SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/NHL

2023 NHL Offseason Discussion Thread #2 - The Salepocalypse

Jun. 13, 2023 at 9:53 a.m.
Respect Mike Grier
Quoting: HelmutCool
One would think he gets his chances, as the WPG dumpsterfire keeps losing players.

Not really about him getting his chances, I'm more thinking he might wanna chase money on a team closer too success and not in Winnipeg
Jun. 13, 2023 at 9:54 a.m.
Edited Jun. 13, 2023 at 11:39 a.m.
Quoting: A_Habs_fan
EK has a 1mil signing bonus this year? He has 40mil left on his contract to pay too, I think you forgot a year in your math

Did I screw that up? That would be bad, afraid to look now. I’m usually pretty accurate.

Yeah, I did. Unsure how. My bad.
Jun. 13, 2023 at 10:19 a.m.
Ban Price trades
Quoting: oilersguy

F***!, this is terrible news to wake up to Staios was suppose to be the Oilers new GM a year from now when Hollands contract ends and he retires (he's already stated that he strongly considering retirement in 2024), The Sens don't even need a new GM they need a new coach

Man this feels dirty to say but I would far rather see Brad Holland and Keith Gretzky continue to run this ship.

The only external hire that remotely interests me is Eric Tulsky. Never understood why the org and media was so high on Staios beyond the "he's a former Oiler" angle. His track record isn't super impressive.
Jun. 13, 2023 at 10:23 a.m.
Saskoiler for now

F***!, this is terrible news to wake up to Staios was suppose to be the Oilers new GM a year from now when Hollands contract ends and he retires (he's already stated that he strongly considering retirement in 2024), The Sens don't even need a new GM they need a new coach

Hold up, when did Dangle become an insider?
BigBallsBriere, CantStopWontStop, oilersguy and 2 others liked this.
Jun. 13, 2023 at 10:27 a.m.
Respect Mike Grier

ehh I disagree about the Sens not needing a new GM. Pierre Dorkion is pretty mid, I think he severely misjudged where the Sens were, and 2 years without picks in the first 3 rounds while not even making the playoffs is a MAJOR L.
Jun. 13, 2023 at 10:37 a.m.
Quoting: ARMCHAIRGMOFTHEYEAR
ehh I disagree about the Sens not needing a new GM. Pierre Dorkion is pretty mid, I think he severely misjudged where the Sens were, and 2 years without picks in the first 3 rounds while not even making the playoffs is a MAJOR L.

Summer of Pierre went downhill pretty fast. Would've been good moves if they were long term fits, but everyone knew DeBrincat's expiring contract would be an issue and they got burned trading for a 34 year old goalie. Hopefully Chychrun fairs better leaving the desert than the last 2 hyped defenseman to get moved out of Arizona in Yandle and OEL
Jun. 13, 2023 at 10:44 a.m.
KFTW
Quoting: Turbo
Summer of Pierre went downhill pretty fast. Would've been good moves if they were long term fits, but everyone knew DeBrincat's expiring contract would be an issue and they got burned trading for a 34 year old goalie. Hopefully Chychrun fairs better leaving the desert than the last 2 hyped defenseman to get moved out of Arizona in Yandle and OEL

Tbh they got burned by the Norris injury, getting the top 4 Dman (Chychrun) too late in the season and having an .895 team save percentage
Jun. 13, 2023 at 12:20 p.m.
Ban Price trades
Edited Jun. 13, 2023 at 12:35 p.m.
Quoting: Saskleaf
Hold up, when did Dangle become an insider?

He gets about one or two decent scoops per year and with the SDPN being its own entity now, expect more.

The man has established himself a pretty broad scope of contacts throughout his career. The work he's done in the OHL, AHL, for Nike, the stuff Adam runs with Agent Provocateur, his charity stuff with Lindros; all of it has put him in the loop. Of course he hasn't built the rapport that a Chris Johnson, Elliot Friedman, etc have, but he's done well for himself.

I remain a big fan to this day.
BigBallsBriere, Eissportclub, A_Habs_fan and 5 others liked this.
Jun. 13, 2023 at 1:35 p.m.
Saskoiler for now
Quoting: BeterChiarelli
He gets about one or two decent scoops per year and with the SDPN being its own entity now, expect more.

The man has established himself a pretty broad scope of contacts throughout his career. The work he's done in the OHL, AHL, for Nike, the stuff Adam runs with Agent Provocateur, his charity stuff with Lindros; all of it has put him in the loop. Of course he hasn't built the rapport that a Chris Johnson, Elliot Friedman, etc have, but he's done well for himself.

I remain a big fan to this day.

Oh don’t get me wrong, I’m a big fan of him as well. The way I framed it did kind of seem like I was discrediting the info but that was not what I meant. I’m just surprised to see him breaking news like this. Hopefully we do see more of this.
BeterChiarelli liked this.
Jun. 13, 2023 at 1:56 p.m.
Respect Mike Grier

The Flyers are SO BACK

(he's gonna do a lot of the Player development stuff apparently)
CantStopWontStop and zk97 liked this.
Jun. 13, 2023 at 3:10 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Edited Jun. 13, 2023 at 3:18 p.m.
How do the Oilers plan to afford Konecney when they got 6.7mill in cap and need to extend Bouchard

To me the priority for them should be fixing that blue line specifically RD as other than Bouchard its not good. But nope holland seems to want to add more of what they already got

And sure they can dump Yamamoto and Kulak but that gets them 12.7 mill in cap but then u still got to remember Kostin, Bouchard, and Mcleod gonna get extensions and u got to sign depth to replace the other guys u moved and fill out the team.
Jun. 13, 2023 at 3:23 p.m.

I'll admit I didn't read the article because I don't have one of those $1 Athletic promo subscriptions but I'm getting sick of seeing this trope. If you don't count Brunette's interim status in FLA, 17 head coaches have only been a head coach with their current team, that's just over half the league.
Jun. 13, 2023 at 3:27 p.m.
Ban Price trades
Quoting: aadoyle
How do the Oilers plan to afford Konecney when they got 6.7mill in cap and need to extend Bouchard

To me the priority for them should be fixing that blue line specifically RD as other than Bouchard its not good. But nope holland seems to want to add more of what they already got

And sure they can dump Yamamoto and Kulak but that gets them 12.7 mill in cap but then u still got to remember Kostin, Bouchard, and Mcleod gonna get extensions and u got to sign depth to replace the other guys u moved and fill out the team.

I mean McLeod hasn't done much to see too much more money than $1.5M AAV and Kostin is likely getting a one-year show me deal. New franchise, new start, let's prove that he's here for the long haul. Probably gets the maximum buriable amount as his cap ($1.15M). Bouchard, unless he signs an offer sheet, is going to be looking at a bridge deal of one or two years when there's enough of a rise in the cap to offer him the payday he wants. Something in rounding error of $3M.

No solution to the blue line makes sense during the summer. The cost to move Ceci's cap hit and bring in an actual improvement is likely more expensive than making a move at the deadline. The philosophy for the summer should be to keep the RFA's and improve the forward depth. Ideally you mend, not outright fix, the PK woes in this process too. I think the plan is to give Broberg more leash, possibly alongside Nurse (small sample size, really good metrics) and try and fill that vacancy internally.

Moving one of Foegele or Yamamoto, even without considering any deal for Konecny is a given, and it's going to come at an unfortunate expense to the Oilers. Acquiring Travis likely sees the other as part of that deal. Brown, Pacioretty, and Toews are all supposedly on the market for cheap one-year deals. There's the backfill. They just need to get by for this season, then the money problem should go away organically.
oilersguy liked this.
Jun. 13, 2023 at 3:28 p.m.
Ban Price trades
Derek Ryan extends in Edmonton for $900k AAV. Two year deal.
capsfan2121, BigBallsBriere, oilersguy and 2 others liked this.
Jun. 13, 2023 at 3:41 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
I mean McLeod hasn't done much to see too much more money than $1.5M AAV and Kostin is likely getting a one-year show me deal. New franchise, new start, let's prove that he's here for the long haul. Probably gets the maximum buriable amount as his cap ($1.15M). Bouchard, unless he signs an offer sheet, is going to be looking at a bridge deal of one or two years when there's enough of a rise in the cap to offer him the payday he wants. Something in rounding error of $3M.

No solution to the blue line makes sense during the summer. The cost to move Ceci's cap hit and bring in an actual improvement is likely more expensive than making a move at the deadline. The philosophy for the summer should be to keep the RFA's and improve the forward depth. Ideally you mend, not outright fix, the PK woes in this process too. I think the plan is to give Broberg more leash, possibly alongside Nurse (small sample size, really good metrics) and try and fill that vacancy internally.

Moving one of Foegele or Yamamoto, even without considering any deal for Konecny is a given, and it's going to come at an unfortunate expense to the Oilers. Acquiring Travis likely sees the other as part of that deal. Brown, Pacioretty, and Toews are all supposedly on the market for cheap one-year deals. There's the backfill. They just need to get by for this season, then the money problem should go away organically.

Agreed

As if we look at comparable

Bouchard = Dobson 4mill x 2 years
Mcleod = Luostarinen 1.5mill x 3 years
Kostin = Janmark 1.25mill x 1 years

Ryan just signed for 900k x 2 years so thats one depth guy out of the way

So I made the team and the issue is in order to make him work u need to get rid of Yamamoto, Foegele, Kulak, and Broberg and can have a 20 man team

I feel the best thing for EDM to do is just try and sign someone like Gudas or trade for someone like Demelo to improve the right side of their blue line

Allows them to have a 22 man team and keep the majority of their depth

As a blue line of

Nurse-Demelo
Ekholm-Bouchard
Kulak-Ceci

Aint bad

As EDM can keep forward spots open for the young guys like Holloway, Savoie, etc
Jun. 13, 2023 at 3:41 p.m.
Tintin over 1122
Prime Lucic or Tom Wilson?
Jun. 13, 2023 at 3:42 p.m.
Hakuna Matata

Dam was off by a year. I guessed 1.3 mill x 1 year
Jun. 13, 2023 at 3:43 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Quoting: capsfan2121

Got to go prime Lucic

That man was a monster
Jun. 13, 2023 at 3:45 p.m.
Tintin over 1122
Got to go prime Lucic

That man was a monster

Damn it
Jun. 13, 2023 at 3:45 p.m.
Ban Price trades
Agreed

As if we look at comparable

Bouchard = Dobson 4mill x 2 years
Mcleod = Luostarinen 1.5mill x 3 years
Kostin = Janmark 1.25mill x 1 years

Ryan just signed for 900k x 2 years so thats one depth guy out of the way

So I made the team and the issue is in order to make him work u need to get rid of Yamamoto, Foegele, Kulak, and Broberg and can have a 20 man team

I feel the best thing for EDM to do is just try and sign someone like Gudas or trade for someone like Demelo

Allows them to have a 22 man team and keep the majority of their depth

As a blue line of

Nurse-Demelo
Ekholm-Bouchard
Kulak-Ceci

Aint bad

Probably a bit rich on Bouchard given that Dobson signed his $4M deal on a three year term. I don't think Bouchard can ask for more than what Nurse was bridged at ($3.25M).

If I'm in Holland's POV and trying to trade for Konecny, I'm paying the extra assets to get the retention to 50%: something like Berezkin, Holloway, Yamamoto and the 2024 1st and see what Briere's appetite for that deal is. Let the accrued space and willingness of other teams to retain at the deadline be the mechanism to acquire a Demelo type. Foegele is a cap casualty no matter what universe we find ourselves in. I'm not sure how you also found need to rid yourself of Broberg and Kulak.
Jun. 13, 2023 at 3:46 p.m.
Amirov Forever
Quoting: capsfan2121

Prime Lucic is probably the best power forward in the modern era. That guy was a horse
Jun. 13, 2023 at 3:46 p.m.
Respect Mike Grier
Edited Jun. 13, 2023 at 3:55 p.m.

Solid Deal!

was one person who showed up in the playoffs, and contract is very ideal for their current situation
BeterChiarelli liked this.
Jun. 13, 2023 at 3:57 p.m.
I make typos
Man this feels dirty to say but I would far rather see Brad Holland and Keith Gretzky continue to run this ship.

The only external hire that remotely interests me is Eric Tulsky. Never understood why the org and media was so high on Staios beyond the "he's a former Oiler" angle. His track record isn't super impressive.

Staios did great work in the OHL and has worked in other NHL orgs. Also for Holland and Gretzky one could argue that they are where they are because of their last names
Jun. 13, 2023 at 4:03 p.m.
I make typos
Quoting: ARMCHAIRGMOFTHEYEAR

Bro Dorion got a top line winger who and #2/3 Dman who are both only 25 with out giving up a single roster player
Jun. 13, 2023 at 4:05 p.m.
Ban Price trades
Staios did great work in the OHL and has worked in other NHL orgs. Also for Holland and Gretzky one could argue that they are where they are because of their last names

And Staios doesn't deserve any flack for his having an NHL career with the Oilers?

Brad and Keith (Keith moreso) may have started their careers with a degree of nepotism but they've already shown that they make quality moves. The progression in our drafting and developing has Keith Gretzky's fingerprints all over it. Brad orchestrated the Ekholm deal.

If Staios was applying for an AGM position I'd have more time for him but I don't really think he did an exceptional job in Hamilton. Decent sure, but unproven.
oilersguy liked this.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll