SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/NHL

2023 NHL Offseason Discussion Thread #2 - The Salepocalypse

Jun. 11, 2023 at 12:06 p.m.
Respect Mike Grier
Flyers have reportedly turned down offers including a late first for Scott Laughton. According to Anthony Di Marco

https://twitter.com/ADiMarco25/status/1667924784888311811?s=20

CF never lets me link his tweets
Jun. 11, 2023 at 12:44 p.m.
SHL NJD GM
Quoting: ARMCHAIRGMOFTHEYEAR
Flyers have reportedly turned down offers including a late first for Scott Laughton. According to Anthony Di Marco

Yikes lol, A late 1st for Laughton is an easy yes
aadoyle liked this.
Jun. 11, 2023 at 12:51 p.m.
Respect Mike Grier
Quoting: A_Habs_fan
Yikes lol, A late 1st for Laughton is an easy yes

I disagree. I don't think it's easy, especially if there is multiple teams who are "very" interested. You try to squeeze out as much value as possible.

Laughton was also the Flyers only capatain material player the last year, They value having a guy who can lead the young players through tough times, and he's shown he can be a guy the younger ones can lean on.

Most of our young players have mentioned him being a huge help. Fantilli most recently mentioned him about his impact on him at Worlds.

With that being said if there are firsts on the table, I think it's likely Briere lands on a deal he likes it's just about finding the deal with all the qualities.
zk97 and Steven_Stamkos liked this.
Jun. 11, 2023 at 3:21 p.m.
Hakuna Matata

Well hope they have fun with him

As look at it like this

Leafs paid a late 1st for 2.5years of McCabe at 50% retention (2mill a season)

Laughtons got 3 years at 3mill

A late 1st and maybe a prospect would have been fair as his cap hits not dirt cheap like Hagel

I would have taken the picks as it just takes one bad performance or injury for the price to tank
Jun. 11, 2023 at 3:38 p.m.
WentWughes

Might've missed this post, but damn Winnipeg L
Jun. 11, 2023 at 3:41 p.m.
KFTW
Quoting: KSIxSKULLS

Whoever trades more than a rental price of a B prospect, 1st and 2nd for him is an L
KSIxSKULLS and Tintin liked this.
Jun. 11, 2023 at 3:44 p.m.
Bedard23

Have they still not learned?
csick liked this.
Jun. 11, 2023 at 4:43 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Edited Jun. 11, 2023 at 5:06 p.m.
Quoting: KSIxSKULLS

Gonna galaxy brain this but WPG could have a very interesting offseason

At the draft

PLD to MTL in a sign and trade

Hellebuyck to Carolina for Picks and Prospects he extends on a 4 year deal.

With the extra assets WPG then makes a deal for Hart

But yea guys gonna get a nice pkg for WPG thats for sure

CantStopWontStop liked this.
Jun. 11, 2023 at 9:34 p.m.
Respect Mike Grier
Quoting: aadoyle
Well hope they have fun with him

As look at it like this

Leafs paid a late 1st for 2.5years of McCabe at 50% retention (2mill a season)

Laughtons got 3 years at 3mill

A late 1st and maybe a prospect would have been fair as his cap hits not dirt cheap like Hagel

I would have taken the picks as it just takes one bad performance or injury for the price to tank

I wouldn't rule out him being traded still, just because the Flyers have rejected offers so far doesn't mean he's off the table. I think it's good that Briere is being stingy because you have too be when trading players or you'll end up selling low.

I'm think Briere is probably looking for a similar return to what Coleman got.

Also McCabe is a bad comp, there was Kyle Davidson tax in that deal.
Jun. 11, 2023 at 9:41 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Edited Jun. 11, 2023 at 9:48 p.m.
I wouldn't rule out him being traded still, just because the Flyers have rejected offers so far doesn't mean he's off the table. I think it's good that Briere is being stingy because you have too be when trading players or you'll end up selling low.

I'm think Briere is probably looking for a similar return to what Coleman got.

Also McCabe is a bad comp, there was Kyle Davidson tax in that deal.

Yea thats not happening as Colemen was 1.8mill for 2.5 years and had 20 goals

Laughton is at 3mill for 3 years but if we go by contract vs. Surplus value hes rn worth 3.3mill so a team would get 300k in extra value. Coleman at the time was making 1.8mill but was worth 4mill

If he was on 1.5mill x 3 years the value would be there heck arguable more like Hagel.

Agree with Rono take the late 1st and run as thats already surplus value in their eyes
Jun. 11, 2023 at 10:01 p.m.
Respect Mike Grier
Yea thats not happening as Colemen was 1.8mill for 2.5 years and had 20 goals

Laughton is at 3mill for 3 years but if we go by contract vs. Surplus value hes rn worth 3.3mill so a team would get 300k in extra value. Coleman at the time was making 1.8mill but was worth 4mill

If he was on 1.5mill x 3 years the value would be there heck arguable more like Hagel.

1.5 Years, and Laughton basically had 20 goals last season he was 2 shy, and also put up 43 points which is more than Coleman ever has had.

The return might be slightly less than what Coleman got but if they're but if they're rejecting firsts and he's allegedly "popular" it sounds too me that they could probably squeeze out a first and a decent asset that is closish of the value of Nolan Footes when he was traded.
Steven_Stamkos liked this.
Jun. 12, 2023 at 9:47 a.m.
3 off-season hockey trades I want for funsies: (does not include the full value, cap implications, and assumes both players re-up with new teams if applicable)

Elias Pettersson for Matthews or Marner

Jesper Bratt or Timo Meier for Alexis Lafrenierre

Erik Karlsson for Colton Parayko
csick and Saskleaf liked this.
Jun. 12, 2023 at 10:06 a.m.
Respect Mike Grier
Timo Meier Overpayment loading...
Jun. 12, 2023 at 3:51 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Edited Jun. 12, 2023 at 4:40 p.m.
Quoting: CantStopWontStop
3 off-season hockey trades I want for funsies: (does not include the full value, cap implications, and assumes both players re-up with new teams if applicable)

Elias Pettersson for Matthews or Marner

Jesper Bratt or Timo Meier for Alexis Lafrenierre

Erik Karlsson for Colton Parayko

Pete to Toronto's over with Dubas gone

As funny enough when he was doing workouts he visited 2 teams Van and Tor as that was the era of Dubas loving small skilled forwards

If he leaves Van to follow Dubas hes going to the old folks home called Pittsburgh

Others I could see and would be funny

Should have done Debrincat for Bratt spam x 1000
Jun. 12, 2023 at 8:15 p.m.
Ban Price trades
I have spent the past hour or so geeking out about McDavid again. Some fun trivia:

- McDavid only needs to hit 127 points in 82 games played next year to tie Mike Bossy for the third-highest PPG (>100GP) of all time.
- A 139-point season would add McDavid's name to the top-100 point producers in NHL history, giving him the only sub-800 games played on that list besides the aforementioned Mike Bossy (752GP).
- A 150 point-season would put him at 1000 points through his first nine seasons. Assuming 82GP, he would be be the fourth-fastest player to the benchmark, behind only Gretzky, Gretzky(!!), and Lemieux. Mike Bossy hit the benchmark in 659GP, McDavid would finish an 82-game season with 651GP.
- Winning the scoring title in the 2023/24 season would put McDavid as the third player to ever win 6 or more Art Ross Trophies (Gretzky/Lemieux). A seventh victory at any point in the duration of his career puts him second to only Gretzky for the most Art Ross Trophies (the Great One lays claim to 10 of the things wtf).
- Winning the Hart Trophy this season and another at any point in his career would tie McDavid with Eddie Shore for most Hart Trophies won (4): only Gretzky and Howe have more (9 and 6 respectively).

At some point - and ideally with the Oilers (not rescinding my bias, sorry) - this man must win a Stanley Cup. Hockey's Rushmore will be remade the day he retires to include Connor McDavid. He's already pushing the limits on being the third or fourth-best player of all time (mileage re: Crosby, Howe, Orr, Bossy, etc all vary wildly; choose as your fandom dictates).

This man was made in a lab.
NorthernLeafsFan05, BigBallsBriere, A_Habs_fan and 4 others liked this.
Jun. 12, 2023 at 9:05 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Edited Jun. 12, 2023 at 9:13 p.m.
Quoting: BeterChiarelli
I have spent the past hour or so geeking out about McDavid again. Some fun trivia:

- McDavid only needs to hit 127 points in 82 games played next year to tie Mike Bossy for the third-highest PPG (>100GP) of all time.
- A 139-point season would add McDavid's name to the top-100 point producers in NHL history, giving him the only sub-800 games played on that list besides the aforementioned Mike Bossy (752GP).
- A 150 point-season would put him at 1000 points through his first nine seasons. Assuming 82GP, he would be be the fourth-fastest player to the benchmark, behind only Gretzky, Gretzky(!!), and Lemieux. Mike Bossy hit the benchmark in 659GP, McDavid would finish an 82-game season with 651GP.
- Winning the scoring title in the 2023/24 season would put McDavid as the third player to ever win 6 or more Art Ross Trophies (Gretzky/Lemieux). A seventh victory at any point in the duration of his career puts him second to only Gretzky for the most Art Ross Trophies (the Great One lays claim to 10 of the things wtf).
- Winning the Hart Trophy this season and another at any point in his career would tie McDavid with Eddie Shore for most Hart Trophies won (4): only Gretzky and Howe have more (9 and 6 respectively).

At some point - and ideally with the Oilers (not rescinding my bias, sorry) - this man must win a Stanley Cup. Hockey's Rushmore will be remade the day he retires to include Connor McDavid. He's already pushing the limits on being the third or fourth-best player of all time (mileage re: Crosby, Howe, Orr, Bossy, etc all vary wildly; choose as your fandom dictates).

This man was made in a lab.

The dumb thing about hockey McDavid has that incredible record breaking season and the Oilers somehow do worse in the playoffs. Cant just rely on him and Draisaitl along with the PP to carry.

To me their blue line needs work but the problem is cap space. This is gonna be a pretty tricky year for Holland 6.7 mill and needs to extend Bouchard, Kostin and Mcleod along with one other guy to meet the minimum requirement

Anyways Holland's got his work cut out for him as u got to keep this guy happy and make a team that can get his his cup. As while the Pacific is easy rn that might not be the case for long

Van and CGY could be better next year and if LA adds Hellebuyck and VGK Debrincat god help them.

Dont waste this guy is all I say
Jun. 12, 2023 at 9:22 p.m.
Edited Jun. 13, 2023 at 11:38 a.m.
NEVERMIND I WAS WRONG SRY.

Looking at Karlsson’s contract:

Roughly 1/3 of all remaining money due to him over 3 years will be paid on July 1st. 10 mil out of 27.5.

If the Sharks pay that I would be shocked (assuming they are rebuilding). If they paid that then dealt him his value is much higher to the point he may be untradable given his new cost.

I would not be shocked if they retained against the cap to avoid paying that.

In other words, there are 10 million reasons why Erik Karlsson will try to be dealt by July 1st or failure to deal him may make his value too high to move.

This is the same contract situation which led the Blues paying with a bag of dimes for Ryan O’Rielly from Buffalo: the Blues paid the bonus due the next day/that day after the trade was consummated.
Jun. 12, 2023 at 9:42 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Edited Jun. 12, 2023 at 9:49 p.m.

Roughly 1/3 of all remaining money due to him over 3 years will be paid on July 1st. 10 mil out of 27.5.

If the Sharks pay that I would be shocked (assuming they are rebuilding). If they paid that then dealt him his value is much higher to the point he may be untradable given his new cost.

In other words, there are 10 million reasons why Erik Karlsson will try to be dealt by July 1st or failure to deal him may make his value too high to move.

This is the same contract situation which led the Blues paying with a bag of dimes for Ryan O’Rielly from Buffalo: the Blues paid the bonus due the next day.

3 issues though

Term
Cap hit
Hes 33
Has 4 more years
And I doubt SJS retain 50%.

Not many competitive teams have the space for him nor might want to make the space for him due to the age risk. Now its not saying never say never but it just feels like SJS are stuck with him. As unlike Burns the term and cap hits a bit to much. And if they retain they only got 1 spot left which makes other moves more difficult (3-way retention, etc)
Jun. 12, 2023 at 11:23 p.m.
Respect Mike Grier
This is a really tough thing too predict but who's a young player who in a few years might be a star in yours eyes?

Kinda thinking like a player entering there age 25/26 seasons that could be a in similar situations as Debrincat is now.

Perfetti is one I'm high on, and could be in that situation maybe depending on how things in WPG shake out.
Jun. 13, 2023 at 12:16 a.m.
Kansler
This is a really tough thing too predict but who's a young player who in a few years might be a star in yours eyes?

Kinda thinking like a player entering there age 25/26 seasons that could be a in similar situations as Debrincat is now.

Perfetti is one I'm high on, and could be in that situation maybe depending on how things in WPG shake out.

One would think he gets his chances, as the WPG dumpsterfire keeps losing players.
Jun. 13, 2023 at 12:27 a.m.
3 issues though

Term
Cap hit
Hes 33
Has 4 more years
And I doubt SJS retain 50%.

Not many competitive teams have the space for him nor might want to make the space for him due to the age risk. Now its not saying never say never but it just feels like SJS are stuck with him. As unlike Burns the term and cap hits a bit to much. And if they retain they only got 1 spot left which makes other moves more difficult (3-way retention, etc)

Agree.

I think teams will try to prob get him down to like 8-9AAV - like a 20% retain or whatever the math ends up being - simply because there is a shortage of cap space and that will likely be required for the deal to work, and also cost a ton in futures.

If they do pay that much cash on July 1st they’re going to want to recoup that.

If they don’t want to pay that much cash on July 1 then the price of Karlsson may be lower than it otherwise would be. Declining an offer right before the deadline is a 10 million dollar decision.
Saskleaf liked this.
Jun. 13, 2023 at 7:21 a.m.
SHL NJD GM

This is the same contract situation which led the Blues paying with a bag of dimes for Ryan O’Rielly from Buffalo: the Blues paid the bonus due the next day/that day after the trade was consummated.

EK has a 1mil signing bonus this year? He has 40mil left on his contract to pay too, I think you forgot a year in your math
Jun. 13, 2023 at 8:51 a.m.
Respect Mike Grier

zk97 liked this.
Jun. 13, 2023 at 9:31 a.m.
SHL NJD GM

Expected, he had a 10% ownership of the Habs ( he now has to sell that ) and he seemed like the best choice left
Jun. 13, 2023 at 9:33 a.m.
I make typos

F***!, this is terrible news to wake up to Staios was suppose to be the Oilers new GM a year from now when Hollands contract ends and he retires (he's already stated that he strongly considering retirement in 2024), The Sens don't even need a new GM they need a new coach
Saskleaf liked this.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll