Forums/Armchair-GM

Short term retool

Created by: justaBoss
Team: 2023-24 Boston Bruins
Initial Creation Date: Aug. 8, 2023
Published: Aug. 9, 2023
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
With Bergeron and Krejci retiring, I think BOS is in a pickle. They simply cannot truly compete without a proper 1C, and they lack picks for all first three rounds of the 2024 draft.

My idea is this - recoup some future assets with pending UFAs they get along the season and, while it sounds kinda weird, try to fall into the bottom-10, cuz that way the condition on the Bertuzzi trade of last years come to play and BOS receive their 2024 1st back, losing the 2025 1st away.

In 2024 offseason, BOS can try target a proper C again, such as Lindholm or Scheifele - or even Matthews if some things go crazy.

This ACGM considers them taking the stance similar to the one they had 10 years ago, when they recouped 3 first round picks for one year and started competing immediately after a very short term retool.
Trades
BOS
  1. 2024 1st round pick (BOS)
DET
  1. 2025 1st round pick (BOS)
Additional Details:
Bertuzzi trade conditions
BOS
  1. Arvidsson, Viktor
  2. Copley, Pheonix
  3. Turcotte, Alex
  4. 2025 1st round pick (LAK)
Additional Details:
In exchange for the reigning Vezina winner, BOS receives a scoring forward they turn into futures, a tandem goalie for Swayman, and a prospect whose development haven't been that successful, but who still has a pretty high ceiling, as well as a later first rounder.
LAK
  1. Ullmark, Linus
  2. van Riemsdyk, James
Additional Details:
Probably going to be a deadline deal. I don't see for the life of me Kings running a serious playoff challenge with their current tandem, but Ullmark would be a great addition there. Also has one more year left on his contract after this one, so it's not only a one year attempt at the cup. LA also receives a depth forward in the trade.
BOS
  1. Määttä, Olli
  2. 2024 2nd round pick (DET)
  3. 2025 3rd round pick (DET)
DET
  1. Arvidsson, Viktor
  2. Shattenkirk, Kevin
Additional Details:
After acquiring Arvidsson in the Ullmark trade, they quickly decide to shift him into future assets. I'd wager a team in the playoff race would be interested in adding a scoring winger to their team, and DET loves Swedes - I could see a fit here. DET also adds an offensive veteran D-man to boot. In exchange, BOS eats some cap in the form of Määttä, and gets two picks.
BOS
  1. Jones, Zachary
  2. 2024 2nd round pick (NYR)
NYR
  1. DeBrusk, Jake ($2,000,000 retained)
Additional Details:
I'd wager Boston will be looking a similar package for DeBrusk they themselves paid for Bertuzzi last year, namely a package worth a 1st round pick. In this case, they opt for a good prospect and a 2nd rounder. I think NYR would be interested in adding DeBrusk half-retained, considering how much they invested for wingers last deadline.
BOS
  1. 2024 2nd round pick (FLA)
Additional Details:
Conditional pick - lowest of the 2nd rounders ARI owns in 2024.
ARI
  1. Grzelcyk, Matt
Additional Details:
I'd wager this trade happens earlier in the season, where BOS first starts dropping assets in order to gradually retool their team. ARI could use a left shot D-man themselves, so I don't think there would be too much problems in these two teams finding a common ground in finding a deal. D for a pick.
BOS
  1. Foote, Nolan
  2. 2024 6th round pick (NJD)
NJD
  1. Forbort, Derek ($1,500,000 retained)
Additional Details:
One of the late season acquisitions for a contending team, they add a penalty killer with decent record under him. In exchange, BOS receive a prospect and a late pick.
BOS
  1. 2025 5th round pick (COL)
COL
  1. Zboril, Jakub
Additional Details:
A good team opts on acquiring a depth D man. Team doesn't necessarily matter, just trading a depth guy for a late pick.
Buyouts
Retained Salary Transactions
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the BOS
Logo of the DET
Logo of the NYR
Logo of the FLA
Logo of the BOS
Logo of the BOS
Logo of the BOS
Logo of the NJD
Logo of the LAK
Logo of the BOS
Logo of the DET
Logo of the BOS
Logo of the COL
Logo of the BOS
Logo of the BOS
Logo of the BOS
Logo of the BOS
Logo of the BOS
Logo of the BOS
Logo of the BOS
Logo of the BOS
Logo of the BOS
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
22$83,500,000$76,328,334$4,500,000$2,050,000$7,171,666
Left WingCentreRight Wing
Logo of the Boston Bruins
$6,125,000$6,125,000
LW
M-NTC
UFA - 2
Logo of the Los Angeles Kings
$894,167$894,167 (Performance Bonus$1,550,000$2M)
C
RFA - 1
$2,000,000$2,000,000
C, RW
RFA - 2
$775,000$775,000
C, LW
RFA - 1
$4,750,000$4,750,000
C, LW
M-NTC
UFA - 4
$11,250,000$11,250,000
RW
NMC
UFA - 8
Logo of the New Jersey Devils
$863,333$863,333
LW
RFA - 1
$5,250,000$5,250,000
C, RW
M-NTC, NMC
UFA - 3
$2,300,000$2,300,000
LW, RW
UFA - 2
$1,000,000$1,000,000 (Performance Bonus$500,000$500K)
LW, RW
NMC
UFA - 1
$800,000$800,000
C, RW
UFA - 2
$762,500$762,500
RW, LW
UFA - 1
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$6,500,000$6,500,000
LD
NTC, NMC
UFA - 7
$9,500,000$9,500,000
RD
UFA - 7
$3,475,000$3,475,000
G
RFA - 1
Logo of the New York Rangers
$812,500$812,500
LD
RFA - 2
$4,100,000$4,100,000
RD
M-NTC
UFA - 4
Logo of the Los Angeles Kings
$1,500,000$1,500,000
G
UFA - 1
Logo of the Detroit Red Wings
$3,000,000$3,000,000
LD
UFA - 2
$775,000$775,000
RD
RFA - 1
ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
$787,500$787,500
LW, RW
RFA - 2
$775,000$775,000
LD
UFA - 1

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Aug. 9, 2023 at 11:05 a.m.
Too much for Ullmark, we’ll wait and see who is a seller and go for another Korpisalo type player if Talbot can’t get it done.
aedoran liked this.
Aug. 9, 2023 at 11:08 a.m.
Joe
Can't see why Detroit would want to buy some rentals.
aedoran liked this.
Aug. 9, 2023 at 11:10 a.m.
What in tarnation
Quoting: JoeROFLCOPTER
Can't see why Detroit would want to buy some rentals.

Playoff strengthening, if they are in the playoff race.
aedoran liked this.
Aug. 9, 2023 at 11:10 a.m.
Joe
Quoting: justaBoss
Playoff strengthening, if they are in the playoff race.

Ah playoffs! Yeah, we ain't gotta worry about that.
aedoran and dannibalcorpse liked this.
Aug. 9, 2023 at 11:11 a.m.
What in tarnation
Quoting: tryger
Too much for Ullmark, we’ll wait and see who is a seller and go for another Korpisalo type player if Talbot can’t get it done.

Can't understand the logic here personally, they've been lacking a true goalie since Quick fell off a cliff. Why opt for continuous stopgap options?
aedoran, mikearky, Gofnut999 and 1 other person liked this.
Aug. 9, 2023 at 11:32 a.m.
Yzerman just extended Maatta so unless it's a can'r pass up offer I don't see Yzerman trading him before the season starts.

So you don't see Boston making the playoffs?
Aug. 9, 2023 at 11:34 a.m.
What in tarnation
Quoting: aedoran
Yzerman just extended Maatta so unless it's a can'r pass up offer I don't see Yzerman trading him before the season starts.

So you don't see Boston making the playoffs?

Not with the center situation they got.
mikearky and aedoran liked this.
Aug. 9, 2023 at 11:42 a.m.
MisstheWhalers
Unless Byfield takes a decent step forward this season I'm not sure LA really has the depth to lose Arvidsson and without moving an Arvi or a collection of smaller cap hits like Grundstrom, Liotta, etc (which also erodes their depth) it'd probably be pretty tough for them to fit Ullmark, do agree though that LA needs to upgrade their goaltending, what a confusing offseason they had. There probably is a deal to be had between the B's and LA but it needs some reworking imo.

I don't think thats a move that interests Detroit at all, they really like Maata and Debrusk might be worth a bit more then that.
Arizona can use all the D upgrades they can get but not sure they're parting with 2nds for UFAs just yet. Guess the Forbort trade could make some sense if Foote is still considered to have some upside but if not the B's probably prefer a 3rd or 4th for Forbort which they could easily get at the TDL for him.

If the Bruins did tear it down a bit they should just keep Zboril and give him a big opportunity to sink or swim, at this point I think that'd be a better course of action then grabbing another meh pick that likely amounts to nothing.
justaBoss liked this.
Aug. 9, 2023 at 11:43 a.m.
What in tarnation
Quoting: MisstheWhalers
Unless Byfield takes a decent step forward this season I'm not sure LA really has the depth to lose Arvidsson and without moving an Arvi or a collection of smaller cap hits like Grundstrom, Liotta, etc (which also erodes their depth) it'd probably be pretty tough for them to fit Ullmark, do agree though that LA needs to upgrade their goaltending, what a confusing offseason they had. There probably is a deal to be had between the B's and LA but it needs some reworking imo.

I don't think thats a move that interests Detroit at all, they really like Maata and Debrusk might be worth a bit more then that.
Arizona can use all the D upgrades they can get but not sure they're parting with 2nds for UFAs just yet. Guess the Forbort trade could make some sense if Foote is still considered to have some upside but if not the B's probably prefer a 3rd or 4th for Forbort which they could easily get at the TDL for him.

If the Bruins did tear it down a bit they should just keep Zboril and give him a big opportunity to sink or swim, at this point I think that'd be a better course of action then grabbing another meh pick that likely amounts to nothing.

All fair points here.
MisstheWhalers liked this.
Aug. 9, 2023 at 11:46 a.m.
GM
I take that in a heartbeat if I'm Drury and worry about cap compliant later. Heck I pay someone to beat up Mr 🍞 or someone else to LTIR that **** if needed. Come one bruh cool
Aug. 9, 2023 at 11:51 a.m.
Why would the Devils do this when they just resign Bahl and traded for Miller. Dont see the Devils doing this.
Aug. 9, 2023 at 11:54 a.m.
Can't understand the logic here personally, they've been lacking a true goalie since Quick fell off a cliff. Why opt for continuous stopgap options?

It's a reluctance to put too much into the position, Blake got burned badly by Cal Petersen. He saw what Vegas and the Wild did and believes he can take a no-name or a player who had an off-season or struggling to a starter.

Got to remember the Kings had a very successful goalie rehabilitation clinic with: Ben Scrivens, Martin Jones, Darcy Kuemper, Peter Budaj, Jack Campbell, and Phoenix Copley. The Kings last season were struggling with: Copley, Quick, and Petersen. They are arguably in a better position now with Copley, Talbot, Rittich and Portillo this season. If all 4 fail, then the Kings will be looking at the trade market.
Aug. 9, 2023 at 11:56 a.m.
Soggy
Value on the Rangers trade is fair. If this is taking place at the deadline though then it would have to depend on how Kakko, Wheeler and Laf have performed and injuries if RW is something they'll need to address whether the Rangers do this trade or not.
aedoran liked this.
Aug. 9, 2023 at 12:18 p.m.
What in tarnation
Quoting: TyeZerker
Why would the Devils do this when they just resign Bahl and traded for Miller. Dont see the Devils doing this.

Literally said in the trade description - to add PK help. None of their depth D-men is suited for a 3rd pair minute munching role like Forbort would be.
Aug. 9, 2023 at 12:23 p.m.
What in tarnation
Quoting: tryger
It's a reluctance to put too much into the position, Blake got burned badly by Cal Petersen. He saw what Vegas and the Wild did and believes he can take a no-name or a player who had an off-season or struggling to a starter.

Got to remember the Kings had a very successful goalie rehabilitation clinic with: Ben Scrivens, Martin Jones, Darcy Kuemper, Peter Budaj, Jack Campbell, and Phoenix Copley. The Kings last season were struggling with: Copley, Quick, and Petersen. They are arguably in a better position now with Copley, Talbot, Rittich and Portillo this season. If all 4 fail, then the Kings will be looking at the trade market.

Fwiw, since having an actual elite goalie LA has not made it past the first round of playoffs. Sure, they retooled for a while during this timeframe, but I think this approach they have taken, while it has lead to some decent individual performances, it hasn't actually taken them forward as a team.

Imo, the D would never get comfortable with the goalie behind them changing basically every season. They have brought in a plethora of mid goalies for the league, but haven't had a proper 1G for themselves long-term for almost a decade now. Ullmark would change that, as he'd be a complete change to how they've acted in the past.
Aug. 9, 2023 at 12:23 p.m.
What in tarnation
Quoting: AG_sweden
I take that in a heartbeat if I'm Drury and worry about cap compliant later. Heck I pay someone to beat up Mr 🍞 or someone else to LTIR that **** if needed. Come one bruh cool

Quoting: GoofyFoFoofy
Value on the Rangers trade is fair. If this is taking place at the deadline though then it would have to depend on how Kakko, Wheeler and Laf have performed and injuries if RW is something they'll need to address whether the Rangers do this trade or not.

To be absolutely fair I think DeBrusk might have more value than this. It feels a bit short in value...
AG_sweden liked this.
Aug. 9, 2023 at 12:44 p.m.
Exhausted Ranger Fan
NYR accepts, we’d just need to lose goodrow.
Aug. 9, 2023 at 1:07 p.m.
Fwiw, since having an actual elite goalie LA has not made it past the first round of playoffs. Sure, they retooled for a while during this timeframe, but I think this approach they have taken, while it has lead to some decent individual performances, it hasn't actually taken them forward as a team.

Imo, the D would never get comfortable with the goalie behind them changing basically every season. They have brought in a plethora of mid goalies for the league, but haven't had a proper 1G for themselves long-term for almost a decade now. Ullmark would change that, as he'd be a complete change to how they've acted in the past.

This is going to continue to be the approach I believe. You have to remember the Kings have almost no cap space for goal, and if they move an asset it will likely hurt them offensively to get the cap space to get another goalie. No matter what the first few months is trying the Talbot-Copley-Rittich experiment, and if they average around .895 we are still in better shape than last trade deadline.

You have to realize what Blake is doing. His approach to beating the Oilers and Knights is not focused on the strongest goalie but having the deeper bottom-6. If Kopitar and Danault can slow or shutdown these top-6's, Fiala, PLD, Lizotte, Kaliyev, and Grunsdstrom are a cheat code for the offense and will force top-6s to over play time and make mistakes. This worked last season as the KIngs weren't even averaging .900 goaltending at the trade deadline but held a playoff spot thanks to Fiala and Vilardi. But that means the top-9 has to stay intact or Kaliyev/Grundstrom needs to breakout as 20+ goal wingers.

If the Kings can get .900-.910 goaltending out of one of Talbot, Rittich, Copley, or Portillo, the Kings are playoff bound, the Kings actually let in the 4th least shots on goal. I don't agree with Blake's approach but he is copying the playbook from Vegas, Minnesota, and Seattle. You can go for it without certainty in net and still ice a playoff team.
Aug. 9, 2023 at 1:18 p.m.
Soggy
To be absolutely fair I think DeBrusk might have more value than this. It feels a bit short in value...

Yeah you're probably right about that lol. If a fanbase isn't upset at all about a trade proposal on this website that means you're probably not getting enough value. Being realistic though, it's hard to tell how much actual value DeBrusk would go for since there's no way of knowing what the market would look like for him. There would definitely be some demand but there's no way to know for sure how much.
justaBoss liked this.
Aug. 9, 2023 at 1:31 p.m.
LA wants nothing to do with that.

I'm not convinced that Ullmark is anything more than an average goaltender that played behind an exceptional team. I don't think he'd continue his Vezina-caliber play on the Kings.
Aug. 9, 2023 at 1:37 p.m.
GM

Yeah I agree but then again NYR got absolutely nothing for Buchnevich so 🤷

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll