SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/NHL

2022-23 NHL Season Discussion Thread #11: The Main Event

Feb. 25, 2023 at 2:24 p.m.
WentWughes
Quoting: Db1899
He’s being compared to Matthews and Mackinnon lol

That's crazy if it's true. I'd say he's more comparable with Gretzky/Lemieux type of players. The numbers he's putting up are historic.
Hakuna Matata
He’s being compared to Matthews and Mackinnon lol

MMM no he gets McDavid comparisons more so

https://www.sportsnet.ca/nhl/video/how-does-bedards-majestic-season-compare-to-mcdavids-final-year-with-the-otters/

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2951704-the-best-prospect-since-connor-mcdavid-meet-future-superstar-connor-bedard

Heck articles have come out about it along with his record breaks.
Tintin over 1122
I hate this team. They win when they want
Hakuna Matata
Quoting: KSIxSKULLS
Reasonable? Nawh, he's projected to be better than McDavid. Everything he has done, has been better than McDavid.

To bad Pats suck I would have loved to see an WHL playoff record broke lul
KSIxSKULLS and zk97 liked this.
Feb. 25, 2023 at 2:25 p.m.
WentWughes
Quoting: aadoyle
To bad Pats suck I would have loved to see an WHL playoff record broke lul

Crazy he didn't get traded. Pats got literally nothing for a generational player.
zk97 liked this.
Feb. 25, 2023 at 2:26 p.m.
Quoting: A_Habs_fan
Interestingly, Thrun and Portillo are both listed as their rights expiring Aug 15 2024 by CF ( though i assume if they were to stop college it'd move up to 2023 )

Now that NCAA gives players that fifth year of eligibility, it’s a moving target. But both can be UFA this summer if they are finished with school and aren’t signed.
Hakuna Matata
Crazy he didn't get traded. Pats got literally nothing for a generational player.

I think it would have emptied a WHL teams bank to get him

All your picks next 5 years lul
KSIxSKULLS and zk97 liked this.

Mcdavid processes the game at a higher level than anyone in NHL history IMO. It’s highly unlikely Bedard is as good as Mcdavid. There’s a small chance, but odds are against him. He’ll still be a superstar right away, he’ll probably end up being PPG in the NHL next season as an 18 YO
CantStopWontStop liked this.
I wonder how Tarasenko is going to do….

He is a tad petulant. And he’s used to getting all the minutes when they matter, and has thrown fits, especially back when Hitchcock was coach when he wasn’t on the ice in key moments.

He’s now like the 4th best winger on the rangers behind Kane, Panarin, Kreider.

The news that he got pushed down the depth chart prob won’t make him mega happy, especially considering it’s a contract year for him.
Feb. 25, 2023 at 2:28 p.m.
That's crazy if it's true. I'd say he's more comparable with Gretzky/Lemieux type of players. The numbers he's putting up are historic.

he’s a future HOF no doubt, I just think Mcdavid is going to go down as the best player in NHL history by the time his career is done
KSIxSKULLS liked this.
Feb. 25, 2023 at 2:29 p.m.
Mcdavid processes the game at a higher level than anyone in NHL history IMO. It’s highly unlikely Bedard is as good as Mcdavid. There’s a small chance, but odds are against him. He’ll still be a superstar right away, he’ll probably end up being PPG in the NHL next season as an 18 YO

Agree.

We all use the term generational very loosely - mcdavid is the true once in a generation player. And it’s likely given his age that he improves some from right now the next couple years.
Db1899 liked this.
Feb. 25, 2023 at 2:32 p.m.
Quoting: A2023tdlGuesses
Agree.

We all use the term generational very loosely - mcdavid is the true once in a generation player. And it’s likely given his age that he improves some from right now the next couple years.

The way his brain is able to keep up with his skating is insane. He has a split second to make a decision and it’s almost always the right one. He just thinks the game at a much higher level than the 2nd best forward.
CantStopWontStop liked this.
Feb. 25, 2023 at 2:34 p.m.
Hakuna Matata

We have no idea if Bedard will be better or worse. But based on what we have seen he has a very high chance of doing good with a nice chance of him crushing previous 1st round pick records. As beating out McDavid junior records is a good start to bad for playoffs lul

As honestly I wouldnt be surprised if we have another 50 goal 100 point player coming. Doesnt have to be immediate but I got a feeling were in for something on par or potentially better with time.
Feb. 25, 2023 at 2:35 p.m.
Quoting: csick
U think Portillo chooses to go to a team with Askarov over LA?

I don’t really know that he should be viewing Askarov as the competition. He should be looking someplace where he has easy path to AHL. Beating out Devin Cooley is the objective.
Feb. 25, 2023 at 2:35 p.m.

https://www.sportsnet.ca/nhl/video/how-does-bedards-majestic-season-compare-to-mcdavids-final-year-with-the-otters/

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2951704-the-best-prospect-since-connor-mcdavid-meet-future-superstar-connor-bedard

Just because he compares to Mcdavid based on his junior numbers doesnt mean he’s going to have the same impact in the NHL. Bedard is a sure fire superstar, but Mcdavid is on another level where it’s almost disrespectful to Mcdavid to imply that it’s likely he’ll reach that when he hasn’t played in the nhl.

Bedard will put up 100 pts multiple times and probably win a cup in his career, i don’t think fans truly appreciate how much better/more skilled Mcdavid is than the 2nd best player in the league
Feb. 25, 2023 at 2:41 p.m.
WentWughes
he’s a future HOF no doubt, I just think Mcdavid is going to go down as the best player in NHL history by the time his career is done

Bedard has done everything at a higher level than McDavid did. That's why I'm saying his comparable is higher.
aadoyle liked this.
Feb. 25, 2023 at 2:43 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Just because he compares to Mcdavid based on his junior numbers doesnt mean he’s going to have the same impact in the NHL. Bedard is a sure fire superstar, but Mcdavid is on another level where it’s almost disrespectful to Mcdavid to imply that it’s likely he’ll reach that when he hasn’t played in the nhl.

Bedard will put up 100 pts multiple times and probably win a cup in his career, i don’t think fans truly appreciate how much better/more skilled Mcdavid is than the 2nd best player in the league

Now your just being silly

How do we not know Bedard comes into the league and does better than McDavid. We dont

Bedard might come in and be avg or come in and shock the world doing things even McDavid hasnt done. Heck maybe he basically does the same numbers first 5 years and by year 8 has 700 points to lul

Might not be immediate but saying nobody will be like McDavid or get on his level is silly as there will always come a better prospect with time thats how hockey works

Will it be Bedard or someone in the next 10 years idk but hes got all the time in the world to do his thing
Feb. 25, 2023 at 2:47 p.m.
Oh…

zk97, capsfan2121 and Saskleaf liked this.
Feb. 25, 2023 at 2:54 p.m.
Quoting: NHLfan10506
Oh…

Scratch that -

zk97 and capsfan2121 liked this.
Feb. 25, 2023 at 3:10 p.m.
Ex Nucks fan

Rangers fans really thought they were going to get good value for Krav lol
CantStopWontStop, csick, Db1899 and 6 others liked this.
Feb. 25, 2023 at 3:12 p.m.

How do we not know Bedard comes into the league and does better than McDavid. We dont

Bedard might come in and be avg or come in and shock the world doing things even McDavid hasnt done. Heck maybe he basically does the same numbers first 5 years and by year 8 has 700 points to lul

Might not be immediate but saying nobody will be like McDavid or get on his level is silly as there will always come a better prospect with time thats how hockey works

Will it be Bedard or someone in the next 10 years idk but hes got all the time in the world to do his thing

Proves the point I’m making . You’re underrating Mcdavid. I don’t think it’s much of a hot take to say there won’t be another Mcdavid
Feb. 25, 2023 at 3:12 p.m.
Ban Price trades

Bedard has done everything at a higher level than McDavid did. That's why I'm saying his comparable is higher.

For the sake of my own curiosity, I used NHLe to backwards-translate Matthews' stats had he actually played for Everett instead of sticking with the USDP and buggering off to Zurich. His 15- through 18-year old seasons are as such:

67GP: 16.879 G / 13.810 A / 30.689 P
67GP: 32.233 G / 33.975 A / 66.208 P
62GP: 49.808 G / 60.231 A / 110.039 P
57GP: 61.851 G / 56.697 A / 118.548 P

It's really hard to correlate what Bedard's 2020-21 WHL season should have looked like because the WHL played divisions-only that season and Bedard did not have access to any of the better WHL competition that season. What I do notice however is that Matthews has the better D-1 season while Bedard is projected to have the better D0 season. I very much think that has everything to do with the linemate quality Matthews had in the NLA and that his supposed Everett production probably outpaces what Bedard is doing this year if we consider season-over-season growth. Even this mathematical experiment shows that in his D-1 season, Matthews would have outproduced McDavid by about half a point. There was a lot of hype going into the 2016 Draft that Matthews was at worst on par with McDavid. The year-over-year separation shows us otherwise.

Regardless, the trajectory that we do have suggests that Bedard is projecting slightly below Matthews territory right now if we make the allowance for Auston's NLA numbers negatively skewing his D0 season. Bedard's current projection has him finishing about 1.8 points behind McDavid in his draft year. It's rarified territory regardless of where he lands. Do I think he could break the modern WHL record? I hope he does. I do wonder if his skillset and size are going to translate as well as Matthews' allowed him into the NHL. Bedard might be quicker and shiftier than Matthews which should help him adjust until he hits another growth spurt.

There are a lot of plus shooters and plus-plus shooters in the NHL right now. But nobody speaks of the likes of Laine or Pastrnak in the same postal code as McDavid. Matthews gets that attention due to his positioning and where he was drafted and until we're shown otherwise, I still think that the Auston Matthews comparable is more appropriate. McDavid's hockey IQ is probably second to only Gretzky and he combines that with skill and the kind of speed never before seen in the NHL.
Feb. 25, 2023 at 3:13 p.m.
Bedard23
Quoting: Juiceman

Comedy
Juiceman and capsfan2121 liked this.
Ex Nucks fan
Proves the point I’m making . You’re underrating Mcdavid. I don’t think it’s much of a hot take to say there won’t be another Mcdavid

Bedard is comparable to draft year McDavid, not prime McDavid. We were expecting McDavid to be insanely good, but not Gretzky level good. Who knows, maybe Bedard does actually become McDavid tier someday in his prime
Ovchinnikov 137
Quoting: Juiceman

This is terrible asset management by the Rangers
Juiceman and capsfan2121 liked this.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll