Forums/Armchair-GM

A Neutral aggressively tries to make the pens competitive

Created by: Mystaes
Team: 2023-24 Pittsburgh Penguins
Initial Creation Date: Jun. 1, 2023
Published: Jun. 1, 2023
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
Yes I overpaid/am prepared to overpay for ufa Hellebuyck. Probably needs balancing - but For one true last shot with Crosby i’d overpay to get my guy.

Obviously the tinkering would not be done here and you would have to throw the chips down if you are anywhere near playoffs at deadline time.

Pay more to dump petry if you must. This is probably not enough - most trades have them trading back from 15-17 as part of this. You could do that and then move 17 for Helleybuck instead ig.

Finally I really wanted to put RoR there instead of Suter (who is still very capable but not RoR) but couldn’t get the cap to work while also trying to fix.... everything
Free Agent Signings
UFAYEARSCAP HIT
6$5,500,000
3$2,500,000
4$3,750,000
6$5,000,000
3$2,500,000
3$2,000,000
2$1,250,000
2$1,750,000
Trades
WPG
  1. 2023 1st round pick (PIT)
PIT
DET
  1. Petry, Jeff
  2. 2023 3rd round pick (NJD)
  3. 2023 5th round pick (PIT)
Additional Details:
This is a dump not necessarily to Detroit . Still capable but the overhaul requires $$$
Buyouts
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the FLA
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the VGK
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
22$83,500,000$81,791,842$0$0$1,708,158
Left WingCentreRight Wing
Logo of the Pittsburgh Penguins
$4,500,000$4,500,000
LW, RW
M-NTC
UFA - 1
$8,700,000$8,700,000
C
NMC
UFA - 2
$5,125,000$5,125,000
RW, LW
NMC
UFA - 5
$5,500,000$5,500,000
LW, RW
UFA - 1
$6,100,000$6,100,000
C
NMC
UFA - 3
$5,000,000$5,000,000
RW, LW
M-NTC
UFA - 5
$2,500,000$2,500,000
LW, RW, C
UFA - 2
$2,500,000$2,500,000
C, LW
UFA - 2
$1,750,000$1,750,000
RW, C
UFA - 1
$2,000,000$2,000,000
LW, RW
UFA - 1
$3,125,000$3,125,000
RW, C
NMC
UFA - 1
$1,250,000$1,250,000
LW, RW
UFA - 1
$775,000$775,000
RW, LW
RFA - 1
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$5,000,000$5,000,000
LD
UFA - 6
$6,100,000$6,100,000
RD
NMC
UFA - 5
Logo of the Winnipeg Jets
$6,166,667$6,166,667
G
NMC
UFA - 1
$4,025,175$4,025,175
LD
M-NTC
UFA - 2
$3,750,000$3,750,000
RD
UFA - 7
$1,800,000$1,800,000
G
UFA - 1
$2,750,000$2,750,000
LD/RD
UFA - 2
$800,000$800,000
RD
UFA - 1
$825,000$825,000
LD
RFA - 1

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Jun. 1, 2023 at 10:02 p.m.
Future Norris guy
Pittsburghs cup window is closed, So Hellebuyck isn't wasting his time on an aging team that's trending down.
aedoran and dtd_tank liked this.
Jun. 1, 2023 at 10:07 p.m.
Quoting: HockeyIsMyPassion61
Pittsburghs cup window is closed, So Hellebuyck isn't wasting his time on an aging team that's trending down.

1) they are going to try and go for it as long as they hold Crosby whether we perceive the window to be closed or not.
2) for 2023-2024 he won’t have a choice if he is traded there
Jun. 1, 2023 at 10:13 p.m.
I would be shocked if Dubas trades the 2023 1st for a rental. Historically I can read Dubas quite well. I think he will want to acquire as many draft picks and prospects as possible this summer, while also trying to be competitive. If that first is traded, I believe it will be for a young guy, with term or team control.

I think he will try his best to put a cup winner around Crosby and Malkin but I doubt he seriously believes he can. I think his number one priority is to get as much good youth into Pits as possible, so that Crosby/Malkin/Letang can infuse them with as many good habits as possible before they retire.

First order of business for him should be to work out an extension with Guentzel. If he does not believe he can do it, Guentzel should be traded at the draft for as much draft capital and prospects as he can get for him. But getting him extended should be first priority.

Anyways, that's just my read on his press conference today. I have watched virtually all his interviews over the past 5 years, and can usually interpret him very well.
GMBL liked this.
Jun. 1, 2023 at 10:13 p.m.
Future Norris guy
Quoting: Mystaes
1) they are going to try and go for it as long as they hold Crosby whether we perceive the window to be closed or not.

True, But i doubt Dubby gives up the 14 OA for a one year rental. just saying.
GMBL and aedoran liked this.
Jun. 1, 2023 at 10:21 p.m.
jimmyjets
True, But i doubt Dubby gives up the 14 OA for a one year rental. just saying.

There’s a good chance it would be even more than just 14oa if you actually wanted him. Buffalo probably gives up 13oa+ so you’d need to beat their offer as their pick is one spot sooner.

The pens prospect cupboard is pretty empty so it’s going to be a pretty long rebuild. Helle can drag any team into the playoffs. Will Sid and Geno have any magic left for once they get there. Kind of owe it to the hockey world to find out.

The one thing he likely learned in TO is that there is no replacement for good goaltending so I would assume addressing that will be a top order of business.
Jun. 1, 2023 at 10:37 p.m.
RetireFedorov
Wings pass not close to enough compensation
aedoran liked this.
Jun. 1, 2023 at 10:37 p.m.
Edited Jun. 1, 2023 at 10:44 p.m.
Quoting: jimmyjets
There’s a good chance it would be even more than just 14oa if you actually wanted him. Buffalo probably gives up 13oa+ so you’d need to beat their offer as their pick is one spot sooner.

The pens prospect cupboard is pretty empty so it’s going to be a pretty long rebuild. Helle can drag any team into the playoffs. Will Sid and Geno have any magic left for once they get there. Kind of owe it to the hockey world to find out.

The one thing he likely learned in TO is that there is no replacement for good goaltending so I would assume addressing that will be a top order of business.

Doubt Buffalo gives up 13OV+ without knowing that Helly would stick around. After the Eichel ordeal, KA is always talking about getting guys who want to be there. In the Eichel situation, they at least got pieces some which have been very useful already. Here, if Hellybuyck walks, they will be left empty-handed.

Dubas could be expected to trade back or maybe for a young forward or defenseman with team control if he has already identified a need there. Maybe he trades back and acquires a goalie in the process but doubt it. He'll likely take his time with goaltending and see who is available in FA and via trade, so if they get Helly, it won't be at the draft. He'll want to explore every option (and no I don't think Murray is an option, Murray hated his time in Pittsburgh after Fleury was traded since some fans blamed him for the trade and harassed him).
Jun. 1, 2023 at 10:46 p.m.
Quoting: GMBL
Doubt Buffalo gives up 13OV+ without knowing that Helly would stick around. After the Eichel ordeal, KA is always talking about getting guys who want to be there. In the Eichel situation, they at least got pieces some which have been very useful already. Here, if Hellybuyck walks, they will be left empty-handed.

Dubas could be expected to trade back or maybe for a young forward or defenseman with team control if he has already identified a need there. Maybe he trades back and acquires a goalie in the process but doubt it. He'll likely take his time with goaltending and see who is available in FA and via trade, so if they get Helly, it won't be at the draft. He'll want to explore every option (and no I don't think Murray is an option, Murray hated his time in Pittsburgh after Fleury was traded since some fans blamed him for the trade and harassed him).

If anyone gives up that much for Hellebuyck, they are nuts.
MisstheWhalers liked this.
Jun. 1, 2023 at 10:48 p.m.
Quoting: Mystaes

Quoting: TMLBRIAN
I would be shocked if Dubas trades the 2023 1st for a rental. Historically I can read Dubas quite well. I think he will want to acquire as many draft picks and prospects as possible this summer, while also trying to be competitive. If that first is traded, I believe it will be for a young guy, with term or team control.

I think he will try his best to put a cup winner around Crosby and Malkin but I doubt he seriously believes he can. I think his number one priority is to get as much good youth into Pits as possible, so that Crosby/Malkin/Letang can infuse them with as many good habits as possible before they retire.

First order of business for him should be to work out an extension with Guentzel. If he does not believe he can do it, Guentzel should be traded at the draft for as much draft capital and prospects as he can get for him. But getting him extended should be first priority.

Anyways, that's just my read on his press conference today. I have watched virtually all his interviews over the past 5 years, and can usually interpret him very well.

Dubas will do the same thing in Pitt as he did for the Leaf, first summer he'll want to make a big splash.

Dubas signed J.T. , big splash which forever altered the team and Dubas.

Expect to see Dubas make a big trade, since the UFAs this summer is weak.
Jun. 1, 2023 at 10:51 p.m.
Edited Jun. 1, 2023 at 11:03 p.m.
Quoting: Victor24
If anyone gives up that much for Hellebuyck, they are nuts.

Around 10-15 OV is what is given up for an elite goaltender since that's where they are drafted.

Cory Schneider in a similar situation landed the 9th OV pick, with Hellebuyck being a workhorse goalie, it definitely would be worth it if they could secure him especially if it's just the 14th or 13th OV+something small.

Pittsburgh is in need of young talent though, so they can't afford Helly just walking and Kevin Adams in Buffalo can't afford that embarrassment even if the team would be fine.

Edit: I like the additions of Hellebuyck and Bertuzzi, but not the Dcore signings/trade. I think the Dcore needs to be carefully evaluated and then decisions made after the fiasco that happened last year.
Jun. 1, 2023 at 11:18 p.m.
Quoting: draft_em_sign_em_trade_em
Dubas will do the same thing in Pitt as he did for the Leaf, first summer he'll want to make a big splash.

Dubas signed J.T. , big splash which forever altered the team and Dubas.

Expect to see Dubas make a big trade, since the UFAs this summer is weak.

I expect Dubas will be active and make some big moves for sure. But I would be surprised if he moves the 14th overall for a pending UFA.

However, I can see him moving it for a player like Debrincat. Young, star winger. Helps them win now but will also still be good for when Crosby is done. That would not shock me at all.
Jun. 1, 2023 at 11:19 p.m.
Around 10-15 OV is what is given up for an elite goaltender since that's where they are drafted.

Cory Schneider in a similar situation landed the 9th OV pick, with Hellebuyck being a workhorse goalie, it definitely would be worth it if they could secure him especially if it's just the 14th or 13th OV+something small.

Pittsburgh is in need of young talent though, so they can't afford Helly just walking and Kevin Adams in Buffalo can't afford that embarrassment even if the team would be fine.

Edit: I like the additions of Hellebuyck and Bertuzzi, but not the Dcore signings/trade. I think the Dcore needs to be carefully evaluated and then decisions made after the fiasco that happened last year.

In terms of performance, you can compare Schneider to Hellebuyck (top 10 in the league for a number of years) but Schneider was 27 not 30 and he had 2 years on his deal, not 1. Also, people at the time (and in hindsight) said it was an overpay. Since then, Ben Bishop and Darcy Kuemper (two top 10 goalies) have been traded (both rentals) for much less. I don't think Hellebuyck brings back more than an A prospect or low 1st and a B prospect. Definitely not a top 15 pick.
Jun. 1, 2023 at 11:36 p.m.
Edited Jun. 1, 2023 at 11:47 p.m.
In terms of performance, you can compare Schneider to Hellebuyck (top 10 in the league for a number of years) but Schneider was 27 not 30 and he had 2 years on his deal, not 1. Also, people at the time (and in hindsight) said it was an overpay. Since then, Ben Bishop and Darcy Kuemper (two top 10 goalies) have been traded (both rentals) for much less. I don't think Hellebuyck brings back more than an A prospect or low 1st and a B prospect. Definitely not a top 15 pick.

Well, Vancouver gave the 9th OV, taking an elite goalie at 10 is pretty high. There is a significant value drop between 10th OV and 15th OV picks (like a late 2nd/early 3rd). At 12-15 OV that's typical so if it's that pick alone isn't. Considering that Hellebuyck is considered a top 5 goalie vs top 10, he's going to fetch more than Bishop and Kuemper who did get traded for what was expected to be a late 1st+timmins (who was a good RD prospect think his value was reduced though)+ a 3rd, and notice how the pick was only top 10 protected. I think the value of that Kuemper package was somewhere between 15-20 OV in hindsight with Colorado winning the cup assuming Timmins could have fetched at least a 2nd.

Not sure which Bishop trade you are referring to but the hype was real with Conacher.
Jun. 2, 2023 at 3:23 a.m.
Well, Vancouver gave the 9th OV, taking an elite goalie at 10 is pretty high. There is a significant value drop between 10th OV and 15th OV picks (like a late 2nd/early 3rd). At 12-15 OV that's typical so if it's that pick alone isn't. Considering that Hellebuyck is considered a top 5 goalie vs top 10, he's going to fetch more than Bishop and Kuemper who did get traded for what was expected to be a late 1st+timmins (who was a good RD prospect think his value was reduced though)+ a 3rd, and notice how the pick was only top 10 protected. I think the value of that Kuemper package was somewhere between 15-20 OV in hindsight with Colorado winning the cup assuming Timmins could have fetched at least a 2nd.

Not sure which Bishop trade you are referring to but the hype was real with Conacher.

Well in the last 3 years, Hellebuycks WAR ranking has been 4th, 8th, 1st. Before his trade Bishop was 8th, 10th, 5th. Slightly worse but not night and day.

Bishop and a 5th were traded for a backup goalie, an A prospect, and a 7th. From TB to LA.

I think Hellebuyck is worth a pick in the range if 18-25 in a regular draft. In 2023 draft, that is more in the 25-30 range (based off what I've heard about this draft).

Goalies are far too volatile to trade premium assets for, and teams are loath to do it. Which is why great goalies are rarely traded.

It is possible Hellebuyck goes for a medium 1st, I would just doubt it.
Jun. 2, 2023 at 4:35 a.m.
Well in the last 3 years, Hellebuycks WAR ranking has been 4th, 8th, 1st. Before his trade Bishop was 8th, 10th, 5th. Slightly worse but not night and day.

Bishop and a 5th were traded for a backup goalie, an A prospect, and a 7th. From TB to LA.

I think Hellebuyck is worth a pick in the range if 18-25 in a regular draft. In 2023 draft, that is more in the 25-30 range (based off what I've heard about this draft).

Goalies are far too volatile to trade premium assets for, and teams are loath to do it. Which is why great goalies are rarely traded.

It is possible Hellebuyck goes for a medium 1st, I would just doubt it.

I doubt it happens as well, but if it does I wouldn't be surprised. Dubas wouldn't be the one to invest a ton in goaltending due to volatility but there are definitely GMs out there that would.

I do think that slightly difference yields a different result because of the perception I think Bishop was probably just out of people's top 5 goalies (might have been one though) while Hellebuyck would be considered top 5 still by some executives.
Victor24 liked this.
Jun. 2, 2023 at 9:01 a.m.
Detroit could be a good fit for Petry. Detroit will be looking for a veteran RD to slide into the top 4 and Petry could be that guy. I think that Pittsburgh would probably have to move a 2nd + to get it done considering Detroit took Marc Staal for a 2nd with only 1 year remaining on his deal. There are only going to be a handful of teams that will be willing to take cap dumps this year so their will be a premium on dumping guys IMO.
Jun. 2, 2023 at 9:23 a.m.

My god dude you're still here in Pens ACGMs commenting nonsense? Lol
Jun. 2, 2023 at 1:18 p.m.
Quoting: rednwhite
Detroit could be a good fit for Petry. Detroit will be looking for a veteran RD to slide into the top 4 and Petry could be that guy. I think that Pittsburgh would probably have to move a 2nd + to get it done considering Detroit took Marc Staal for a 2nd with only 1 year remaining on his deal. There are only going to be a handful of teams that will be willing to take cap dumps this year so their will be a premium on dumping guys IMO.

For that reason, I don't think the Pens trade him. He can recoup some value or be put in a better position to succeed. Look at Marcus Pettersson last year. People were saying he would need a 2nd or 3rd attached to move. Now ACGMs are trading a 2nd and 3rd for him.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll