SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/NHL

2023 NHL Offseason Discussion Thread #4 - The quiet period

Sep. 23, 2023 at 7:44 p.m.
Amirov Forever
Quoting: Canesfan21_
Why the heck did Ottawa give Joseph that contract? Because he looked great for like 10 games after the trade? They’re about to give up a first to get rid of him so they can sign Pinto lmao

Not sure, but a smart team will pick him (and a 1st round pick) up and reap the benefits. I think he could do really well on a team like Carolina.
Sep. 23, 2023 at 8:57 p.m.
Quoting: NorthernLeafsFan05
Not sure, but a smart team will pick him (and a 1st round pick) up and reap the benefits. I think he could do really well on a team like Carolina.

Chicago would make tons of sense
Sep. 24, 2023 at 8:08 a.m.
Quoting: Canesfan21_
Why the heck did Ottawa give Joseph that contract? Because he looked great for like 10 games after the trade? They’re about to give up a first to get rid of him so they can sign Pinto lmao

Because Joseph is still a decent player, he’s overpaid by like 500k to a mil, it’s not a horrid deal, but the Sens being cap strapped make it seem worse than it is
zk97, Saskleaf and pinslack liked this.
Sep. 24, 2023 at 5:43 p.m.
Quoting: A_Habs_fan
Because Joseph is still a decent player, he’s overpaid by like 500k to a mil, it’s not a horrid deal, but the Sens being cap strapped make it seem worse than it is

I like him and think he's a bounce-back candidate, but that contract gives him almost 10 million real dollars committed over three years. He had three goals in 56 games last year. The contract is worse than you're passing off. No-one wants to gamble with that much cap, salary, and term.

I think they'll keep him at least another year and move a defenseman to clear cap, and hope Joseph is easier to move with less term and a solid year. It isn't likely to be harder to move him next year than it is right now.
Sep. 24, 2023 at 5:44 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Edited Sep. 24, 2023 at 5:52 p.m.
Got a question for yall. Would you give Willy 10m if you already had 3 other players in double digits (So making 10m+) or would you try and trade him/let him walk if he would not budge from his ask.
Sep. 24, 2023 at 6:21 p.m.
Quoting: aadoyle
Got a question for yall. Would you give Willy 10m if you already had 3 other players in double digits (So making 10m+) or would you try and trade him/let him walk if he would not budge from his ask.

I would try him at center again to attempt to maximize his value before trading him...
aadoyle liked this.
Sep. 24, 2023 at 7:14 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Quoting: Pompadour_de_Armstrong
I would try him at center again to attempt to maximize his value before trading him...

To me if he does well at Center thats how you could justify him at 10m

At the same time would it be with his current team idk

Having 4 guys in 10m + range seems like a not great idea

All depends on the season and playoffs this coming season

Results will seal the deal on what happens
Sep. 24, 2023 at 8:17 p.m.
The Usual Suspects
Quoting: Db1899
Lol if you think that most pictures on a 20 YO camera roll go on social media you’re out of touch - coaches shouldn’t have access to a players texts/camera roll. You think the government should have cameras in our homes too?

Seems like a personal problem with you. There’s a reason why a ton of NHL players go on spitten chiclets and why Bissonette is the face of TNT and many other brands

Glad to be out of touch, then. Not that you’re exactly dialed in; Bissonnette might be big in your little pond but isn’t the “face” of anything mainstream.

Not clear why you think it is a personal problem for me, as I have zero stake in this. Sure, I have my own opinion on how I would construct a team (or any business with multiple employees). And taking what you report at face value, some (many) 20-year-olds retain pictures…but not for the purpose of sharing. Thus their implied incriminatory value far outweighs any utility. I would intensely scrutinize this decision-making process, and through a wealth of life experiences feel quite certain that decision-making in one aspect of life bleeds over to all aspects of life. So yeah, personally, I would not desire to build an organization around poor decision makers.
Sep. 24, 2023 at 11:59 p.m.

100% I would; if they go get a top RD and Goalie in UFA next year (or at TDL) and stop spending money on more wingers.

Nylander is one of their best playoff performers and the team would look hollow if he left.

Next year's UFA class is looking pretty thin at C and RW (which is why Nylander can drive up his price). How do they even come close to plug that hole? Sam Reinhart is the only one under 30 that is close and he'll probably want $8 mil + at least. Sure they can spend big on 40-year old Pavelski, 34-year old Stamkos, or maybe 30-year old Chandler Stephenson; but no way those guys can deliver an appreciable greater chance at the cup than Nylander.

None of the Leafs forward prospects are going to be close to NHL top-6 in the next 2 seasons (outside of Knies, of course).

They already will have other major roster holes at RD to fill with Brodie and Klingberg UFA; Samsonov in Net; Giordano (leadership); and decisions on Bertuzzi/Domi to re-up and all that with Marner/Tavares contracts up the following year.

Liljegren will be RFA so will probably get a couple million $ raise.

If the Leafs want to compete in their Matthews window it's not Nylander that needs to go.

They could offer him $10 mil AAV range and still could offer $6 million each to a RD (Pesce?) and a Goalie (If not Samsonov then maybe Hellebuyck?) and about $3-4 million for a 2nd line RW.

But that would require having the discipline to not extend Bertuzzi/Domi/Brodie/Klingberg (short-term pain for long-term gain).

The following year the Leafs would have the cap increase ($5 million or more) and Marner and Tavares' contracts up and then they can deal with the 2 high-dollar UFA's that REALLY are the cause of the cap-crunch/playoff pushover issue that the Leafs have.
Sep. 25, 2023 at 10:35 a.m.
cautious optimism
Some brief notes about yesterday, starting with the matinee in Pittsburgh:

- Dmitri Voronkov's physicality is a great asset. I kinda wanna see a grit line of Vronk - Boone - Olivier at some point this season.

- Tim Berni looked bad out there. If he's still holding out for more money, then he's likely not getting it.

- Boqvist is stll Boqvist: his own-zone work is still suspect.

- I can confidently say Jiricek is still not NHL ready. He'll have to ball out in Cleveland again this year. I have a lot of faith in him.

Now, the evening game at home:

- Great to see Big Z and Tex back on the ice. Both of them had solid games, although we could see some improvement from Zach on the PP.

- Elvis had an up-and-down game. He's still scrambling/flailing and letting in softies, which sets some alarms off, but at the same time he's now making saves that last year's Elvis wasn't making. I hope it's just offseason rust.

- Jordan Dumais looks set for a big year in Cleveland. Good on him for ending it with authority.

I'm excited for tomorrow against St. Louis.
NorthernLeafsFan05 and Tintin liked this.
Sep. 26, 2023 at 10:26 a.m.
WentWughes
Joel Edmundson won’t skate today and is out with an upper body injury that he sustained during Sunday’s scrimmage. The Dman is meeting with the medical team today to determine the severity of the injury.

Feel so bad for Edmundson and hopefully it's something minor, but I'm so glad we traded him before this and actually got value.
Sep. 26, 2023 at 3:08 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Anyone see the new CGY and EDM Battle of Alberta jerseys

Man how do you **** up a Jersey design that bad

Calgary's isnt to bad but it looks more like a warm up jersey

EDM base design for it is fine but the logo in the middle is what ruins it
Sep. 26, 2023 at 3:29 p.m.

I’d keep him if he were worth 10 mil I don’t think 40 goals is worth it like pasta had 60 and is making 11.5, there’s centres that make less and scored more like point and Thompson, he doesn’t play pk, he’s demoted to third line sometimes, his lines are usually below .5 in GF% with primarily offensive zone starts, the matthews line always gets the toughest match ups, it’s a case of putting a star player lower in the lineup to give him more breathing room but he takes it and runs with it and now wants to get paid like he was on the top line. Keefe/Tre are doing the right thing here putting him at center you want 10 mil go back check, be the first one in your own zone, his offensive output will dip cause it has to
Sep. 26, 2023 at 3:57 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Quoting: GarthBrooks
I’d keep him if he were worth 10 mil I don’t think 40 goals is worth it like pasta had 60 and is making 11.5, there’s centres that make less and scored more like point and Thompson, he doesn’t play pk, he’s demoted to third line sometimes, his lines are usually below .5 in GF% with primarily offensive zone starts, the matthews line always gets the toughest match ups, it’s a case of putting a star player lower in the lineup to give him more breathing room but he takes it and runs with it and now wants to get paid like he was on the top line. Keefe/Tre are doing the right thing here putting him at center you want 10 mil go back check, be the first one in your own zone, his offensive output will dip cause it has to

To me its this for Willy

He is good but the 10m ask is to much considering many good RW are making 8.8-9.5m. I would be fine with 9m x 8 years

But at the same time we also need to consider the playoffs. If the Leafs do not go further this year what good is it to keep going with the core 4 giving them more money in the process. One could argue maybe some change needs to happen and not just to the pieces around these 4 guys as how long can we keep going with the same thing.

Its a wait and see game rn
Sep. 26, 2023 at 3:59 p.m.
Bedard23

I don’t mind the flames jerseys but what the hell are those oilers jerseys the brown gloves look even more off then the logo
Sep. 26, 2023 at 6:46 p.m.
Amirov Forever

I really like the Flames ones. They're great. The Edmonton ones on the other hand...
Sep. 26, 2023 at 7:38 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Quoting: NorthernLeafsFan05
I really like the Flames ones. They're great. The Edmonton ones on the other hand...

Flames jerseys feel like practice jerseys more so than actual jerseys. They aint bad but idk feels like teams could do better these days

Honestly more teams should partner with Artists to create these series jerseys
Sep. 27, 2023 at 1:00 p.m.
WentWughes
Jakub Pelletier out indefinitely, shoulder surgery next week.. brutal
Sep. 27, 2023 at 1:10 p.m.
WentWughes
Oh no, even worse news

Chris Snow went into cardiac arrest and doctors don't think he'll wake up. Absolutely devastating.
zk97 liked this.
Sep. 27, 2023 at 1:15 p.m.
Bedard23
Quoting: KSIxSKULLS
Jakub Pelletier out indefinitely, shoulder surgery next week.. brutal

Luckiest flames moment:
Sep. 27, 2023 at 1:18 p.m.
Bedard23
Quoting: KSIxSKULLS
Oh no, even worse news

Chris Snow went into cardiac arrest and doctors don't think he'll wake up. Absolutely devastating.

Damn the flames can’t have anything go their way
Sep. 27, 2023 at 1:24 p.m.
Amirov Forever
Terrible, terrible, terrible news out of Calgary. Hope nothing but the best for the Snow family.
Rolfadinho liked this.
Sep. 27, 2023 at 4:19 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Backlund extended pretty much at the price range I thought he would

4.5m x 2 years

Not bad.
Sep. 27, 2023 at 5:15 p.m.
Amirov Forever
Unsurprisingly, Backlunds new contract comes with captaincy. No better selection for the Flames, great stuff. He'll have been part of the Flames organization for 19 years come the end of his deal
HockeyScotty liked this.
Sep. 28, 2023 at 11:35 a.m.
Waivers start today

It's the "no way he doesn't get claim" season
zk97 and BuFfaLOFaN liked this.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll