10:16 a.m.
Ovchinnikov 137
Quoting: Devil
I think he'll sign long term
Bratt didn't want sign long term this year because if he produces at this pace next year, he would get a bigger deal

IMO he will always be a 7-8 mil player and what will likely end up being his next cap hit. I’m surprised either the Devils or Bratt didn’t get a long term deal like that done.

Which could mean player doesn’t want to commit long term or the team doesn’t. As a gut feeling I don’t see this ending out with Bratt staying long term but that’s just a guess. Anytime negotiations go this route don’t end up well
Aug. 3, 2022 at 10:22 a.m.
Quoting: DougieGilmour
And it still amazes me how some people think we are magically going to find a trade partner for Muzzin when he has to waive and we need to find a team willing to take on cap after rosters are set…

This is why i believe Kerfoot will get dumped, or not get a big return.
Aug. 3, 2022 at 10:29 a.m.
Go leafs go
Quoting: DougieGilmour
And it still amazes me how some people think we are magically going to find a trade partner for Muzzin when he has to waive and we need to find a team willing to take on cap after rosters are set…

And people are acting like Muzzin a throw away piece. Why should the leafs trade him anyways? They’re a contending team and they don’t have a replacement for him.

And I’m quite sure nobody’s paying for him, so you’re paying to dump him just so you can add a 2-3 mil player? What’s the point of that?
BuFfaLOFaN liked this.
Aug. 3, 2022 at 10:47 a.m.
Speak of the Devil
Quoting: MatthewsFan
IMO he will always be a 7-8 mil player and what will likely end up being his next cap hit. I’m surprised either the Devils or Bratt didn’t get a long term deal like that done.

Which could mean player doesn’t want to commit long term or the team doesn’t. As a gut feeling I don’t see this ending out with Bratt staying long term but that’s just a guess. Anytime negotiations go this route don’t end up well

This is what I heard from Devils reporters/sources (along with my logic)

Fitz wanted to sign Bratt long term on a *value* deal (it was confirmed Devils offered long term contract to Bratt before the draft). My guess is between 6-6.5M
Bratt wanted to cash in after break out year. Point per game, great analytics, and very talented. My guess is 7.5M+.
Devils were hesistant to do the long term deal after 1 elite season. Most reasonable deal would be a 1 year deal for Bratt which would keep him an RFA and if he has another good year, he gets the 7.5M+ on a long term deal.
This is starting to looking like what happened to Fiala, except for the fact that Guerin knew Fiala was gone while Fitz wants to keep Bratt long term
Aug. 3, 2022 at 10:51 a.m.
Why isn't Washington linked to Kadri in any way? Their timing (waiting on the initial results of Backstrom's surgery) and cap space that him going on LTIR would free up (assuming Wilson also starts the season on LTIR) is that they have over $7 million available. Backstrom's surgery is extremely risky and highly unlikely that he'll return to NHL shape (think Ryan Kesler). Even if he does return it is about a 12 month recovery.

Quote from most recent interviews:
Quoting: httpsrussianmachineneverbreakscom
"Backstrom optimistically said last year that he would like to end his career at the very place it started: SHL Brynäs. Now, his hip has him less optimistic it’s possible.

“If I’m feeling fine there’s a chance,” Backstrom said. “But I also want to be realistic about it. I don’t want to come home, have pain and not be able to play on the level I want to. We’ll see where we end up.”

Aside from a 1 year deal; they can offer a 3 or 4 year deal (or possibly even longer) since they are basically committing to Ovie's contract as their window. They have had no issues going into mid 30's with star player contracts and they have a lot of money coming off their books next year.

Not to mention his game would translate really well on that roster. They have a huge need for a legit 1C/2C since it goes from Kuznetsov down to Strome/Eller. Imagine a line of Kadri-Mantha-Oshie or Kadri-Mantha-Brown?
Aug. 3, 2022 at 10:53 a.m.
This is what I heard from Devils reporters/sources (along with my logic)

Fitz wanted to sign Bratt long term on a *value* deal (it was confirmed Devils offered long term contract to Bratt before the draft). My guess is between 6-6.5M
Bratt wanted to cash in after break out year. Point per game, great analytics, and very talented. My guess is 7.5M+.
Devils were hesistant to do the long term deal after 1 elite season. Most reasonable deal would be a 1 year deal for Bratt which would keep him an RFA and if he has another good year, he gets the 7.5M+ on a long term deal.
This is starting to looking like what happened to Fiala, except for the fact that Guerin knew Fiala was gone while Fitz wants to keep Bratt long term

And with Bernier, Severson, Tatar, Johnsson, and Haula all coming off the books after this season they will be in a better position to offer it too.
Aug. 3, 2022 at 10:54 a.m.
Farewell

I think he'll sign long term
Bratt didn't want sign long term this year because if he produces at this pace next year, he would get a bigger deal

For sure, but if he does wind up having another PPG pace season, he's going to need to get PAID (at least $7.5 million AAV, for at least 7 years). Fitzgerald has to know that.
Devil liked this.
Aug. 3, 2022 at 10:54 a.m.
torontos finest
Quoting: Saskleaf
And people are acting like Muzzin a throw away piece. Why should the leafs trade him anyways? They’re a contending team and they don’t have a replacement for him.

And I’m quite sure nobody’s paying for him, so you’re paying to dump him just so you can add a 2-3 mil player? What’s the point of that?

The same people who spent 2018-2020 whining about how the Leafs are bad defensively are the same people wanting Muzzin and Holl traded for coins in the couch.
Saskleaf and aadoyle liked this.
Aug. 3, 2022 at 10:58 a.m.

Precisely. He is a "playoff" type of defender which the Leafs need to invest more in rather than divest themselves.
Saskleaf liked this.
Aug. 3, 2022 at 11:10 a.m.
@Isles5513 why do you want Ryan Johnson? If you guys traded for Olofsson and Johnson, I am sure the sabres would take Bailey and a first or good prospect.

Was going to respond to you ACGM but it ended up getting deleted so i couldn't
Not_Isles5513 liked this.
Aug. 3, 2022 at 11:14 a.m.
Speak of the Devil

What's gonna happen to Sandin?
zk97 liked this.
Aug. 3, 2022 at 11:19 a.m.
Ovchinnikov 137
Quoting: mondo
The same people who spent 2018-2020 whining about how the Leafs are bad defensively are the same people wanting Muzzin and Holl traded for coins in the couch.

I also believe there is a select few that just want to give Liljegren and Sandin more of an opportunity and with the cap restraints and lack of ice time available, see moving Muzzin and Holl as viable options. There is just too many miles and injuries on Muzzin to count on him
Aug. 3, 2022 at 11:22 a.m.
Hop on the Slaftrain
Habs went from 19th to 32nd in contract efficiency by the Athletic 🥶
BuFfaLOFaN, zk97, Devil and 3 others liked this.
Aug. 3, 2022 at 11:24 a.m.
TheLeafsAbuseMe

No team can afford to take him on without sending us back at least some cap. A person here compared the McDonagh trade and said we could do that, but that was before UFAs signed and it Muzzin would need to waive. It’s just not going to happen
Aug. 3, 2022 at 11:25 a.m.
Farewell
Quoting: SevenLeg
Habs went from 19th to 32nd in contract efficiency by the Athletic 🥶

Out of curiosity: 1) Who was 1st (Coyotes?)? 2) Where were the Lightning (probably middle-of-the-pack/lower half)?
Aug. 3, 2022 at 11:28 a.m.
1GarthSnowFan
Quoting: BuFfaLOFaN
Isles5513 why do you want Ryan Johnson? If you guys traded for Olofsson and Johnson, I am sure the sabres would take Bailey and a first or good prospect.

I deleted it cause it was terrible. I completely forgot the Sabres get a second if Johnson doesn’t sign.
BuFfaLOFaN liked this.
Aug. 3, 2022 at 11:28 a.m.
Quoting: PointStamkosVasilevskiy219188
Out of curiosity: 1) Who was 1st (Coyotes?)? 2) Where were the Lightning (probably middle-of-the-pack/lower half)?

ELC's don't count or Goalies. Florida ended up #1 followed by Colorado and Toronto(suprising). Lightning where 12th. the Point, Cirelli, Sergachev, and Cernak long extentions hurt tampas numbers.
Aug. 3, 2022 at 11:30 a.m.
1GarthSnowFan
Isles5513 why do you want Ryan Johnson? If you guys traded for Olofsson and Johnson, I am sure the sabres would take Bailey and a first or good prospect.

I just want Johnson and a backup goalie lol. I figured the isles could use another lefty d man to give Salo real competition. Adding Oloffson for a first isn’t a good idea imo.

It has nothing to do with Oloffson. It has to do with the fact the isles biggest need is a super star winger. I like Romanov and they obviously need to keep Sorokin happy. The issue is the compensation going to Montreal looking like an egregious overpay rn. There aren’t many top line guys available at this point. The guy I would target is Timo Meier. Otherwise the isles shouldn’t make a move tbh.
Aug. 3, 2022 at 11:35 a.m.
Farewell
ELC's don't count or Goalies. Florida ended up #1 followed by Colorado and Toronto(suprising). Lightning where 12th. the Point, Cirelli, Sergachev, and Cernak long extentions hurt tampas numbers.

Ah, OK, but why would they not count goalies? Seems like that's just to make things easier-if they would, then I doubt that the Panthers would be #1 given the Bobrovsky deal. Avs at #2 is perfectly logical, the Leafs at #3 is a little-eyebrow raising, but since they're not counting goalies for some reason, it's more sensible. Lightning at #12 seems fine, the Cirelli/Sergachev/Cernak extensions deservedly bump them down a bit but there's no ignoring the bargain deals on Hedman/Vasilevskiy/Stamkos etc.
BuFfaLOFaN liked this.
Aug. 3, 2022 at 11:37 a.m.
1GarthSnowFan

One last thing on this and I’ll stop bothering you. A year ago Severson for two seconds would be a steal or fair value even if you had to take a so so contract like Bailey. From NJ’s perspective I think 45-50 games of Varly is gonna be more valuable than Blackwood who has been horrendous for two seasons. And even Severson is superfluous if u have Nemec. But then this off season came and Bjorkstrand was dealt for a third. And idk how to compensate for that tbh.
Aug. 3, 2022 at 11:45 a.m.
Ah, OK, but why would they not count goalies? Seems like that's just to make things easier-if they would, then I doubt that the Panthers would be #1 given the Bobrovsky deal. Avs at #2 is perfectly logical, the Leafs at #3 is a little-eyebrow raising, but since they're not counting goalies for some reason, it's more sensible. Lightning at #12 seems fine, the Cirelli/Sergachev/Cernak extensions deservedly bump them down a bit but there's no ignoring the bargain deals on Hedman/Vasilevskiy/Stamkos etc.

Not sure why no goalies, doesn't make much sense. The reason that the leafs are so high is because they don't have any bad contracts other than Muzzin/Jarnkrok. Also Matthews bring incredible value because of how good he is. Same with Marner.
Aug. 3, 2022 at 11:45 a.m.
Farewell
Has everyone already seen this? Or am I just late to the game?

From The Athletic:

Michigan men’s hockey coach accused of berating staff, misleading recruits and retaliating against team captain

"In responses to an anonymous survey of the University of Michigan men’s hockey program’s players and staff, coach Mel Pearson was accused of telling players to provide false information on COVID contact-tracing forms, of misleading recruits about how much scholarship money they would receive, and of allegedly calling one player a “Jew.” Pearson also displayed an “inability or unwillingness” to hold the team’s director of hockey operations accountable for conduct that included the “mistreatment of female staff members,” according to a separate investigative report."

Full article (behind paywall): https://theathletic.com/3468455/2022/08/02/mel-pearson-michigan/
zk97 liked this.
Aug. 3, 2022 at 11:46 a.m.
Has everyone already seen this? Or am I just late to the game?

From The Athletic:

Michigan men’s hockey coach accused of berating staff, misleading recruits and retaliating against team captain

"In responses to an anonymous survey of the University of Michigan men’s hockey program’s players and staff, coach Mel Pearson was accused of telling players to provide false information on COVID contact-tracing forms, of misleading recruits about how much scholarship money they would receive, and of allegedly calling one player a “Jew.” Pearson also displayed an “inability or unwillingness” to hold the team’s director of hockey operations accountable for conduct that included the “mistreatment of female staff members,” according to a separate investigative report."

Full article (behind paywall): https://theathletic.com/3468455/2022/08/02/mel-pearson-michigan/

Not saying this isn't true, but why do players keep going back for another year if it was true? Especially when they could ink a NHL contract instead.
zk97 liked this.
Aug. 3, 2022 at 11:48 a.m.
Hakuna Matata
What's gonna happen to Sandin?

Play the right side with Gio for a year once he signs, Holl's gone as hes got 1 year left and Sandin's the future
Aug. 3, 2022 at 11:49 a.m.
Go leafs go
Quoting: mondo

Exactly. Like all these guys want Durzi. But I guarantee you they would hate Durzi and want some one like Muzzin if they had him.
zk97 liked this.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll