Forums/Armchair-GM

William Nylander Trade

Created by: JustNinjaShep
Team: 2023-24 Toronto Maple Leafs
Initial Creation Date: Aug. 2, 2023
Published: Aug. 2, 2023
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
What do you all think of the Armchair GM trade proposal idea??

Don't mind the fact that the teams over the Salary Cap in this Armchair GM as there are a few solutions to that, the easiest of which is to move all the guys who I have as "Scratches" to the minors as that would make the team cap compliant.

I just wanted to keep the 3 guys as Scratches for this Armchair GM over sending them to the minors because there's different possibilities on how they could become cap compliant so I figured letting the guys be shown would be better

What's in it for the Ducks is they'd be
1. Getting the best player in the trade
2. It would be a sign & trade scenario where the Leafs let the Ducks talk to Nylander in advance about resigning & all the details of it
Trades
TOR
  1. Groulx, Benoit-Olivier
  2. Terry, Troy
Additional Details:
Groulx is an older prospect who's likely to make the NHL but is unlikely to be anything more then a Bottom 6 Forward in the league
ANA
  1. Nylander, William
Additional Details:
If Nylander continues to demand 10M+ & it's clear the Leafs won't be able to resign him this is one of the trade proposals I have.

Terry's signed to a long term extension for a reasonable cap hit of 7M x 7yr while not being that much worse than Nylander in terms of his production over the last 2 seasons. While the Ducks would be getting the best player in the trade who wants to sign a long term deal, just for a cap hit that the Leafs can't afford
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the NYI
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the OTT
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
23$83,500,000$85,606,584$0$0-$2,106,584
Left WingCentreRight Wing
Logo of the Toronto Maple Leafs
$5,500,000$5,500,000
LW, RW
NMC
UFA - 1
$11,640,250$11,640,250
C
NMC
UFA - 1
$10,903,000$10,903,000
RW
NMC
UFA - 2
$2,100,000$2,100,000
RW, C, LW
M-NTC
UFA - 3
$11,000,000$11,000,000
C, LW
NMC
UFA - 2
Logo of the Anaheim Ducks
$7,000,000$7,000,000
RW
UFA - 7
$925,000$925,000
LW, RW
RFA - 2
$3,000,000$3,000,000
C, RW
M-NTC
UFA - 1
$1,350,000$1,350,000
RW
UFA - 3
$796,667$796,667
LW, RW
RFA - 1
$2,400,000$2,400,000
C
M-NTC
UFA - 4
$1,150,000$1,150,000
RW, C, LW
UFA - 1
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$7,500,000$7,500,000
LD
NMC
UFA - 7
$5,000,000$5,000,000
LD/RD
M-NTC
UFA - 1
$3,550,000$3,550,000
G
UFA - 1
$2,000,000$2,000,000
LD/RD
M-NTC
UFA - 2
$4,150,000$4,150,000
RD
M-NTC
UFA - 1
$766,667$766,667
G
RFA - 2
$800,000$800,000
LD
UFA - 1
$1,400,000$1,400,000
RD
RFA - 1
ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
$1,100,000$1,100,000
RD
RFA - 2
$5,625,000$5,625,000
LD
M-NTC
UFA - 1
$800,000$800,000
C, LW
RFA - 2
$4,687,500$4,687,500
G
M-NTC
UFA - 1
Logo of the Anaheim Ducks
$775,000$775,000
C
RFA - 1

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Aug. 2, 2023 at 9:01 p.m.
mokumboi
Why on Earth would Anaheim ever do this? And if they would, why are they adding?
OldNYIfan and TJTwolf liked this.
Aug. 2, 2023 at 9:02 p.m.
Nobody is giving up a player who is locked up long term for nylander at this point. Especially if they are younger like terry.
Aug. 2, 2023 at 9:02 p.m.
Troy Terry (signed) @ $7Mx7 > Nylander(unsigned) @ $10M +

In this scenario, I can't see why Nylander would even do a sign and trade.
LosPatos, OldNYIfan and TJTwolf liked this.
Aug. 2, 2023 at 9:28 p.m.
This would be a Sign & Trade scenario where the Leafs would let the Ducks talk to Nylander & get an extension worked out

The reason the Ducks would take the trade is because they're getting the best player available, they'd get an extension worked out with Nylander & while yes the Ducks aren't currently competing Nylander is 27 so he's got plenty of prime years likely remaining
Aug. 2, 2023 at 9:32 p.m.
Prime Primeau
Terry = Nylander, but Nylander is older and he will be more expensive. AND ANAHEIM HAVE TO ADD. RIDICULOUS. Such a leaf fan trade
LosPatos, OldNYIfan and TJTwolf liked this.
Aug. 2, 2023 at 9:56 p.m.
Quoting: GuyGuyGuy
Terry = Nylander, but Nylander is older and he will be more expensive. AND ANAHEIM HAVE TO ADD. RIDICULOUS. Such a leaf fan trade

Terry = Nylander in the same way you are equal to an actual NHL GM 😂. That is to say … neither are remotely equal. Nylander just put up 40/87 compared to Terry’s 23/61. He is younger but who cares (Willy is only 27) & cheaper because he’s nowhere near as good. Leafs don’t make this trade because they want to win now and you don’t do that - generally - by downgrading your players. Ducks may have valid reasons for not making this trade but one is absolutely not that Terry = Nylander; good grief that is a woeful take 🤦🏻
Aug. 2, 2023 at 9:57 p.m.
Quoting: JustNinjaShep

The reason the Ducks would take the trade is because they're getting the best player available

Pat Verbeek on the Troy Terry extension: "We are very pleased to be able to come to an agreement. Troy is a major part of our team as a character player and leader, and we look forward to seeing him continue his ascent to being one of the league's top players."

Toronto can keep Nylander, his salary demands and his PITA negotiating style. That last isn't a knock on WN... a guy has every right to get his. But that doesn't mean I want him on my team doing it.
OldNYIfan, mokumboi and TJTwolf liked this.
Aug. 2, 2023 at 10:01 p.m.
Prime Primeau
Quoting: MitchJr
Terry = Nylander in the same way you are equal to an actual NHL GM 😂. That is to say … neither are remotely equal. Nylander just put up 40/87 compared to Terry’s 23/61. He is younger but who cares (Willy is only 27) & cheaper because he’s nowhere near as good. Leafs don’t make this trade because they want to win now and you don’t do that - generally - by downgrading your players. Ducks may have valid reasons for not making this trade but one is absolutely not that Terry = Nylander; good grief that is a woeful take 🤦🏻

61 in 70 while playing with Zegras on the worst team in the league is much more impressive than 87 in 82 while playing with Matthews, Marner and Tavares on a good team. Terry = Nylander but Terry will be 3m cheaper. Easy decision
Aug. 2, 2023 at 10:08 p.m.
Quoting: GuyGuyGuy
61 in 70 while playing with Zegras on the worst team in the league is much more impressive than 87 in 82 while playing with Matthews, Marner and Tavares on a good team. Terry = Nylander but Terry will be 3m cheaper. Easy decision

I love your logic (errr illogic) - great players on good teams are only good but good players on bad teams are actually great. So the ducks and habs actually have great players but still suck and the Leafs and Oilers or Avs or Devils only have good players but finish top 5. Do I have that right? #ridiculous
Aug. 2, 2023 at 10:11 p.m.
My goodness this is ridiculous. Extend the most likely candidate for the captaincy 7 more years and openly announce he’s a major building block for your team. Then immediately trade him while in a rebuild for an older player with 1 year left on his deal. Please stop

All that aside, I’d legit rather have Terry’s production at $7M than Nylander at $10M+. Does Nylander outproduce him? Absolutely. But Terry’s done it on a glorified AHL team, costs 70% the price, and is younger. Pass on all counts
LosPatos, OldNYIfan, mokumboi and 1 other person liked this.
Aug. 2, 2023 at 10:11 p.m.
LosPatos
Not a chance.
Aug. 2, 2023 at 10:18 p.m.
Future Ducks legend
Edited Aug. 2, 2023 at 10:23 p.m.
Yes, Nylander is the better player.

No, Nylander is not 3 million better than Terry.

We have the warchest to win the bid for Nylander as a UFA, and $10mil is UFA money, then we have both Terry and Nylander, plus we kept BOG, and I fully expect we will chase him as a UFA. We're weak at RW in general, and he would round out our top 6 nicely.

Carlsson-McTavish-Nylander
Killorn-Zegras-Terry

So the answer is no, Anaheim wouldn't do this, and that's before we even begin to talk about the kind of damage a GM takes when he trades away a player he just locked up to term.

But we get it, we got an all-star player in his prime to sign a team friendly deal allowing Anaheim to flush out a complete roster, that's not something Toronto has gotten to experience in quite some time (honestly no idea who the most recent one was)
OldNYIfan, mokumboi and TJTwolf liked this.
Aug. 2, 2023 at 10:19 p.m.
Quoting: Jded
My goodness this is ridiculous. Extend the most likely candidate for the captaincy 7 more years and openly announce he’s a major building block for your team. Then immediately trade him while in a rebuild for an older player with 1 year left on his deal. Please stop

All that aside, I’d legit rather have Terry’s production at $7M than Nylander at $10M+. Does Nylander outproduce him? Absolutely. But Terry’s done it on a glorified AHL team, costs 70% the price, and is younger. Pass on all counts

You guys are the best 😂. Turn down the trade all you want - who really cares - but arguing terry is better than nylander despite the mountains of objective data that proves otherwise - weak. And arguing that because your team is terrible that your players are somehow better - perverse.
JustNinjaShep liked this.
Aug. 2, 2023 at 10:21 p.m.
Future Ducks legend
You guys are the best 😂. Turn down the trade all you want - who really cares - but arguing terry is better than nylander despite the mountains of objective data that proves otherwise - weak. And arguing that because your team is terrible that your players are somehow better - perverse.

He's not, he's saying that Terry is a better value, and that's true.
OldNYIfan, TJTwolf, JustNinjaShep and 1 other person liked this.
Aug. 2, 2023 at 10:25 p.m.
Once a Kings Fan Too

The blind homerism is touching.

When you get more experience, and start to develop some sophistication, you'll begin to learn the difference between production and value.
TJTwolf liked this.
Aug. 2, 2023 at 10:26 p.m.
mokumboi

Exactly no one argued that. What are you on about?
TJTwolf and OldNYIfan liked this.
Aug. 2, 2023 at 10:34 p.m.
Quoting: GiggywithGibby
He's not, he's saying that Terry is a better value, and that's true.

Agree to disagree then. He also said nylander at $10M when no one knows the deal he’ll sign so … pure conjecture. I’d still take nylander’s 40 (or 74 past two years) over Terry’s 23 (or 60 past two years) at $9.25M (likely deal) vs $7M. Nylander is superior at numerous aspects of the game - creates more chances, exits and enters the zone with puck control. Just because a player’s aav is lower does not mean superior value. Nylander is by far the better player but 🤷🏻 it’s just a proposal and it will never happen.
I also don’t see Willy signing with ducks (or any rebuilding team); he’ll extend with the leafs but who knows
Aug. 2, 2023 at 10:36 p.m.
Quoting: OldNYIfan
The blind homerism is touching.

When you get more experience, and start to develop some sophistication, you'll begin to learn the difference between production and value.

I sit at the feet of the master, what a crock 😂. I understand value, but I guess I care more about productivity. Nylander is demonstrably much better than terry. Paying him $2-3M more per year is fine given the wide disparity in ability.
Aug. 2, 2023 at 10:44 p.m.
Yes, Nylander is the better player.

No, Nylander is not 3 million better than Terry.

We have the warchest to win the bid for Nylander as a UFA, and $10mil is UFA money, then we have both Terry and Nylander, plus we kept BOG, and I fully expect we will chase him as a UFA. We're weak at RW in general, and he would round out our top 6 nicely.

Carlsson-McTavish-Nylander
Killorn-Zegras-Terry

So the answer is no, Anaheim wouldn't do this, and that's before we even begin to talk about the kind of damage a GM takes when he trades away a player he just locked up to term.

But we get it, we got an all-star player in his prime to sign a team friendly deal allowing Anaheim to flush out a complete roster, that's not something Toronto has gotten to experience in quite some time (honestly no idea who the most recent one was)

Btw - I might be an all star on that ducks team 😂. Can’t have it both ways - he plays on an ahl team but he’s an all star 😅. He’s an all star because every team has to send someone …
Aug. 2, 2023 at 10:45 p.m.
Future Ducks legend
I sit at the feet of the master, what a crock 😂. I understand value, but I guess I care more about productivity. Nylander is demonstrably much better than terry. Paying him $2-3M more per year is fine given the wide disparity in ability.

You're the kinds of leafs fan that makes watching every leafs post season exit so rewarding. And before you try and clap back about "at least we go to the post season" the leafs haven't won a cup in your lifetime, the Ducks have won a cup in mine.
Aug. 2, 2023 at 10:47 p.m.
You're the kinds of leafs fan that makes watching every leafs post season exit so rewarding. And before you try and clap back about "at least we go to the post season" the leafs haven't won a cup in your lifetime, the Ducks have won a cup in mine.

Facts can be difficult when you live in dreamland I guess
Aug. 2, 2023 at 11:02 p.m.
Quoting: mokumboi
Exactly no one argued that. What are you on about?

Bud - did you read the posts at start of thread? That’s exactly what was argued…
Aug. 2, 2023 at 11:05 p.m.
mokumboi
Quoting: MitchMafia
Bud - did you read the posts at start of thread? That’s exactly what was argued…

Where? Nobody said any such thing. Your reading comprehension needs a tune-up, bud.
Aug. 3, 2023 at 1:06 a.m.
Future Ducks legend
Quoting: mokumboi
Where? Nobody said any such thing. Your reading comprehension needs a tune-up, bud.

He's clearly got no intention of fixing his argument and/or his reading comprehension. Just toss his username onto the ignore list and be done with it.
Aug. 3, 2023 at 2:57 a.m.

Did I say Terry was better? Pretty sure I said Nylander “absolutely” outproduces Terry

My second comment was that if you’re comparing basic stats like goals and assists, it’s not apples to apples if the teammates aren’t (obviously). Terry put up 60 goals with terrible linemates the last 2 years. I think we can both agree those figures would be higher if he was playing with the likes of Matthews, Marner, Tavares etc. would you not agree?
TJTwolf, OldNYIfan and mokumboi liked this.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll