SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/NHL

2021-2022 NHL Offseason Discussion Thread #10 - Kadri oh Kadri, wherefore art thou Kadri?

Aug. 3, 2022 at 11:51 a.m.
Go leafs go
Quoting: HockeyScotty
Precisely. He is a "playoff" type of defender which the Leafs need to invest more in rather than divest themselves.

Exactly.
Aug. 3, 2022 at 11:52 a.m.
Farewell
Quoting: BuFfaLOFaN
Not saying this isn't true, but why do players keep going back for another year if it was true? Especially when they could ink a NHL contract instead.

I'm not saying that it 100% is true either, but there could be several reasons, such as: they like their teammates and that outweighs the con of playing for Pearson, they themselves have not been personally subjected to any of this behavior, they feel it's the best place to keep growing as a hockey player and they simply focus on blocking out all the noise, etc.

I do wonder: if this turns out to be true and snowballs, could NHL-ready players (Luke Hughes?) leave the place and come to the NHL early? Just a thought.
BuFfaLOFaN liked this.
Aug. 3, 2022 at 11:56 a.m.
Quoting: PointStamkosVasilevskiy219188
I'm not saying that it 100% is true either, but there could be several reasons, such as: they like their teammates and that outweighs the con of playing for Pearson, they themselves have not been personally subjected to any of this behavior, they feel it's the best place to keep growing as a hockey player and they simply focus on blocking out all the noise, etc.

I do wonder: if this turns out to be true and snowballs, could NHL-ready players (Luke Hughes?) leave the place and come to the NHL early? Just a thought.

Eric Portillo? Please. That's what I was wondering as well.
Aug. 3, 2022 at 12:02 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Quoting: Saskleaf
And people are acting like Muzzin a throw away piece. Why should the leafs trade him anyways? They’re a contending team and they don’t have a replacement for him.

And I’m quite sure nobody’s paying for him, so you’re paying to dump him just so you can add a 2-3 mil player? What’s the point of that?

In general Muzzin is a necessary part of the Dcore, when healthy he brings physicality and strong defense in front of the net something were gonna need as nobody on the Dcore does that. Have Sandin play his offside for a year and then decide the following year whether or not to try and move Muzzin with 1 year left or heck maybe the injuries finally take their tole and Muzzin retires.

Got a feeling this time if Muzzin suffers another injury like he did last year hes going on LTIR till the playoffs and we will see something interesting with the available cap he creates. Potential big trade
Saskleaf liked this.
Aug. 3, 2022 at 12:03 p.m.
Farewell
Not bad company

zk97, Devil and EsoYeezus69 liked this.
Aug. 3, 2022 at 12:04 p.m.
Farewell
@Devil JBITBPITNHL is just a little bit much, but he's good, quite good

Aug. 3, 2022 at 12:05 p.m.
Speak of the Devil
Devil JBITBPITNHL is just a little bit much, but he's good, quite good

FZPxk-WWYAEr8sB?format=jpg&name=large

Holtz said it so it must be true
Aug. 3, 2022 at 12:06 p.m.
Devil JBITBPITNHL is just a little bit much, but he's good, quite good

This is the kind of player who you want to lock up long term, even if you have to “overpay” a bit
BuFfaLOFaN and zk97 liked this.
Aug. 3, 2022 at 12:07 p.m.
Farewell
Quoting: Db1899
This is the kind of player who you want to lock up long term, even if you have to “overpay” a bit

I'm getting convinced. There's a bit of risk involved here for NJD, as if Bratt does indeed have another PPG pace season, they're going to have to PAY (probably, at minimum, $7.5 million x 7 years)
Aug. 3, 2022 at 12:14 p.m.
I'm getting convinced. There's a bit of risk involved here for NJD, as if Bratt does indeed have another PPG pace season, they're going to have to PAY (probably, at minimum, $7.5 million x 7 years)

Assuming Bratt plays 82 games, I wouldn’t be surprised if he puts up 90-95 pts. Then he’ll be closer to 8-8.5 mill on a long term deal, he’ll be using Fiala as a comp but he’ll have better numbers than Fiala.

It just doesn’t make sense that the Devils gave Hamilton 9 mill and were willing to pay Gaudreau 10 mill until he’s 35, but won’t pay the price to lock up an elite winger for all of his prime years
Aug. 3, 2022 at 12:27 p.m.
Farewell
I posted this last week, but again, if you haven't seen the NHL's documentary of this past draft (entitled "Welcome to the NHL", it's completely free on NHL's YT channel), it's an absolute must-watch. It's just awesome-I'm watching it for the 3rd time. The moments are script-worthy:

-When Kent Hughes says the words "from the Slovakian national team", Logan Cooley gasps with the crowd and whispers quietly "Oh my God." He then turns to his mom and dad after hugging Slafkovsky and says "That changes the whole thing."

-Slafkovsky is talking to the Habs brass when the Devils take Nemec. His jaw drops in delight and he says to Hughes excitedly "Can I go shake his hand?"

-Wright literally says to his dad with a big smile as the Coyotes staff walks on stage "Arizona, I'm happy." Then Armstrong takes Cooley. Wright's face absolutely falls. Cooley (sitting directly behind Wright) hugs his mom and dad, then walks onto the stage beaming. The shot cuts to Slafkovsky being led to the media room when you faintly hear Armstrong's voice announce the pick and the crowd roars. Slafkovsky turns to the guys leading him to the microphones and says "Is it Logan Cooley?"

Point is, just watch it if you haven't already. Again, it's free on the NHL's YT channel.
zk97 and Devil liked this.
Aug. 3, 2022 at 12:38 p.m.
Go leafs go
Quoting: Devil
What's gonna happen to Sandin?

Honestly I don’t know. I think he signs a 1 year deal at like 1.5.

Quoting: DougieGilmour
No team can afford to take him on without sending us back at least some cap. A person here compared the McDonagh trade and said we could do that, but that was before UFAs signed and it Muzzin would need to waive. It’s just not going to happen

I agree.
Aug. 3, 2022 at 12:40 p.m.
Go leafs go
Quoting: aadoyle
In general Muzzin is a necessary part of the Dcore, when healthy he brings physicality and strong defense in front of the net something were gonna need as nobody on the Dcore does that. Have Sandin play his offside for a year and then decide the following year whether or not to try and move Muzzin with 1 year left or heck maybe the injuries finally take their tole and Muzzin retires.

Got a feeling this time if Muzzin suffers another injury like he did last year hes going on LTIR till the playoffs and we will see something interesting with the available cap he creates. Potential big trade

I think Muzz to LTIR is fairly likely in the semi near future.
Aug. 3, 2022 at 1:16 p.m.
Top 5 teams in Dom L NHL contract efficiency

1. Panthers
2. Avalanche
3. Maple Leafs
4. Wild
5. Bruins
Aug. 3, 2022 at 1:21 p.m.
Ovchinnikov 137
Quoting: aadoyle

Quoting: Saskleaf
I think Muzz to LTIR is fairly likely in the semi near future.

Nothing like keeping around a player we all know is ONE hit away from LTIR (sucking up all the possible accrued cap space)
Aug. 3, 2022 at 1:34 p.m.
EklundCelebriniSmith
Has everyone already seen this? Or am I just late to the game?

From The Athletic:

Michigan men’s hockey coach accused of berating staff, misleading recruits and retaliating against team captain

"In responses to an anonymous survey of the University of Michigan men’s hockey program’s players and staff, coach Mel Pearson was accused of telling players to provide false information on COVID contact-tracing forms, of misleading recruits about how much scholarship money they would receive, and of allegedly calling one player a “Jew.” Pearson also displayed an “inability or unwillingness” to hold the team’s director of hockey operations accountable for conduct that included the “mistreatment of female staff members,” according to a separate investigative report."

Full article (behind paywall): https://theathletic.com/3468455/2022/08/02/mel-pearson-michigan/

Quoting: BuFfaLOFaN
Not saying this isn't true, but why do players keep going back for another year if it was true? Especially when they could ink a NHL contract instead.

BuFfaLOFaN liked this.
Aug. 3, 2022 at 2:10 p.m.
Go leafs go
Quoting: MatthewsFan
Nothing like keeping around a player we all know is ONE hit away from LTIR (sucking up all the possible accrued cap space)

It’s either keep him or pay a fortune to dump him. I’d rather keep him and park him on LTIR if he gets injured.
aadoyle liked this.
Aug. 3, 2022 at 2:59 p.m.
Top 5 teams in Dom L NHL contract efficiency

1. Panthers
2. Avalanche
3. Maple Leafs
4. Wild
5. Bruins

I don't understand the Bruins being there. They haven't signed Bergeron and Krejci; therefore have no top line centers on their roster and have an overpaid defensive depth.

The Wild are ok for now because they have some absolute steals (Hartman, Foligno, Greenway, Brodin) to offset the buyouts; but to be Top 5 seems strange
Aug. 3, 2022 at 3:06 p.m.
I don't understand the Bruins being there. They haven't signed Bergeron and Krejci; therefore have no top line centers on their roster and have an overpaid defensive depth.

The Wild are ok for now because they have some absolute steals (Hartman, Foligno, Greenway, Brodin) to offset the buyouts; but to be Top 5 seems strange

Marchand, Pastrnak, and Mcavoy contracts provide a ton of excess value, they also don't have a lot of bad contracts. Hall, Debrusk, Smith are also considered good value. .
HockeyScotty liked this.
Aug. 3, 2022 at 3:09 p.m.

Tyson Jost is considered the Wilds worst contract and he only makes 2 mill per, most teams below them have multiple bad contracts on the books.
Aug. 3, 2022 at 3:12 p.m.
Farewell
Tyson Jost is considered the Wilds worst contract and he only makes 2 mill per, most teams below them have multiple bad contracts on the books.

I felt the whole list was lacking because it excluded goalies for apparently no reason other than to make things easier for the writer. If goalies had been included, Panthers would never have been #1 (Bobrovsky bumps them down), Leafs probably would have been a tad lower (Murray), and the Rangers would've skyrocketed (Shesterkin). Flawed article.
yikes liked this.
Aug. 3, 2022 at 3:15 p.m.
retired

i was surprised the wild took him at the deadline
Aug. 3, 2022 at 3:20 p.m.
I felt the whole list was lacking because it excluded goalies for apparently no reason other than to make things easier for the writer. If goalies had been included, Panthers would never have been #1 (Bobrovsky bumps them down), Leafs probably would have been a tad lower (Murray), and the Rangers would've skyrocketed (Shesterkin). Flawed article.

I agree with that, Bobrovsky probably bumps them down to 4 or 5.
Aug. 3, 2022 at 3:29 p.m.

Is he counting the dead cap money or just the active contracts?
Aug. 3, 2022 at 3:30 p.m.
Marchand, Pastrnak, and Mcavoy contracts provide a ton of excess value, they also don't have a lot of bad contracts. Hall, Debrusk, Smith are also considered good value. .

Understood; I guess I can't get past the actual on the ice roster construction at the moment.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll