Forums/Armchair-GM

Since Leafs fans are keen on trading for them

Created by: Campabee
Team: 2023-24 Montreal Canadiens
Initial Creation Date: Dec. 25, 2023
Published: Dec. 25, 2023
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
Leafs fans have been trading for these two for a few days now and everytime they are told no their argument is they are "injury prone and washed", well then why trade for them in the first place? Cause they know the fact is those are the types of players they need to make a deep rum and they are just trying to convince everyone that those players hold no value so that they can acquire them for cheap.

Well, here is the actual price it would require, don't like it, stop trading for them
Trades
MTL
  1. Minten, Fraser
  2. Villeneuve, William
  3. 2024 1st round pick (TOR)
  4. 2025 3rd round pick (TOR)
TOR
  1. Monahan, Sean
  2. Savard, David ($1,750,000 retained)
Buyouts
Retained Salary Transactions
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the COL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MIN
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the SJS
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the WSH
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the CGY
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the VAN
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the DET
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
22$83,500,000$76,058,194$1,170,000$4,252,500$7,441,806
Left WingCentreRight Wing
Logo of the Montreal Canadiens
$7,850,000$7,850,000
LW, RW
UFA - 8
$7,875,000$7,875,000
C
UFA - 7
$950,000$950,000 (Performance Bonus$3,500,000$4M)
RW, LW
RFA - 2
$897,500$897,500
LW, RW
RFA - 2
$4,450,000$4,450,000
C
M-NTC
UFA - 2
$5,500,000$5,500,000
RW, LW
M-NTC
UFA - 4
$775,000$775,000
RW, LW
RFA - 1
Logo of the Toronto Maple Leafs
$845,833$845,833
C, LW
RFA - 3
$6,500,000$6,500,000
RW, LW
M-NTC, NMC
UFA - 4
$812,500$812,500
LW, RW
UFA - 2
$1,700,000$1,700,000
C
UFA - 2
$3,400,000$3,400,000
RW, LW
UFA - 2
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$4,875,000$4,875,000
LD
M-NTC
UFA - 3
$925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$275,000$275K)
RD
RFA - 1
$1,925,000$1,925,000
G
M-NTC
UFA - 2
$863,333$863,333 (Performance Bonus$420,000$420K)
LD/RD
RFA - 2
$766,667$766,667
RD
UFA - 2
$1,000,000$1,000,000
G
UFA - 1
$867,500$867,500 (Performance Bonus$57,500$58K)
LD
RFA - 2
$950,000$950,000
RD
RFA - 1
$890,000$890,000
G
RFA - 2
ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
Logo of the Toronto Maple Leafs
$817,778$817,778
RD
RFA - 2
$3,362,500$3,362,500
C, RW
RFA - 3
$10,500,000$10,500,000
G
NMC
UFA - 3
$3,250,000$3,250,000
LW
UFA - 1
$2,900,000$2,900,000
C, LW
RFA - 4
$1,400,000$1,400,000
LD/RD
RFA - 2
$1,100,000$1,100,000
LW, RW
RFA - 2
$762,500$762,500
RD
UFA - 1

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Dec. 25, 2023 at 11:56 p.m.
Le patriote
Do as i've done : tell them it's Knies + or nothing .... they will cry hard like Palhal!!
Dec. 26, 2023 at 12:02 a.m.
Seriously?
Why would the Leafs give away their prospects?
This trade is bizarre and ridiculous.
swinny and RipNasty liked this.
Dec. 26, 2023 at 12:03 a.m.
Judd Bracket ripoff
Leafs add matthews and Marner and it’s fair
mv21227 liked this.
Dec. 26, 2023 at 12:05 a.m.
Yeah, some of us get these D have inherent value, but Minten and a 1st? Come on🤣🤣🤣

I am not opposed to moving a 1st as a Leafs fan, but it is going to be for a younger D with term..... like a Will Borgen type.

Realistically, I would move Villneuve and a 2nd (if the Leafs actually had one this decade) for Savard.... and that would be with retention.

Here is the thing about dealing with the Habs:

You have a huge glut on the right side. Don't think for a minute that is lost..... so knowing that moving Savard makes room for one of Kovacevic, or Xhekaj, or Reinbacher, Mailloux (if reinstated) suddenly decreases his value.

So no sir. Although I agree with your thinking, your proposal is completely off base..... as this is a move the Habs simply may have to make. Something has to give, and smarter GMs know it.
SomeonesOffended and RipNasty liked this.
Dec. 26, 2023 at 12:08 a.m.
Quoting: habitantlecolon
Do as i've done : tell them it's Knies + or nothing .... they will cry hard like Palhal!!

No crying. Just be telling Hughes to pound salt.

See my previous comment.

The idea behind the value of the D is sound. Habs issue is....... as I said..... it's a move that has to be made. Something has to give.
SomeonesOffended liked this.
Dec. 26, 2023 at 12:14 a.m.
Leafs are giving up far and away the two best assets here

Montreal fans also said the price for both Petry and Edmundson would be a 1st+, but that proved not to be true
Dec. 26, 2023 at 12:14 a.m.
fromtherivertothesea
Quoting: swinny
No crying. Just be telling Hughes to pound salt.

See my previous comment.

The idea behind the value of the D is sound. Habs issue is....... as I said..... it's a move that has to be made. Something has to give.

No rush for us to move one of our dmen. We are in a situation where teams dream to be, having to many young quality dmen. Savard is going to be moved to make space for someone but for me it’s clear that it’s going to take a 1st to convince Hughes to move him.
Dec. 26, 2023 at 12:22 a.m.
Quoting: batman
No rush for us to move one of our dmen. We are in a situation where teams dream to be, having to many young quality dmen. Savard is going to be moved to make space for someone but for me it’s clear that it’s going to take a 1st to convince Hughes to move him.

Why is Savard going to be move ? He’s the only RHD who can play top 4 minutes
Dec. 26, 2023 at 12:26 a.m.
Amirov Forever
Leafs and Habs won't trade with each other. It's that simple. Making those kinds of trades on here is always a nightmare because Habs fans think every dude on their roster is worth the Sun and the Moon, and Leafs fans always shoot way too low. Just stop
Dec. 26, 2023 at 12:26 a.m.

That maybe, but it won't be, or shouldn't be the Leafs..... and definitely not with Minten. Further, not moving Savard really does depend on where Hughes and Co. sit with Xhekaj and Reinbacher in particular. Developing players is great. Stunting development is not...... and there in lies the quandary.

If the Leafs were to move a 1st.... I maintain I would want a Borgen type...... young-ish, with some term and physical. Someone who could be around beyind next season. Savard doesn't check all those boxes.

I would not think of moving a 1st for Tanev either......

Nothing against the players here, more a lack of asset and being smart managing it.
Dec. 26, 2023 at 12:27 a.m.
Quoting: CBA

Then move the Leafs Barron and let's call it a day🤣
Dec. 26, 2023 at 12:33 a.m.
Quoting: NorthernLeafsFan05
Leafs and Habs won't trade with each other. It's that simple. Making those kinds of trades on here is always a nightmare because Habs fans think every dude on their roster is worth the Sun and the Moon, and Leafs fans always shoot way too low. Just stop

No, they deal. Just not often. And when they do, the Leafs get fleeced.

Plekanec..... I didn't mind that one too much, but the pick was steep..... especially when you follow that trade tree it leads to Hutson.

Courtnall for Kordic? One of the great blunders of the Ballard era.

Greg Hubick for Doug Jarvis? Your welcome.

I think I have proved my point 🤣
Dec. 26, 2023 at 1:25 a.m.
mokumboi
Okay, well now you've overcompensated.
Dec. 26, 2023 at 2:49 a.m.
fromtherivertothesea

There are only 6 spots available. For next year let’s set the hierarchy.

100% getting a spot = Matheson Guhle
High Chance they have a spot if they’re not moved : Barron Kovacevic Savard
Going to fight for the remaining couple of spots : Struble Harris Xhekaj Mailloux Hutson ( maybe )
Dec. 26, 2023 at 4:01 a.m.
Edited Dec. 26, 2023 at 4:28 a.m.
David Savard, the next 'well if Chiarot got that retun, he should too' defenseman.

'Leafs fans have been trading for these two for a few days now and everytime they are told no their argument is they are "injury prone and washed", well then why trade for them in the first place?'

This entire thought is non-sensical. Why trade for them in the first place? Because the Leafs don't have the assets to go big fish hunting in a Lindholm or a Hanifin. The fans are choosing to focus on what should be low cost options at the expense of them being gambles. If everything works out they should be productive players, yes, but thats a big IF and the fact its a big question with these players lowers their value.

Now beyond that nonsense, players values at the deadline are largely influenced by the market at large. The best player at any given position usually fetches a good haul because he is the best player, not because he is necessarily a good player. In the wider view, where do these guys rank? Are they the best players at their positions? Of course not. Are they 2nd? Probably not. 3rd? Maybe but even then you'd have to make a case for it. How often do you see 3 players from the same position all fetching high price tags at the deadline? You don't.
RipNasty liked this.
Dec. 26, 2023 at 7:47 a.m.
Jesus Christ Is King

Xhekaj-Mailloux in 6 games together have 4 points each playing top pair minutes
Like the Coach said "those first two games were hard to watch but they clicked"
After that they've been basically point per game players playing 22+ minutes and pounding everyone in sight.
Holding them down isnt smart as Xhekaj's eating **** with a grin for now because his parents, friends and teammates are all back "its just temporary"
Still you can tell he resents being down there when lesser players are in the NHL but gets they wont be there after TDL

Win or Loss you want those 2 up for when Lane Hutson gets here in 80 days and counting until he last possible NCAA game if he wins the title in the Finals.
Unless they plan on sending Hutson to Laval then i dont know about this organization anymore
That said if memory serves in the last 6 Laval is 4-0-2 since Xhekaj-Mailloux took top pair from Trudeau-Bisson(Previously Struble-Trudeau)
They could go on a run i suppose but i dont see the point in waiting that long

Move 2-3 D if you can at the TDL like lesser guys to the rebuild in Kovy(i love him but not Longterm guy), Lindstrom and Harris IMO
Struble being this far ahead and a better version of Harris just makes it an easy call to move him while Harris's Value is arguably the highest of anyone outside Guhle or Matherson really.
Savard is easier to move at the Draft ,Why? teams post Playoffs are looking to trade up at the same time they got low evaluations of players that let them down in the playoffs or merely didnt step up.
A lot easier to get value there and make an impact move.
Campabee liked this.
Dec. 26, 2023 at 7:55 a.m.
Jesus Christ Is King
Quoting: Byrr
David Savard, the next 'well if Chiarot got that retun, he should too' defenseman.

'Leafs fans have been trading for these two for a few days now and everytime they are told no their argument is they are "injury prone and washed", well then why trade for them in the first place?'

This entire thought is non-sensical. Why trade for them in the first place? Because the Leafs don't have the assets to go big fish hunting in a Lindholm or a Hanifin. The fans are choosing to focus on what should be low cost options at the expense of them being gambles. If everything works out they should be productive players, yes, but thats a big IF and the fact its a big question with these players lowers their value.

Now beyond that nonsense, players values at the deadline are largely influenced by the market at large. The best player at any given position usually fetches a good haul because he is the best player, not because he is necessarily a good player. In the wider view, where do these guys rank? Are they the best players at their positions? Of course not. Are they 2nd? Probably not. 3rd? Maybe but even then you'd have to make a case for it. How often do you see 3 players from the same position all fetching high price tags at the deadline? You don't.

Cant use that example without why we said it
"If Savard got that return , Chariot can get it"
Context should always be included

That said i dont think Savard gets what he did when he was in CBJ
He won a Cup after that trade so it justified the high pay
I dont think you get that again Unless MTL gets a 3rd team to RS getting him down to a League minimum deal
I could see him getting a B/A- Prospect and Top Quality pick or two and some depth

Depends really he's 2 goals 5 pts in 6 games averaging 22 minutes since returning from injury
If he continues to consistently produce at all ends then who knows ?
Longer we keep him while he's playing like this , the better
Dec. 26, 2023 at 9:01 a.m.
Rip
Quoting: habitantlecolon

You are one of the 3 trolls proposing this trade.
Dec. 26, 2023 at 9:17 a.m.
Rip

They aren't quality until they are proven. The Sens were supposed to be the best up and coming team and many of their super high end prospects haven't exactly put it together. Don't count your chickens before they hatch man.
Dec. 26, 2023 at 9:19 a.m.
Rip

Incorrect, he's the RD playing top 4 minutes but he can't play that effectively either. Just more reliable than the kids who don't know how to do it yet. But Savard is not in anyway a top 4 defenceman on a good team.
Dec. 26, 2023 at 10:38 a.m.
fromtherivertothesea
Quoting: RipNasty
Incorrect, he's the RD playing top 4 minutes but he can't play that effectively either. Just more reliable than the kids who don't know how to do it yet. But Savard is not in anyway a top 4 defenceman on a good team.

Savard is a top 4 dmen on any team.
Dec. 26, 2023 at 10:53 a.m.
Yeah, some of us get these D have inherent value, but Minten and a 1st? Come on🤣🤣🤣

I am not opposed to moving a 1st as a Leafs fan, but it is going to be for a younger D with term..... like a Will Borgen type.

Realistically, I would move Villneuve and a 2nd (if the Leafs actually had one this decade) for Savard.... and that would be with retention.

Here is the thing about dealing with the Habs:

You have a huge glut on the right side. Don't think for a minute that is lost..... so knowing that moving Savard makes room for one of Kovacevic, or Xhekaj, or Reinbacher, Mailloux (if reinstated) suddenly decreases his value.

So no sir. Although I agree with your thinking, your proposal is completely off base..... as this is a move the Habs simply may have to make. Something has to give, and smarter GMs know it.

Sorry but that's the price to acquire Monahan and Savard (I forgot to add the retention on Savard).

Monahan will cost Minton + the 3rd
Savard gets the late 1st + Villneuve (I agree it would be more along the lines of a 2nd + a better prospect but the Leafs don't have a 2nd so downgrading the prospect and upgrading the pick was the only reasonable choice, I mean you wouldn't want me to have gone Cowan or Knies + a 3rd-5th instead would you?)

Mailloux has already been cleared to play but is still at least 2 years out, Reinbacher is doing well in Europe but he will still go to Laval next season, Xhekaj is a LD so no idea why he would be in the mix here, and Kovacevic is most likely the odd man out at 26 and on a really team friendly deal he will be easy to move.
Dec. 26, 2023 at 11:45 a.m.
Quoting: Campabee
Sorry but that's the price to acquire Monahan and Savard (I forgot to add the retention on Savard).

Monahan will cost Minton + the 3rd
Savard gets the late 1st + Villneuve (I agree it would be more along the lines of a 2nd + a better prospect but the Leafs don't have a 2nd so downgrading the prospect and upgrading the pick was the only reasonable choice, I mean you wouldn't want me to have gone Cowan or Knies + a 3rd-5th instead would you?)

Mailloux has already been cleared to play but is still at least 2 years out, Reinbacher is doing well in Europe but he will still go to Laval next season, Xhekaj is a LD so no idea why he would be in the mix here, and Kovacevic is most likely the odd man out at 26 and on a really team friendly deal he will be easy to move.

What make you think the Leafs need Monahan? Nope. And asking the WJ teams captain is crazy talk. And a 3rd top of that?

Monahan probably gets a late 1st or early 2, but definitely not from the Leafs.
Dec. 26, 2023 at 12:16 p.m.
Then move the Leafs Barron and let's call it a day🤣

For Liljegren maybe

There are only 6 spots available. For next year let’s set the hierarchy.

100% getting a spot = Matheson Guhle
High Chance they have a spot if they’re not moved : Barron Kovacevic Savard
Going to fight for the remaining couple of spots : Struble Harris Xhekaj Mailloux Hutson ( maybe )

Savard is a lock for the top 4 like Matheson & Guhle. The rest will fight for the remaining spots. The others will be sent in Laval

Quoting: Billy316
Xhekaj-Mailloux in 6 games together have 4 points each playing top pair minutes
Like the Coach said "those first two games were hard to watch but they clicked"
After that they've been basically point per game players playing 22+ minutes and pounding everyone in sight.
Holding them down isnt smart as Xhekaj's eating **** with a grin for now because his parents, friends and teammates are all back "its just temporary"
Still you can tell he resents being down there when lesser players are in the NHL but gets they wont be there after TDL

Win or Loss you want those 2 up for when Lane Hutson gets here in 80 days and counting until he last possible NCAA game if he wins the title in the Finals.
Unless they plan on sending Hutson to Laval then i dont know about this organization anymore
That said if memory serves in the last 6 Laval is 4-0-2 since Xhekaj-Mailloux took top pair from Trudeau-Bisson(Previously Struble-Trudeau)
They could go on a run i suppose but i dont see the point in waiting that long

Move 2-3 D if you can at the TDL like lesser guys to the rebuild in Kovy(i love him but not Longterm guy), Lindstrom and Harris IMO
Struble being this far ahead and a better version of Harris just makes it an easy call to move him while Harris's Value is arguably the highest of anyone outside Guhle or Matherson really.
Savard is easier to move at the Draft ,Why? teams post Playoffs are looking to trade up at the same time they got low evaluations of players that let them down in the playoffs or merely didnt step up.
A lot easier to get value there and make an impact move.

Only Matheson Savard & Guhle are top 4 dman. The others are bottom pairing dman, you don’t trade a top 4 dman to make room for another #6. Guys can play in Laval (Hutson, Reinbacher, Mailloux, Struble, etc.)

Quoting: RipNasty

Yes on a contender he would be a bottom pairing dman, but on a lot of teams he would he playing top 4 minutes. In MTL he is playing top pairing minutes so he is very valuable for us.
batman liked this.
Dec. 26, 2023 at 1:06 p.m.
What make you think the Leafs need Monahan? Nope. And asking the WJ teams captain is crazy talk. And a 3rd top of that?

Monahan probably gets a late 1st or early 2, but definitely not from the Leafs.

Read the thread title and description, this isnt me proposing a trade it's in response to all of the Leafs fans ACGM'S proposing like a 2 3rds and 2 5ths for them with retention. I know the Leafs aren't looking to add a center, it's one of the reasons I laugh at the Lindholm offerings from Leafs fans, with Tavares and Mathews in the top 6 they are not trading valuable assets for Lindholm to play either him or Tavares on the wing or at 3C, that just makes 0 sense. However Monahan at 3C is an upgrade on the likes of Domi and Kampf so it is at least more in the realm of possibility, however unlikely.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll