Kings have made things interesting

Created by: njlaforte
Team: 2023-24 Winnipeg Jets
Initial Creation Date: Jun. 16, 2023
Published: Jun. 16, 2023
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
Elliotte Friedman this morning had some big news on the PLD situation:

“I have thought for a lot that PLD would end up in MTL. Everybody lies around the draft but I think the Kings have made this interesting. I think they have leaned in very hard. If they haven’t made an offer, they have let the Jets know ‘we are in, and we are willing to make this work.’”

So what package works for both sides?
Trades
WPG
  1. Vilardi, Gabriel [RFA Rights]
LAK
    PLD
    WPG
    1. Durzi, Sean
    2. Turcotte, Alex
    3. 2024 1st round pick (LAK)
    LAK
      PLD
      WPG
      1. Kaliyev, Arthur
      Additional Details:
      Durzi
      1st
      LAK
        PLD
        DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
        Logo of the WPG
        Logo of the WPG
        Logo of the WPG
        Logo of the NYR
        Logo of the WPG
        Logo of the WPG
        Logo of the LAK
        Logo of the WPG
        Logo of the WPG
        Logo of the WPG
        Logo of the WPG
        Logo of the WPG
        Logo of the WPG
        Logo of the WPG
        Logo of the WPG
        Logo of the WPG
        Logo of the WPG
        Logo of the WPG
        ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
        19$83,500,000$67,440,359$0$5,562,500$16,059,641
        Left WingCentreRight Wing
        Logo of the Winnipeg Jets
        $7,142,857$7,142,857
        LW
        UFA - 3
        $6,125,000$6,125,000
        C
        NMC
        UFA - 1
        $800,000$800,000 (Performance Bonus$300,000$300K)
        RW
        NTC
        UFA - 1
        $4,000,000$4,000,000
        LW, RW
        UFA - 1
        $3,250,000$3,250,000
        C
        M-NTC
        UFA - 3
        $6,000,000$6,000,000
        RW, LW
        M-NTC
        UFA - 2
        $775,000$775,000
        LW, C
        RFA - 1
        Logo of the Los Angeles Kings
        $894,167$894,167 (Performance Bonus$2,650,000$3M)
        LW, C
        RFA - 1
        $2,166,667$2,166,667
        RW
        UFA - 2
        $894,167$894,167 (Performance Bonus$1,550,000$2M)
        C
        RFA - 1
        $894,167$894,167 (Performance Bonus$212,500$212K)
        RW, LW
        RFA - 1
        Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
        $6,250,000$6,250,000
        LD
        NMC
        UFA - 5
        $5,875,000$5,875,000
        RD
        M-NTC
        UFA - 2
        $6,166,667$6,166,667
        G
        NMC
        UFA - 1
        $5,950,000$5,950,000
        LD/RD
        M-NTC
        UFA - 2
        $3,000,000$3,000,000
        RD
        M-NTC
        UFA - 1
        $1,700,000$1,700,000
        LD/RD
        RFA - 1
        $3,900,000$3,900,000
        LD
        UFA - 1
        $762,500$762,500
        LD
        UFA - 1
        ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
        $894,167$894,167 (Performance Bonus$850,000$850K)
        LW, C
        RFA - 1

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
        • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
        Jun. 16, 2023 at 10:56 a.m.
        Go Jets Go
        Any PLD trade where the Jets are bringing back Byfield is a MAJOR WIN! Gotta think it would be hard for LA to let him go but if they're willing, Jets need to pull the trigger ASAP.
        Jets33 and njlaforte liked this.
        Jun. 16, 2023 at 10:59 a.m.
        LA has a lot of nice pieces in positions the Jets need. You'd have to imagine the Jets need to take back some cap to make it work like Arvidsson and/or Iafallo for example. Plus if they're bringing in PLD then likely one of Byfield or Vallardi could become available as PLD would be taking their spot.

It should be interesting.
        Rooney and njlaforte liked this.
        Jun. 16, 2023 at 11:02 a.m.
        With what cap space though? The Kings aren't in need of scoring, they are however in need of his size and physicality but you'd have to move Arvidsson and Iafallo just to make this work and even then you still don't have a starting goalie. I doubt Byfield is available though.

I feel this is Marc Bergevin pumping up the price for Montreal.
        OldNYIfan liked this.
        Jun. 16, 2023 at 11:10 a.m.
        Once a Kings Fan Too
        Elliotte Friedman is full of $h!t because there's virtually no combination of players Los Angeles would be willing to trade that makes the cap situation work since Winnipeg can't retain on Dubois. Dubois is going to get at least $8 million and the Kings aren't going to trade Fiala or Kempe for him, so that means BOTH Arvidsson and Iafallo would have to be in the deal. Now add Byfield or Vilardi (fat chance) and two roster slots have opened up putting LA in a $2 million hole again. So unless Winnipeg are willing to take Arvidsson, Iafallo, prospects and picks, or Rob Blake is a moron, this idea is DOA.

If Los Angeles actually had any interest in a Jet player and Friedman were an actual journalist, he'd be reporting on LA's interest in Josh Morrissey.
        tryger liked this.
        Jun. 16, 2023 at 11:12 a.m.
        If there is actually any truth to this, my views from LA's side are this:

1. Byfield and Clarke are unavailable. Full-stop. If they weren't available for Chychrun, who was a more valuable asset at a much better price for multiple years, they aren't available for a 2C that has forced his way off of multiple teams.

2. Vilardi is unlikely. The Kings have invested too much into him to turn around and deal him after he finally breaks out. It just doesn't make logical sense to me. I probably have an emotional bias, but to me that just seems like a bad message to send to players looking to play here.

3. There needs to be cap going the other way. With PLD looking for a HUGE extension, it's not just minor cap either. Arvidsson is the likely guy from LA, but it could be Trevor Moore or Alex Iafallo. Durzi is almost a certainty. And because those are actually good pieces with significant value going to a team that apparently still wants to contend for a playoff spot, I think this might end up being more of a hockey deal as opposed to a picks/futures deal. Because of that, I think the stage is set to disappoint many Jets fans.

I wouldn't be shocked if it's:

Durzi
        Arvidsson
        One of Turcotte/****emo OR a conditional pick.

That doesn't seem like a lot going to Winnipeg if youre looking to rebuild, but if they arent it solidifies a top-6 player to replace PLD, a cost-controlled PP QB who can play limited top-4 minutes, and a good prospect or pick. For a guy who doesn't want to be there and will just walk after next season anyway. We'll see.
        tryger, CF18GM and OldNYIfan liked this.
        Jun. 16, 2023 at 11:14 a.m.
        Quoting: OldNYIfan
        Elliotte Friedman is full of $h!t because there's virtually no combination of players Los Angeles would be willing to trade that makes the cap situation work since Winnipeg can't retain on Dubois. Dubois is going to get at least $8 million and the Kings aren't going to trade Fiala or Kempe for him, so that means BOTH Arvidsson and Iafallo would have to be in the deal. Now add Byfield or Vilardi (fat chance) and two roster slots have opened up putting LA in a $2 million hole again. So unless Winnipeg are willing to take Arvidsson, Iafallo, prospects and picks, or Rob Blake is a moron, this idea is DOA.

If Los Angeles actually had any interest in a Jet player and Friedman were an actual journalist, he'd be reporting on LA's interest in Josh Morrissey.

Also, LA seems pretty focused on the 2-way forward route, not sure PLD would fit the defensive forward style our centers play. Not saying it's impossible, just this looks like Blake letting PLD (and the league know) he's serious about getting to the next level. Even if they do nothing this off-season, if the rumors of PLD seeing LA as a prefered destination they have to kick the tires.
        OldNYIfan liked this.
        Jun. 16, 2023 at 11:32 a.m.
        I post sometimes
        Quoting: tryger
        With what cap space though? The Kings aren't in need of scoring, they are however in need of his size and physicality but you'd have to move Arvidsson and Iafallo just to make this work and even then you still don't have a starting goalie. I doubt Byfield is available though.

I feel this is Marc Bergevin pumping up the price for Montreal.

Maybe it's a 3-way trade brewing - It could be MB trying to get his favourite Edmundson and Anderson from MTL - You are saying you need size and physicality and you need to shed cap... Habs have both.

I don't have the computing power this morning to figure it out - however I wouldn't discard the possibility ( PLD, a retained Anderson and edmundson, ****on of cap space in MTL, prospects and picks in the mix could make something interrresting for all parties involved.
        Jun. 16, 2023 at 11:40 a.m.
        Quoting: MTLaveragefan
        Maybe it's a 3-way trade brewing - It could be MB trying to get his favourite Edmundson and Anderson from MTL - You are saying you need size and physicality and you need to shed cap... Habs have both.

I don't have the computing power this morning to figure it out - however I wouldn't discard the possibility ( PLD, a retained Anderson and edmundson, ****on of cap space in MTL, prospects and picks in the mix could make something interrresting for all parties involved.

Our focus to be competitive is in this order (1) goal (2) size/physicality (3) playoff experience.

Edmundson is barely worth the contract minimum, Edler would be a better reup at the salary minimum. LA would need to move one of Iafallo or Moore with Arvidsonn, and Vilardi just to clear the cap space to get PLD, and even then they won't have much to address goal.
        OldNYIfan liked this.
        Jun. 16, 2023 at 11:43 a.m.
        I post sometimes
        Our focus to be competitive is in this order (1) goal (2) size/physicality (3) playoff experience.

Edmundson is barely worth the contract minimum, Edler would be a better reup at the salary minimum. LA would need to move one of Iafallo or Moore with Arvidsonn, and Vilardi just to clear the cap space to get PLD, and even then they won't have much to address goal.

Iafallo for Eddy (at 1.7M$) and a 3rd. He's got all the size/physicality and playoff experience you need. And he's loved by Marc Bergvin.
        Jun. 16, 2023 at 11:46 a.m.
        Iafallo for Eddy (at 1.7M$) and a 3rd. He's got all the size/physicality and playoff experience you need. And he's loved by Marc Bergvin.

He was your worst defenseman on a team of rookies of a tanking team. It's a waste of capspace.
        OldNYIfan liked this.
        Jun. 16, 2023 at 11:49 a.m.

Lol, you forgot the 1st round pick going to LA. 2023 or 2024, your choice.
        OldNYIfan liked this.
        Jun. 16, 2023 at 12:07 p.m.
        I post sometimes
        He was your worst defenseman on a team of rookies of a tanking team. It's a waste of capspace.

Quoting: PuckLuck_77
        Lol, you forgot the 1st round pick going to LA. 2023 or 2024, your choice.

I disagree but Ok, you do you.

You guys are funny - Iafallo is now worth a first round pick +++. Cool story bro.
        Jun. 16, 2023 at 12:11 p.m.
        WPGSK
        Brisson and LAK's management are good friends and LAK does need a LT replacement for THE MAN - KOPITAR. PLD would definitely help out big time and he would fit in well in LAK with some help learning to play a Full Time 200' game.

WPG should target young CDN players that would be open to signing LT and playing in Canada.

Byfield is the obvious choice with Durzi, Korpisalo and Vilardi being great choices as well.

Obviously we want a WIN WIN so LAK goes onto another Cup and WPG rebuilds. So, maybe it's WPG getting some prospects instead. Something like... Jordan Spence, Alex Turcotte, Akil Thomas, Samuel ****emo, etc...?
        tsyls liked this.
        Jun. 16, 2023 at 12:15 p.m.

You guys are funny - Iafallo is now worth a first round pick +++. Cool story bro.

Iafallo has always been worth a 1st round pick+. Definitely not the 5OA, but a mid-round 1st is about his value. My tongue in cheek comment was simply in response to the massive undervalue of your "offer".
        OldNYIfan liked this.
        Jun. 16, 2023 at 12:33 p.m.

You thought Edmundson was good last season? Honestly? Not injury-prone? Not showing signs of regressing?

He had 71 giveaways last season, Kovacevic had more (90) but somehow was a +3 to Edmundson who was -29 (worst on the team, Guhle second worst had -19). He can block shots and play with some edge, but the positives don't overcome him being a liability on the ice.
        OldNYIfan liked this.
        Jun. 16, 2023 at 12:55 p.m.
        New GM
        PLD trade is not happening. Blake kicked the tires just to give the press something to write about.
        OldNYIfan and tryger liked this.
        Jun. 16, 2023 at 1:02 p.m.
        You have inside knowledge of this? Read on the Athletic that Blake is pretty serious and has done a little more than kicked the tires.
        DumplingAndChase liked this.
        Jun. 16, 2023 at 5:59 p.m.
        Quoting: OldNYIfan

Lol biased Kings fan is triggered by trade proposal. The Jets would absolutely consider your idea of Arvidsson, Iafallo, and futures. They wouldn't consider moving on from their only good defenseman, however.
        Jun. 16, 2023 at 6:02 p.m.
        Quoting: PuckLuck_77
        If there is actually any truth to this, my views from LA's side are this:

1. Byfield and Clarke are unavailable. Full-stop. If they weren't available for Chychrun, who was a more valuable asset at a much better price for multiple years, they aren't available for a 2C that has forced his way off of multiple teams.

2. Vilardi is unlikely. The Kings have invested too much into him to turn around and deal him after he finally breaks out. It just doesn't make logical sense to me. I probably have an emotional bias, but to me that just seems like a bad message to send to players looking to play here.

3. There needs to be cap going the other way. With PLD looking for a HUGE extension, it's not just minor cap either. Arvidsson is the likely guy from LA, but it could be Trevor Moore or Alex Iafallo. Durzi is almost a certainty. And because those are actually good pieces with significant value going to a team that apparently still wants to contend for a playoff spot, I think this might end up being more of a hockey deal as opposed to a picks/futures deal. Because of that, I think the stage is set to disappoint many Jets fans.

I wouldn't be shocked if it's:

Durzi
        Arvidsson
        One of Turcotte/****emo OR a conditional pick.

That doesn't seem like a lot going to Winnipeg if youre looking to rebuild, but if they arent it solidifies a top-6 player to replace PLD, a cost-controlled PP QB who can play limited top-4 minutes, and a good prospect or pick. For a guy who doesn't want to be there and will just walk after next season anyway. We'll see.

Winnipeg claims to want to make hockey trades. They say it's not a rebuild. The trade makes a lot of sense if we believe that.

To create a post please Login or Register
        Question:
        Options:
        Add Option
        Submit Poll