SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/NHL

2022-23 NHL Season Discussion Thread #6: No More Summer of Dorion

Dec. 10, 2022 at 11:06 p.m.
Quoting: Juiceman
I'm sure a contender is going to look at Monahan and his play from 5 years ago and go "yup, he must be elite still"

I'm sure a contender is going to look at Monahan and his play this year and go "yup, he must be injured still".

He's proving he's as good as he was prior to his injuries (except for his 2018-19 PPG season). Even Sutter said he never saw him moves that well in the last 2 seasons.
Dec. 10, 2022 at 11:14 p.m.
Red Deer Is Superior
Quoting: SevenLeg
I see them saying Tyson Barrie and Jesse Puljujarvi are very valuable assets

And Warren Foegele
zk97 liked this.
Dec. 10, 2022 at 11:18 p.m.
Ex Nucks fan
Quoting: LIRIK
I'm sure a contender is going to look at Monahan and his play this year and go "yup, he must be injured still".

He's proving he's as good as he was prior to his injuries (except for his 2018-19 PPG season). Even Sutter said he never saw him moves that well in the last 2 seasons.

He has improved. He has gone from having negative WAR to have a WAR of 0
Dec. 10, 2022 at 11:21 p.m.
I make typos
Quoting: MikeKeenanHatesMe
And Warren Foegele

nobody is trading Foegele
Dec. 11, 2022 at 12:47 a.m.
Hakuna Matata
The New York Mets are perfectly demonstrating why the NHL needs to keep a hard salary cap

Like if someone goes why they do it point to the NYM and say thats why
Dec. 11, 2022 at 12:49 a.m.
WentWughes
Anderson doesn't produce. Monahan has been better this season, but has been really bad the last 3 years. GMs will look at that. Sure there will be interest, but don't expect a first ++ for each

Edit: Monahan and Anderson are also both very expensive and overpaid. They would require retention as no contender has the cap space to take 5+ million dollars

If I was a fan of the other team, I'd have no interest in Anderson. He's way overpaid and is really a meh middle six winger. I wouldn't take him for free.

Monahan IMO is a middle 6 center, but he can play 2nd line minutes and handle them. He's definitely worth a 1st.

We've seen time and time again where GM's don't look at analytics, rather they look at their reputation around the league. Think they can both get a 1st round pick during the TD.
Dec. 11, 2022 at 1:01 a.m.
Ex Nucks fan
Quoting: KSIxSKULLS
If I was a fan of the other team, I'd have no interest in Anderson. He's way overpaid and is really a meh middle six winger. I wouldn't take him for free.

Monahan IMO is a middle 6 center, but he can play 2nd line minutes and handle them. He's definitely worth a 1st.

We've seen time and time again where GM's don't look at analytics, rather they look at their reputation around the league. Think they can both get a 1st round pick during the TD.

I'll use some Habs fan logic then. Horvat is worth at least 3 first round picks. Reputation for being a solid 2 way center even though he isn't. Great faceoff guy, has been dynamite offensively. He is also a captain. If Monahan is worth a first, Horvat is worth 3. Kuzmenko is worth 2 first round picks. Near point per game as a rookie and making close to league minimum. Easy 2 first round picks. Luke Schenn is worth a first round pick. 2 time Stanley Cup Champion, most hits in league history, playing top pair minutes with Quinn Hughes, RHD, must be valuable right?????????????????

I can make all these huge stretches but that doesn't mean they are actually worth that much.
justaBoss and Saskleaf liked this.
Dec. 11, 2022 at 1:09 a.m.
WentWughes
I'll use some Habs fan logic then. Horvat is worth at least 3 first round picks. Reputation for being a solid 2 way center even though he isn't. Great faceoff guy, has been dynamite offensively. He is also a captain. If Monahan is worth a first, Horvat is worth 3. Kuzmenko is worth 2 first round picks. Near point per game as a rookie and making close to league minimum. Easy 2 first round picks. Luke Schenn is worth a first round pick. 2 time Stanley Cup Champion, most hits in league history, playing top pair minutes with Quinn Hughes, RHD, must be valuable right?????????????????

I can make all these huge stretches but that doesn't mean they are actually worth that much.

Think Horvat could get 2 first round picks. Genuinely think if he is traded, it's for a 1st + a very good prospect (former 1st in the last 2 years).

Kuzmenko will 100% get a first if he's still near a PPG player come TD. Again, it could be argued that he gets a package similar to Horvat.

I also said Luke Schenn could get a 1st if it's the perfect scenario. Ideally he gets a 2nd, but you never know.

We've both watched many TD's and it's clear rentals values skyrocket at this time. Players get way more than they're worth. Especially guys on cheap contracts in this dead cap era
Dec. 11, 2022 at 1:13 a.m.
Ex Nucks fan
I'm happy that the Wild put the Canucks in their place. Canucks are realistically a bottom feeder team. Barely won against tanks like Montreal, San Jose, and Arizona.
BuFfaLOFaN liked this.
Dec. 11, 2022 at 1:14 a.m.
Ex Nucks fan
Think Horvat could get 2 first round picks. Genuinely think if he is traded, it's for a 1st + a very good prospect (former 1st in the last 2 years).

Kuzmenko will 100% get a first if he's still near a PPG player come TD. Again, it could be argued that he gets a package similar to Horvat.

I also said Luke Schenn could get a 1st if it's the perfect scenario. Ideally he gets a 2nd, but you never know.

We've both watched many TD's and it's clear rentals values skyrocket at this time. Players get way more than they're worth. Especially guys on cheap contracts in this dead cap era

If Monahan gets a first, Horvat is easily worth 3. Significantly better in pretty much every aspect, and is also cheaper. I don't think Monahan will get a first, and I don't think Horvat will get 3
Dec. 11, 2022 at 1:16 a.m.
WentWughes
If Monahan gets a first, Horvat is easily worth 3. Significantly better in pretty much every aspect, and is also cheaper. I don't think Monahan will get a first, and I don't think Horvat will get 3

It's weird, it's almost as if there's a limit to what a player can get. David Pastrnak would get 2 firsts, but so would Bo Horvat.

The difference here is teams will go for Horvat first until he's traded and then jump to Monahan. Maybe it's desperation that makes them overpay for Monahan? Not really sure, but Monahan will get a 1st.
Dec. 11, 2022 at 1:18 a.m.
Ex Nucks fan
It's weird, it's almost as if there's a limit to what a player can get. David Pastrnak would get 2 firsts, but so would Bo Horvat.

The difference here is teams will go for Horvat first until he's traded and then jump to Monahan. Maybe it's desperation that makes them overpay for Monahan? Not really sure, but Monahan will get a 1st.

If the Canucks can walk away from the deadline with 3+ first round picks from Kuzmenko, Horvat, and Schenn combined, I will be happy.
KSIxSKULLS liked this.
Dec. 11, 2022 at 1:18 a.m.

Horvat is worth two 1st. Not many rental could be traded for more than two 1st.

Monahan is worth a 1st, could see two 2nd with one being a conditional 1st like Copp.

Kuzmenko is worth a 2nd because he's a winger, even if his contract is very cheap.
Dec. 11, 2022 at 1:21 a.m.
Ex Nucks fan

Monahan is worth a 1st, could see two 2nd with one being a conditional 1st like Copp.

Kuzmenko is worth a 2nd because he's a winger, even if his contract is very cheap.

An offensive play driver who is responsible defensively, near a point per game, and makes less than 1 mil. I think he can easily get a first round pick. Don't forget, literally every single team in the NHL was trying to sign him in the summer. Now that he has shown that he is legit, teams will be pouncing all over him if the Canucks make him available
Dec. 11, 2022 at 1:22 a.m.
WentWughes

If the Canucks can walk away from the deadline with 3+ first round picks from Kuzmenko, Horvat, and Schenn combined, I will be happy.

Then it comes if your GM is capable of getting teams to overpay for their players. Kent Hughes showed he could with last year's TD, but can Allvin?
LIRIK liked this.
Dec. 11, 2022 at 1:23 a.m.
Ex Nucks fan
Then it comes if your GM is capable of getting teams to overpay for their players. Kent Hughes showed he could with last year's TD, but can Allvin?

Eh, he got a third round pick for 3 million dollar Travis Hamonic. Traded only a fifth round pick for Ethan Bear. He hasn't made any big deals, but trades hasn't been bad
KSIxSKULLS liked this.
Dec. 11, 2022 at 3:19 a.m.
do not Devil my ass
I would add New Jersey to that list.

Devils fans: we have seen Josh Anderson for Devils 1st round picks / Nemec / etc since before the draft and are getting fed up with it
MTL fans:

Devil, justaBoss, EsoYeezus69 and 2 others liked this.
Dec. 11, 2022 at 3:33 a.m.
Speak of the Devil
I would add New Jersey and Winnipeg to that list.

I would add this ratio
zk97, Juiceman, Tintin and 1 other person liked this.
Dec. 11, 2022 at 8:01 a.m.
Quoting: aadoyle
The New York Mets are perfectly demonstrating why the NHL needs to keep a hard salary cap

Like if someone goes why they do it point to the NYM and say thats why

Because the lost players or what? Just wondering not arguing.
Dec. 11, 2022 at 10:33 a.m.
WentWughes
Quoting: Tintin
Devils fans: we have seen Josh Anderson for Devils 1st round picks / Nemec / etc since before the draft and are getting fed up with it
MTL fans:

Who posted this? I'd like to ban them.
Dec. 11, 2022 at 11:45 a.m.
Hakuna Matata
Edited Dec. 11, 2022 at 1:02 p.m.
Quoting: BuFfaLOFaN
Because the lost players or what? Just wondering not arguing.

They went on a spending spree after losing 1 player. But they planned to do that anyway as owner gives 0 ****s

Basically almost every big FA went there for $$$$$ and a chance to win

As they could outbid anyone as the owner does not care rn. GM's would be playing on rookie mode
zk97 and BuFfaLOFaN liked this.
Dec. 11, 2022 at 2:10 p.m.
Ex Nucks fan
MTL fans:

Even if Nemec was projected to go in the THIRD round, I still wouldn’t trade him for Anderson

Edit: make a counter proposal for Slaf. “He went first overall but we ALL know he was drafted too early and it was a weak draft”

Slaf for Blackwood
Dec. 11, 2022 at 2:10 p.m.
do not Devil my ass

Poile's lost it
zk97 and Saskleaf liked this.
Dec. 11, 2022 at 2:12 p.m.
Ex Nucks fan

Poile's lost it

There is absolutely no way he makes it through
Dec. 11, 2022 at 2:15 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
There is absolutely no way he makes it through

I mean we have seen other guys pass through who really shouldnt have. But yeah I think one of Ottawa, Anaheim, or Chicago is putting in a claim
BuFfaLOFaN liked this.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll