Forums/Armchair-GM

Give me your opinions

Created by: westleysnipez
Team: 2022-23 Vancouver Canucks
Initial Creation Date: Jan. 5, 2023
Published: Jan. 5, 2023
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
No Miller trade, the Canucks signed him to a contract and I can't see management going back on that decision before it kicks in. My guess is if Miller is traded it'll be in Year 2 or 3 of the contract.

No Myers trade, better to wait until after July 1st when bonuses are paid, his actual salary owed is much less and a less fortunate team like Arizona or Ottawa may take him on then in exchange for a player with a similar cap hit + late picks.
Trades
VAN
  1. Behrens, Sean [Reserve List]
  2. Foudy, Jean-Luc
  3. 2023 1st round pick (COL)
  4. 2023 5th round pick (COL)
COL
  1. Horvat, Bo ($2,750,000 retained)
  2. Rathbone, Jack
VAN
  1. Petersen, Cal
  2. 2023 1st round pick (LAK)
  3. 2023 3rd round pick (LAK)
Additional Details:
1st Round Pick is Top-10 protected, becoming a 2024 1st Round otherwise.

3rd Round Pick is the higher of PIT and LAK
NYR
  1. Kuzmenko, Andrei
  2. Schenn, Luke
  3. 2023 3rd round pick (LAK)
Additional Details:
Trade only goes through if Kuzmenko agrees to an extension beforehand with NYR.
Buyouts
Retained Salary Transactions
Buried
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the VAN
Logo of the COL
Logo of the LAK
Logo of the VAN
Logo of the VAN
Logo of the VAN
Logo of the NYR
Logo of the COL
Logo of the VAN
Logo of the VAN
Logo of the VAN
Logo of the VAN
Logo of the VAN
Logo of the VAN
Logo of the VAN
Logo of the VAN
Logo of the VAN
Logo of the VAN
Logo of the VAN
Logo of the VAN
Logo of the VAN
Logo of the VAN
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
23$82,500,000$81,256,250$1,250,000$2,932,500$1,243,750
Left WingCentreRight Wing
Logo of the Vancouver Canucks
$5,250,000$5,250,000
C, LW, RW
UFA - 1
$7,350,000$7,350,000
C, LW
UFA - 2
$750,000$750,000
C
UFA - 1
Logo of the New York Islanders
$5,000,000$5,000,000
RW, LW, C
UFA - 2
$4,950,000$4,950,000
RW, LW
UFA - 4
$4,750,000$4,750,000
LW, RW
M-NTC
UFA - 4
$825,000$825,000
LW
UFA - 2
$1,000,000$1,000,000
RW, C
UFA - 3
$883,750$883,750 (Performance Bonus$82,500$82K)
C
RFA - 2
$762,500$762,500
C
UFA - 2
$762,500$762,500
RW, C
RFA - 2
$750,000$750,000
RW
UFA - 1
Logo of the New York Rangers
$925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$2,850,000$3M)
LW, RW
RFA - 1
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$7,850,000$7,850,000
LD
UFA - 5
$6,000,000$6,000,000
RD
M-NTC
UFA - 2
$762,500$762,500
G
UFA - 2
$7,260,000$7,260,000
LD
NMC
UFA - 5
$1,800,000$1,800,000
RD
UFA - 1
$750,000$750,000
G
UFA - 1
$1,500,000$1,500,000
LD/RD
UFA - 1
$750,000$750,000
LD/RD
UFA - 1
$1,350,000$1,350,000
LD
RFA - 2
Logo of the New York Rangers
$750,000$750,000
LD
UFA - 1
ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
$5,000,000$5,000,000
G
UFA - 4
$2,500,000$2,500,000
RD
UFA - 3
$3,250,000$3,250,000
LW
M-NTC
UFA - 2

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Jan. 5, 2023 at 2:25 p.m.
Instant decline by the avs
Jan. 5, 2023 at 2:25 p.m.
Why is Ferland worth a 1st round pick?

The Kings have no need to pay to dump Petersen's contract. Copley is playing well right now, so they're content to roll with what they have. If Petersen can't rebound, they'll just buy him out next summer with a minimal cap hit.
Not_Isles5513 and Fox_Czar_Cup liked this.
Jan. 5, 2023 at 2:29 p.m.
1GarthSnowFan
There is a certain point where u r better off waiting for a guy to expire. Even if Boeser is better than Bailey, it makes no sense to want to add that extra year to the books.
Fox_Czar_Cup liked this.
Jan. 5, 2023 at 2:34 p.m.
we miss leo k
-Avs decline this. They've emptied the cupboards going after that Cup, and since it paid off, I definitely see them being less desperate in terms of unloading assets. They traded their first 5 rounds of picks in last year's draft; they traded 3 of their 7 picks in the 2021 draft; and as of right now, have only their 1st, 5th, 6th, & 7th in the 2023 draft. I can't see them trading the first two of those, plus a pair of their better prospects, for a less valuable one (Rathbone is similarly sized but 4 years older than Behrens; I would say Behrens' floor at this point is probably turning into Jack Rathbone) and a rental center that they might not even be able to afford to extend.

-LA doesn't need the LTIR space Ferland brings if they're trading Petersen; they also aren't really going to pay to dump him. If you wanted to do a Demko for Petersen swap (embrace that rebuild baby!) I could see LA kicking in some additional assets; but as it stands now, there's no reason for them to make that move right now.

-Boeser is a slightly better/younger version of Josh Bailey with a higher cap hit and an extra year of term. I don't hate the trade but I don't really see the reason for the Islanders to do it, nor do I see the reason for a supposedly rebuilding Vancouver team to acquire a 33 year old winger.

-I don't think the Rangers bite. If Vancouver doesn't have an appetite to re-sign a 26 year old Kuzmenko, why would the Rangers give up one of their better young players/trade chips for 20 games of a guy they can just sign themselves in July? Schenn doesn't address a big need for them (they need LD more than RD), so his value isn't really helping - and plus, I'd assume that if the Rangers are buying, they're going to want to move picks or prospects over current roster players. Kuzmenko might be an upgrade over Laf, sure, but it would do nothing to help their depth.
AG_sweden, NOTJoeSakic, TJTwolf and 1 other person liked this.
Jan. 5, 2023 at 2:34 p.m.
GM
Only reason why Drury would do this would be if he thinks Laffy won't get better (bust) and if so why would VAN accept this trade then?
Besides it is going to be even harder to resign Kuzmenko than Laffy, so that move will force out Chytil also probably in that case... or Goody...
In short I wouldn't do this if I was VAN and I wouldn't do this as Drury. Value is based on right now okay, but like why do it?
Jan. 5, 2023 at 2:36 p.m.
Rangers say no thanks. Laffy isn't available and they do not have cap room to sign Kuz anyway.
Jan. 5, 2023 at 2:37 p.m.
westleysnipez
Quoting: tkecanuck341
Why is Ferland worth a 1st round pick?

The Kings have no need to pay to dump Petersen's contract. Copley is playing well right now, so they're content to roll with what they have. If Petersen can't rebound, they'll just buy him out next summer with a minimal cap hit.

Trading Petersen for Ferland absolves LA of any cap hit. If the Kings buy out Petersen, they will have 5.2M tied up next season. The cap flexibility while Arvidsson and Durzi are still on team-friendly deals would allow them to build to contend next season.
Jan. 5, 2023 at 2:44 p.m.
Quoting: westleysnipez
Trading Petersen for Ferland absolves LA of any cap hit. If the Kings buy out Petersen, they will have 5.2M tied up next season. The cap flexibility while Arvidsson and Durzi are still on team-friendly deals would allow them to build to contend next season.

They're not going to buy him out this summer, they're going to buy him out next summer.

2023-24: $3.85M cap hit (buried in AHL)
2024-25: $1M buyout cap hit
2025-26: $2M buyout cap hit

Quick's contract falls off the books this summer, and he's already said that he plans to extend in LA. He's making $2.5M in salary this season, so his extension will be less than that. Probably 1 year at $1.5M. Copley can extend on a 1-year deal around $2-2.5M and will rotate with Quick. That means next season, the Kings will have a goaltender cap hit of around $7.5-8M, significantly less than what it is this season. The following season, they can look for a longer term replacement. This is all assuming that Petersen can't get his head right and will never return to the NHL, which is far from a sure thing.

There's absolutely no reason to pay to dump Petersen.
Jan. 5, 2023 at 2:52 p.m.
westleysnipez
Quoting: dannibalcorpse
-Avs decline this. They've emptied the cupboards going after that Cup, and since it paid off, I definitely see them being less desperate in terms of unloading assets. They traded their first 5 rounds of picks in last year's draft; they traded 3 of their 7 picks in the 2021 draft; and as of right now, have only their 1st, 5th, 6th, & 7th in the 2023 draft. I can't see them trading the first two of those, plus a pair of their better prospects, for a less valuable one (Rathbone is similarly sized but 4 years older than Behrens; I would say Behrens' floor at this point is probably turning into Jack Rathbone) and a rental center that they might not even be able to afford to extend.

I see where you're coming from. In my mind, Sakic and Co. are going to do everything they can to try for a 2nd Cup, including gambling more picks/prospects. I was comparing Horvat to the Lekhonen deal last season (Barron + 2024 2nd), with Horvat being much better overall and in a more important position comparatively. At the time, Lekhonen wasn't expected to be re-signed either.

-LA doesn't need the LTIR space Ferland brings if they're trading Petersen; they also aren't really going to pay to dump him. If you wanted to do a Demko for Petersen swap (embrace that rebuild baby!) I could see LA kicking in some additional assets; but as it stands now, there's no reason for them to make that move right now.

Totally understandable, I was under the impression LA was wanting to prepare for a run in the final years of Arvidsson's and Durzi's deals, maximizing the 3.875M cap space for next season, not so much for this year. Ferland was there to essentially be a 'free' asset that wouldn't have an impact on the roster size.

-Boeser is a slightly better/younger version of Josh Bailey with a higher cap hit and an extra year of term. I don't hate the trade but I don't really see the reason for the Islanders to do it, nor do I see the reason for a supposedly rebuilding Vancouver team to acquire a 33 year old winger.

Vancouver does it to free up the cap space for the other trades to work and to replace Horvat's centre role. I think Boeser is considerably better than Bailey, and the a change of scenery would help him immensely. Boeser's been my second favourite player since coming to VAN, but I have to be a realist with the trade market where it is for underperforming wingers. Reports I've read had said NYI was looking for a scoring winger, so I thought it might have been a better solution for the Isles, too.

-I don't think the Rangers bite. If Vancouver doesn't have an appetite to re-sign a 26 year old Kuzmenko, why would the Rangers give up one of their better young players/trade chips for 20 games of a guy they can just sign themselves in July? Schenn doesn't address a big need for them (they need LD more than RD), so his value isn't really helping - and plus, I'd assume that if the Rangers are buying, they're going to want to move picks or prospects over current roster players. Kuzmenko might be an upgrade over Laf, sure, but it would do nothing to help their depth.

I absolutely want VAN to keep Kuzmenko, Pettersson and Kuzmenko are dynamite together. Moving Kuzmenko is better for the franchise though, if they're going back into the rebuild phase.
Jan. 5, 2023 at 3:09 p.m.
Once a Kings Fan Too
There's no more point in trading Petersen at a low point than there is for Vancouver to trade Thatcher Demko at a low point. And Demko's contract is indisputably worse than Petersen's, because it's one year longer and upside down ($17 million over the last three seasons on a $5 million cap hit).
Jan. 5, 2023 at 3:12 p.m.
we miss leo k
Quoting: OldNYIfan
There's no more point in trading Petersen at a low point than there is for Vancouver to trade Thatcher Demko at a low point. And Demko's contract is indisputably worse than Petersen's, because it's one year longer and upside down ($17 million over the last three seasons on a $5 million cap hit).

curious on your opinion: if the teams decided to work on a Petersen-for-Demko swap (let's just say this summer for the sake of not worrying about waivers or buried hits and whatnot): who would add?
OldNYIfan liked this.
Jan. 5, 2023 at 3:23 p.m.
curious on your opinion: if the teams decided to work on a Petersen-for-Demko swap (let's just say this summer for the sake of not worrying about waivers or buried hits and whatnot): who would add?

LA would add.. however, I really don’t think CP is finished. Bad season or 2 as a kid, ya, that’s common. I could see him bouncing back. Is say TD is the better G of the 2 and I doubt many would argue. Contract could be an argument but neither should be buyouts. There’s also a team or 3 that would gladly take those G and pay for them
dannibalcorpse and OldNYIfan liked this.
Jan. 5, 2023 at 3:35 p.m.
Once a Kings Fan Too

Quoting: NYR1983
LA would add.. however, I really don’t think CP is finished. Bad season or 2 as a kid, ya, that’s common. I could see him bouncing back. Is say TD is the better G of the 2 and I doubt many would argue. Contract could be an argument but neither should be buyouts. There’s also a team or 3 that would gladly take those G and pay for them

I'm on record as saying that I'd give Vancouver the better of our two third-round draft picks to make the swap, but I'm firmly opposed to either team dumping their slumping goalie. Like NYR1983 I believe that Demko, if he rebounds, has a higher upside than Petersen, if he rebounds, but I also believe that there's just as much chance that one rebounds and one doesn't.
NYR1983 liked this.
Jan. 5, 2023 at 3:42 p.m.
we miss leo k
Quoting: OldNYIfan
I'm on record as saying that I'd give Vancouver the better of our two third-round draft picks to make the swap, but I'm firmly opposed to either team dumping their slumping goalie. Like NYR1983 I believe that Demko, if he rebounds, has a higher upside than Petersen, if he rebounds, but I also believe that there's just as much chance that one rebounds and one doesn't.

it's one of those things that the more I think about it, the more I kinda like it for both sides. The risk is obviously there that one or both of them are just broken now, of course; but giving up their extra 3rd to turn next year's tandem into Demko/Quick feels like a big win for LA - Demko got downballot Vezina votes just a year ago and has proven he can be a full time starter (and you still have a Hall of Famer behind him in case he needs a break); and for Vancouver, it feels like they're about to enter a rough retool/rebuild phase where it won't matter if it's Demko or Petersen in net, so why not save a couple real dollars and get a bonus asset back? The only thing to me is, if I were Vancouver, I'd push for one of the three dozen young forwards the Kings have to get included in the deal. Not one of the top guys, but down the depth charts - the Lias Anderssons and Akils Thomas of the world that might never see a shot with LA and can get some ice time in Vancouver.
OldNYIfan liked this.
Jan. 5, 2023 at 4:26 p.m.
'I see where you're coming from. In my mind, Sakic and Co. are going to do everything they can to try for a 2nd Cup, including gambling more picks/prospects. I was comparing Horvat to the Lekhonen deal last season (Barron + 2024 2nd), with Horvat being much better overall and in a more important position comparatively. At the time, Lekhonen wasn't expected to be re-signed either.'

Lehkonen was always expected to be re-signed. He was an RFA vs UFA, and the Avs gave up two decent pieces to get him. Avs instantly decline this as they can't afford to re-sign Horvat.
Jan. 5, 2023 at 6:04 p.m.
Quoting: Isles5513
There is a certain point where u r better off waiting for a guy to expire. Even if Boeser is better than Bailey, it makes no sense to want to add that extra year to the books.

Stop it boeser is significantly better than Bailey and he has a lot of upside. Isles jam the accept button on this trade
Jan. 5, 2023 at 6:09 p.m.
1GarthSnowFan
Quoting: Islesforthecup
Stop it boeser is significantly better than Bailey and he has a lot of upside. Isles jam the accept button on this trade

Boeser’s skating is legit so bad that I can’t imagine what it will look like in three years. I’m pretty sure he’s slower than Matt Martin at this point

Edited for clarity***
Jan. 5, 2023 at 6:21 p.m.
we miss leo k

I agree he's better than Bailey; I just don't think he's worth that cap hit. He's close to what Bailey was in his prime - a 50-55 point guy who has heard of "defense" and decided it's not really something he wants to get all that involved with. If the trade happened, I'd be fine with it; I just wouldn't be going out of my way to make it if I was GM.
Jan. 5, 2023 at 8:45 p.m.
I wouldn't mind this bold move from COL. They can't afford another expensive, long term commitment. This being a pure rental, allows them to keep Newhook & Byram & Girard & maybe ERod/JTC (ie: their guys). It adds urgency & motivation to win now. It maximizes The Moment. I like it.
Jan. 5, 2023 at 9:02 p.m.
westleysnipez
Quoting: TJTwolf
Lehkonen was always expected to be re-signed. He was an RFA vs UFA, and the Avs gave up two decent pieces to get him. Avs instantly decline this as they can't afford to re-sign Horvat.

Can you provide a source for that? All the articles I found, from ESPN, the Athletic, and THW said that Lehkonen's future was uncertain given the Avs' list of players needing to be re-signed and that he would likely be moved with others like Kuemper, Nichushkin, and Manson being priorities. Lehkonen was only re-signed after a deal with Kuemper wasn't able to be reached

ESPN Article - The Nine Critical Decisions that made the Colorado Avalanche a Juggernaut - "Lehkonen will be a restricted free agent after this season, and the Avalanche don't know whether he'll want to re-sign. That doesn't much matter now. Lehkonen is everything Colorado needs in the present."
Jan. 6, 2023 at 9:27 a.m.
I agree he's better than Bailey; I just don't think he's worth that cap hit. He's close to what Bailey was in his prime - a 50-55 point guy who has heard of "defense" and decided it's not really something he wants to get all that involved with. If the trade happened, I'd be fine with it; I just wouldn't be going out of my way to make it if I was GM.

Bailey is complete dogsh*t rn. His just 100% complete lack of effort is maddening and he never shoots the puck at an almost barzal like level. Every time he has the puck like on a rebound in the d zone he just stands there until it gets taken away. He can never get the puck out of the zone and constantly gets hemmed in for long periods at a time. Boeser is significantly better than Bailey even adjusted for contracts.
Don’t forget who Brock boeser is, over his 5 years in the nhl he was on pace for 30 goals 3 times over 25 4 times and over 23 all 5 times.
Jan. 6, 2023 at 10:16 a.m.
we miss leo k
Bailey is complete dogsh*t rn. His just 100% complete lack of effort is maddening and he never shoots the puck at an almost barzal like level. Every time he has the puck like on a rebound in the d zone he just stands there until it gets taken away. He can never get the puck out of the zone and constantly gets hemmed in for long periods at a time. Boeser is significantly better than Bailey even adjusted for contracts.
Don’t forget who Brock boeser is, over his 5 years in the nhl he was on pace for 30 goals 3 times over 25 4 times and over 23 all 5 times.

And he's on pace for less than 20 this year, with 2 more years at $6.65M left. Like I said, I agree that he's an upgrade over Bailey, but at this point that's not really saying much of anything. His downward scoring trends are particularly alarming for a guy with that kind of cap hit - when you look at the fact that he's getting most of his points through assists, and that he's spending most of his 5v5 time skating with Bo "Shooting 24% Is Sustainable, Right?" Horvat, it really points to a guy who's going to struggle to maintain that production on the Islanders. I'd rather buy out Josh Bailey this summer and use the cap savings to pursue a better option when it really comes down to it.
Jan. 6, 2023 at 10:17 a.m.
Quoting: westleysnipez
Can you provide a source for that? All the articles I found, from ESPN, the Athletic, and THW said that Lehkonen's future was uncertain given the Avs' list of players needing to be re-signed and that he would likely be moved with others like Kuemper, Nichushkin, and Manson being priorities. Lehkonen was only re-signed after a deal with Kuemper wasn't able to be reached

ESPN Article - The Nine Critical Decisions that made the Colorado Avalanche a Juggernaut - "Lehkonen will be a restricted free agent after this season, and the Avalanche don't know whether he'll want to re-sign. That doesn't much matter now. Lehkonen is everything Colorado needs in the present."

Simply the fact he was an RFA not UFA presents that you're going to re-sign him. Especially with the likes of Burakovsky being UFA and more expensive. Avs fans expected him to be re-signed, and I'm pretty sure the management would as well. The journalists were dumb to think otherwise. There was no earthly way they were going to bring back everyone. While I can find plenty of specualtion articles from last year on who they could or couldn't re-sign I can't find many that definitively say Lehkonen wouldn't be. With an RFA you have some control. That kind of trade is only going to happen if the Avs can re-sign Horvat and they can't without dangerously stripping out the bottom 6 and bottom D pairing and/or Horvat taking significantly less than he's rumoured to have already turned down from Vancouver. It won't happen for a rental when Colorado's cupboard is already bare.
Jan. 6, 2023 at 5:34 p.m.
And he's on pace for less than 20 this year, with 2 more years at $6.65M left. Like I said, I agree that he's an upgrade over Bailey, but at this point that's not really saying much of anything. His downward scoring trends are particularly alarming for a guy with that kind of cap hit - when you look at the fact that he's getting most of his points through assists, and that he's spending most of his 5v5 time skating with Bo "Shooting 24% Is Sustainable, Right?" Horvat, it really points to a guy who's going to struggle to maintain that production on the Islanders. I'd rather buy out Josh Bailey this summer and use the cap savings to pursue a better option when it really comes down to it.

If you want to talk about s% then let’s be consistent. Boeser has 128 goals on 986 shots in his career for a 12.98% (or 13%). If boeser was shooting 13% this year he’d have 8.84 goals in 30 games or a little above 24 goals in 82 games. So let’s be fair here.
If you want to talk about points he has 22 in 30 or on pace for 60 points, and this is a down season for him. I don’t think he’s going to struggle to produce at all in NY. He gets away from an organization that looks dead in the water which can really affect a player (especially one who’s shown recently that his play does get affected by off ice things). He gets to play with an elite playmaker which should help he’s better suited for being the finisher than the creator. I just don’t think the points make up for the complete lack of D and bad play driving. But if I was able to move out Bailey who doesn’t do anything but kill the isles game after game I’m taking that deal every day of the week.
Jan. 6, 2023 at 5:37 p.m.
LongtimeLeafsufferer
Kinda of a meaningless trade to the NYR. You based on a sign and trade. So tell us what is the new contract and how it fits in with the Rangers cap.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll