SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/NHL

2021-2022 NHL Offseason Discussion Thread #10 - Kadri oh Kadri, wherefore art thou Kadri?

Aug. 9, 2022 at 6:09 p.m.
KFTW
Quoting: NHLfan10506
I agree. I also see Ty Smith somewhere between Tim Stutzle and Brady Tkachuk.

🤣🤣🤣🤣. I see Ty Smith somewhere between Brannstrom and JBD
Juiceman, yikes, Saskleaf and 1 other person liked this.
Aug. 9, 2022 at 6:09 p.m.
Ex Nucks fan
Quoting: justaBoss
No, I meant the worst case scenario is the idea of NJ trading Hughes to VAN (or anywhere else) and then Hughes turning into a top5 center.

Gotcha, makes a lot more sense
Aug. 9, 2022 at 6:10 p.m.
KFTW
Quoting: Tintin
I can take Jack Hughes slander from time to time, I know people are slow to appreciate greatness when introduced to it. No biggie.
But someone badmouthing my boi Severson on a hockey forum, well that's just beyond the pale.

Not badmouthing , Marino had 5 years left and Severson is a rental. I don’t think he gets a crazy return in a trade
Tintin, OldHabsFan61, Devil and 2 others liked this.
Aug. 9, 2022 at 6:12 p.m.
do not Devil my ass
Quoting: Juiceman
Doesn’t Pettersson have only 1 more year of NHL experience? You’re making it sound like Pettersson is an NHL veteran…

That extra year and the 2.5 years age gap both serve as quantifiable variables in an argument for why JH is on a better trajectory (higher(?), high upside(?)... my English is failing me here) compared to EP40.
It's not either extra year or 2.5 age gap.
It's both, at the same time, together steering the argument in JH's favour.

Trajectory seem like a key point of contention in determining EP40s value relative to Hughes's.
Devil and yikes liked this.
Aug. 9, 2022 at 6:18 p.m.
HabsFanSinceThe60s
Quoting: PointStamkosVasilevskiy219188
According to this report, the Jets offered more money to Jarnkrok than the Leafs, but he chose the latter anyway. A similar report from last week indicated that the same thing happened with Danton Heinen, who chose the Pens despite being offered significantly more by WPG.

Could just be a coincidence, but combine this with Paul Maurice's resigning earlier this year, and IMO the Jets have a serious problem-not just that they're not an attractive destination, but they don't have a likable team. Scheifele seems like a complete moron (think the Jake Evans hit and Scheifele's subsequent joking about it afterwards), PLD's morale/attitude issues are cropping up again in his publicly wanting a trade, etc..

I’m a Habs fan so you’d expect me to lead the Scheifele hate parade… but it’s getting out of hand. I’ve heard about this supposed huge culture problem in Winnipeg since the hit and since the Laine drama. However, have we forgotten that Blake Wheeler was one of the more well liked guys in the league and we’ve never heard a bad word about the guy until the Laine drama? I think this supposed bad culture thing is blown out of proportion to cover for two unfortunate facts, first that players aren’t lining up to move to Manitoba (they never have) and second that the Jets just aren’t all that great of a team despite a lot of unwarranted hype.
Saskleaf liked this.
Aug. 9, 2022 at 6:21 p.m.
HabsFanSinceThe60s
Quoting: csick
Not badmouthing , Marino had 5 years left and Severson is a rental. I don’t think he gets a crazy return in a trade

I’d expect Severson to fetch a 2nd and a prospect around the deadline from a team that’ll need to upgrade their blueline. I’d give up more for him than Klingberg personally
csick liked this.
Aug. 9, 2022 at 6:21 p.m.
Ex Nucks fan
Quoting: Tintin
That extra year and the 2.5 years age gap both serve as quantifiable variables in an argument for why JH is on a better trajectory (higher(?), high upside(?)... my English is failing me here) compared to EP40.
It's not either extra year or 2.5 age gap.
It's both, at the same time, together steering the argument in JH's favour.

Trajectory seem like a key point of contention in determining EP40s value relative to Hughes's.

Right but the argument is who is the better player, not who will be the better player
Saskleaf liked this.
Aug. 9, 2022 at 6:24 p.m.
Speak of the Devil
Right but the argument is who is the better player, not who will be the better player

Hughes at age 20>Pettersson at age 20
Hughes right now = Pettersson right now (both are in the same range)
Hughes in the future > Pettersson in the future
DirtyDangle and Saskleaf liked this.
Aug. 9, 2022 at 6:26 p.m.
do not Devil my ass

I figured it was who's the most valuable between the two, in which both present + future would need to be considered.

Anyway, figure it might be time to let this issue go for the moment, before I say something I come to regret in six months or so.
Kinda like how those Quinn Hughes vs. Ty Smith convos from last summer worked out for us Devils fans.
NHLfan10506 liked this.
Aug. 9, 2022 at 6:28 p.m.
Ex Nucks fan
Quoting: Devil
Hughes at age 20>Pettersson at age 20
Hughes right now = Pettersson right now (both are in the same range)
Hughes in the future > Pettersson in the future

Time traveler? Pettersson>Hughes right now . I’ll be willing to accept the other two statements but you can’t seriously believe after everything Pettersson has done, he isn’t the better player right now
Saskleaf liked this.
Aug. 9, 2022 at 6:30 p.m.
Speak of the Devil
Time traveler? Pettersson>Hughes right now . I’ll be willing to accept the other two statements but you can’t seriously believe after everything Pettersson has done, he isn’t the better player right now

I would take Petterson right now but I said they are in the same range for centers (between 10-15)

Future is based on TRAJECTORY
Saskleaf liked this.
Aug. 9, 2022 at 6:38 p.m.
Ex Nucks fan
Quoting: Devil
I would take Petterson right now but I said they are in the same range for centers (between 10-15)

Future is based on TRAJECTORY

At this point I’m just confused because I’m arguing about who is the better player now and you’re arguing about who will be the better player so we aren’t even arguing about the same thing at this point. Do I think Hughes will be better in the future? Very possible but I am a see to believe type of person so he better repeat his 100 point pace next season
Aug. 9, 2022 at 6:55 p.m.
Farewell
@Devil @Juiceman

You guys aren't even arguing about the same thing anymore. Hughes rookie, Pettersson injured, Pettersson Calder, Hughes 49 games-whatever. Agree to disagree. Neither one of you is convincing the other one anytime soon.
Juiceman, yikes, Saskleaf and 1 other person liked this.
Aug. 9, 2022 at 6:59 p.m.
Quoting: csick
🤣🤣🤣🤣. I see Ty Smith somewhere between Brannstrom and JBD

(Was obviously kidding).

I think deal depends on timing, Devils play at deadline, etc. Closer to deadline will be more futures-heavy. Draft picks get closer to face value, cap space becomes clear etc.

Would love to see him packaged for a better goalie or winger in pre-season. Likely to see pick/prospect at deadline.
csick liked this.
Aug. 9, 2022 at 7:00 p.m.
Devil Juiceman

You guys aren't even arguing about the same thing anymore. Hughes rookie, Pettersson injured, Pettersson Calder, Hughes 49 games-whatever. Agree to disagree. Neither one of you is convincing the other one anytime soon.

The irony … is that this all started as a Hughes vs Podkolzin debate.
Saskleaf liked this.
Aug. 9, 2022 at 7:00 p.m.
Ex Nucks fan
Devil Juiceman

Yep, even at this point I’m kinda confused. This entire time I have been arguing who is the better player. They seem to be arguing who will be the better player
Aug. 9, 2022 at 7:01 p.m.
Ex Nucks fan

Well that’s around the time you implied Pettersson was a lesser piece and even if the Canucks added him to the original trade, Devils would still decline
Aug. 9, 2022 at 7:04 p.m.
Farewell
Edited Aug. 9, 2022 at 7:09 p.m.

Yep, even at this point I’m kinda confused. This entire time I have been arguing who is the better player. They seem to be arguing who will be the better player

Exactly-you're talking past each other in the sense that your arguments are on completely different points. You all seem to agree that RIGHT HERE RIGHT NOW Pettersson>Hughes>Podkolzin, and you also seem to agree that this could change in the future. End it here.
Juiceman and Saskleaf liked this.
Aug. 9, 2022 at 7:07 p.m.
Ex Nucks fan
Exactly-you're talking past each other in the sense that your arguments are on completely different points. You all seem to agree that RIGHT HERE RIGHT NOW Podkolzin>Hughes>Pettersson, and you also seem to agree that this could change in the future. End it here.

Yep. The great than and less than signs point the wrong way but your point stands. Not sure why it had to go further than that
Aug. 9, 2022 at 7:10 p.m.
Well that’s around the time you implied Pettersson was a lesser piece and even if the Canucks added him to the original trade, Devils would still decline

Give it a rest. The whole conversation is there for the world to see.

Everyone else, carry on.
Aug. 9, 2022 at 7:12 p.m.
Ex Nucks fan
Give it a rest. The whole conversation is there for the world to see.

Everyone else, carry on.

Why are you still chiming in?
Aug. 9, 2022 at 7:14 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
So if Gardiner gets dumped rather than bought out does a 2nd go with or do we think Carolina send a prospect
Aug. 9, 2022 at 7:15 p.m.
Speak of the Devil
Exactly-you're talking past each other in the sense that your arguments are on completely different points. You all seem to agree that RIGHT HERE RIGHT NOW Pettersson>Hughes>Podkolzin, and you also seem to agree that this could change in the future. End it here.

I thought we were talking about Jack Hughes (MTL) and Elias Pettersson (3rd rounder)

Hughes>>Podkolzin
Aug. 9, 2022 at 7:20 p.m.
Farewell
Quoting: aadoyle
So if Gardiner gets dumped rather than bought out does a 2nd go with or do we think Carolina send a prospect

I'd say a 2nd should do it, CAR has a deep prospect pool, they can more afford to give away the pick rather than lose of those said prospects.
aadoyle liked this.
Aug. 9, 2022 at 7:21 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
I'd say a 2nd should do it, CAR has a deep prospect pool, they can more afford to give away the pick rather than lose of those said prospects.

They could give up a prospect they dont plan to use and who really hasnt panned out or who has no spot in the lineup despite being NHL ready

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll